Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I can't always click on cells/tabs in excel when using on the mac. this happens fo about 1 minute every 5 minutes

I can't always click on cells/tabs in excel when using on the mac. this happens fo about 1 minute every 5 minutes

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Excel 2018 for Mac does not open xlsm files from previous versions

Excel 2018 for Mac has a very serious error:

Do not open the xlsm files prepared with previous versions, please correct ... !!! I have tried it with all my previous excel files and in all it sends me a message of ERROR, when accepting that Excel proceeds to repair it deletes all the macros that you have programmed in VBA !!!

What kind of error is that ???

PLEASE CORRECT THAT HORROR !!!! ...

The exact message is the following:

Notice:

We have found a problem with 'book.xlsm' content. Do you want us to try to recover as much…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Que Excel 2018 for Mac abra bien los archivos xlsm de versiones anteriores

Excel 2016 for Mac tiene un error muy grave :

No abre archivos xlsm elaborados por versiones anteriores, favor de corregir... !!! lo he probado con todos mis archivos excel anteriores y en todos me manda un mensaje de ERROR, y Excel, al intentar repararlo le quita todas las macros que le hayas programado !!!

Qué es eso ??? POR FAVOR CORRIJAN ESE HORROR !!!!... El mensaje exacto es el siguiente:

Aviso:

Hemos encontrado un problema con contenido de ‘libro.xlsm'. ¿Desea que intentemos recuperar el máximo de contenido posible? Si confía en el origen de este libro, haga clic en…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Open embedded pdf files in PPTX, XLSX & DOCX for Office 2011

PDF files embedded in PPTX, XLSX and (probably) DOCX documents using the Windows versions of Office cannot be opened by MAC versions of Office (specifically Office 2011).

Error message is given as: “Cannot start the source application for this object. There may not be enough memory available”. But it is actually a lack of functionality. Please add this functionality.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Unresponsiveness in Excel for Mac

Using Excel for Mac (v16.9) on desktop from an Office 365 pkg (issues while working with local files - not online).

Sporadic issues:
    1. Can't select a cell using a mouse (periodically) - forced to navigate via keyboard arrows
    2. Selected cells (when copying) won't un-select even after saving or double clicking in another cell
    3. Drag and drop doesn't always work - sometimes due to lag times
    4. Lag times in responsiveness (overall)

I've read about these issues related to v15 and saw that they were reported as fixed in v15.20. Why am I still experiencing these issues? Could…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 64-bit Version for Excel for Mac 2011

Recent warnings via macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 are stating:
    "App" is not optimised for your Mac. This app needs to be updated by its Developer to improve compatibility.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Enable Label Options for Pareto Charts--can't rotate column data labels

After creating a Pareto Chart, I am unable to use the Size and Properties options in the Format Data Labels pane.

After chatting with MS support for an hour, the tech. was able to replicate my issue. I'm running Excel for Mac, v 16.16.1. My data labels are for dollar amounts which are too long to fit next to each other. I simply want to rotate the labels so they are readable.

I made a basic column chart of the same data and I can rotate those data labels.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Need to fix the problem with https hyperlinks generating a "Cannot locate the Internet server or proxy server" message.

Need to fix the problem with https hyperlinks generating a "Cannot locate the Internet server or proxy server" message. This is unacceptable!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Compile error in hidden module

Compile error in hidden module: 'Module_General'. This error usually occurs when the code is not compatible with the version, platform or architecture of this application.

Pleas repair this error, I can't open any files because of this error. It's a company file I'm working with, from a company that's working on MS machines. Opening the file on a MS laptop is no problem at all. Excel on Mac version 16.14.1

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. There is a bug on the date function Excel believes that February 29, 1900 exist but this date does not exist

Microsoft Excel believes that February 29, 1900 exist when there is no such date as 1900 is not a leap year.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Excel crashes when I try to change colors (OS X High Sierra)

Excel 15.14 (150911) and High Sierra (10.13.4). Every time I try to change cell background/text colors, Excel crashes (more specifically when opening color palette (after clicking cell color/text color change button) Excel suddenly stops working and crashes).

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Tell me feature for Mac

I would like to see the Tell me Feature on office for Mac

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Fix Autorecover

Please fix the autorecover feature.

Both my computers fail to save autorecover files for Excel in version 16.9 (though fine for Word) and when crashes occur the "recovered" files are in fact the last files I manually saved, though sometimes with "(version 1)" added to the filename at the top of the window.

For a productivity application, a non-working autorecover feature is terrible.

The AutoSave option isn't much of a substitute as it only seems to work with files opened from OneDrive online, not the OneDrive or any other folder on the Mac itself.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 2018 losing copy and paste

In 2010 and 2017 one could copy and repeatedly past text acrosss multiple cells. A Microsoft update in 2018 has killed that function. Work around is cumbersome
    I have reverted to my 2011 Macbook with 2010 excel and copy the completed file to a usb stick, then copy file to 2017 Macbook Microsoft admits this is a known issue.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Improve auto-recovery!

It is notIdea, rather requirement for correction of Office for Mac;

Excel (and Word) are crashing, Auto-recovery does not work and Auto-recovery folder is not traceable in Library

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Cursor not properly positioned when editing directly inside cell

Another user posted this issue and it's been marked as "completed". Many of us are still having the same problem more than a year after the fix was rolled out. I am reposting it as an issue.

Original description: I found out that if you have longer texts (>20 chars) inside an Excel Cell and you try to edit them the more you get to the right of the text the more the cursor is drawn off to the left of the characters it is actually between. Cursor Position seems to be calculated wrong. I am using Standard Calibri Font.…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Hyperlinks that worked in Excel for Mac 2011 no longer work in Excel for Mac 2016

I regularly hyperlink documents to transactions recorded in Excel, e.g. easy to locate and view the pdf invoice that relates to an invoice entry in a spreadsheet.

This worked perfectly in Excel for Mac 2011 (no longer supported), but won't work in Excel for Mac 2016.

If a hyperlink is created in Excel for Mac 2016 it will work, BUT ONLY UNTIL you close Excel. Next time you open Excel the links no longer work even though they are retained.

Interestingly, if you try to use the hyperlinks in Excel for Mac 2011 again, they work perfectly whether created in…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Excel withouth crashing

Please make the new version of excel like the version was in early 2016. Since an update in 2016 Excel is crashing when I'm trying to add background color to the cells. Even on Sierra and High Sierra. I've sent error reports, but nothing happened - that's why it seems like it is a feature not a fault for Microsoft. So please, make Excel like it was before. Without crashing, without any troubles.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Include Ribbon customizing for Macs - like you pretend is available when bought!!!!

In the online statement AND help, Microsoft states that ribbon customizing is available for Macs - BUT, IT IS NOT!!! a disservice to Mac users - include it or don't tell us its available!!!
    Found this out after HOURS with tech support!!!
    Would like to add curse words here!!!!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. modify page breaks in excel

Improve the ability to modify page breaks in excel (as in the windows version): often the cursor to move page breaks does not appear or does not shift the breaks

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base