Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow Excel or Word to default to open at My Documents instead of always having to select On My Mac the my documents then Excel or Word.

Allow Excel or Word to default to open at My Documents instead of always having to select On My Mac the my documents then Excel or Word.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Reopen windows previously open when Excel (or Word) is reopened

When Excel – and also Word – is reopened, it does not reopen the files that previously had been opened when Excel/Word was closed. This is a VERY useful feature that recent versions of MAC OS, and MS Office, supported. PLEASE bring this feature back to Excel and Word, and PowerPoint as well.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Use Mac Core Document Behaviours, not Windows paradigms (e.g. for autosave / recover)

Apps designed specifically for Mac employ Mac Core Document Behaviours, i.e. OS-level methods for handling documents, e.g. autosaving and recovery.

The issues with Mac Excel's document-handling, particularly after force-quitting Excel or forcing a shutdown of the Mac, or a crash:
    - Excel presents a pop-up on re-opening ('Excel saved changes to the file' etc.): this pop-up burns CPU until you click on it. But the pop-up isn't required if you're handling documents in 'the Mac way' in any case, as other apps do.

• Excel re-opens docs as 'Last Saved By User' or 'Recovered' (from memory): As a Mac user, I…
    2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Excel launching options

Please restore the option for Excel to open the last workbook in use when launched, not the wretched Workbook 1, which I have to close 99.99% of the time, and then reopen what I really want to work on.
    This feature was there in 2008, and Googling it shows that lots of people obviously want it back.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. This workbook contains content that isn't supported in this version of Excel.

I have an Office 365 subscription. It is loaded on both my Mac and PC. When I create files in my PC I often find they will not open on my Mac. I have to open them as read-only and then save a copy and then delete the PC original so I don't end up with endless copies. I can open the Mac copies just fine on the PC... It would be nice if the subscription worked seamlessly between both my computers.
    I don't use macros or any really 'fancy' functions in my spreadsheets. They are pretty much basic spreadsheets…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Right clicking the icon in the title bar should reveal the location of the file (Mac OS X standards...)

In any other Mac OS X app, when you right click the icon in the title bar, you get a drop down of where your file lives in your file system.

When you click the enclosing folder, it pops that up in the finder. SUPER handy when you are trying to figure out where you saved that file.

I have not found a way to do that in Office and it's SO frustrating when Microsoft ignores standards that Mac users expect.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Bring Back Save Workspace

In prior version one had the ability to open & arrange several windows, then save the arrangement as a "workspace" [.xlw] file. In Excel 2011 the feature was renamed as Save Layout, but is yet another useful capability which has been ripped out in the 2016 release for Mac [I believe the Windows version retains the feature.]

Please restore that functionality.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Keystroke command to open excel to the last file used

It would really be great if you could enable a keystroke command to both open excel and open to the last file used in Mac Office excel 2016.

I guess I could learn to write an apple script to do that but I'm a bit challenged at that...also no doubt better if the app engineer is the one fussing with it :-)

thanks for considering.

Tom O'Connell

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Provide way to avoid automagical field value reformatting when opening CSV files

Theis is related to the leading zeroes one, but it is at least as bothersome that it tries to format as an excel data anything that looks like a date -- including values that are not dates. And the date formatting means you can't use Excel to open a CSV with dates, edit it, and re-save it without completely changing the way dates are formatted.

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all the votes and comments for this suggestion. We are considering improvements to how Excel deals with reformatting (or not) as data is imported and entered from CSV and other sources. Your comments are very helpful.

Steve K [MS Excel]

10. FIX THE STINKING FILE PATH RESTRICTION OF 255 CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!

INCREASE OR ELIMINATE THE 255 CHARACTER LIMIT ON FILE PATHS.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. saving single Sheets in pdf like 2011 version

In 2011 version of Excel for Mac it was great that the name of a sheet in a multisheet workbook appeared as default in the "Save as" window above when saving that particular sheet in PDF and checking the "Sheet" option instead of "Workbook" option. Now in Excel 2016 this isnt working anymore. It doesnt matter what option you check, it will only show the name of the Workbook in the "Save as" window. As this is really annoying and i use it on several occasions every day, would appreciate any help concerning the matter.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Insert a template into a worksheet and sync templates with other devices

1). When working on larger workbooks, for different projects, I need to compile a worksheet with several basic sheets and from other templates. I like to insert them directly from template into the sheet. Please make it possible.

2). A way to sync a template between different computers for same user or different users but same office account.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add Dropbox as an online source in the Office Apps

When opening new files, there is only the option for Onedrive. I would love to see Dropbox there just like the online versions of office and the Microsoft versions.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Remove Cap on File Path Length - We Shouldn't Have to Move Files to Save Them

A limit on the length of a file name is fine, but limiting the file path length means that if your life is complicated by folders within folders then you regularly have to move around folders just to save documents in Excel. This is very tedious and creates new possibilities for error while working.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Saving a file in new folder

while saving the opened file through 'save as' option, it does not give option for 'new folder'

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Excel routinely freezes on save/open with files saved in my onedrive folder

Since switching to onedrive, and trying to use the onedrive sync tool, I am having constant freezes and crashes when saving to the local copy of the onedrive folder, but only from within excel. Sometimes its the spinning beachball of death, but most of the time it just says "saving" in the title bar forever and I have to force quit

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Excel will not open file from Onedrive - stuck on 'Starting' pop up

Excel will not open file from Onedrive - stuck on 'Starting' pop up - and if Excel opens (same with Word), it does not open the file - just goes white and crashes.

Any help is welcome!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. I have a file who doesn`t open anymore, where can I find a solution to recover this file ?

I have a file who doesn`t open anymore, where can I find a solution to recover this file ?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. stop the excel file format and extension alert popup on mac 16.14

excel file format and extension alert popup on mac 16.14 whenever an .xls file is downloaded from net or copied from one of the older system. this also prevents linking of dat in the file.

this is leading my entire organisation to ditch the office 365 and revert back to office 2013.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. the most recent update for office 2011 for mac breaks excel save on osx sierra 10.12.3

the most recent update for office 2011 for mac breaks excel save on osx sierra 10.12.3 please fix as it renders excel unusable for saving!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base