Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix hyperlink

I upgraded from Excel 2011 to Office 365 subscription for use on iMac running Sierra 10.13.2.
    For my excel spreadsheets, whereas previous 2011 version with hyperlinks opening jpg images in the hyperlink function was no problem
    In the latest version, I get the message additional permissions required then I have to grant access having looked through lists of jpg images. Please fix this UPGRADED' version of excel for mac.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Loading and deled files

Loading files with my new excell 2016 takes an extremely long time compared to my previous excell 2011.
    The program also requires an infinite amount of charging time when removing, copying and pasting.
    Gladly a solution for this problem.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add read-write support for OpenDocument files

Excel 2016 can now import and export OpenDocument spreadsheets with the help of cloud converter. However, the files are opened as read-only. What is needed is full read-write support for OpenDocument files, so that one can open an ODS file, edit it, and save it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. When saving an xls file, as an xlsx, give the option to replace the xls.

Files from my company server are all in xls format, but as I work on them I want to save them in xlsx that has the formating and is much smaller in size. As it is, I have to save it to xlsx and then remember to go in and delete the xls file.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Microsoft Excel 15.30 (Office 2016 for Mac) and earlier versions cannot open files

Microsoft Excel 15.30 (Office 2016 for Mac) and earlier versions cannot open files if pathname is long or contains special characters, generating the error message below which is not correct:

Microsoft Excel cannot access the file... There are several possible reasons:
    • The file name or path name does not exist.
    • The file you're trying to open is being used by another program. Close the document in the other program, and try again.

• The name of the workbook you're trying to save is the same as the name of another document that is read-only. Try saving the workbook

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Auto file backup

Prior to 2016, there exist an option set "Auto file backup". When I recently upgraded to 2016, this file backup feature has disappeared. Please bring it back as this is so vital for protecting previous work if I wanted to go back to the previous

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Fix the bug that prevents using File Save or File Save As to name or rename or copy a file

Get rid of the "Tags" line in the File Save and File Save As dialogue boxes. Since this was introduced in an "Update" it causes the Cancel and Save/OK buttons to be off the bottom of the screen and inaccessible. Thus you cannot either Save the File or Cancel the operation ad return to the unsaved spreadsheet. The only way out of this impasse is to Force Quit Excel, thereby losing all prior work, re-starting Excel and starting another spreadsheet.

The only workaround I have found is to select a file in Finder, use Duplicate File to create a copy…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

What version of Mac Excel are you running now, and what version didn’t have the issue you’re raising?

Thanks,
    Dan [MS]

9. Text file Save As File Format EOL character should be LF

When I save AS Tab Delimited or CSV it keeps using the old Mac EOL of CR from pre-Mac OS 9. Mac OS 10.x default EOL is LF, same as Unix/Linux. Apple switch to LF from CR in 2001, it's been 15 years.

LF should be for Save AS File format options of:
    CSV UTF-8 (Comma delimited)
    Comma Seperated Values (.csv)
    UTF-16 Unicode Text (.txt)
    Tab Delimited Text (.txt)
    Space Delimited Text (.prn)

If File Format Option says Windows or MS-DOS, then it should have an EOL of CR/LF, which is currently doing.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 'Save as...' window is truncated so cannot actually hit the 'Save' button

'Save as...' window is truncated so cannot actually see/hit the 'Save' button. Can't scroll though the window so have to make the whole screen full size in order for the Save As window to resize to fit the page. Is this a bug that needs fixing (v 2011)?

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Make VBA GetFileName work in Mac. It works fine in Windows.

There is no simple means of selecting a file name from a VBA macro on the Mac platform. The only workaround devised (as far as I know) is incredibly clumsy and does not allow use of the GetFileName or ChDir routines.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 3 5 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base