Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Excel save state quit - allow Excel to quit without saving your changes while keeping edits

I frequently find myself force quitting Excel to save my window state. While not ideal, it accomplishes saving my work without committing the changes to the documents I'm working on. Sometimes a user just needs to close Excel without taking time to figure out what they're saving. Adding save state OUTSIDE OF ONE DRIVE would be an immense addition to creating more flexible workflows and allow users to save and edit files at their own pace.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Export to CSV or TXT file using a custom or specific delimiter

Add the feature to export an excel file to a .CSV or .TXT file with custom/specific delimiters.

So if you want to create a pipe file, you can select the delimiter ( | ) and there you go, you have your pipe file from excel.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Remove spurious CSV warning

Opening, via drag-and-drop or File > Open (but not File > Import) a just-downloaded CSV file produces the following warning in Excel (on a yellow background):

"Possible Data Loss: Some features might be lost if you save this workbook in the comma-delimited (.csv) format. To preserve these features, save it in an Excel file format."

I then have to click the 'x' to get rid of this warning...and that's really annoying, especially because it doesn't apply. I have just downloaded the CSV file from the net. It's a CSV file, unedited, and as such, it can't possibly contain any features…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. changing the number of recent files in Excel for Mac

Please add and match functionality to allow Mac Users to be able to change the number of recent files in Excel (and Word, too) from the preset of 10.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Use of “Save As” Command Crashes Excel

I have Excel 2016 for Mac (Office 365) and I find that whenever I open an existing worksheet, edit it, and try to save it under a new name using Excel’s “Save As” command, Excel freezes and I always have to close it using the macOS “Force Quit” command.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Automatically Re-open Excel Files on Reboot or Login

Mac Excel doesn't support native Mac application behaviours such as Sudden Termination and User Interface Preservation.

In practice what this means, is that whenever you log off, reboot, or hard reboot, Excel will not open the files which you were previously editing, but will pop up an open file dialog (or worse, a popup stating that Excel was improperly shut down; and this popup consumes 100% cpu until Excel is clicked on).

Mac users are not usually subjected to these very Windows-like practices.

The usual Mac experience with shutting down, logging off, or re-booting, is that when you log on…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. stop warning dialog on every save (xls)

Since the 16.x version of Excel 365, I get a warning dialog every time I try to save a file in xls format. Since I am working on dozens of existing spreadsheets, this is a total nightmare because every time I save I get a warning about possible data loss because of the xls format. There is no way to disable the dialog. This did not happen with 15.x versions of Excel. Please add a "do not show anymore" checkbox to that dialog or an option in settings to disable that check.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Fix High Sierra file tag bug - Excel and Word both clear the file tags

Excel v15.39 clears the MacOS file tags. I had numerous files tagged in MacOS, I upgraded to High Sierra and Excel/Word clear the tags each time it saves the file. Easy to reproduce.

• tag file

• open file

• change something

• save file

• tag gone

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Set default file opening location

Let the user set the default file location when launching Excel. The default is OneDrive, which I don't use, or On My Mac which is a slow way to where I want to go which is my Documents folder. Let me delete OneDrive, and go directly to the Documents folder where I store my data.

Excel for Mac used to work this way, but at some point that functionality was woefully changed. I'll never use OneDrive.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow Excel or Word to default to open at My Documents instead of always having to select On My Mac the my documents then Excel or Word.

Allow Excel or Word to default to open at My Documents instead of always having to select On My Mac the my documents then Excel or Word.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Format of data from database

When I open files exported from sql database, the numbers appear, but none can be used. Columns that need to be summed need to be converted to numbers ("Columns to text", then choosing finish, since converting cell by cell takes minutes) or columns to text, choosing text if it is a mixed column of numbers and text that need to be referenced.

Excel should be able to open them to work with them however, not just as general data that is neither text or value.

The text problem is related to the way vlookup works where it needs to either…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Reopen windows previously open when Excel (or Word) is reopened

When Excel – and also Word – is reopened, it does not reopen the files that previously had been opened when Excel/Word was closed. This is a VERY useful feature that recent versions of MAC OS, and MS Office, supported. PLEASE bring this feature back to Excel and Word, and PowerPoint as well.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Excel launching options

Please restore the option for Excel to open the last workbook in use when launched, not the wretched Workbook 1, which I have to close 99.99% of the time, and then reopen what I really want to work on.
    This feature was there in 2008, and Googling it shows that lots of people obviously want it back.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. This workbook contains content that isn't supported in this version of Excel.

I have an Office 365 subscription. It is loaded on both my Mac and PC. When I create files in my PC I often find they will not open on my Mac. I have to open them as read-only and then save a copy and then delete the PC original so I don't end up with endless copies. I can open the Mac copies just fine on the PC... It would be nice if the subscription worked seamlessly between both my computers.
    I don't use macros or any really 'fancy' functions in my spreadsheets. They are pretty much basic spreadsheets…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Use Mac Core Document Behaviours, not Windows paradigms (e.g. for autosave / recover)

Apps designed specifically for Mac employ Mac Core Document Behaviours, i.e. OS-level methods for handling documents, e.g. autosaving and recovery.

The issues with Mac Excel's document-handling, particularly after force-quitting Excel or forcing a shutdown of the Mac, or a crash:
    - Excel presents a pop-up on re-opening ('Excel saved changes to the file' etc.): this pop-up burns CPU until you click on it. But the pop-up isn't required if you're handling documents in 'the Mac way' in any case, as other apps do.

• Excel re-opens docs as 'Last Saved By User' or 'Recovered' (from memory): As a Mac user, I…
    2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Right clicking the icon in the title bar should reveal the location of the file (Mac OS X standards...)

In any other Mac OS X app, when you right click the icon in the title bar, you get a drop down of where your file lives in your file system.

When you click the enclosing folder, it pops that up in the finder. SUPER handy when you are trying to figure out where you saved that file.

I have not found a way to do that in Office and it's SO frustrating when Microsoft ignores standards that Mac users expect.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Honor the "Keep Windows" part of "Quit and Keep Windows"

(This goes not just for Excel, but for all apps in the Office 2016 for Mac suite.)

I usually have multiple documents open that I work on simultaneously. If I quit Excel, I want all of those documents to re-open the next time I use Excel. Otherwise I have to re-open each of them individually.

If I hold the Option key while clicking on the Excel dropdown at the top-left of the screen, the "Quit Excel" selection is changed to "Quit and Keep Windows." But when I quit Excel in this fashion, the windows I had open do NOT re-open…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Bring Back Save Workspace

In prior version one had the ability to open & arrange several windows, then save the arrangement as a "workspace" [.xlw] file. In Excel 2011 the feature was renamed as Save Layout, but is yet another useful capability which has been ripped out in the 2016 release for Mac [I believe the Windows version retains the feature.]

Please restore that functionality.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Remember last window size when reopening a file

When I reopen a saved excel file, it never opens with the same size as the last time I saved the file. You need to implement a feature that remembers the window size and location each time the file is saved. Then, the next time the file is opened, it will appear in the same size and location on your desktop.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base