Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. speed it up - improve the Office 365 so that it works like Office used to...

Since going to the subscription ($99/year) instead of purchasing the application on a CD, Excel is terribly slow: slow to load, mainly. Once it is up and running, it's ok, I think, though I haven't been doing anything very demanding on it.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Error with VLOOKUP and GETPIVOTDATA double-populating characters

When I try entering a formula in which the range references cells in a separate workbook, I get a double-character in the formula when I start typing again.

For example, I try to enter the formula:
    =VLOOKUP(A1,'[Workbook-Name]Sheet1'!$A$C,3,FALSE)

To populate the cell range, I click into the other workbook and highlight the desired columns. Then I enter the comma and 3. Excel will automatically turn the 3 into a 33.

For GETPIVOT, I see similar issues, but this time it tends to insert two commas after the workbook cell reference.
    Sample formula:
    =GETPIVOTDATA("Field",'[Workbook-Name]Sheet1'!$A1,"Name","Value")

If I create formulas reference ranges within the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ignore this error

When I set formatting in a cell for "text" and paste a number, stop giving an error that the number is formatted as text. I know. You know why?

See if you can follow:
    I set the formatting manually. I already know it's a number being displayed as text. If I set something manually, stop telling me it's set that way. Especially if there are already important contextual clues (like the number sticking to the right side of the cell or not truncating or adopting date format, etc) showing that it's formatted as text.

I hate having to manually declare…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Major Data Entry Issue

If a cell contains the number zero, and I enter another number in that cell, the zero gets appended to the new number. For example, if I enter the number 5, Excel shows 50 in that cell instead of just 5.

Although this doesn't happen all the time, I have actually had it happen to me once out of approximately every three tries.

This is serious because people using spreadsheets automatically enter numbers into cells and always assume the that new number will replace the old. The fact that it appends the zero to the new number can cause users…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Since downloading 2016 I get this alert everytime I do anything: Cannot use object linking or embedding. How do you stop that???

Since downloading 2016 I get this alert everytime I do anything: Cannot use object linking or embedding. How do you stop that???

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. how about fixing the spinning beachball for 30-40 seconds whenever I start excel or word? What could it possibly be doing?

Office 2011 mac, yosemite, fully up to date. Whenever I start excel or word - they load up, the window is there but I can't do ANYTHING with the app for another 30-40 seconds. I have good internet, and updates turned off (I run manually), so is this just about making me think about getting a new version?

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. EXCEL SUCKS for mac 2011. it crashes, formulas do not work properly. no one has answers to fix these problems. what a waste of my $$$

Excel sucks. i hate it. version 2011 for mac is such a piece of crap. it crashes often when switching between windows, formulas do not work properly. i have never seen such a piece of crap.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Can you fix the mail merge bug in Office Mac 2011?

Mail merge does not work with an xlsm file, are there plans to fix this, it is extremely frustrating and time consuming using work arounds.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Make AutoComplete work without crashing the application

With AutoComplete switched on in preferences and some reasonably complex spreadsheets (names, table structured references &c.) typing into the formula bar will pretty reliably crash Mac Excel.

It's extremely frustrating and makes working on more complex spreadsheets basically impossible. Please fix this!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. A way to disable "Some files can contain viruses or otherwise be harmful to your computer" each time I click on a linked file

If that notification could be disabled that would be great. I use excel a lot to keep a long list of powerpoints organized as we get them in med school and each one I click on I have to grant permissions for that file and then I also get the other pop-up about that it can contain viruses. I understand it's important to be there but I would really like a way to turn it off or a "do not ask me again"

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 6 7 8 10 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base