Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Line break in Excel for Mac

I have tried either "Control + Option + Return" or "Commant + Option + Return" but didn't work. Please consider this small thing.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bulk delete of recents in v16

It is ridiculous that bulk 'recents' cannot be removed from Excel for Mac v16. In a very productive environment, this is too time-consuming to remove them one by one.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. The min function needs to work in tables that update. Currently they drop one row (result) and repeat the largest result in the new result.

I need a way to sort the data from the data entry column in a table on a nother column in ascending order. Min does not work. The new row repeats the highest results and the column drops a row. For example, imin($A$1:$A$22, $A$1:A1) in a table on a Mac does not work after adding a few numbers in A, the data entry column

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. I want to use dots as thousand separator in Excel charts labels

I want to use dots as thousand separator in Excel charts labels.
    I am not able, and understand other users experience the same problem:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/thousand-separator-changes-on-charts/703239f6-3323-4de3-8e6e-7f0f1143dcd5
    Jose Renato Mannis
    jrmannis@jrmannis.com
    +55 11 9 8279 9944

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Need to fix how Excel for Mac 16.23 is causing multiple files to open upon startup.

Need to fix how Excel for Mac 16.23 does not shut down properly and that causes it to open multiple files upon startup. This would seem like it is an autorecovery issue but it is not because it still occurs even after all autorecovery files have been sent to trash. A simple internet search will confirm that this is a long-standing problem many have suffered and there is no methodology offered to fix it. Even reinstalling Excel does not correct the issue.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Fix copy & paste bug when Handoff (Universal Clipboard) is enabled

When Handoff is enabled (which also enables Universal Clipboard) and you are signed in to iCloud on your Mac and a nearby iPhone or iPad, Excel will freeze when you try to copy any cell. The spinning beachball will appear for 3-4 seconds and you can't do anything while this is happening. The bug also affects Word. This happens even on a Clean Installed system so it is not a 3rd party conflict.

I've posted more details and a video of this happening on the Microsoft Community Forums:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/copy-cmdc-causes-spinning-beach-ball-delay-for-3-4/36e2e400-59c7-471b-b7d6-b5d5082a545a

I've tried to report this bug but it seems impossible to…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. password

Entry in a password field of a UserForm should be masked in Excel 2016 Mac (as it was in Excel 2011 and in every Excel version on Windows)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Strange Korean characters in formula bar.

Sometimes, Korean characters are look strange In Excel formula bar while the cell looks fine.
    Strange characters look like overlapped Korean characters "가".

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 64-bit Version for Excel for Mac 2011

Recent warnings via macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 are stating:
    "App" is not optimised for your Mac. This app needs to be updated by its Developer to improve compatibility.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Enable Label Options for Pareto Charts--can't rotate column data labels

After creating a Pareto Chart, I am unable to use the Size and Properties options in the Format Data Labels pane.

After chatting with MS support for an hour, the tech. was able to replicate my issue. I'm running Excel for Mac, v 16.16.1. My data labels are for dollar amounts which are too long to fit next to each other. I simply want to rotate the labels so they are readable.

I made a basic column chart of the same data and I can rotate those data labels.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Excel 2018 for Mac does not open xlsm files from previous versions

Excel 2018 for Mac has a very serious error:

Do not open the xlsm files prepared with previous versions, please correct ... !!! I have tried it with all my previous excel files and in all it sends me a message of ERROR, when accepting that Excel proceeds to repair it deletes all the macros that you have programmed in VBA !!!

What kind of error is that ???

PLEASE CORRECT THAT HORROR !!!! ...

The exact message is the following:

Notice:

We have found a problem with 'book.xlsm' content. Do you want us to try to recover as much…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Que Excel 2018 for Mac abra bien los archivos xlsm de versiones anteriores

Excel 2016 for Mac tiene un error muy grave :

No abre archivos xlsm elaborados por versiones anteriores, favor de corregir... !!! lo he probado con todos mis archivos excel anteriores y en todos me manda un mensaje de ERROR, y Excel, al intentar repararlo le quita todas las macros que le hayas programado !!!

Qué es eso ??? POR FAVOR CORRIJAN ESE HORROR !!!!... El mensaje exacto es el siguiente:

Aviso:

Hemos encontrado un problema con contenido de ‘libro.xlsm'. ¿Desea que intentemos recuperar el máximo de contenido posible? Si confía en el origen de este libro, haga clic en…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. I can't always click on cells/tabs in excel when using on the mac. this happens fo about 1 minute every 5 minutes

I can't always click on cells/tabs in excel when using on the mac. this happens fo about 1 minute every 5 minutes

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. There is a bug on the date function Excel believes that February 29, 1900 exist but this date does not exist

Microsoft Excel believes that February 29, 1900 exist when there is no such date as 1900 is not a leap year.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Characters being used the default japanese font "Yu-gothic" are not display correctly on worksheets.

Characters being used the default Japanese font "Yu-gothic" are not display correctly on worksheets. They look like Mincho style. This is just a bug of Excel for Mac Japanese edition. I hope that the bug is fixed as soon as possible.

日本語のデフォルトのフォントである游ゴシックを使った文字は、ワークシート上で正しく表示されません。それらは明朝体に見えます。これは日本版のExcel for Macのバグです。できるだけ早く修正されることを望みます。

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Microsoft issues 16.16 update for Mac OSX High Sierra Number format not working?

Well? Yesterday, Microsoft issues 16.16 update for Mac OSX High Sierra and all worksheets crashed that had Office sounds marked. So, I had to un-mark my Office sounds. Today, (6/30/18) Microsoft issued a update 16.16.0. Guess what now??? They fixed the Office sounds, but now you can NOT enter the comma in Numbers or change any numbers you have input. As an example...I put in number 231. It came up on the spread sheet as 2. SO I checked the format "Cells" and it was on Number, and decimal zero and with commas...BUT, it doesn't change anything to how the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Compile error in hidden module

Compile error in hidden module: 'Module_General'. This error usually occurs when the code is not compatible with the version, platform or architecture of this application.

Pleas repair this error, I can't open any files because of this error. It's a company file I'm working with, from a company that's working on MS machines. Opening the file on a MS laptop is no problem at all. Excel on Mac version 16.14.1

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Office 365/Excel updated today on MacOS High Sierra late 2013 mac and wouldn't open. Had to roll back to 15.xx version.

Office 365/Excel 16.xx updated today on MacOS High Sierra late 2013 mac and wouldn't open. Had to roll back to 15.xx version. Online help/chat helpful. Will check next month for update

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. there is no selection tool for objects in excel for mac 2016 - so very hard to edit objects in a spreadsheet, such as arrows

we need a selection tool to grab objects like arrows or shapes in a group of cells. Then the cells are selected, we can only edit the cells contents but not the objects. Trying to get round this omission is very hard. And deleting objects does not mean they disappear. It is all very hit and miss.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Fix memory leak when using Filtering

Excel has a crazy memory leak!
    I load a sheet with 26,000 rows, no problem. It's all just text and the file size is only 4MB. I turn on data filtering, and the memory usage climbs to 10GB until the beach ball stops spinning and the filtering is in place. But then, while I'm not doing anything with Excel, Activity Monitor shows the memory usage continuing to climb. Excel is sitting there in some loop just sucking up memory, climbing at about 1GB every 2-3 seconds.
    Last week it showed Excel using 156GB of memory
    When I quit Excel, it's…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base