Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix hyperlink

I upgraded from Excel 2011 to Office 365 subscription for use on iMac running Sierra 10.13.2.
    For my excel spreadsheets, whereas previous 2011 version with hyperlinks opening jpg images in the hyperlink function was no problem
    In the latest version, I get the message additional permissions required then I have to grant access having looked through lists of jpg images. Please fix this UPGRADED' version of excel for mac.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Loading and deled files

Loading files with my new excell 2016 takes an extremely long time compared to my previous excell 2011.
    The program also requires an infinite amount of charging time when removing, copying and pasting.
    Gladly a solution for this problem.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Set default file opening location

Let the user set the default file location when launching Excel. The default is OneDrive, which I don't use, or On My Mac which is a slow way to where I want to go which is my Documents folder. Let me delete OneDrive, and go directly to the Documents folder where I store my data.

Excel for Mac used to work this way, but at some point that functionality was woefully changed. I'll never use OneDrive.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add read-write support for OpenDocument files

Excel 2016 can now import and export OpenDocument spreadsheets with the help of cloud converter. However, the files are opened as read-only. What is needed is full read-write support for OpenDocument files, so that one can open an ODS file, edit it, and save it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. When saving an xls file, as an xlsx, give the option to replace the xls.

Files from my company server are all in xls format, but as I work on them I want to save them in xlsx that has the formating and is much smaller in size. As it is, I have to save it to xlsx and then remember to go in and delete the xls file.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Honor the "Keep Windows" part of "Quit and Keep Windows"

(This goes not just for Excel, but for all apps in the Office 2016 for Mac suite.)

I usually have multiple documents open that I work on simultaneously. If I quit Excel, I want all of those documents to re-open the next time I use Excel. Otherwise I have to re-open each of them individually.

If I hold the Option key while clicking on the Excel dropdown at the top-left of the screen, the "Quit Excel" selection is changed to "Quit and Keep Windows." But when I quit Excel in this fashion, the windows I had open do NOT re-open…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Microsoft Excel 15.30 (Office 2016 for Mac) and earlier versions cannot open files

Microsoft Excel 15.30 (Office 2016 for Mac) and earlier versions cannot open files if pathname is long or contains special characters, generating the error message below which is not correct:

Microsoft Excel cannot access the file... There are several possible reasons:
    • The file name or path name does not exist.
    • The file you're trying to open is being used by another program. Close the document in the other program, and try again.

• The name of the workbook you're trying to save is the same as the name of another document that is read-only. Try saving the workbook

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Auto file backup

Prior to 2016, there exist an option set "Auto file backup". When I recently upgraded to 2016, this file backup feature has disappeared. Please bring it back as this is so vital for protecting previous work if I wanted to go back to the previous

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. when opening files in Finder instead of having to go to My Mac or One Drive, show list of all files in folder, same as Excel 2011

when opening files in Finder instead of having to go to My Mac or One Drive, show list of all files in folder, same as Excel 2011

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Fix the bug that prevents using File Save or File Save As to name or rename or copy a file

Get rid of the "Tags" line in the File Save and File Save As dialogue boxes. Since this was introduced in an "Update" it causes the Cancel and Save/OK buttons to be off the bottom of the screen and inaccessible. Thus you cannot either Save the File or Cancel the operation ad return to the unsaved spreadsheet. The only way out of this impasse is to Force Quit Excel, thereby losing all prior work, re-starting Excel and starting another spreadsheet.

The only workaround I have found is to select a file in Finder, use Duplicate File to create a copy…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

What version of Mac Excel are you running now, and what version didn’t have the issue you’re raising?

Thanks,
    Dan [MS]

12. Remember last window size when reopening a file

When I reopen a saved excel file, it never opens with the same size as the last time I saved the file. You need to implement a feature that remembers the window size and location each time the file is saved. Then, the next time the file is opened, it will appear in the same size and location on your desktop.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Text file Save As File Format EOL character should be LF

When I save AS Tab Delimited or CSV it keeps using the old Mac EOL of CR from pre-Mac OS 9. Mac OS 10.x default EOL is LF, same as Unix/Linux. Apple switch to LF from CR in 2001, it's been 15 years.

LF should be for Save AS File format options of:
    CSV UTF-8 (Comma delimited)
    Comma Seperated Values (.csv)
    UTF-16 Unicode Text (.txt)
    Tab Delimited Text (.txt)
    Space Delimited Text (.prn)

If File Format Option says Windows or MS-DOS, then it should have an EOL of CR/LF, which is currently doing.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. default pref choosen ws format forced to an existing worksheet

I noticed that there is a setting that forced every opened WS to set to dirty state ( unsaved state) and when saved it will use/forced a different, the set default WS format.
    This setting is found, preferences > tab Compatilibity > preffered file format. The popover note says, that I can set this to the one that I used most, but not that it forces me to change an existing WS format to that format.
    So, instead that it is used only with a new document, where and when I do expect it to effect on, Excel doesn't respect…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 'Save as...' window is truncated so cannot actually hit the 'Save' button

'Save as...' window is truncated so cannot actually see/hit the 'Save' button. Can't scroll though the window so have to make the whole screen full size in order for the Save As window to resize to fit the page. Is this a bug that needs fixing (v 2011)?

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow the user to clear all unpinned documents from the start-up window

This applies to all the programs in Office 2016 for Mac. Unlike the previous versions from 2011, in the newer and "improved" applications it is no longer possible to clean unpinned documents from the list that shows when Excel/Word/PowerPoint is launched. It's also impossible to clear the recent documents that show under File > Open Recent. This clearly reflects Microsoft's new and disrespectful stance on the privacy of their customers.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. autosave

My auto save was on and set for to save every 10 minutes I saved a excel file myself about 2 weeks ago and opened it up to work on it today I had been working on it and creating multiple graphs that I needed for an assignment for hours then all of the sudden excel quit on it own and didn't give me an option to save my work it did pop up with a message to send to error to mac so I clicked send when I reopened excel it only had the file I saved two weeks…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Open Dialogue

The open dialogue starts by displaying location options - One Drive, SharePoint and OnMy Mac.

Two issues - yes they are minor but I find them really annoying:

1. For corporate security reasons, I store virtually nothing online - it is all on my Mac. This extra step is very annoying and adds an extra click to every open document I do. Please add a way to always go directly to the On My Mac dialogue for those who so choose. We can always then click on the Online Locations button if we really want to go to one of the…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Resume for Office Applications

Intro: For almost 5 years, since Apple released Mac OS X Lion in July 2011), Mac users enjoyed "Resume" feature that enables applications to re-open in exactly the same state as before quitting the application or restarting the system, including window positions and contents of unsaved files.

Problem: Lack of the "Resume" feature is what makes me dread logging off and restarting Windows. Especially when I have multiple Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents open in different virtual desktops on two monitors - having to re-create this setup after the restart is really annoying.

Suggestion: I suggest Microsoft implements this functionality…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. / in filename created as Read-only

Dear Microsoft, you are defaulting permissions of my excel files/work book with a / in the filename "Read-Only". What kinda stereotype is that!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base