Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Honor the "Keep Windows" part of "Quit and Keep Windows"

(This goes not just for Excel, but for all apps in the Office 2016 for Mac suite.)

I usually have multiple documents open that I work on simultaneously. If I quit Excel, I want all of those documents to re-open the next time I use Excel. Otherwise I have to re-open each of them individually.

If I hold the Option key while clicking on the Excel dropdown at the top-left of the screen, the "Quit Excel" selection is changed to "Quit and Keep Windows." But when I quit Excel in this fashion, the windows I had open do NOT re-open…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bring Back Save Workspace

In prior version one had the ability to open & arrange several windows, then save the arrangement as a "workspace" [.xlw] file. In Excel 2011 the feature was renamed as Save Layout, but is yet another useful capability which has been ripped out in the 2016 release for Mac [I believe the Windows version retains the feature.]

Please restore that functionality.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Remember last window size when reopening a file

When I reopen a saved excel file, it never opens with the same size as the last time I saved the file. You need to implement a feature that remembers the window size and location each time the file is saved. Then, the next time the file is opened, it will appear in the same size and location on your desktop.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. when opening files in Finder instead of having to go to My Mac or One Drive, show list of all files in folder, same as Excel 2011

when opening files in Finder instead of having to go to My Mac or One Drive, show list of all files in folder, same as Excel 2011

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Keystroke command to open excel to the last file used

It would really be great if you could enable a keystroke command to both open excel and open to the last file used in Mac Office excel 2016.

I guess I could learn to write an apple script to do that but I'm a bit challenged at that...also no doubt better if the app engineer is the one fussing with it :-)

thanks for considering.

Tom O'Connell

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. FIX THE STINKING FILE PATH RESTRICTION OF 255 CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!

INCREASE OR ELIMINATE THE 255 CHARACTER LIMIT ON FILE PATHS.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow the user to clear all unpinned documents from the start-up window

This applies to all the programs in Office 2016 for Mac. Unlike the previous versions from 2011, in the newer and "improved" applications it is no longer possible to clean unpinned documents from the list that shows when Excel/Word/PowerPoint is launched. It's also impossible to clear the recent documents that show under File > Open Recent. This clearly reflects Microsoft's new and disrespectful stance on the privacy of their customers.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. saving single Sheets in pdf like 2011 version

In 2011 version of Excel for Mac it was great that the name of a sheet in a multisheet workbook appeared as default in the "Save as" window above when saving that particular sheet in PDF and checking the "Sheet" option instead of "Workbook" option. Now in Excel 2016 this isnt working anymore. It doesnt matter what option you check, it will only show the name of the Workbook in the "Save as" window. As this is really annoying and i use it on several occasions every day, would appreciate any help concerning the matter.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Open Dialogue

The open dialogue starts by displaying location options - One Drive, SharePoint and OnMy Mac.

Two issues - yes they are minor but I find them really annoying:

1. For corporate security reasons, I store virtually nothing online - it is all on my Mac. This extra step is very annoying and adds an extra click to every open document I do. Please add a way to always go directly to the On My Mac dialogue for those who so choose. We can always then click on the Online Locations button if we really want to go to one of the…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. autosave

My auto save was on and set for to save every 10 minutes I saved a excel file myself about 2 weeks ago and opened it up to work on it today I had been working on it and creating multiple graphs that I needed for an assignment for hours then all of the sudden excel quit on it own and didn't give me an option to save my work it did pop up with a message to send to error to mac so I clicked send when I reopened excel it only had the file I saved two weeks…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Insert a template into a worksheet and sync templates with other devices

1). When working on larger workbooks, for different projects, I need to compile a worksheet with several basic sheets and from other templates. I like to insert them directly from template into the sheet. Please make it possible.

2). A way to sync a template between different computers for same user or different users but same office account.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add Dropbox as an online source in the Office Apps

When opening new files, there is only the option for Onedrive. I would love to see Dropbox there just like the online versions of office and the Microsoft versions.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Saving a file in new folder

while saving the opened file through 'save as' option, it does not give option for 'new folder'

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Remove Cap on File Path Length - We Shouldn't Have to Move Files to Save Them

A limit on the length of a file name is fine, but limiting the file path length means that if your life is complicated by folders within folders then you regularly have to move around folders just to save documents in Excel. This is very tedious and creates new possibilities for error while working.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Resume for Office Applications

Intro: For almost 5 years, since Apple released Mac OS X Lion in July 2011), Mac users enjoyed "Resume" feature that enables applications to re-open in exactly the same state as before quitting the application or restarting the system, including window positions and contents of unsaved files.

Problem: Lack of the "Resume" feature is what makes me dread logging off and restarting Windows. Especially when I have multiple Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents open in different virtual desktops on two monitors - having to re-create this setup after the restart is really annoying.

Suggestion: I suggest Microsoft implements this functionality…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Excel routinely freezes on save/open with files saved in my onedrive folder

Since switching to onedrive, and trying to use the onedrive sync tool, I am having constant freezes and crashes when saving to the local copy of the onedrive folder, but only from within excel. Sometimes its the spinning beachball of death, but most of the time it just says "saving" in the title bar forever and I have to force quit

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Excel will not open file from Onedrive - stuck on 'Starting' pop up

Excel will not open file from Onedrive - stuck on 'Starting' pop up - and if Excel opens (same with Word), it does not open the file - just goes white and crashes.

Any help is welcome!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. I have a file who doesn`t open anymore, where can I find a solution to recover this file ?

I have a file who doesn`t open anymore, where can I find a solution to recover this file ?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. stop the excel file format and extension alert popup on mac 16.14

excel file format and extension alert popup on mac 16.14 whenever an .xls file is downloaded from net or copied from one of the older system. this also prevents linking of dat in the file.

this is leading my entire organisation to ditch the office 365 and revert back to office 2013.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. the most recent update for office 2011 for mac breaks excel save on osx sierra 10.12.3

the most recent update for office 2011 for mac breaks excel save on osx sierra 10.12.3 please fix as it renders excel unusable for saving!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base