Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bring back option to remove black line around embedded Word documents

Enable Shape Format --Shape Outline options for embedded Word documents on spreadsheet that appear as objects. In past versions of Excel, you could remove the black line in formatting so that text appeared on the sheet without a border. Haven't been able to turn in reports for over a year in newer version. Only works with the text box which defeats the purpose of being about to Word functions such as grammar, etc. inside Excel.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please return the customized keyboard!!!

Customized Keyboard option is really helpful to make the app work for you efficiently.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Superscript symbol for the letters c, f, q, and z.

Please add a superscript symbol for the letters c, f, q, and z. Formatting a letter as superscript in the cell doesn't translate to Microsoft Word table legends. These are the only letters currently missing a superscript symbol option.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Let user control decimals; do not automatically modify input values

Excel will change the number of decimals displayed when a user inputs numbers. For scientific and engineering applications, this has huge impacts on our data.
    The input 2.00 is very different than 2, because fewer decimals displayed implies that we have not measured precisely or that we have a large amount of error in the number.
    This applies across Excel. For example, I recently made a chart where the data was measured to three significant figures (ie my inputs were 5.24, 6.00, 6.25) but the line graph on the y-axis shows the markers "5.2, 5.6, 6, 6.4." This makes my…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Pensez-vous revenir au + par défaut lorsque l'on crée une formule utilisant plusieurs sommes à additionner, comme vous le faisiez dès l'orig

A l'origine l'addition de plusieurs sommes non alignées se faisait par un clic, le signe + étant pris par défaut. Depuis 'origine de Mac j'utilise cette faculté. La suppression de cette possibilité est très handicapante.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Paste value different excel file

When copying cells with values to a different excel file, paste values does not work. Ctrl--cmd--v. Rather it does the annoying paste special

Paste values works within the same excel file, but not to a different.

Please fix

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Please, let us change the page size again to custom sizes!

I have to change the paper size to 90cm width, but obviously it isn't possible anymore in Excel 2016! How am I supposed to print my files now? The support assistant told me that it actually isn't possible, but sent me - as a workaround - a link to a forum entry where people were complaining about the lack of this feature... by the way, the workaround didn't work! ^^ People in the forum suggested using Numbers instead. As a matter of fact, I probably will have to do that as the quality of excel is getting worse and worse…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Translator Function... add it.

Need the Translator function add to Microsoft Excel for Mac... all versions...

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Clarify the units of measure for row height and column width. What are these dimensionless numbers? conversion factors? clarify!

Whatever the cell width and length are, be clear what it is and give conversion factors to some common units of measure like cm or inches - anything actually measurable with a ruler or micrometer.

You are not even using the same units for vertical and horizontal - Pick one well known unit to use for both directions. Then Help file could give a list of conversions to anyone in any country.

Metric system seems appropriate rather than some unexplained dimensionless number.

Inches is not accepted in my edition of EXCEL contrary to what is described by other users who…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Text overflow in a cell using Soft hyphen

We need a mechanism in Excel what to break the words for text wrapping according to column width. Please give us hyphenate by syllables.
    This feature is supported in Word as a soft hyphen; if the line doesn't break at the hyphen, it is invisible.
    Now using text wrapping is 95% of the time ugly.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Changing the Colors or shape of the Comments in Excel 2016

Give an option feature to change the background color of comment box in Excel 2016 for Mac

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. include a date picker function for excel, similar to the the date picker on the developer tab in word

include a date picker function for excel, similar to the the date picker on the developer tab in word

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Align the validation button on the right side when cells are merged

When for layout purposes i need cells to be merged and need a validation list in that merged cel, the button isn’t alligned at the most right cell.
    Please fix this. Now it , the button, is aligned on the right side of the most left cell. However the text is right alligned in the right cell. The button covers the text, when the cell is selected????

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. add a "distribute columns evenly" in Excel

Please, please, please add a "distribute columns evenly" button

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Cut and paste appears to append Chinese type characters and symbols

A few months ago it seems like during an update, we began getting problems while cutting and pasting from Excel into standard text editors. For some unknown reason there would be hundreds and sometimes thousands of Chinese type characters and symbols. Anyway to address this would be great. Thanks.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Include format options for controls

Currently there does not appear to be a method to format controls (Check boxes, Option Buttons etc) in Excel for Mac 2016. When inserting a control, there is a fixed size and font only which may not not be suitable. Provision needs to be made for a user to format the font/size of the control text/label and potentially the size of the control itself (size of the checkbox for instance).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Copy paste conditional formatting only

Being able to copy conditional formatting and paste it without pasting the all format of the cell, only the conditional formatting.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Font color of words within a sentence

I often want to highlight a certain word in a sentence by changing the color of the word.

BEFORE: all I needed to do is double click the cell where the sentence resides, then select the word or words I want to color change , then select the color.

NOW: when I do the above ... the word or words show up with the new color ... but as soon as I hit enter ... the color disappears.

I should note ... SOMETIMES IT WORKS AND THE COLOR REMAINS ... AND OTHER TIMES IT DOES NOT WORK

PLEASE CORRECT THIS!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. give us a keyboard shortcut for copy/paste formatting (please!)

I LOVE the paintbrush button (copy/paste formatting) but I desperately need a keyboard shortcut for it!

(Either a pre-set shortcut, or the ability to create my own keyboard shortcuts ...)

Thanks in advance :)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base