Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Wont save an Excel file too many characters

Trying to save an Excel .XLS file, with a short name-I get the error message..."can't save too many characters" I reduced the name to just "Excel Sucks" and it still won't save - tried over 7 times. I do hate Microsoft and I do hate Excel - a necessary evil for work. MS - use some of your billions to fix your **** software please.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make Mac versions and Windows versions open the files with the same column width, font sizes, and margins

Currently, a column 215 px wide on a Mac (Excel 2015) will open at 251 px on a PC (Excel 2010 and 2016).
    also, fonts are not the same size. Bookman 8 words in the 215 px will not fit in 251 px.
    And the windows version does not maintain the margin settings of the Mac file.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. What is with the "Read Only" Files?

Keep getting a message that my spread sheet is a "read only" file. I have used excel for 20+ years and have never seen so many convoluted errors. I am the ONLY one who uses my computer - what am I missing here. Wow so tired of the conflicts between nazi Apple computers and Excel. Do you really have no use for Apple clients? Please put the control back in the program and stop trying to manipulate our documents. I DON'T WHAT YOU KEEPING MY DOCUMENTS ONLINE NOR WILL I EVER!! Leave me alone.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. STUPID EXCEL GO TO ****!!!! I worked for 3 hours and now i cant find (I SAVED IT 10 TIMES)

STUPID EXCEL GO TO ****!!!! I worked for 3 hours and now i cant find (I SAVED IT 10 TIMES)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Excel crashes when i use the formula searcher ("Search for a function")

With the Microsoft Office for Mac 20111 when i search for a Formula in the formula searcher ("Search for a function") where we right the name of the function to search it (in the "Formula Builder" interface) - after i put the first letter the excel crashes giving the message "Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. We Sorry for the inconvenience." and it restarts. It also produces a report and ask if i want to send it to Microsoft...
    Next i show you a green shoot of the error message and in the word file i…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. BUG: Version 14.7.1 on OS X 10.10.5, error

Version 14.7.1 on OS X 10.10.5, attempting to switch workbook windows using Command+~ while entering a formula results in an error message. See the attached screen shot.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. ISSUES in Excel MAC 2016

Hi I recently switched from excel 2011 to 2016. Using excel on mac seems like Microsoft purposefully left errors to serious excel users would have no option but to return to windows based computers. I am facing the following issues 1) black cross doesn't appear all the time so at times i am unable to drag or repeat data or formulas 2) when i click on a formula and it doesn't highlight all cells that formula is linked to 3) some times there is a lag, say i enter the numbers 100 into cell it, it takes sometimes very long…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Persistent font downloads

Office 2011 v14 seems to have persistent font downloads whenever I open Excel and Powerpoint. The downloads appear to be random, and it keeps asking me to download the same fonts over and over again (e.g. Osaka) when I re-launch the app. Any idea on how to fix this? It just started recently.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. When a user has illegal characters when trying to save a document, inform the user; don't confuse the user with permission.

When a user has illegal characters when trying to save a document, inform the user; don't confuse the user with permission. I have encountered this with a few users. Sometimes they attempt to put slashes or splats in their document and are greeted with "You do not have permission to save to "NAME OF FOLDER". Don't expect everyone to know that they can't use special characters!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Links between spreadsheets don´t work !!!!

As tittle says, with the new update, links with another excel spreadsheets don´t work. And this is very very important !!!! Please, fix it asap.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. applescript "save ... as PDF file format" does not work properly

I have tried the following code several different ways:

"save (sheet 1 of varReferencedWorkbook) in varPDFName as PDF file format"

I end up with the entire workbook converted to PDF (60+ pages) instead of only that sheet. If I am doing something wrong please tell me, otherwise please fix!!! Thank You.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. EXTERNAL LINKs

PLEASE PLEASE, FIX THE EXTERNAL LINK ISSUE. I'M TRYING TO BREAK A LINK BUT THE ACTION IS NOT TAKEN EFFECT.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Fix 2011 Mac so numbers accept comma separators again

As of recent update version 14.6.9 (160926) there are no longer commas as 000's separators, vene though the formatting screen has a button to do so and custom formats show commas - but none are inserted. As a professional accountant, this is unacceptable.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Don't prompt to save at opening a file

As soon as I open a file, Excel believes that there a changes to the file, just because there are formulas in the workbook, and automatic evaluation of formulas is on by default. This is annoying because I cannot only open a workbook to quickly take a look at something and close again, without being prompted to save 'changes'.

I would like this behaviour to be like in Windows, where formulas are also evaluated automatically by default, but Excel considers only my manual changes as true changes.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Not able to open outlook mail inserted in Excel

In excel if any outlook mail is embedded or insert, same is not getting opened in Mac but same is opening easily in windows

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Excel 2016 Mac external numerical keypads, number is immediately deleted

In Excel 15.22 for Mac
    When an usb external numerical keypad (Targus and Belkin) is used to enter numbers, the numbers appear but are immediately deleted.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Why can I open excel but not office?

Office 365 is really awful, and I don't know how to get a standalone version again. Crashing often. Right now I cannot get back into my office after crashing, but excel and powerpoint are still open? I've reset my password twice, nothing works. Really really really don't like the new format.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Excel could not open because some content is unreadable

Hello -

We use a collaborate Google Sheets to mark daily hours we spend on specific projects. Every month, I create a pivot table to tally the numbers/project. I want to back up this table for my records in an Excel workbook. When I download as .xlsx, I get an error message "Excel could not open .... because some content is unreadable". Then I click "Open and repair", and it says "Excel repaired or removed unreadable content from this workbook. Do you want to review or save the log file?". Therefore, I can assume some of my data is lost.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Correct the "Font Size Must Be Between 1 and 409" error that prevents using the ribbon control to alter the color of the borders.

Correct the "Font Size Must Be Between 1 and 409" error that prevents using the ribbon control to alter the color of the borders.
    Reset

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base