Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Include Ribbon customizing for Macs - like you pretend is available when bought!!!!

In the online statement AND help, Microsoft states that ribbon customizing is available for Macs - BUT, IT IS NOT!!! a disservice to Mac users - include it or don't tell us its available!!!
    Found this out after HOURS with tech support!!!
    Would like to add curse words here!!!!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Need to fix the problem with https hyperlinks generating a "Cannot locate the Internet server or proxy server" message.

Need to fix the problem with https hyperlinks generating a "Cannot locate the Internet server or proxy server" message. This is unacceptable!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Crashes and yet more crashes

After yet another all-too-frequent crash, more work lost since the auto-recover NEVER works. Ironically, since the auto-recover NEVER works, the current crash was triggered by a manual save command. What the heck are you guys going to do about the MAC Office 2016. I seem to spend as much time informing you of glitches and lost functionality as doing real work. Please fess up and declare it a disaster and re-issue an earlier version (2008 preferably) until you can provide a real fix.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. You can start by FIXING THE CAUSE OF THE RECURRING EFFING CRASHES!!!

The frequency of crashes I experience with Excel for Mac Version 14.7.2 (170228) has reached EPIC status! I also experience the unexplained crashes in my Word for Mac program. With a bajillion dollars supporting you people, one would think you could fix these errors! But NO....it's been going on for over 5 years now, through many MANY updates and to no avail. Either you people are intentionally trying to send me to the edge of going postal just for kicks and giggles or you are MORONS. Which is it?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. When a user has illegal characters when trying to save a document, inform the user; don't confuse the user with permission.

When a user has illegal characters when trying to save a document, inform the user; don't confuse the user with permission. I have encountered this with a few users. Sometimes they attempt to put slashes or splats in their document and are greeted with "You do not have permission to save to "NAME OF FOLDER". Don't expect everyone to know that they can't use special characters!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Strange Korean characters in formula bar.

Sometimes, Korean characters are look strange In Excel formula bar while the cell looks fine.
    Strange characters look like overlapped Korean characters "가".

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. there is no selection tool for objects in excel for mac 2016 - so very hard to edit objects in a spreadsheet, such as arrows

we need a selection tool to grab objects like arrows or shapes in a group of cells. Then the cells are selected, we can only edit the cells contents but not the objects. Trying to get round this omission is very hard. And deleting objects does not mean they disappear. It is all very hit and miss.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Excel crashes when I try to change colors (OS X High Sierra)

Excel 15.14 (150911) and High Sierra (10.13.4). Every time I try to change cell background/text colors, Excel crashes (more specifically when opening color palette (after clicking cell color/text color change button) Excel suddenly stops working and crashes).

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Excel 2016 complete freeze with 99% CPU usage

After launching Excel on a simple file with macros disabled.
    Looking at CPU 99-100% is used making Excel completely frozen.

Not sure it has anything to do with it, after killing excel, a process parentalcontrolsd is spawn (even if disabled on that Mac)

Attach a dump of the running process and after the kill, plus screenshot on MAC config.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Excel withouth crashing

Please make the new version of excel like the version was in early 2016. Since an update in 2016 Excel is crashing when I'm trying to add background color to the cells. Even on Sierra and High Sierra. I've sent error reports, but nothing happened - that's why it seems like it is a feature not a fault for Microsoft. So please, make Excel like it was before. Without crashing, without any troubles.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. modify page breaks in excel

Improve the ability to modify page breaks in excel (as in the windows version): often the cursor to move page breaks does not appear or does not shift the breaks

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. after upgrade to mac siearra 11, the excel shows text upside down and also mirrored

'after upgrade to mac siearra 11, the excel shows text upside down and also mirrored'
    The impression is that Microsoft is doing everything possible to annoy Mac users and try to get them to move to use window machine. Each Microsoft upgrade creates a new problem to the office for Mac, and in particular with outlook and now with excel and so on.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Page orientation for printing should default to how document setting so it doesn't have to be re-set every time you print for every sheet.

Page orientation set in an Excel document/worksheet should stay put until the user changes it and it should print in that orientation unless otherwise changed during print. It should not revert to portrait (in both worksheet & printer) whenever print is selected. Hence, you should be able to have a workbook that contains worksheets of both portrait and landscape orientation and be able to print them all together. This is an unbelievable shortcoming.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. I guess you aren't reading the comments and suggestions or...

....you simply DON'T GIVE A **** about your customers who continue to suffer crashes out of NOWHERE!

Autorecovery - not ONE single time has this alleged function worked for me when a crash occurs.

Autosave - see above! Why have the feature if it simply creates a FALSE HOPE that it can assist when one of your frequent crashes occur on my computer.

BEFORE you offer some egg head, dipshit comment like "you should just save your work frequently as you move along" I'll throw it back at you and say "WHY WOULD I NEED TO IF YOU WOULD FIX…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Make Mac versions and Windows versions open the files with the same column width, font sizes, and margins

Currently, a column 215 px wide on a Mac (Excel 2015) will open at 251 px on a PC (Excel 2010 and 2016).
    also, fonts are not the same size. Bookman 8 words in the 215 px will not fit in 251 px.
    And the windows version does not maintain the margin settings of the Mac file.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Links between spreadsheets don´t work !!!!

As tittle says, with the new update, links with another excel spreadsheets don´t work. And this is very very important !!!! Please, fix it asap.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Don't prompt to save at opening a file

As soon as I open a file, Excel believes that there a changes to the file, just because there are formulas in the workbook, and automatic evaluation of formulas is on by default. This is annoying because I cannot only open a workbook to quickly take a look at something and close again, without being prompted to save 'changes'.

I would like this behaviour to be like in Windows, where formulas are also evaluated automatically by default, but Excel considers only my manual changes as true changes.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. speed it up - improve the Office 365 so that it works like Office used to...

Since going to the subscription ($99/year) instead of purchasing the application on a CD, Excel is terribly slow: slow to load, mainly. Once it is up and running, it's ok, I think, though I haven't been doing anything very demanding on it.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Improve auto-recovery!

It is notIdea, rather requirement for correction of Office for Mac;

Excel (and Word) are crashing, Auto-recovery does not work and Auto-recovery folder is not traceable in Library

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base