Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Why is it that the most important tool in the Tool Bar, the one for editing what you have entered in a cell, KEEPS DISAPPEARING!!!

The field that is necessary when you need to edit or add to ANYTHING in a cell seems to have no name and periodically DISAPPEARS FROM THE TOOL BARS!!!!! I can't even find a name for it!!! DAMN! This reminds me of the old Lotus 1-2-3 when you were "Just supposed to know" that f2 was delete, it wasn't written down anywhere, it wasn't even on the key template! This is the same thing, the field I use the most is just GONE!!!!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you give a bit more info about the control you are talking about? (maybe a screenshot, or describe the control a bit more)

Unfortunately, while I can tell you’re frustrated, I’m not quite sure what tool you’re referring to. In order to edit a cell, all you should have to do is click the cell and start typing.

Also – what version of Excel are you using?

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

2. Revert the ungodly change to make the first key press open a cell instead of type into it

Why did Excel 15.22 change to make the first key press open a cell instead of immediately typing into it? That hasn’t changed that since the 90s and is makes Excel incredibly frustrating to use.

This behavior ONLY occurs on the Mac version and NOT the Windows version.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow edit mode in 'Change PivotTable date source' Location box

In Excel for windows, when changing the datasource location for pivot tables, you can use F2 to switch to edit mode and move the cursor around the location box to type the datasource location.

There doesn't appear to be an equivalent edit mode for this dialog box (and presumably others where F2 works in windows Excel) on Excel for Mac.

This is infuriating - it is often much quicker just to amend the data source location by typing rather than selecting cells. The only solution I've found is to highlight all the text in the location box, paste it to…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Show number of cells selected

I would like the screen to somewhere show a readout of how many cells are selected. Whether I'm selecting a group of cells to either paste to, or copy from (or even just select to get a manual count, without copying or pasting), I'm amazed that a program as mature as Excel does not have the simple, basic functionality of showing how many cells are selected. Please implement this!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Find & Replace - Look In Dropdown Missing

Please bring the Find & Replace Windows Functionality to the Mac version. You can't Find & Replace items in Formulas.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Make boxes like 'define name' box and define data for charts resizable.

Not sure if this is editing Make the floating boxes like 'define name' and specify data for charts resizable. They are very difficult to use if names are longer than just a few characters. e.g. when defining a name from a different work book.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Put the keyboard shortcuts for deletes back on? the ctrl-K and Ctrl-i (that italicizes everything)

We use Ctrl-K to delete an entire line and Ctrl-I inserted a line (copied or just a blank). Both of those are missing and we need them back desperately! Using ctrl-i just italicizes everything instead. Please put these back?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Edit cell shortcut should be one click of the "return/enter" key like Google Sheets - two clicks for next cell

Edit cell should be one click of the "return/enter" key like Google Sheets - two clicks for next cell

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Reinstate ability to temporarily evaluate part of a formula in the formula bar

In all previous versions of Excel for Mac, it was possible, while building a complex formula in the formula bar, to temporarily evaluate part of the formula by highlighting it and then using Cmd-= (Command & <equal sign>). To return the highlighted expression to what it was before evaluating, you then used Cmd-. (Command & <period>).

In Mac Excel 2016, the first part of this works fine, but the second part doesn't work at all - you are stuck with the evaluation, and there is no way to return to the expression that gave rise to it. In other words,…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 4 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base