Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Still no 'live preview' function in any version of Office for Mac.

Live preview has been a very useful feature of Office programs since 2010, but it's still not featured on any Mac version, at least up to and including Office 2016. Why not??

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bring back custom keyboard shortcuts

In this answer to "Bring back custom keyboard shortcuts" https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304933-excel-for-mac?query=Bring%20back%20custom%20keyboard%20shortcuts the MS team states I can find the customization option under Tools > Customize Keyboard and links to this article to show how: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-a-custom-keyboard-shortcut-for-office-for-mac-6bbeb90e-96d9-4e03-b199-fc026ebdc321?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

This is NOT the case. There is no option for Customize Keyboard in the Tools menu in Excel 2016 for MAC. You guys blew it when you removed the ability of a user to create a custom key combo to complete a command.

For example I always used the F1 key to delete cells and rows, which I do a lot. I used Option+click to add…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Remove "Copy of" to Save as in version 16.17

In Excel version 16.17, when you click on "Save as" it adds "Copy of" to the filename. In all previous versions, it never did this. Please remove the "Copy of" in the next release of Excel for MAC.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. make a button for making lower case letters into uppercase letters

make a button for making lower case letters into uppercase letters

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Use enter rather than escape to accept a dropdown entry

Currently in XL2016, if you're using a cell that has access to a dropdown list and, in the midst of typing an entry decide to use a selection from the dropdown list, to ACCEPT the entry you've chosen, you have to press ESCAPE, whilst the ENTER button results in an error message. That seems counter-intuitive, since everywher else escape means "no", "reject" or "leave", whilst enter/return is equivalent to "yes" or "accept". Please adjust this so it is more in accord with the User Interface.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. touchbar edit in cell button

please - its so simple
    or just give me the option to customise it myself

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. excel mac bug. holding down command and selecting a cell multiple times will eventually darken the cell to black.

excel mac bug. holding down command and selecting a cell multiple times will eventually darken the cell to black.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. After copying/pasting information, remove the copied information from the memory and remove the distracting circling lines.

After copying and subsequently pasting information, remove the copied information from the memory - or at least remove the distracting circling lines.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Include disable function for Excel 2016 (Mac) 'feature' where a copy cell border continues to 'move' like ants. It is very annoying.

Include a disable function for Excel 2016 (Mac) 'feature' where a copied cell border continues to 'move' like ants. This 'feature' is very annoying.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Revert the Stupid Automatic Small text->Normal Text in formula bar

New'ish functionality in the formula bar where text is shown small until the bar is clicked on (to edit the text) when the text suddenly jumps to be normal sized text. Drives me mad as you position the mouse cursor to the point you wish to edit, click and suddenly the text jumps in size and the cursor is at the wrong point!!! Daft functionality that, is some want should be a preference setting. Drives me mad as have to position the cursor and click twice to exit existing text.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Delete command keystroke

One of the first customizations that I installed in past versions of Excel was to create a keystroke for the Delete command. I chose command-D.
    Now in the 2016 version I can't find a way to do this. Please give us keyboard customization, or add my command-D to the 'Delete...' menu command.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow me to turn off the feature that leaves copied cell highlighted after pasting.

Allow me to turn off the feature that leaves copied cells highlighted after pasting. I'm sure it's helpful to some people, but for a lot of us it's annoying. Please provide a way to turn it off.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Copy and paste - it would be nice to have to option to copy cell including formula and format and then paste this cell to another cell.

Some times instead of reentering data, formulas, relations, or formating elements, you could just copy (or cut) and paste from one place in spreadsheet to another. This is well understood and an original feature of many software apps including excel of times ago. It seems that this has been removed from the current release of excel 16.10. It might be something to bring back.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. I am unable to edit the comment box, why?

unable to edit comment box in Excel for Mac

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Insert Sheet Row As Default Instead of Insert Copied Cells

When data is on the clipboard, clicking "Insert" in the Ribbon automatically inserts that data, again and again and again. I'd rather disable this "feature" or enable inserting blank rows/columns instead of the clipboard data.

I often insert the data and then two or three blank rows after it, but this keeps on pasting the data on the clipboard. It's a huge pain.

Let us customize how Insert works (Ribbon button).

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Not working anymore the shift+cmd+* shortcut!!

Hi!

Could you please help me with the following issue related to this post?
    I have Excel 2016 in a Mac and previously I was using the following shortcut to select ONLY VISIBLE ROWS from filtered data:

SHIFT + CMD + *

After that I could copy the data and will copy only the visible information and not the hidden information, or I could delete only the visible rows without deleting the hidden ones.

But a month or so ago after an update I cannot longer do that and when I do SHIFT + CMD + * what it does…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Text formatting

Can we please have a one button control in the formatting tab which will format text to upper, lower, sentence or proper case. Eg:

upper --> UPPER
    LoWeR --> lower
    sentence Case -->Sentence case
    proper case --> Proper Case

I would write a macro to do this but the VBA editor is useless.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. First Comment Keystroke Not Recorded

When creating a new worksheet cell comment or editing an existing one, Excel 2016 (Office 366) fails to recognize and record the first key stroke which, in turn, forces the user to go back to the beginning of the comment and add that missing first character.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add a paragraph tap to the cell format window

As you open the format cell function, with the paragraph format function (the same that is in word) one can do the following:
    1- Increase / decrease the space before the text.
    2- add bullet points or number points.
    3- adjust the tap position for each cell.
    4- insert a numbering system that can be carried through out the same style in the worksheet.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base