Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Stop Office 365 Apps enumerating the recent file list when the file menu is clicked.

In Office 365 apps for Mac (eg Excel, Word) if the “File>Open Recent” list contains a file from located on a network volume (such as AFP or SMB) when the user clicks on the File menu the computer attempts to mount the network volume(s) where the file(s) resides.

This behaviour is unwanted as it can cause a lag when clicking on the File menu, it also can cause Office 365 Apps to hang when on slow data links or display numerous OS network credential request dialogue boxes.

Versions:
    Excel Mac 16.28 (19081202)
    Excel Mac 16.29 (19081305)

Suggested action:
    Stop this…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add local Mac support for Auto-save

In earlier versions of Office for Mac (e.g. 2011) the auto-save function saved a copy to wherever on the Mac hard drive you desired - either a native folder, or iCloud or DropBox. Then 2016 and Office 365 came along and slyly required you to license OneDrive in order for this function to work. FOUL PLAY! Make it work on the native hard drive and other (more popular) cloud file-sharing services again.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add local Mac support for Auto-save

In earlier versions of Office for Mac (e.g. 2011) the auto-save function saved a copy to wherever on the Mac hard drive you desired - either a native folder, or iCloud or DropBox. Then 2016 and Office 365 came along and slyly required you to license OneDrive in order for this function to work. FOUL PLAY! Make it work on the native hard drive and other (more popular) cloud file-sharing services again.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Excel for Mac bad PDF export font kerning problems and other messy details

Today at work I encountered this problem while making PDF's of charts for a print publication. The Mac version of Excel is not able to produce proper PDF's! Look at the wonky kerning of the numbers under these charts, and the wobbly dotted lines. Compare them to the perfect kerning in the Excel for Windows 2017 PDF export...!
    The same sheet was used for this export. First I thought it was the zoom level of Adobe Acrobat interferring with the pixel mapping of my screen but it is not, the PDFs are just jiggy and messy when exported on a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Allow us the option of opening excel directly into a blank workbook. Used to be able to change this in previous versions?

Rather than make us click twice to get into a blank workbook (first the template page, then we have to click on blank workbook), we used to have the option of opening excel directly into a new blank workbook, which is what I need 100% of the time. Please bring it back.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add a "Save All" option while Excel is open.

This option exists when closing Excel. But, when working on several files at once, I would like to be able to "Save All" without manually clicking through and saving every file individually.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Sporadic Failure to Sync Changes to a Password Protected Spreadsheet in a Private OneDrive Folder

Steps to reproduce:
    - store a spreadsheet in a OneDrive folder that is private (in my case no one else can access this folder)
    - Protect the spreadsheet with a password to open AND a password to edit (while I am not certain these criteria are necessary, I suspect so since I have not observed this UX fail in cases where private spreadsheets do not have passwords)
    - while editing a file, click save at any point (doesn't appear to matter what has been added/edited/deleted in the spreadsheet)

Sporadically "on save" the attached alert bar will display. Sometimes the update…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Enable hyperlinks in Pdf export from Excel

In previous reactions from Microsoft to a user question if hyperlinks can be exported to Pdf from Excel, it says this is not possible due to the structure of Pdfs. This doesn't seem a valid reason, as it does work from a Word export. Numbers from Apple does it too. There you can even add hyperlinks to individual words inside a tekst cell. In Excel this is only possible for the whole cell. So, please implement this function in Excel, so we can make reports without hassle.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. don't delete the list of recent files when updating

don't delete the list of recent files when updating

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Hyperlink from Excel to a Bookmark in Word

When I create a hyperlink to a Word file, I want to be able to add a bookmark and let the link open die Word file directly to the bookmark. In Office for Windows you can do this by adding #Bookmarkname to the hyperlink in Excel. In Office for Mac this doesn't work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Touch ID to open a password protected spreadsheet please

Please can we have the option of using Touch ID on excel for Mac 2019 in addition to a password?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. DisableHyperlinkWarning

De bij het openen van een PDF file, via een in excel aangemaakte hyperlink telkens terugkerende "trusted locations" melding, uitschakelbaar te maken. De waarschuwing voorzien van een aanvink mogelijkheid : deze melding niet meer weergeven !

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Save as: Windows Comma Separated (.csv) - Missing in new version of Excel

With the new update of Excel for Mac (ver.15 -> ver.16) we lost the ability to Save as: Windows Comma Separated (.csv)

It also lost the ability to read these files with foreign characters (my case Swedish). I have my system in English and Excel in English, but I do work with .csv files in Swedish from time to time.

Now I needed to downgrade my system to 15.32, and can't keep my Office 365 suit up to date before I know that this works again.

(Attached are a screenshot of the "Save as" option that we lost with the…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Cannot open password protected spreadsheet because password is too long

Problem: I am attempting to open a password-protected spreadsheet, but the dialog box asking for the password will not let me type the full password. Why does the password box have a character limit that doesn't match Excel 2010? I cannot open this spreadsheet now..
    Solution: Please don't set up a password limit... the limit for file level passwords now is 15 characters. The PC Office 2007 & 2010 apps now support up to 256 characters, but on Mac this feature isn't taken over.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Excel save state quit - allow Excel to quit without saving your changes while keeping edits

I frequently find myself force quitting Excel to save my window state. While not ideal, it accomplishes saving my work without committing the changes to the documents I'm working on. Sometimes a user just needs to close Excel without taking time to figure out what they're saving. Adding save state OUTSIDE OF ONE DRIVE would be an immense addition to creating more flexible workflows and allow users to save and edit files at their own pace.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. XML formato per la fatturazione elettronica

Fatturazione elettronica. Il foglio di calcolo più recente di Excel di Office 365 è 2004?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. don't delete the list of recent files when updating

don't delete the list of recent files when updating

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Export to CSV or TXT file using a custom or specific delimiter

Add the feature to export an excel file to a .CSV or .TXT file with custom/specific delimiters.

So if you want to create a pipe file, you can select the delimiter ( | ) and there you go, you have your pipe file from excel.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base