Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Autosave to work with iCloud. (Not everyone has OneDrive!)

Please can you enable Autosave to work with the Mac's Cloud solution, iCloud. Although I personally use OneDrive, I don't want my excel files saved there. I have them all saved on iCloud or locally on my HD. Users should be able to select which cloud service they wish to use for Autosaving. (including other wider providers).

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. When quitting Excel, Word, or PowerPoint, and then reopening them (or restarting my Mac), none of them will reopen the previously open docum

When quitting Excel, Word, or PowerPoint, and then reopening them (or restarting my Mac), none of them will reopen the previously open documents. Unchecking the option Close windows when quitting app in the General tab of Mac System Preferences, the Office 2019 for Mac doesn’t reopen the files that are previously opened either. This was never a problem before, but this new feature seriously interrupts my work flow. Please restore the functionality that made it possible for documents to automatically reopen upon restart. I hate trying to remember what I was working on and dig through stored files to reopen…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please add Outlook as share option

Please add Outlook as share option

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Error with file > Unable to repair > no info on where error from

Error with file > Unable to repair & save > no info on where error from to try and address

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Use ACCURATE info!

An answer never works bc examples don't reflect my excel. Diff pages, diff instructions. I'm trying to locate the Options tab to change AutoSave timing. My program does not have what all the solutions suggest. There is no Options tab anywhere on any of the headings. I went to one drive documents only to try to change, bc I think I'm being told that the ability to change AR timing is limited to one drive. This gets more ridiculous every year. The products get more expensive, the support more elusive. I pay all this money for your programs, yet I…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Retain workbook size in the workbook itself.

When a workbook opens, it goes to the size of the last workbook used. Instead, please save sizing in the workbook itself and initialize to that size when opening the book.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. How about fixing Excel 2016 for Mac so that it doesn't crash on "Save As"?

For several months Excel 2016 for Mac has been crashing every time I attempt "Save As". I'm running version 16.16.26 (200914) and MacOS 10.15.6 Catalina.

This is such a basic piece of functionality that I'm flabbergasted that Microsoft has not fixed it. I'm using Excel without any add-ons or such. It's just plain broken.

• Hasse

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. This is a bug report: file save error.

Data on top sheet current as of yesterday's save. Data on other sheets was incomplete - dated back to October 20th.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Windows formatted text

I need to save my Excel document in a Windows formatted text .txt format, but I do not see this option available. I see Macintosh formatted text, MS-DOS formatted text, UFC16 Unicode formatted text, and tab delimited text, but not what I need.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Better usage of local network

In file open dialogue provide possibility to add a local network fileserver directory as a place to open files

Provide autosave of current workbook to my local network

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Ability to select multiple files or clear all files under the Recent Tab of the Welcome Splash Screen?

I just want to know if you add a feature that lets all users select multiple files or clear all files under the Recent tab of the Start Screen of Microsoft Office Suite programs, what do you think?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Open two files with the same file name

Many times, I want to open two files with the same file name. This is still not working in Excel. I use a Mac nowadays, but when I checked last time on Windows, it didn't work either.

Use Case: create a local copy of a SharePoint Excel and then open the two to merge my changes. Or compare a copy that a colleague did with my file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Please only open files and "pre-name" them with names that can be saved.

Why does Excel open files with improper file names? When they are open '[x]' is appended which then cannot be saved without renaming. Please only append valid text

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. I would like to save to a directory/folder on iCloud and am unable to select the directory on iCloud.

I need to save to a directory on iCloud and am unable to select a specific directory on iCloud.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Combine multiple files into one

Just like Adobe Acrobat does, please provide functionality to combine multiple XLSX or CSV files into one, with each file on its own sheet.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. reopen excel files on restart

Bring back the ability to reopen excel files on restart with Mac. The community has asked for this since v. 2011 and you ignore it. It has to be one of the top requests since it was removed. Very frustrating to see a great feature removed...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Support for moving open files

If you open (for example) a TextEdit document, start working, save it, then move the file into a different folder whilst still open: TextEdit recognises that the currently open file has moved.

However, Excel/Word etc. do not. Please add support for moving open files!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Open shared link in Excel for mac

If a colleague provides a link to me, I'm unable to open it in the desktop version of the app. Even if the functionality existed via the existing open dialog, it will make my work (which currently involves searching for file in shared files which for some reason does not appear to show the file being shared even if the sharer has no permission)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Stop making me sign into my own application on my own computer every time i want to open a file!

Stop making me sign into my own application on my own computer every time i want to open a file!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. possibility to assign a star to a file for quick access on the go (i.e. price lists for quick reference)

Often I need to open some specific files on the go for quick referencing like price lists and manuals. A similar function like the star in Adobe Acrobat that allows you to quickly open a starred file without digging into the directories. It will help improving the productivity.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base