Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Displaying number of decimal places

Excel 15.412. A new glitch. I enter a number, say 56, in a cell, but the display shows 0.56. In Preferences-Edits, I do have the “Display number of decimal places” checked for 2 decimal places, as I have always liked this as my default for displaying numbers. Therefore, I would expect that entering 56 would display as 56.00, as it always had in all previous versions of Excel. What is going on? This glitch is adding a lot of valuable time to my work, since I have to uncheck the "2 decimal places" box and then reformat all work to…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Latest fast build crashes during launch

Excel will not open. Attached screenshots. Have restarted, force quit, and the like. Signed out/in. Excel always crashes on start.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fix bug with CPU Straining

Whenever Excel is "left alone" with an open dialogue box (usually when trying trying to log out of the user) it starts hogging CPU like crazy. We're talking 99% CPU usage just for excel even though the sheets are just a few columns of numbers.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. auto recovery and everything else.

Auto recovery never works. Since this awful version of Excel (now on 15.39) crashes frequently, I am losing work too many times. Not once have I been able to recover a file after a crash. The autorecovery directory is always empty. I think I'm done with this. In a real attempt to post positive feedback to improve the OFFICE 2016 programs, not one of my suggestions, often supported by dozens of other users, have been acted on. Microsoft clearly has no interest in supporting the MAC version of Office. It's a disgrace that a company with such a global monopoly…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Nothing works in Excel 16.7 after upgrade to build 171017

Yesterday (2017-10-19) I received a Office Insider Fast upgrade for Excel and after that nothing works. I have the danish version of Excel installed and I can't work on neither new spreadsheets nor existing ones. If I try to enter a value in a cell I get the message "Advarsel: Ingen objekter fundet." (translates to "Warning: No objects found") If I try to edit existing content I get a new window asking me what I want to group by... Nothing works. Please see attached screenshots.

Anybody got any ideas to what this could be?

Please help, I'm desperate.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Content scaling on 4K screens is terrible.

MS, the content scaling on MS excel is terrible for macs. any doc that has 85% zoom on windows must be zoomed to 120% on mac for the same level of viewing. This can be proven by opening the same file via VMs.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. version 15.39

It is displaying the file contents upside down. Most lines will correct when you do something to refresh the screen, but not the column headings for a table.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. trusted locations

Why is there no way to create a trusted location for the mac?
    After upgrading to 15.38 (170902). And for heavens sake why should I get for every minute get a warning dialog about trust issues. My document doesn't have a macro or any thing. Isn't there any quality checking??

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Wont save an Excel file too many characters

Trying to save an Excel .XLS file, with a short name-I get the error message..."can't save too many characters" I reduced the name to just "Excel Sucks" and it still won't save - tried over 7 times. I do hate Microsoft and I do hate Excel - a necessary evil for work. MS - use some of your billions to fix your **** software please.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Persistent font downloads

Office 2011 v14 seems to have persistent font downloads whenever I open Excel and Powerpoint. The downloads appear to be random, and it keeps asking me to download the same fonts over and over again (e.g. Osaka) when I re-launch the app. Any idea on how to fix this? It just started recently.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Prompt user when copying down/across when rows/columns are hidden

Would it be possible to prompt the user when copying down or across, when rows and columns have been hidden in a sheet.

Without this warning, values may be copied infinitely which almost always causes critical memory issues or causes the application to crash completely. Furthermore, because of the issue, the document in some instances may not be recoverable.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Text disappears from the cells and the formula bar in macOS

Text disappears from the cells and the formula bar in macOS when using regular mac fonts like Calibri.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. make mac and pc versions fully compatible...

make mac and pc versions fully compatible... finally

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. La version 2016/2019 pour Mac ne permet pas de créer ou d'éditer des Userform ? c'est pour quand ?

La version 2016/2019 pour Mac ne permet pas de créer ou d'éditer des Userform. Je suis sous mac catalina et j'utilise excel Microsoft 365 Personnel. je n'ai pas d'autre version excel, comment puis je faire SVP
    Merci d'avance pour votre réponse
    JF

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. My Excel could not be opened with unkown reason (on Macbook) version 16.36

Here is the log:
    Process: Microsoft Excel [965]
    Path: /Applications/Microsoft Excel.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Excel
    Identifier: Microsoft Excel
    Version: ???
    Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
    Parent Process: ??? [1]
    Responsible: Microsoft Excel [965]
    User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2020-04-21 10:56:05.040 -0400
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.15.3 (19D76)
    Report Version: 12
    Bridge OS Version: 4.2 (17P3050)
    Anonymous UUID: 1555A93D-AC1C-CA58-C47B-0334AC59A27E

Time Awake Since Boot: 68 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0

Exception Type: EXCCRASH (Code Signature Invalid)
    Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
    Exception Note: EXC
    CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: Namespace CODESIGNING, Code 0x1

kernel messages:

VM Regions Near 0 (cr2):
    -->

__TEXT                 000000010b614000-000000011010b000 [ 75.0M]
    2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. You need to complete rewrite the code. Excel for Mac is the worst Microsoft product ever. Shame on you!!!

You need to complete rewrite the code. Excel for Mac is the worst Microsoft product ever.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Fix the bug whereby "Ready" in the Status Bar is not working reliably

I am seeking a workaround, or a fix by Microsoft, for this behaviour in Excel for Mac:

In Excel for Mac 16.35 (20030802), the word “Ready” does not appear in the Status Bar when a file is first opened or after a save, instead the Status Bar is empty. The act of entering data in a cell changes to Status Bar to “Enter” and then (correctly) back to “Ready”. This occurs in .xlsx and .xlsm files. The vba expression Application.StatusBar = False does not result in the word "Ready" being displayed in the Status Bar (as specified in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/api/excel.application.statusbar).…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Newest Update for Microsoft Excel for Mac 16.36.20022400

Newest Update for Microsoft Excel for Mac 16.36.20022400 completely crashed when I tried to open the application today after the Insider Fast Update and I have to uninstall it and reinstall a bit earlier version to make sure my Excel is still working

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base