Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. There is a bug on the date function Excel believes that February 29, 1900 exist but this date does not exist

Microsoft Excel believes that February 29, 1900 exist when there is no such date as 1900 is not a leap year.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Microsoft issues 16.16 update for Mac OSX High Sierra Number format not working?

Well? Yesterday, Microsoft issues 16.16 update for Mac OSX High Sierra and all worksheets crashed that had Office sounds marked. So, I had to un-mark my Office sounds. Today, (6/30/18) Microsoft issued a update 16.16.0. Guess what now??? They fixed the Office sounds, but now you can NOT enter the comma in Numbers or change any numbers you have input. As an example...I put in number 231. It came up on the spread sheet as 2. SO I checked the format "Cells" and it was on Number, and decimal zero and with commas...BUT, it doesn't change anything to how the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Compile error in hidden module

Compile error in hidden module: 'Module_General'. This error usually occurs when the code is not compatible with the version, platform or architecture of this application.

Pleas repair this error, I can't open any files because of this error. It's a company file I'm working with, from a company that's working on MS machines. Opening the file on a MS laptop is no problem at all. Excel on Mac version 16.14.1

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Office 365/Excel updated today on MacOS High Sierra late 2013 mac and wouldn't open. Had to roll back to 15.xx version.

Office 365/Excel 16.xx updated today on MacOS High Sierra late 2013 mac and wouldn't open. Had to roll back to 15.xx version. Online help/chat helpful. Will check next month for update

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Fix memory leak when using Filtering

Excel has a crazy memory leak!
    I load a sheet with 26,000 rows, no problem. It's all just text and the file size is only 4MB. I turn on data filtering, and the memory usage climbs to 10GB until the beach ball stops spinning and the filtering is in place. But then, while I'm not doing anything with Excel, Activity Monitor shows the memory usage continuing to climb. Excel is sitting there in some loop just sucking up memory, climbing at about 1GB every 2-3 seconds.
    Last week it showed Excel using 156GB of memory
    When I quit Excel, it's…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. cannot sort data without it crashing after High Sierra upgrade

Every time I try to sort my data the whole spreadsheet crashes. Now I save everything almost after I put data in a cell. This is crazy. Just updated to High Sierra. Guess that was a really bad move.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. MacOS High Sierra Ver 10.13.4

MacOS High Sierra Ver 10.13.4. MS Excel 2008 keeps crashing every time I enter data.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. refresh data

MacOS High Sierra
    Version:10.13.3

Excel Version:16.11(180311)

When I use "DATA-REFRESH(ALL)" , the application gets force quit, and the "extremal data connections has been enable". I re-installed the software, never for good.
    It happens every time I use it, still have not resolved this problem.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 2018 losing copy and paste

In 2010 and 2017 one could copy and repeatedly past text acrosss multiple cells. A Microsoft update in 2018 has killed that function. Work around is cumbersome
    I have reverted to my 2011 Macbook with 2010 excel and copy the completed file to a usb stick, then copy file to 2017 Macbook Microsoft admits this is a known issue.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Fix Format Cells shortcut (now it’s creating a new sheet instead of opening Format Cells)

Since the last update to Excel 16.10 (180210) used on macOS 10.11.6, when I use the Command+1 combination it creates a new sheet instead of opening the Format Cells dialog. I tried working with Microsoft Support by chat, but their solution of trashing the Excel plist did nothing.

This problem happens the first 6 or 10 times I use that key combination, but then it seems to revert back to normal operation until I close Excel. The next time I open Excel, the problem’s back.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Since 25 February 2018 the 'Freeze Panes' command crashes the workbook

Since 25 February 2018 the 'Freeze Panes' command crashes the workbook

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Make third party fonts usable in charts and graphs

It's currently acting as if it changes the font but just stays the same visually. Very buggy considering I can change the cell to a third-party font, just not the charts which is annoying as it makes them difficult to customise in accordance with branding guidelines.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Put Ribbon Icons/Controls back to previous release size!

release 16.9 has slightly larger icons and controls in the ribbon making it larger (taking more vertical screen space. No good reason for this and we don't all have 42" screens - so put it back how it was and restore the previous icon size.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Excel 16.8 not loading custom workbook and sheet templates in Startup folder

Since updating to 16.8, Excel does not open the template files in the Startup folder. Please fix.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Excel Error in Date Format with vers 16.9 (171206)

When applying a date format like "dddd" to a spreadsheet-cell, Excel does not recon this. The appropriate "date" format pre-set form (Format -> Cell) seems to be corrupted. (see image enclosed)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Excel for Mac 11 vs 16

I've been using office 11 as my major app at work and it was almost perfect until High Sierra. Easy customizable keyboard shortcuts, customizable toolbar and menu. User friendly VBA and merge with Word. A bit slow while filtering applied, but I could cope with that.
    After High Sierra came along, I switched to Office 16. Nothing to be customized, funky and very annoying animation when click on a cell and tonnes of bugs. VBA has some new limitations. Very inconvenient to use application, so I had to switch back to Office 11. It's working fine on High Sierra, but…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Hi there is a bug , first letter in word in WORD or in a range of EXCEL is in english, although I have switched to greek, then everything

Hi there is a bug , first letter in word in WORD or in a range of EXCEL is in english, although I have switched to greek, then everything

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make Application.CalculateFull work again...

After a recent update (15.39 is current) Application.CalculateFull does not work as before. I have a spreadsheet with calls to several vba functions in cells. To update the cells from time to time I made a button with an "Application.CalculateFull" call. Before it worked like a charm, now I get a "#Value!" error in every cell with a function call. When I press "fn+ctrl+alt+F9" the cells get updated correctly. Why is Application.CalculateFull broken? Please fix!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Excel is taking 100% CPU even though I have only 2 spreadsheets open with not much data and no complex formulas (no VB) and just a few tabs

This is a problem. If I reopen the very same spreadsheets, it takes less than 5% of a CPU. (In fact, it often terminates with an error.)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base