Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. there is no selection tool for objects in excel for mac 2016 - so very hard to edit objects in a spreadsheet, such as arrows

we need a selection tool to grab objects like arrows or shapes in a group of cells. Then the cells are selected, we can only edit the cells contents but not the objects. Trying to get round this omission is very hard. And deleting objects does not mean they disappear. It is all very hit and miss.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Characters being used the default japanese font "Yu-gothic" are not display correctly on worksheets.

Characters being used the default Japanese font "Yu-gothic" are not display correctly on worksheets. They look like Mincho style. This is just a bug of Excel for Mac Japanese edition. I hope that the bug is fixed as soon as possible.

日本語のデフォルトのフォントである游ゴシックを使った文字は、ワークシート上で正しく表示されません。それらは明朝体に見えます。これは日本版のExcel for Macのバグです。できるだけ早く修正されることを望みます。

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Compile error in hidden module

Compile error in hidden module: 'Module_General'. This error usually occurs when the code is not compatible with the version, platform or architecture of this application.

Pleas repair this error, I can't open any files because of this error. It's a company file I'm working with, from a company that's working on MS machines. Opening the file on a MS laptop is no problem at all. Excel on Mac version 16.14.1

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Office 365/Excel updated today on MacOS High Sierra late 2013 mac and wouldn't open. Had to roll back to 15.xx version.

Office 365/Excel 16.xx updated today on MacOS High Sierra late 2013 mac and wouldn't open. Had to roll back to 15.xx version. Online help/chat helpful. Will check next month for update

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Microsoft issues 16.16 update for Mac OSX High Sierra Number format not working?

Well? Yesterday, Microsoft issues 16.16 update for Mac OSX High Sierra and all worksheets crashed that had Office sounds marked. So, I had to un-mark my Office sounds. Today, (6/30/18) Microsoft issued a update 16.16.0. Guess what now??? They fixed the Office sounds, but now you can NOT enter the comma in Numbers or change any numbers you have input. As an example...I put in number 231. It came up on the spread sheet as 2. SO I checked the format "Cells" and it was on Number, and decimal zero and with commas...BUT, it doesn't change anything to how the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. cannot sort data without it crashing after High Sierra upgrade

Every time I try to sort my data the whole spreadsheet crashes. Now I save everything almost after I put data in a cell. This is crazy. Just updated to High Sierra. Guess that was a really bad move.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Fix memory leak when using Filtering

Excel has a crazy memory leak!
    I load a sheet with 26,000 rows, no problem. It's all just text and the file size is only 4MB. I turn on data filtering, and the memory usage climbs to 10GB until the beach ball stops spinning and the filtering is in place. But then, while I'm not doing anything with Excel, Activity Monitor shows the memory usage continuing to climb. Excel is sitting there in some loop just sucking up memory, climbing at about 1GB every 2-3 seconds.
    Last week it showed Excel using 156GB of memory
    When I quit Excel, it's…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. MacOS High Sierra Ver 10.13.4

MacOS High Sierra Ver 10.13.4. MS Excel 2008 keeps crashing every time I enter data.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. The Excel 16.9 for Mac update has caused serious cursor lag issues as well as a copy outline that doesn't go away.

The Excel 16.9 for Mac update has caused serious cursor lag issues and the marching ants outline when copying and pasting is now bolder and doesn't go away after completing the operation. It seriously slows down use of the application.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Since Last Update Excel Crashing When Selecting Different Tab

Excel 16.11 in Mac OS 10.13.3: Excel crashes upon selecting a different populated tab. Occurring in every workbook that I open. Please provide an update fix ASAP.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. refresh data

MacOS High Sierra
    Version:10.13.3

Excel Version:16.11(180311)

When I use "DATA-REFRESH(ALL)" , the application gets force quit, and the "extremal data connections has been enable". I re-installed the software, never for good.
    It happens every time I use it, still have not resolved this problem.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Fix the scroll wheel in the VBA editor in version 16.10.

In the VBA editor window of v. 16.10, the edit window doesn't seem to recognize the system-preferences setting for scrolling speed and defaults to the slowest-possible value. This effectively disables the scroll wheel on the mouse, creating a serious nuisance for anyone who's accustomed to using the thing. The problem affects only the mouse wheel and not scrolling from a touchpad suggesting that it's a small oversight rather than a major issue. Thanks!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Excel 2016 complete freeze with 99% CPU usage

After launching Excel on a simple file with macros disabled.
    Looking at CPU 99-100% is used making Excel completely frozen.

Not sure it has anything to do with it, after killing excel, a process parentalcontrolsd is spawn (even if disabled on that Mac)

Attach a dump of the running process and after the kill, plus screenshot on MAC config.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Fix Format Cells shortcut (now it’s creating a new sheet instead of opening Format Cells)

Since the last update to Excel 16.10 (180210) used on macOS 10.11.6, when I use the Command+1 combination it creates a new sheet instead of opening the Format Cells dialog. I tried working with Microsoft Support by chat, but their solution of trashing the Excel plist did nothing.

This problem happens the first 6 or 10 times I use that key combination, but then it seems to revert back to normal operation until I close Excel. The next time I open Excel, the problem’s back.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Excel 16.8 not loading custom workbook and sheet templates in Startup folder

Since updating to 16.8, Excel does not open the template files in the Startup folder. Please fix.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Excel error

When I try to close excel or save a file, the following error appears as per attachments. I noticed the error started when iMac updated to version 10.13.1 (High Sierra)

I have also updated Excel software, but error still appears. Please fix.

Thanks Steve

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Nothing works in Excel 16.7 after upgrade to build 171017

Yesterday (2017-10-19) I received a Office Insider Fast upgrade for Excel and after that nothing works. I have the danish version of Excel installed and I can't work on neither new spreadsheets nor existing ones. If I try to enter a value in a cell I get the message "Advarsel: Ingen objekter fundet." (translates to "Warning: No objects found") If I try to edit existing content I get a new window asking me what I want to group by... Nothing works. Please see attached screenshots.

Anybody got any ideas to what this could be?

Please help, I'm desperate.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Excel Error in Date Format with vers 16.9 (171206)

When applying a date format like "dddd" to a spreadsheet-cell, Excel does not recon this. The appropriate "date" format pre-set form (Format -> Cell) seems to be corrupted. (see image enclosed)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Fix bug with CPU Straining

Whenever Excel is "left alone" with an open dialogue box (usually when trying trying to log out of the user) it starts hogging CPU like crazy. We're talking 99% CPU usage just for excel even though the sheets are just a few columns of numbers.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base