Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Quick Access Toolbar button for 'Open'

Excel for PC has a toolbar button for this function that can be added from the 'All Commands' list. Excel for MAC does not. The current process required 1-3 clicks to get to the list of files to open.
    Please add this button to the available options for the Quick Access Toolbar.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Stop Office 365 Apps enumerating the recent file list when the file menu is clicked.

In Office 365 apps for Mac (eg Excel, Word) if the “File>Open Recent” list contains a file from located on a network volume (such as AFP or SMB) when the user clicks on the File menu the computer attempts to mount the network volume(s) where the file(s) resides.

This behaviour is unwanted as it can cause a lag when clicking on the File menu, it also can cause Office 365 Apps to hang when on slow data links or display numerous OS network credential request dialogue boxes.

Versions:
    Excel Mac 16.28 (19081202)
    Excel Mac 16.29 (19081305)

Suggested action:
    Stop this…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add local Mac support for Auto-save

In earlier versions of Office for Mac (e.g. 2011) the auto-save function saved a copy to wherever on the Mac hard drive you desired - either a native folder, or iCloud or DropBox. Then 2016 and Office 365 came along and slyly required you to license OneDrive in order for this function to work. FOUL PLAY! Make it work on the native hard drive and other (more popular) cloud file-sharing services again.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Touch ID to open a password protected spreadsheet please

Please can we have the option of using Touch ID on excel for Mac 2019 in addition to a password?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Excel save state quit - allow Excel to quit without saving your changes while keeping edits

I frequently find myself force quitting Excel to save my window state. While not ideal, it accomplishes saving my work without committing the changes to the documents I'm working on. Sometimes a user just needs to close Excel without taking time to figure out what they're saving. Adding save state OUTSIDE OF ONE DRIVE would be an immense addition to creating more flexible workflows and allow users to save and edit files at their own pace.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. I have a file who doesn`t open anymore, where can I find a solution to recover this file ?

I have a file who doesn`t open anymore, where can I find a solution to recover this file ?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Text file Save As File Format EOL character should be LF

When I save AS Tab Delimited or CSV it keeps using the old Mac EOL of CR from pre-Mac OS 9. Mac OS 10.x default EOL is LF, same as Unix/Linux. Apple switch to LF from CR in 2001, it's been 15 years.

LF should be for Save AS File format options of:
    CSV UTF-8 (Comma delimited)
    Comma Seperated Values (.csv)
    UTF-16 Unicode Text (.txt)
    Tab Delimited Text (.txt)
    Space Delimited Text (.prn)

If File Format Option says Windows or MS-DOS, then it should have an EOL of CR/LF, which is currently doing.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. AutoSave should work with files saved to the local drive - Mac and iOS

MacOS and iOS both have access to an excellent cloud based file store which is system wide. iCloud Drive. Forcing Mac and iOS users to exclusively use one drive complicates normal process and adds uncertainty when it comes to where files are stored. Further more, files stored in One Cloud are not backed up by TimeMachine and therefore not available for restore or roll back via techniques that Mac users would be familiar with.

Enable auto save for any location, not just oneDrive.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Retain workbook size in the workbook itself.

When a workbook opens, it goes to the size of the last workbook used. Instead, please save sizing in the workbook itself and initialize to that size when opening the book.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. reopen excel files on restart

Bring back the ability to reopen excel files on restart with Mac. The community has asked for this since v. 2011 and you ignore it. It has to be one of the top requests since it was removed. Very frustrating to see a great feature removed...

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. possibility to assign a star to a file for quick access on the go (i.e. price lists for quick reference)

Often I need to open some specific files on the go for quick referencing like price lists and manuals. A similar function like the star in Adobe Acrobat that allows you to quickly open a starred file without digging into the directories. It will help improving the productivity.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. How about fixing Excel 2016 for Mac so that it doesn't crash on "Save As"?

For several months Excel 2016 for Mac has been crashing every time I attempt "Save As". I'm running version 16.16.26 (200914) and MacOS 10.15.6 Catalina.

This is such a basic piece of functionality that I'm flabbergasted that Microsoft has not fixed it. I'm using Excel without any add-ons or such. It's just plain broken.

• Hasse
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Additional warning or options for saving .csv file

If a user is trying to save a csv file that has been modified with additional worksheets, give a user the opportunity to save the file as a different format before moving forward with keeping the file as a csv and discarding information on all other worksheets.

I feel like this is done in the windows versions.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Please rename AutoSave. People confuse it with AutoRecover

People do not understand that AutoSave is a new feature for OneDrive and SharePoint. They constantly mistake it for AutoRecover. AutoSave should be renamed something like CloudVersions or CloudRestore to indicate that it involves only files saved to the cloud,

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Have a File Open icon which can be added to the ribbon and the QAT

Currently the File Open command is not available to be added to the ribbon/QAT, even though File Save, Save As, Close, etc are. Please add so to make it easier to execute this common task

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Temporary stored files during saving Excel file cannot be deleted on NAS - .xlsx.sb

since the update to Mojave, Excel documents store repeatedly (not all files) temporary folders which are not deleted on NAS when one opens them with Microsoft Office 2016. This behavior seems related to the content within the Excel files. It looks like that as long as no diagram is saved in the Excel document the associated temporary file will be deleted as intended.

But if diagrams ore a more complex document structure is being created in the documents, then apparently not only temporary documents but folders are created during saving. After closing the document, you can no longer delete the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Excel will not open file from Onedrive - stuck on 'Starting' pop up

Excel will not open file from Onedrive - stuck on 'Starting' pop up - and if Excel opens (same with Word), it does not open the file - just goes white and crashes.

Any help is welcome!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Excel routinely freezes on save/open with files saved in my onedrive folder

Since switching to onedrive, and trying to use the onedrive sync tool, I am having constant freezes and crashes when saving to the local copy of the onedrive folder, but only from within excel. Sometimes its the spinning beachball of death, but most of the time it just says "saving" in the title bar forever and I have to force quit

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. stop the excel file format and extension alert popup on mac 16.14

excel file format and extension alert popup on mac 16.14 whenever an .xls file is downloaded from net or copied from one of the older system. this also prevents linking of dat in the file.

this is leading my entire organisation to ditch the office 365 and revert back to office 2013.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. the most recent update for office 2011 for mac breaks excel save on osx sierra 10.12.3

the most recent update for office 2011 for mac breaks excel save on osx sierra 10.12.3 please fix as it renders excel unusable for saving!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base