Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. refresh data

MacOS High Sierra
    Version:10.13.3

Excel Version:16.11(180311)

When I use "DATA-REFRESH(ALL)" , the application gets force quit, and the "extremal data connections has been enable". I re-installed the software, never for good.
    It happens every time I use it, still have not resolved this problem.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 2018 losing copy and paste

In 2010 and 2017 one could copy and repeatedly past text acrosss multiple cells. A Microsoft update in 2018 has killed that function. Work around is cumbersome
    I have reverted to my 2011 Macbook with 2010 excel and copy the completed file to a usb stick, then copy file to 2017 Macbook Microsoft admits this is a known issue.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Since Last Update Excel Crashing When Selecting Different Tab

Excel 16.11 in Mac OS 10.13.3: Excel crashes upon selecting a different populated tab. Occurring in every workbook that I open. Please provide an update fix ASAP.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Fix Format Cells shortcut (now it’s creating a new sheet instead of opening Format Cells)

Since the last update to Excel 16.10 (180210) used on macOS 10.11.6, when I use the Command+1 combination it creates a new sheet instead of opening the Format Cells dialog. I tried working with Microsoft Support by chat, but their solution of trashing the Excel plist did nothing.

This problem happens the first 6 or 10 times I use that key combination, but then it seems to revert back to normal operation until I close Excel. The next time I open Excel, the problem’s back.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Since 25 February 2018 the 'Freeze Panes' command crashes the workbook

Since 25 February 2018 the 'Freeze Panes' command crashes the workbook

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Fix the scroll wheel in the VBA editor in version 16.10.

In the VBA editor window of v. 16.10, the edit window doesn't seem to recognize the system-preferences setting for scrolling speed and defaults to the slowest-possible value. This effectively disables the scroll wheel on the mouse, creating a serious nuisance for anyone who's accustomed to using the thing. The problem affects only the mouse wheel and not scrolling from a touchpad suggesting that it's a small oversight rather than a major issue. Thanks!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Fix Autorecover

Please fix the autorecover feature.

Both my computers fail to save autorecover files for Excel in version 16.9 (though fine for Word) and when crashes occur the "recovered" files are in fact the last files I manually saved, though sometimes with "(version 1)" added to the filename at the top of the window.

For a productivity application, a non-working autorecover feature is terrible.

The AutoSave option isn't much of a substitute as it only seems to work with files opened from OneDrive online, not the OneDrive or any other folder on the Mac itself.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Tell me feature for Mac

I would like to see the Tell me Feature on office for Mac

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Improve auto-recovery!

It is notIdea, rather requirement for correction of Office for Mac;

Excel (and Word) are crashing, Auto-recovery does not work and Auto-recovery folder is not traceable in Library

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. The Excel 16.9 for Mac update has caused serious cursor lag issues as well as a copy outline that doesn't go away.

The Excel 16.9 for Mac update has caused serious cursor lag issues and the marching ants outline when copying and pasting is now bolder and doesn't go away after completing the operation. It seriously slows down use of the application.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Excel 2016 complete freeze with 99% CPU usage

After launching Excel on a simple file with macros disabled.
    Looking at CPU 99-100% is used making Excel completely frozen.

Not sure it has anything to do with it, after killing excel, a process parentalcontrolsd is spawn (even if disabled on that Mac)

Attach a dump of the running process and after the kill, plus screenshot on MAC config.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Hyperlinks that worked in Excel for Mac 2011 no longer work in Excel for Mac 2016

I regularly hyperlink documents to transactions recorded in Excel, e.g. easy to locate and view the pdf invoice that relates to an invoice entry in a spreadsheet.

This worked perfectly in Excel for Mac 2011 (no longer supported), but won't work in Excel for Mac 2016.

If a hyperlink is created in Excel for Mac 2016 it will work, BUT ONLY UNTIL you close Excel. Next time you open Excel the links no longer work even though they are retained.

Interestingly, if you try to use the hyperlinks in Excel for Mac 2011 again, they work perfectly whether created in…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Make third party fonts usable in charts and graphs

It's currently acting as if it changes the font but just stays the same visually. Very buggy considering I can change the cell to a third-party font, just not the charts which is annoying as it makes them difficult to customise in accordance with branding guidelines.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Unresponsiveness in Excel for Mac

Using Excel for Mac (v16.9) on desktop from an Office 365 pkg (issues while working with local files - not online).

Sporadic issues:
    1. Can't select a cell using a mouse (periodically) - forced to navigate via keyboard arrows
    2. Selected cells (when copying) won't un-select even after saving or double clicking in another cell
    3. Drag and drop doesn't always work - sometimes due to lag times
    4. Lag times in responsiveness (overall)

I've read about these issues related to v15 and saw that they were reported as fixed in v15.20. Why am I still experiencing these issues? Could…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Stop Messing Up Row Height

release 16.9 sees the return of the bug that automatically increases row heights on some sheets - completely messes-up layout of sheets.

Was this release actually tested? (pretty disastrous to have this - I've had to downgrade to 15.41)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Put Ribbon Icons/Controls back to previous release size!

release 16.9 has slightly larger icons and controls in the ribbon making it larger (taking more vertical screen space. No good reason for this and we don't all have 42" screens - so put it back how it was and restore the previous icon size.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Excel 16.8 not loading custom workbook and sheet templates in Startup folder

Since updating to 16.8, Excel does not open the template files in the Startup folder. Please fix.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Displaying number of decimal places

Excel 15.412. A new glitch. I enter a number, say 56, in a cell, but the display shows 0.56. In Preferences-Edits, I do have the “Display number of decimal places” checked for 2 decimal places, as I have always liked this as my default for displaying numbers. Therefore, I would expect that entering 56 would display as 56.00, as it always had in all previous versions of Excel. What is going on? This glitch is adding a lot of valuable time to my work, since I have to uncheck the "2 decimal places" box and then reformat all work to…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Excel withouth crashing

Please make the new version of excel like the version was in early 2016. Since an update in 2016 Excel is crashing when I'm trying to add background color to the cells. Even on Sierra and High Sierra. I've sent error reports, but nothing happened - that's why it seems like it is a feature not a fault for Microsoft. So please, make Excel like it was before. Without crashing, without any troubles.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Excel Error in Date Format with vers 16.9 (171206)

When applying a date format like "dddd" to a spreadsheet-cell, Excel does not recon this. The appropriate "date" format pre-set form (Format -> Cell) seems to be corrupted. (see image enclosed)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base