Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make third party fonts usable in charts and graphs

It's currently acting as if it changes the font but just stays the same visually. Very buggy considering I can change the cell to a third-party font, just not the charts which is annoying as it makes them difficult to customise in accordance with branding guidelines.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Put Ribbon Icons/Controls back to previous release size!

release 16.9 has slightly larger icons and controls in the ribbon making it larger (taking more vertical screen space. No good reason for this and we don't all have 42" screens - so put it back how it was and restore the previous icon size.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Cannot paste into field in UserForm when displayed on Mac in Excel 2016

Context: A spreadsheet with a macro created on a PC with a UserForm.
    When run on a PC, the user can copy and paste values into the form fields (in our case, a long URL). When run on a Mac, the Paste command is unavailable, both from menus, context menus and the keyboard.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Default view for ALL documents - so they aren't opening in tiny windows?

In the new version press release it says 'it's a bit rough around the edges'. In my experience, so is the current version. There's not even a 'view' default that can be set - so excel docs open at whatever size they decide.(?) So I'm spending all my time resizing tiny excel windows and all support can do is pass me over here - quite how that cures the bugs in my program I have no idea.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Latest fast build crashes during launch

Excel will not open. Attached screenshots. Have restarted, force quit, and the like. Signed out/in. Excel always crashes on start.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. auto recovery and everything else.

Auto recovery never works. Since this awful version of Excel (now on 15.39) crashes frequently, I am losing work too many times. Not once have I been able to recover a file after a crash. The autorecovery directory is always empty. I think I'm done with this. In a real attempt to post positive feedback to improve the OFFICE 2016 programs, not one of my suggestions, often supported by dozens of other users, have been acted on. Microsoft clearly has no interest in supporting the MAC version of Office. It's a disgrace that a company with such a global monopoly…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. constantly crashing and losting data - at least always save user work!!!!!!

this app is in need of serious redesign of basic functions - like saving work before a crash. I am done with excel and losing my time due to this horrible application. MS means losing time and money.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Fix the Insane Number of Bugs in Excel 2016

Excel 2016 has so many bugs I don't even know where to start. I encounter various forms of Scrolling Bugs about every 10 minutes. Others have identified these bugs so I don't need to repeat the specifics. How can a product be on the market for over a year have so many basic bugs? Excel 2011 never ever had this many bugs nor did Excel 2008.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Page orientation for printing should default to how document setting so it doesn't have to be re-set every time you print for every sheet.

Page orientation set in an Excel document/worksheet should stay put until the user changes it and it should print in that orientation unless otherwise changed during print. It should not revert to portrait (in both worksheet & printer) whenever print is selected. Hence, you should be able to have a workbook that contains worksheets of both portrait and landscape orientation and be able to print them all together. This is an unbelievable shortcoming.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Hi there is a bug , first letter in word in WORD or in a range of EXCEL is in english, although I have switched to greek, then everything

Hi there is a bug , first letter in word in WORD or in a range of EXCEL is in english, although I have switched to greek, then everything

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Crashes and yet more crashes

After yet another all-too-frequent crash, more work lost since the auto-recover NEVER works. Ironically, since the auto-recover NEVER works, the current crash was triggered by a manual save command. What the heck are you guys going to do about the MAC Office 2016. I seem to spend as much time informing you of glitches and lost functionality as doing real work. Please fess up and declare it a disaster and re-issue an earlier version (2008 preferably) until you can provide a real fix.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. I guess you aren't reading the comments and suggestions or...

....you simply DON'T GIVE A **** about your customers who continue to suffer crashes out of NOWHERE!

Autorecovery - not ONE single time has this alleged function worked for me when a crash occurs.

Autosave - see above! Why have the feature if it simply creates a FALSE HOPE that it can assist when one of your frequent crashes occur on my computer.

BEFORE you offer some egg head, dipshit comment like "you should just save your work frequently as you move along" I'll throw it back at you and say "WHY WOULD I NEED TO IF YOU WOULD FIX…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Make Mac versions and Windows versions open the files with the same column width, font sizes, and margins

Currently, a column 215 px wide on a Mac (Excel 2015) will open at 251 px on a PC (Excel 2010 and 2016).
    also, fonts are not the same size. Bookman 8 words in the 215 px will not fit in 251 px.
    And the windows version does not maintain the margin settings of the Mac file.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. When a user has illegal characters when trying to save a document, inform the user; don't confuse the user with permission.

When a user has illegal characters when trying to save a document, inform the user; don't confuse the user with permission. I have encountered this with a few users. Sometimes they attempt to put slashes or splats in their document and are greeted with "You do not have permission to save to "NAME OF FOLDER". Don't expect everyone to know that they can't use special characters!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Links between spreadsheets don´t work !!!!

As tittle says, with the new update, links with another excel spreadsheets don´t work. And this is very very important !!!! Please, fix it asap.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Persistent font downloads

Office 2011 v14 seems to have persistent font downloads whenever I open Excel and Powerpoint. The downloads appear to be random, and it keeps asking me to download the same fonts over and over again (e.g. Osaka) when I re-launch the app. Any idea on how to fix this? It just started recently.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Correct the "Font Size Must Be Between 1 and 409" error that prevents using the ribbon control to alter the color of the borders.

Correct the "Font Size Must Be Between 1 and 409" error that prevents using the ribbon control to alter the color of the borders.
    Reset

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. speed it up - improve the Office 365 so that it works like Office used to...

Since going to the subscription ($99/year) instead of purchasing the application on a CD, Excel is terribly slow: slow to load, mainly. Once it is up and running, it's ok, I think, though I haven't been doing anything very demanding on it.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. how about fixing the spinning beachball for 30-40 seconds whenever I start excel or word? What could it possibly be doing?

Office 2011 mac, yosemite, fully up to date. Whenever I start excel or word - they load up, the window is there but I can't do ANYTHING with the app for another 30-40 seconds. I have good internet, and updates turned off (I run manually), so is this just about making me think about getting a new version?

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. A way to disable "Some files can contain viruses or otherwise be harmful to your computer" each time I click on a linked file

If that notification could be disabled that would be great. I use excel a lot to keep a long list of powerpoints organized as we get them in med school and each one I click on I have to grant permissions for that file and then I also get the other pop-up about that it can contain viruses. I understand it's important to be there but I would really like a way to turn it off or a "do not ask me again"

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base