Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Links between spreadsheets don´t work !!!!

As tittle says, with the new update, links with another excel spreadsheets don´t work. And this is very very important !!!! Please, fix it asap.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Don't prompt to save at opening a file

As soon as I open a file, Excel believes that there a changes to the file, just because there are formulas in the workbook, and automatic evaluation of formulas is on by default. This is annoying because I cannot only open a workbook to quickly take a look at something and close again, without being prompted to save 'changes'.

I would like this behaviour to be like in Windows, where formulas are also evaluated automatically by default, but Excel considers only my manual changes as true changes.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. speed it up - improve the Office 365 so that it works like Office used to...

Since going to the subscription ($99/year) instead of purchasing the application on a CD, Excel is terribly slow: slow to load, mainly. Once it is up and running, it's ok, I think, though I haven't been doing anything very demanding on it.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Characters being used the default japanese font "Yu-gothic" are not display correctly on worksheets.

Characters being used the default Japanese font "Yu-gothic" are not display correctly on worksheets. They look like Mincho style. This is just a bug of Excel for Mac Japanese edition. I hope that the bug is fixed as soon as possible.

日本語のデフォルトのフォントである游ゴシックを使った文字は、ワークシート上で正しく表示されません。それらは明朝体に見えます。これは日本版のExcel for Macのバグです。できるだけ早く修正されることを望みます。

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Fix the scroll wheel in the VBA editor in version 16.10.

In the VBA editor window of v. 16.10, the edit window doesn't seem to recognize the system-preferences setting for scrolling speed and defaults to the slowest-possible value. This effectively disables the scroll wheel on the mouse, creating a serious nuisance for anyone who's accustomed to using the thing. The problem affects only the mouse wheel and not scrolling from a touchpad suggesting that it's a small oversight rather than a major issue. Thanks!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Hyperlinks that worked in Excel for Mac 2011 no longer work in Excel for Mac 2016

I regularly hyperlink documents to transactions recorded in Excel, e.g. easy to locate and view the pdf invoice that relates to an invoice entry in a spreadsheet.

This worked perfectly in Excel for Mac 2011 (no longer supported), but won't work in Excel for Mac 2016.

If a hyperlink is created in Excel for Mac 2016 it will work, BUT ONLY UNTIL you close Excel. Next time you open Excel the links no longer work even though they are retained.

Interestingly, if you try to use the hyperlinks in Excel for Mac 2011 again, they work perfectly whether created in…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Stop Messing Up Row Height

release 16.9 sees the return of the bug that automatically increases row heights on some sheets - completely messes-up layout of sheets.

Was this release actually tested? (pretty disastrous to have this - I've had to downgrade to 15.41)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Default view for ALL documents - so they aren't opening in tiny windows?

In the new version press release it says 'it's a bit rough around the edges'. In my experience, so is the current version. There's not even a 'view' default that can be set - so excel docs open at whatever size they decide.(?) So I'm spending all my time resizing tiny excel windows and all support can do is pass me over here - quite how that cures the bugs in my program I have no idea.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Excel error

When I try to close excel or save a file, the following error appears as per attachments. I noticed the error started when iMac updated to version 10.13.1 (High Sierra)

I have also updated Excel software, but error still appears. Please fix.

Thanks Steve

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. after upgrade to mac siearra 11, the excel shows text upside down and also mirrored

after upgrade to mac siearra 11, the excel shows text upside down and also mirrored

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. excel 15.49

this latest version displays the file contents upside down. When you refresh the screen, it corrects most but not all of the content.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. The Mac Excel 2017 always lag

The Mac Excel 2017 always lag.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Fix Unacceptable # of Bugs, make VBA Usable & Add Hot Keys

First, the number of basic bugs in unacceptable for a product that's been the market for well over a year. Often I type characters in cell and hit Enter yet the cell is blank. I scroll up and then down, and at that point, I see the that previously blank cell is now populated with the characters I had entered. This is unacceptable. When I freeze panes, the top row appears to have been duplicated but if I scroll up and then down, duplicated row disappears. So many different types of bugs that remedied by scrolling up and then down.…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Ignore this error

When I set formatting in a cell for "text" and paste a number, stop giving an error that the number is formatted as text. I know. You know why?

See if you can follow:
    I set the formatting manually. I already know it's a number being displayed as text. If I set something manually, stop telling me it's set that way. Especially if there are already important contextual clues (like the number sticking to the right side of the cell or not truncating or adopting date format, etc) showing that it's formatted as text.

I hate having to manually declare…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Obtaining Hang Seng Index from the Stocks module

I am using Excel for Mac, version 16.30 (always updated to the latest version)

I can easily obtain stock quotes all index members of the Dow Jones, Hang Seng Index, Swiss Market Index. Also to retrieve the index quotes for DJIA, S&P500, DAX, etc. is not an issue at all.

Obtaining the quote for the Hang Seng Index itself I haven't figured out for a couple of months already.

“HSI” returns "H.I.S. Co Ltd (OTCM:HISJF)” “Hang Seng” returns “No results found for Hang Seng” “^HSI” returns results such as H-Source Holdings, etc.

I have reached out to Microsoft calling the…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Excel 2018 for Mac does not open xlsm files from previous versions

Excel 2018 for Mac has a very serious error:

Do not open the xlsm files prepared with previous versions, please correct ... !!! I have tried it with all my previous excel files and in all it sends me a message of ERROR, when accepting that Excel proceeds to repair it deletes all the macros that you have programmed in VBA !!!

What kind of error is that ???

PLEASE CORRECT THAT HORROR !!!! ...

The exact message is the following:

Notice:

We have found a problem with 'book.xlsm' content. Do you want us to try to recover as much…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. There is a bug on the date function Excel believes that February 29, 1900 exist but this date does not exist

Microsoft Excel believes that February 29, 1900 exist when there is no such date as 1900 is not a leap year.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Since Last Update Excel Crashing When Selecting Different Tab

Excel 16.11 in Mac OS 10.13.3: Excel crashes upon selecting a different populated tab. Occurring in every workbook that I open. Please provide an update fix ASAP.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Fix Autorecover

Please fix the autorecover feature.

Both my computers fail to save autorecover files for Excel in version 16.9 (though fine for Word) and when crashes occur the "recovered" files are in fact the last files I manually saved, though sometimes with "(version 1)" added to the filename at the top of the window.

For a productivity application, a non-working autorecover feature is terrible.

The AutoSave option isn't much of a substitute as it only seems to work with files opened from OneDrive online, not the OneDrive or any other folder on the Mac itself.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base