Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. what if we added a choice to transfer sheets from bottom to left side instead of column A?

what if we can add a choice for users to transfer sheets from bottom to left side instead of column A?
    as excel user, I start using first sheet, then second one then third one then I find myself using high NO of sheets which makes finding specific sheet boring and frustrating. and if we have high NO of sheets, it will be harder even if I name the sheets

but what if we had the ability to transfer all sheets from bottom to left side from top as they fill all column A and column A starts the next…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Preserve conditional formatting in Mac pivot table

Please add the conditional formatting "Apply Rule To" feature to Mac Excel. This is already in Windows. It is insanely frustrating that I need to re-apply the conditional formatting to every column every time I expand a pivot table or add data or really do anything to the pivot table. Thank you.

Also discussed here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/how-do-you-apply-conditional-formats-to-fields-in/7235070e-eeca-4b09-abd2-424e80333b06

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Data Validation List able to work with Array Constants

Please make the Data Validation List feature work with array constants.
    Like to be able to define a named Array Constant and use that in a Validation List. After all they are both lists and the Data Validation list works with a classic Named Array.

Requirement scenario is to share a workbook across organisations and ensure consistent data entry or option selection without VBA, as VBA is often stripped/blocked at organisational boundaries. This would be a very simple and straightforward solution improving user experience and organisational efficiency.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. give us a keyboard shortcut for copy/paste formatting (please!)

I LOVE the paintbrush button (copy/paste formatting) but I desperately need a keyboard shortcut for it!

(Either a pre-set shortcut, or the ability to create my own keyboard shortcuts ...)

Thanks in advance :)

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Copy paste conditional formatting only

Being able to copy conditional formatting and paste it without pasting the all format of the cell, only the conditional formatting.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. change comment line

Permit changing comment line color (the little line connecting the comment to the cell) so it can be black. It's ALWAYS yellow now and no one can see it.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. auto fit row height

either missing or does not function properly as i have yet to find the setting - so i end up creating on the mac then editing on a windows box. Used to be that on the mac it was a better product than windows - if you are going to offer it then do not do it half-way

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. implement a way to split cells in a table.

Have a way to split a single cell in a table into multiple rows or columns (subrows and subcolumns of the main table)

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Text overflow in a cell using Soft hyphen

We need a mechanism in Excel what to break the words for text wrapping according to column width. Please give us hyphenate by syllables.
    This feature is supported in Word as a soft hyphen; if the line doesn't break at the hyphen, it is invisible.
    Now using text wrapping is 95% of the time ugly.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Changing the Colors or shape of the Comments in Excel 2016

Give an option feature to change the background color of comment box in Excel 2016 for Mac

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Font format or cell width changed in 2016

I have many spreadsheets in which I had tailored cell widths to just fit the text I had in column headers, and upon upgrading to 2016, either the font format has changed or the cell widths have become smaller to the extent that many of my column headers have words that are split on two lines now. What did Microsoft do to make a global change in formats that has affected many of my spreadsheets? Is anyone else seeing this?

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Translator Function... add it.

Need the Translator function add to Microsoft Excel for Mac... all versions...

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Formatting comments

I want to be able change the color of the comment box and its border line, and change the color of the connecting arrow that connects the comment to the cell.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. touch

Please, add a function of customising Touch Bar! There are only default functions on it with no opportunity of customising! It is horrible!

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. I would like the ability to have thinner lines when formatting cell borders

I am using Microsoft Excel to create some Accounting Sheets instead of using the PDF's I was given. A lot of cells I will need to format with borders and as it currently stands the border options in Microsoft Excel for Mac is limited to 3 solid lines and if I am correct the thinnest line is 1 Point.

However, in Microsoft Word when creating Tables I am given the option of 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1 and all the way up to 6 Point. Being able to have these options would allow my spreadsheet to more closely resemble the PDF…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Be able to bring hair line in excel for Mac

Be able to bring hair line in excel for Mac

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Cannot change number of decimal places

I have attempted to assign 4 decimal places to all values in a large table of values. Using the usual method of highlighting the whole array of cells and using FORMAT-CELLS-NUMBER-decimal places 4 does changes most of the values to 4 decimal places but a few columns show 0, 1, 2, 3 or other number of decimals. Using the Increase or Decrease Decimal button on the Home ribbon does nothing, although the increase/decrease decimal buttons work fine on the columns of numbers successfully set to 4 decimal places. Yet another glitch in this worst-ever version of Excel.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Floating, reshapeable, self-customized command toolbars

Along with Styles, the FLOATING, SELF-CUSTOMIZED TOOLBARS in Word and Excel were among their most valuable features. Performing the usual functions without immediate visual, local access to numerous commands--and, instead, having to go to fantastically time-and-energy wasting pull-down menus, or dreary, multiple tab accessed toolbars anchored at the top of the page--is pathetically absurd. (Just a few examples among maybe 100: in Excel the 4 command icons for Insert Rows and Columns, print area, wrap-text or not. In Word, the several icons for creating or deleting specific borders in tables for cells, columns, and rows.) It would be great to…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Bring back the "Paragraph" formatting feature for text boxes (previously available on the menubar)

Excel for Mac 2011 previously included an option to edit features such as text alignment, indentation, line spacing, and other paragraph-related formatting features from the Format - Paragraph option on the menu bar.

However, for some reason, this is missing completely from the menu bar on Excel 2016 for Mac. It is now only available when right-clicking inside a text box. Please see the following image for the menu:

http://www.chapmancreativeworks.com/files/excel2016paragraphmenu.png

The Paragraph menu items are not available from the new Format Shape - Text Options pane on the right-hand side of the screen, either. There are options for…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Font color of words within a sentence

I often want to highlight a certain word in a sentence by changing the color of the word.

BEFORE: all I needed to do is double click the cell where the sentence resides, then select the word or words I want to color change , then select the color.

NOW: when I do the above ... the word or words show up with the new color ... but as soon as I hit enter ... the color disappears.

I should note ... SOMETIMES IT WORKS AND THE COLOR REMAINS ... AND OTHER TIMES IT DOES NOT WORK

PLEASE CORRECT THIS!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base