Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. version 15.39

It is displaying the file contents upside down. Most lines will correct when you do something to refresh the screen, but not the column headings for a table.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. trusted locations

Why is there no way to create a trusted location for the mac?
    After upgrading to 15.38 (170902). And for heavens sake why should I get for every minute get a warning dialog about trust issues. My document doesn't have a macro or any thing. Isn't there any quality checking??

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. stop selling ****

You can stop producing excel for Mac, it just doesn't work, it will be a gain of time and money for everybody

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Page orientation for printing should default to how document setting so it doesn't have to be re-set every time you print for every sheet.

Page orientation set in an Excel document/worksheet should stay put until the user changes it and it should print in that orientation unless otherwise changed during print. It should not revert to portrait (in both worksheet & printer) whenever print is selected. Hence, you should be able to have a workbook that contains worksheets of both portrait and landscape orientation and be able to print them all together. This is an unbelievable shortcoming.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Cursor not properly positioned when editing directly inside cell

Another user posted this issue and it's been marked as "completed". Many of us are still having the same problem more than a year after the fix was rolled out. I am reposting it as an issue.

Original description: I found out that if you have longer texts (>20 chars) inside an Excel Cell and you try to edit them the more you get to the right of the text the more the cursor is drawn off to the left of the characters it is actually between. Cursor Position seems to be calculated wrong. I am using Standard Calibri Font.…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Fix the Basic bugs so many have complained about. Is the Office of the President aware of the Mac Business Unit's refusal to help?

There are an incredible number of basic bugs that Microsoft refuses to address. For instance, 90% of the time I delete data from a cell, I must scroll up and then down for the worksheet view to appear blank. That is, deleting data from a cell, does in fact delete the data but the grid view of the cell still looks as though the data has not been deleted. I'm fed up with these kinds of basic bugs. Excel 2016 for Mac was released almost 2 years ago. I will be contacting MSFT's Office the President to inform them of…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. The Mac Excel 2017 always lag

The Mac Excel 2017 always lag.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. functions fail unless = is find and replaced with =

this is a new bug 7.10.2107
    previously when enter any formula e.g = VLOOKUIP(.... the formula would automatically compute. Now I need to replace the fx provided = with a find and replace =

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. fix column selection ( click column header on another WS ) in formula

When I have a formula in worksheet 5 and want to select for inside the formula column worksheet3!K:K I get worksheet3!A:N.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Make Excel save CSV files

Currently, when you are editing a .csv file, Excel will not save any changes when you go to File > Save or press ⌘S. It only saves the file when you quit Excel because it prompts you then to save your unsaved work.

Please make Excel actually save your documents when you press save.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Fix Unacceptable # of Bugs, make VBA Usable & Add Hot Keys

First, the number of basic bugs in unacceptable for a product that's been the market for well over a year. Often I type characters in cell and hit Enter yet the cell is blank. I scroll up and then down, and at that point, I see the that previously blank cell is now populated with the characters I had entered. This is unacceptable. When I freeze panes, the top row appears to have been duplicated but if I scroll up and then down, duplicated row disappears. So many different types of bugs that remedied by scrolling up and then down.…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Fix the Insane Number of Bugs in Excel 2016

Excel 2016 has so many bugs I don't even know where to start. I encounter various forms of Scrolling Bugs about every 10 minutes. Others have identified these bugs so I don't need to repeat the specifics. How can a product be on the market for over a year have so many basic bugs? Excel 2011 never ever had this many bugs nor did Excel 2008.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Crashes and yet more crashes

After yet another all-too-frequent crash, more work lost since the auto-recover NEVER works. Ironically, since the auto-recover NEVER works, the current crash was triggered by a manual save command. What the heck are you guys going to do about the MAC Office 2016. I seem to spend as much time informing you of glitches and lost functionality as doing real work. Please fess up and declare it a disaster and re-issue an earlier version (2008 preferably) until you can provide a real fix.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. I guess you aren't reading the comments and suggestions or...

....you simply DON'T GIVE A **** about your customers who continue to suffer crashes out of NOWHERE!

Autorecovery - not ONE single time has this alleged function worked for me when a crash occurs.

Autosave - see above! Why have the feature if it simply creates a FALSE HOPE that it can assist when one of your frequent crashes occur on my computer.

BEFORE you offer some egg head, dipshit comment like "you should just save your work frequently as you move along" I'll throw it back at you and say "WHY WOULD I NEED TO IF YOU WOULD FIX…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. You can start by FIXING THE CAUSE OF THE RECURRING EFFING CRASHES!!!

The frequency of crashes I experience with Excel for Mac Version 14.7.2 (170228) has reached EPIC status! I also experience the unexplained crashes in my Word for Mac program. With a bajillion dollars supporting you people, one would think you could fix these errors! But NO....it's been going on for over 5 years now, through many MANY updates and to no avail. Either you people are intentionally trying to send me to the edge of going postal just for kicks and giggles or you are MORONS. Which is it?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Wont save an Excel file too many characters

Trying to save an Excel .XLS file, with a short name-I get the error message..."can't save too many characters" I reduced the name to just "Excel Sucks" and it still won't save - tried over 7 times. I do hate Microsoft and I do hate Excel - a necessary evil for work. MS - use some of your billions to fix your **** software please.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Make Mac versions and Windows versions open the files with the same column width, font sizes, and margins

Currently, a column 215 px wide on a Mac (Excel 2015) will open at 251 px on a PC (Excel 2010 and 2016).
    also, fonts are not the same size. Bookman 8 words in the 215 px will not fit in 251 px.
    And the windows version does not maintain the margin settings of the Mac file.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. What is with the "Read Only" Files?

Keep getting a message that my spread sheet is a "read only" file. I have used excel for 20+ years and have never seen so many convoluted errors. I am the ONLY one who uses my computer - what am I missing here. Wow so tired of the conflicts between nazi Apple computers and Excel. Do you really have no use for Apple clients? Please put the control back in the program and stop trying to manipulate our documents. I DON'T WHAT YOU KEEPING MY DOCUMENTS ONLINE NOR WILL I EVER!! Leave me alone.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. STUPID EXCEL GO TO ****!!!! I worked for 3 hours and now i cant find (I SAVED IT 10 TIMES)

STUPID EXCEL GO TO ****!!!! I worked for 3 hours and now i cant find (I SAVED IT 10 TIMES)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base