Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add an If_NA optional sixth argument to XLOOKUP

The new XLOOKUP function introduced on August 28 2019 is awesome - exact match by default, the ability to return several columns at once, and search from bottom of data. But one thing would make it better - an optional sixth IfNA argument to provide an answer in case nothing is found.
    One of the benefits of XLOOKUP is to eliminate the need to nest MATCH inside of INDEX. If you are trying to reduce the number of functions this would be a low-impact way of eliminating nesting XLOOKUP inside of IFNA.
    For me, the main argument is that

109 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

17 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestions folks! We’ve added [if_not_found] as the 4th argument to XLOOKUP. The thinking is as follows:

It’s a reasonably common use case
    The ISNA XLOOKUP approach cannot distinguish a “not found” from a #N/A returned from a valid match.
    - Joe McDaid [Excel]

2. Bring back Edit Comments (Legacy) to the Right-Click Menu

The new Threaded Comments that appeared in Build 1809 are awesome for 99% of the people. But for the Commenting Gurus - anyone who has ever taken the time to build help systems by resizing, re-coloring, re-shaping and using Show All Comments, we are going to see our comments get destroyed by well-meaning co-workers.

Yes, all of the legacy icons are available for adding back to the Ribbon, but we the comment gurus can not trust our co-workers and managers to take the time to add these.

My request: If Excel detects any comment in the workbook that is a…

153 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

52 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have addressed the topic of this suggestion by bringing back the legacy comments as notes and included the edit comment action as “edit note” in the right click menu. Also, this topic has multiple suggestions, so if for any remaining suggestions which are not covered by the update to reintroduce legacy comment editing, please open a new suggestion. Thank you.

3. May 2017 update which keeps the copied item active in the clipboard

Regarding the issue of...It's part of the May 2017 update which keeps the copied item active in the clipboard even if you do things that would normally clear it, like typing in a cell, applying formatting, etc.

Pressing ESC will clear the marquee/dancing ants.

Why in the world would Microsoft and an extra step here. This is terrible. At least give us the option to turn off the function. Please change this back or give us the option. Very disappointed!

586 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

537 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Keep the Copy was designed to improve the experience of copying content to your clipboard based on customer requests. Copy and Paste functionality is different in Excel than most other applications because results from formulas can change and due to the large size of worksheets. Since making the improvements there has been mixed feedback about the changes that we made and it is not up to our quality standards. Effective today, Keep the Copy will be removed from Excel until we have improved the quality and design of this feature.

Thanks,
    Eric Patterson
    Excel Program Manager

4. Options for AutoSave

The AutoSave function is a great idea!!
    Just not in practice...
    In my business we re-use the same invoices made in excel for the same jobs, however save them as a new file each time in order to keep a record of the previous invoice.
    The new AutoSave feature is extremely dangerous in this regard.
    If I, or someone else, does not remember to turn off AutoSave, or save as a new file BEFORE making new changes, we LOSE our previous invoice.

Have options for AutoSave, the most important one being, DEFAULT OFF rather than default on.

151 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

61 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you all for your feedback regarding the new AutoSave functionality in Excel.

We’ve been working to better enable collaboration and AutoSave is a key component that. While it can take some getting used to, AutoSave helps users feel confident that their work is being saved. This is especially evident when working with other people, but it also helps when you’re working by yourself.

We understand that you may need to turn off AutoSave for some workflows, so we are excited to announce that it is now possible to turn off AutoSave for a particular file as well as to change whether AutoSave is or or not by default.

For instructions on how to do this please see here: https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/what-is-autosave-6d6bd723-ebfd-4e40-b5f6-ae6e8088f7a5#OfficeVersion=Windows

This functionality is currently available to O365 subscribers.

We hope you continue to leave feedback on Excel to help us improve.

Thanks,

Pallavi Hukerikar
    Excel Program Manager

5. Power Query - cache shared nodes

Update Power Query in Excel to take advantage of caching in cases where a parent node refers to a child node that has already been refreshed (as exists in Power BI desktop today).

This issue creates significant performance problems with refresh times when creating highly interdependent financial and operational models. This is a show stopper from a usability and customer acceptance standpoint.

1,976 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

309 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all,

We are happy to announce that the feature is finally available on Production starting from July fork (build 16.0.10726.*) for Office 365 subscribers.

Thank you all for your votes and the feedback.

- Excel Team

6. AutoSave Master Switch rather than an "I Told YOu So!" later

Microsoft has added a new feature to help users co-author files. Whether you are for or against this feature is not my point here: it needs Excel's AutoSave switched on to work. That's fine. But it shouldn't be the default. It is accepted that Office is trying to make various apps consistent, but Excel is used differently. What makes it the most popular software in the world is the ability to experiment without consequences.

Made a mistake? No fear, close without saving and re-open. Accidentally delete a sheet? Don't worry, close without saving and re-open. Replaced all formulae with =RAND()?…

353 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

70 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have been listening to your feedback and are updating AutoSave with the ability to turn AutoSave off if desired. There are three patterns in this feedback thread that we are addressing now. The first pattern is that you want AutoSave off because you make temporary edits or hypothetical edits that you don’t want to save (we call this what-if analysis). The second pattern is that you start a new file from an existing file after making some changes to the existing file (like a Template or Invoice). The third is that sometimes the “Last Modified” timestamps are changing even when no edits were made.

In response to the feedback about a desire for AutoSave to be off by default due to temporary or hypothetical edits (what-if), we have added some new functionality and options for AutoSave:
    1. You can turn AutoSave off for a specific file. While a document…

7. STOP turning the AutoSave back on when users turn it off!

STOP turning the AutoSave back on! AutoSave falsely represents users as updating the file AND creates unnecessary versions. Users turn it off and after Microsoft updates are pushed into the environment - it comes back on. Bad idea!

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Changes to AutoSave settings should not change on update. This issue was raised when the changes to AutoSave were made. This should no longer be a problem. If you experience further issues go to File > Feedback and send us more information.

8. removing sexist algorithms

Please can you allow "Mrs. and Mr." to be written in excel without excel autocorrecting to "Mrs. And Mr." because the traditional rules state that the man is first. I am writing letters to donors and I always put the donor in the first position and the associated donor in the second. Excel only auto capitalizes the "and" when it is in the Mrs. and Mr. position. This is a pain that it was written into the algorithm. And sexist. Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have good news to share. In the January 2019 release of Excel for both Mac and Windows, this issue has been resolved. Once you install the update, Excel will allow you to override any autocorrection simply by going back and typing over the correction. For example, if you type “Mrs. and Mr.” into cell A1, Excel will autocorrect it to “Mrs. And Mr.”. If you go back and type “and” again in the same place, Excel will not correct it again. It will still autocorrect “Mrs. And” if you type it into a different location, or if another autocorrection happens before you change “And” back to “and”. To summarize, Excel will no longer make the same autocorrection 2 times consecutively.

This fix is included in Excel for Mac if you have version 16.20 or greater, and Excel for Windows if you have version 16.0.11126 or greater.

9. Make Excel obey the "scroll inactive windows" setting in Windows 10

Make Excel obey the "scroll inactive windows" setting in Windows 10. Currently Excel will scroll when it is an inactive window, but it will not allow other windows to scroll when it is the active window. This makes transcribing data from a source that needs to be scrolled difficult.

97 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

76 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanx for creating and voting on this folks!

You should see this issue fixed starting with the latest Windows 10 Preview 17133.73 build update on 4/10 (https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/03/27/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17133-for-fast/) as well as latest Excel Monthly channel 1803 Build 9126.2152 update on 4/11 (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/mt465751.aspx).

Please let us know if you find this still not fixed with these builds (and later).

thanx,
    Prash [MSFT]

10. No more warnings about saving as CSV, especially when I didn't change anything

I don't know how many hundreds (thousands?) of times I've told Excel that, yes, I really truly do mean to save this file as a CSV. I recognize that not all users will understand that CSV doesn't do cool formulas or formatting, etc., but I do and I still want to do it. And I want to do it a lot. Please, give me a way to opt out of these useless warnings!

1,196 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

94 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2016-09-07

We’re done – you should no longer get a warning dialog about data loss when saving a file as CSV, as long as the file was originally opened as a CSV file.

Instead, we’ve added a non-intrusive business bar (that you can ignore if you choose) that let’s you quickly Save As the file if you have made changes that are not savable in CSV; if you ignore it and just Save, we’ll just save out the CSV values as you’d expect.

We actually rolled this out starting on August 13, 2016 with build 16.0.7167.2040 for O365 users. Later builds have this update as well of course.

Thanks for participating in UserVoice – we definitely value your input. You can now use whatever votes you’d allocated for this idea for other ideas.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

= started status 2016-06-15 =

Great news – we’re working on this…

11. make excel 2016 as stable as previous versions

Make Excel 2016 as stable as previous versions
    We run complex spreadsheets with conditional formatting and links between spreadsheets and macros to drive behavior - this is both inherently slow (on various different computers) and unstable - crashes almost daily
    Previous versions of Excel handled these same spreadsheets cleanly and easily !!!

104 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you all who voted! And we hear you loud and clear and we have been working hard at improving Excel 2016 stability on-going with every monthly release with our January monthly channel release at historically low levels based on our internal measures.

Moving forward, please send us feedback from within Excel, which includes actionable crash information we monitor regularly. Once Excel reboots from a crash please goto File → Feedback → Send a Frown, provide information on what Excel specific action you were doing when the crash occurred and press the “Submit” button.

thanx,
    Prash [MSFT]

12. Allow users to set/choose defaults (via settings) for PivotTables - Layout (compact, tabular, classic, etc.), PT Options, etc.

Excel 2007 introduced the new Compact Form and made it be the default for all future pivot tables. With this layout, multiple row fields are compressed into column 1 of the pivot table. This makes the data very difficult to later re-use.

My request is to add a setting in Excel Options where each person can choose their default pivot table layout. All future pivot tables will use Tabular, Outline, Compact, or Flat. (Flat is a new layout introduced by Power Pivot... it is Tabular with no Subtotals).

Additionally, the same settings area shouls allow the user to save other…

560 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

78 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Disable time grouping

The new automatic time grouping in PivotTables should be an option within Excel. Users should not need to make a registry edit to disable this feature, and the time grouping should not be on by default.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  77 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Unselecting cells when using Ctrl to select multiple cells

When using Ctrl to select multiple cells, we can't unselect a cell when it was misclicked. Instead, we have to click these cells all over again. Please allow us to unselect cells!

327 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Make Power Pivot available in all versions of Excel

Previous title: "Make the Power BI Family - PowerPIvot + PowerQuery + PowerView and PowerMap available in all versions of Excel".

533 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

257 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi folks,

We’re happy to report that Power Pivot is now in all current Windows editions of Excel, including Office 2019 (perpetual) and Office 365 (subscription).
    In older versions of Excel (Excel 2013, Excel 2016) only certain Windows editions (Pro Plus and higher) include Power Pivot.

Thanks for helping us to make this a reality!

Vai
    Excel Program Manager

16. Support saving CSV in UTF-8 encoding

Currently, if I create a CSV file with Excel, it can only be saved in ANSI format, turning all special characters to garbage. I would like to be able to save it in UTF-8.

I know I can save it in the "unicode text" format, but the problems with that are:
    1) It uses tabs instead of comma.
    2) The encoding is not UTF-8, making it alien to other applications.

249 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2016-11-01——————-

Great news here folks – we’ve completed our work on this feature and Excel will support a new CSV format using UTF-8 encoding.

This fix still needs to make it through our release pipeline, but you should see it as an option once you have a build equal to or later than 16.0.7466.2023.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

2016-06-28———————-
    Good news – we’ve started work on this.
    Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

older——————-
    Thanks for the suggestion Doron. As Dan mentioned in the comments, we’re watching this one. I’ve seen a number of other suggestions related to CSVs as well. We’ll keep our eyes open here and take a look at the highly voted things in this space. As always, keep the votes coming to help us do a good job prioritizing your favorite asks to the top.
    Cheers,
    John [MS XL]

17. Maintain copied data on the clipboard even if the "dancing ants" aren't shown around the copied range (Copy-paste clipboard persistence)

If I copy [ctrl-c] a cell, then type in another cell, then try pasting, no result. No paste. It would be nice if Excel would maintain the copied data on the clipboard even after the dancing ants no longer appeared, so that I could paste that data.

(2015-11-05 Dan [MS] - updated idea title and description to be clearer)

224 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

76 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Starting with the Excel release available in June, Excel “Keeps” your copy longer. You can Copy your cells, and before you paste, you can still do other tasks like typing or inserting cells.

Based on customer feedback, the dotted “Marquee” stay active for much longer so that you can type, add formatting or many other things before the paste operation. We also made both the “Insert” and “Insert Copied Cells” commands available after the copy operation. Now, if you are copying data to another worksheet, only to realize you need more room, you can insert a variable number of cells and then paste without having to re-copy the original range!

If you want the Marquee to disappear, you can use the ENTER key to perform the paste operation, or after the paste, you can press the ESC key to cancel the copy.

18. Add icons for font superscript and subscript so we can put them on the QAT

Word has direct access (with icons) on the ribbon for subscripting and superscripting characters, but Excel can do so only via the Home...Font menu item. Scientists and engineers need to use subscript and superscript characters when writing mathematical and chemical formulas. Please copy the subscript and superscript icons in Word, and make them available to the Customize QAT feature.

371 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

74 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Excel 2016 crashes with large sheets and filtering

When opening a large file and start filtering, work with that filter, use a second filter dn remove one of the filters Excel crashes

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

97 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all, the original issue reported in this thread was due to Win10 changes in Accessibility. The fixes for this have been released for Excel 2013, Excel 2016 and Office 365 subscribers in March.

For more information, this thread has the discussion: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-excel/excel-filtering-problemmatic-after-windows-10/f6f34982-d4e0-47b3-bd37-772fd51e0ff3.

thanks
    ash

Ashvini Sharma [MS]
    Excel

20. Enable collaboration with others editting in Excel desktop

In Word and PowerPoint you can collaborate from the desktop as well as online. In excel, whenever anyone opens the document on desktop others get locked out of editing and can only view. This is a problem for our organisation since occasionally remote team members need to edit the file on desktop but failure to close down the document properly (either accidentally or because the OS somehow did not release the file lock which has happened on Mac's) means the entire team is suddenly unable to work for extended periods until we track down the culprit.

287 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

91 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Collaborating in Excel has been available for current channel users, starting with version 1707 and version 1808 for Semi-Annual users

Note: This feature is only available if you have an Office 365 subscription

If you are an Office 365 subscriber, make sure you have the latest version of Office.

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base