Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix ability to open XML files

Up until Dec 2018 I was able to open an XML file directly in Mac Excel. Last week in Dec and still now I get this message: The file you are trying to open is not a valid Excel XML Spreadsheet.
    I am currently at Mac Excel version 16.20 (181208)

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix copy & paste bug when Handoff (Universal Clipboard) is enabled

When Handoff is enabled (which also enables Universal Clipboard) and you are signed in to iCloud on your Mac and a nearby iPhone or iPad, Excel will freeze when you try to copy any cell. The spinning beachball will appear for 3-4 seconds and you can't do anything while this is happening. The bug also affects Word. This happens even on a Clean Installed system so it is not a 3rd party conflict.

I've posted more details and a video of this happening on the Microsoft Community Forums:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/copy-cmdc-causes-spinning-beach-ball-delay-for-3-4/36e2e400-59c7-471b-b7d6-b5d5082a545a

I've tried to report this bug but it seems impossible to…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Excel crashes and cells cannot be edited with High Sierra

Dear Excel team, this has been posted already and has 74 comments on it, but you closed it. The reason you are not seeing crash reports is because we have to kill the app and this doesn't seem to generate a crash report.

Issue is as described by 4 pages of comments, please reopen. If not then I have created this as a new issue.

If you attempt to double click in the cell or click in the function bar, then Excel freezes, by keeping the cursor in the cell and removing keyboard entry. Menu's stop working as well, the…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Need to fix how Excel for Mac 16.23 is causing multiple files to open upon startup.

Need to fix how Excel for Mac 16.23 does not shut down properly and that causes it to open multiple files upon startup. This would seem like it is an autorecovery issue but it is not because it still occurs even after all autorecovery files have been sent to trash. A simple internet search will confirm that this is a long-standing problem many have suffered and there is no methodology offered to fix it. Even reinstalling Excel does not correct the issue.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. solver multiple range

Using Solver, you cannot select multiple ranges in the "By changing variable cells box. If you select a range, type "," and select another range, the first range is overwritten rather than appended as in the Windows version of Excel.

Version 16.12

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Fix encoding problem with Japanese

I work at a school that uses Excel for grades and must work with files that are made on Excel with a Windows machine. Each time I try to open a file with long lists of names in Japanese and corresponding scores from the student's test, the Excel on my Mac crashes.

I believe the problem has to do with how Excel 16 is encoding the Japanese characters from the Windows machine. I thought it might be a problem of fonts on my Mac but I have checked and all the fonts are in working order, with no problems in…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Fix encoding problem with Japanese

I work at a school that uses Excel for grades and must work with files that are made on Excel with a Windows machine. Each time I try to open a file with long lists of names in Japanese and corresponding scores from the student's test, the Excel on my Mac crashes.

I believe the problem has to do with how Excel 16 is encoding the Japanese characters from the Windows machine. I thought it might be a problem of fonts on my Mac but I have checked and all the fonts are in working order, with no problems in…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. I want to use dots as thousand separator in Excel charts labels

I want to use dots as thousand separator in Excel charts labels.
    I am not able, and understand other users experience the same problem:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/thousand-separator-changes-on-charts/703239f6-3323-4de3-8e6e-7f0f1143dcd5
    Jose Renato Mannis
    jrmannis@jrmannis.com
    +55 11 9 8279 9944

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Reinstall Developer tab in toolbar

I am running Excel 2016 on a MacBook. Today, the "Developer" option has disappeared from the toolbar. When I went to Excel>Preferences>Ribbon & Toolbar, I get the message that "This feature is only available if you haven an Office 365 Subscription" This is totally unacceptable. I paid for my licence and when I did so, I got access to the Developer tab. Suddenly, it has disappeared (Microsoft has removed it) and is now asking me to pay for it again!
    Please reinstate access to the Developer tab for licenced copies.
    Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. solver

Excel 16.23 for Mac no longer has a functional Solver. Trying to use it results in Alert:

Sorry, Excel can't open two workbooks with the same name at the same time.

Works on PC and lower versions. What to do?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. What is going on with this program?

This morning, as I was reading through the news on my Mac, Excel began to start itself randomly. I thought it might be time for an update, so I downloaded and install 2, but it still starts itself repeatedly. Quitting the program does not help, it just starts back up. The only way I can stop this is to minimize the window and park it in the Dock.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. high sierra

Chart editing issues. Seems to be the refresh of the chart is not working, so it looks like (for example) you have not selected or are not typing in the Chart Title, but when you scroll away and then back again the editing appears.

We are running Excel 16.6.6 on Mac OS High Sierra and getting the issue described in the attached video.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Fix an important hyperlink issue!

When I insert a new hyperlink to a file located on an external disc (HDD) in my Excel chart, everything works well. When I open again the chart after I've saved it, I have to give an additional authorisation to open each hyperlink I previously inserted in the chart. Besides, there is no way to deactivate the warning window that appears each time I try to open one of the hyperlinks (there isn't the "security centre" like in Excel for Windows).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. somme inscrite

entrer la somme

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. After installing update 16.20.0 (18120801), Excel crashes when opening ADRMS-protected documents

After installing the latest (as of Jan-2019) update 16.20.0 (18120801), Excel crashes when opening ADRMS-protected documents. Attached are the crash dump and two videos. First video shows a successful opening of a protected document and starting of the update installation. Second video continues when the update installation is finished, and then shows opening of the same document and Excel crashing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. I found a sintaxis mistake on funcion "buscarv", on my excel version for mac.

En mi version de excel, la sintaxis de la funcion buscarv en lugar de la opcion ordenado aparece la opcion rango,

aparece de esta forma

=BUSCARV(valor_buscado,matriz_tabla,indicador_columnas,{rango})

cuando deberia de ser asi

=BUSCARV(valor_buscado,matriz_tabla,indicador_columnas,{ordenado})

como se puede cambiar?, o que procede?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Que Excel 2018 for Mac abra bien los archivos xlsm de versiones anteriores

Excel 2016 for Mac tiene un error muy grave :

No abre archivos xlsm elaborados por versiones anteriores, favor de corregir... !!! lo he probado con todos mis archivos excel anteriores y en todos me manda un mensaje de ERROR, y Excel, al intentar repararlo le quita todas las macros que le hayas programado !!!

Qué es eso ??? POR FAVOR CORRIJAN ESE HORROR !!!!... El mensaje exacto es el siguiente:

Aviso:

Hemos encontrado un problema con contenido de ‘libro.xlsm'. ¿Desea que intentemos recuperar el máximo de contenido posible? Si confía en el origen de este libro, haga clic en…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base