Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Temporary stored files during saving Excel file cannot be deleted on NAS - .xlsx.sb

since the update to Mojave, Excel documents store repeatedly (not all files) temporary folders which are not deleted on NAS when one opens them with Microsoft Office 2016. This behavior seems related to the content within the Excel files. It looks like that as long as no diagram is saved in the Excel document the associated temporary file will be deleted as intended.

But if diagrams ore a more complex document structure is being created in the documents, then apparently not only temporary documents but folders are created during saving. After closing the document, you can no longer delete the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Stop Office 365 Apps enumerating the recent file list when the file menu is clicked.

In Office 365 apps for Mac (eg Excel, Word) if the “File>Open Recent” list contains a file from located on a network volume (such as AFP or SMB) when the user clicks on the File menu the computer attempts to mount the network volume(s) where the file(s) resides.

This behaviour is unwanted as it can cause a lag when clicking on the File menu, it also can cause Office 365 Apps to hang when on slow data links or display numerous OS network credential request dialogue boxes.

Versions:
    Excel Mac 16.28 (19081202)
    Excel Mac 16.29 (19081305)

Suggested action:
    Stop this…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Quick Access Toolbar button for 'Open'

Excel for PC has a toolbar button for this function that can be added from the 'All Commands' list. Excel for MAC does not. The current process required 1-3 clicks to get to the list of files to open.
    Please add this button to the available options for the Quick Access Toolbar.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Excel for Mac bad PDF export font kerning problems and other messy details

Today at work I encountered this problem while making PDF's of charts for a print publication. The Mac version of Excel is not able to produce proper PDF's! Look at the wonky kerning of the numbers under these charts, and the wobbly dotted lines. Compare them to the perfect kerning in the Excel for Windows 2017 PDF export...!
    The same sheet was used for this export. First I thought it was the zoom level of Adobe Acrobat interferring with the pixel mapping of my screen but it is not, the PDFs are just jiggy and messy when exported on a…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add local Mac support for Auto-save

In earlier versions of Office for Mac (e.g. 2011) the auto-save function saved a copy to wherever on the Mac hard drive you desired - either a native folder, or iCloud or DropBox. Then 2016 and Office 365 came along and slyly required you to license OneDrive in order for this function to work. FOUL PLAY! Make it work on the native hard drive and other (more popular) cloud file-sharing services again.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add local Mac support for Auto-save

In earlier versions of Office for Mac (e.g. 2011) the auto-save function saved a copy to wherever on the Mac hard drive you desired - either a native folder, or iCloud or DropBox. Then 2016 and Office 365 came along and slyly required you to license OneDrive in order for this function to work. FOUL PLAY! Make it work on the native hard drive and other (more popular) cloud file-sharing services again.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. don't delete the list of recent files when updating

don't delete the list of recent files when updating

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Touch ID to open a password protected spreadsheet please

Please can we have the option of using Touch ID on excel for Mac 2019 in addition to a password?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Save as: Windows Comma Separated (.csv) - Missing in new version of Excel

With the new update of Excel for Mac (ver.15 -> ver.16) we lost the ability to Save as: Windows Comma Separated (.csv)

It also lost the ability to read these files with foreign characters (my case Swedish). I have my system in English and Excel in English, but I do work with .csv files in Swedish from time to time.

Now I needed to downgrade my system to 15.32, and can't keep my Office 365 suit up to date before I know that this works again.

(Attached are a screenshot of the "Save as" option that we lost with the…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Excel save state quit - allow Excel to quit without saving your changes while keeping edits

I frequently find myself force quitting Excel to save my window state. While not ideal, it accomplishes saving my work without committing the changes to the documents I'm working on. Sometimes a user just needs to close Excel without taking time to figure out what they're saving. Adding save state OUTSIDE OF ONE DRIVE would be an immense addition to creating more flexible workflows and allow users to save and edit files at their own pace.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Export to CSV or TXT file using a custom or specific delimiter

Add the feature to export an excel file to a .CSV or .TXT file with custom/specific delimiters.

So if you want to create a pipe file, you can select the delimiter ( | ) and there you go, you have your pipe file from excel.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Remove spurious CSV warning

Opening, via drag-and-drop or File > Open (but not File > Import) a just-downloaded CSV file produces the following warning in Excel (on a yellow background):

"Possible Data Loss: Some features might be lost if you save this workbook in the comma-delimited (.csv) format. To preserve these features, save it in an Excel file format."

I then have to click the 'x' to get rid of this warning...and that's really annoying, especially because it doesn't apply. I have just downloaded the CSV file from the net. It's a CSV file, unedited, and as such, it can't possibly contain any features…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. changing the number of recent files in Excel for Mac

Please add and match functionality to allow Mac Users to be able to change the number of recent files in Excel (and Word, too) from the preset of 10.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Use of “Save As” Command Crashes Excel

I have Excel 2016 for Mac (Office 365) and I find that whenever I open an existing worksheet, edit it, and try to save it under a new name using Excel’s “Save As” command, Excel freezes and I always have to close it using the macOS “Force Quit” command.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Automatically Re-open Excel Files on Reboot or Login

Mac Excel doesn't support native Mac application behaviours such as Sudden Termination and User Interface Preservation.

In practice what this means, is that whenever you log off, reboot, or hard reboot, Excel will not open the files which you were previously editing, but will pop up an open file dialog (or worse, a popup stating that Excel was improperly shut down; and this popup consumes 100% cpu until Excel is clicked on).

Mac users are not usually subjected to these very Windows-like practices.

The usual Mac experience with shutting down, logging off, or re-booting, is that when you log on…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Fix High Sierra file tag bug - Excel and Word both clear the file tags

Excel v15.39 clears the MacOS file tags. I had numerous files tagged in MacOS, I upgraded to High Sierra and Excel/Word clear the tags each time it saves the file. Easy to reproduce.

- tag file
    - open file
    - change something
    - save file
    - tag gone

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. stop warning dialog on every save (xls)

Since the 16.x version of Excel 365, I get a warning dialog every time I try to save a file in xls format. Since I am working on dozens of existing spreadsheets, this is a total nightmare because every time I save I get a warning about possible data loss because of the xls format. There is no way to disable the dialog. This did not happen with 15.x versions of Excel. Please add a "do not show anymore" checkbox to that dialog or an option in settings to disable that check.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Format of data from database

When I open files exported from sql database, the numbers appear, but none can be used. Columns that need to be summed need to be converted to numbers ("Columns to text", then choosing finish, since converting cell by cell takes minutes) or columns to text, choosing text if it is a mixed column of numbers and text that need to be referenced.

Excel should be able to open them to work with them however, not just as general data that is neither text or value.

The text problem is related to the way vlookup works where it needs to either…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow Excel or Word to default to open at My Documents instead of always having to select On My Mac the my documents then Excel or Word.

Allow Excel or Word to default to open at My Documents instead of always having to select On My Mac the my documents then Excel or Word.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base