Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. XLookup function

I'm office insider but still i don't have new XLookup function

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Office Scripts for Excel Desktop

Hi Excel-Team,
    on Ignite and on the Excel Tech Community blog, you have announced Office Scripts - including a macro recorder for Excel JS.
    That's really awesome and I am looking forward to the preview at the end of this year. However, Office Scripts will (is) currently only available for Excel on Web.
    I would like to suggest to add this feature to Excel Desktop too in the (near) future.
    This, as on one hand not all files are stored/used in the web and Excel for Web has less features than Excel for Desktop and on another hand, I guess,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. STOP_BOBBLING THE FUCKING_SCREEN UP AND DOWN WHEN SCROLLING IN EXCEL UNFUCK THAT BEFORE DEPLOYING NEW CRAPWARE FEATURES. FUCK_YOU_MICROSOF

STOPBOBBLING THE FUCKINGSCREEN UP AND DOWN WHEN SCROLLING IN EXCEL UNFUCK THAT BEFORE DEPLOYING NEW CRAPWARE FEATURES. FUCKYOUMICROSOFT.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Instead of adding new useless features, unfuck cut and paste function. ******* you microsoft.

Instead of adding new useless features, unfuck cut and paste function. ******* you microsoft.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Don't ever lose data when the application crashes

Went to save my data after a couple hours of work. Attempted to save. Excel died. No option to even recover data. So ****** off right now. Never, ever, ever, ever, nevvver, ever, never, never, lose data.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Default Note Size and Shortcut Keys for Resizing Note and Note Panel

The note shows up too small. I would like a much larger default note size. I see no way to set a default size.

Along the same lines, I would like to be able to resize the note with the keyboard. Resizing with the mouse is tricky and time consuming.

Somewhat related, I would like the option of not having the user's name at the start of the note. I do no share the workbook and putting my name at the start of each note takes up space or requires delection.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Negative coefficient for square : erreur in the excel formula

Hi,
    There is a problem in one excel formula. When you use a formula for a second order equation with a negative coefficient for the square term, excel applies the square to the cell value and the negative coefficient. The consequence is that the result is always positive and so result is wrong.
    Ex.
    =-A1^2, if A1=1,2,3 the result is 1,4,9 and not -1, -4, -9. Using parenthesis does not correct the bug =-(A1)^2 = 1, 4, 9. it is not the case if you do = 0-A1^2 (results, -1, -4,-9). Normally if you want include the negative coefficient in…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Protect Workbook-scoped names against edits when the workbook is protected

The Protect Workbook button in the Review tab is great for preventing the addition/deletion/renaming of sheets and the modification of Power Query queries. This protection should also apply to names (in the Name Manager) with the "Workbook" scope, similar to how names with a sheet scope cannot be edited when that sheet is protected.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Filling series for a cell containing "m³" leads to strange results

If you have a cell that contains "m³" (without quotes) and you use the fill handle to fill cells below or to the right, you will get "m132", "m133", etc. Similarly, if you fill cells above or to the left, you will get "m130", "m129", etc. "m³" acts as if its value is "m131", which is clearly incorrect behaviour.

There are probably many other examples where filling series acts weird. Please fix this. There are 2 acceptable solutions. One is to simply copy "m³" to the destination cells. The other is to treat the "³" like "3" and assume the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add 64-bit Unix time as a data type

Excel currently represents dates, times, and datetimes as double-precision floating-point numbers that store the number of days since a particular date. This has many problems:

• The user will encounter precision issues when they deal with times and datetimes. This issue only gets worse for datetimes over time as a greater number of the limited significant digits are required for storing the date, leaving fewer digits for the time. The precision issues require users to set up their equality tests with a tolerance in mind and generate their timestamps in a numerically stable way. This is too much detail for…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Start up Folder -be able to go into Explorer and click on the Folder Required other than having to type the full path - often told no

Under File Options for Default Start up can we have an option to go to Explorer and select the Folder we require.?
    At present one has to type in the full path name and is often told "cannot-invalid" etc.

At present mine now defaults to Personal.XLSB and I am unable to remove this

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Cast To Chromecast

With Google Chrome you are able to cast your screen to Chromecast (A google product) it would be amazing if you could do it in Microsoft word and more!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Enable Data Import from PDF Files

I will suggest that Excel product team adds From PDF files in the Get & Transform group of the Data tab. This will make life much easier to extract data stored in PDF for further analysis in Excel.

Thanks

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. PLEASE PLEASE Better Handling of Date/Time data in graphs

I have used Excel for 20+ years and STILL there is poor handling of time/date data in graphs. Can you make the axis options easier for users when using XY Scatter?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. PLEASE allow users to save a custom format in the Format Cells dialogue

I constantly need to use the format 'yyyy-mm-dd' and I have to type it in over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Please, please, please, please, for the love of all that is good in this world, make a way to save custom formatting so it can be reused.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Option to remove all the clutter from the title bar

The title bar is polluted by a lot of unnecessary clutter these days - a "quick access" toolbar, a strange search box that doesn't work, account log in, some weird share button...

For those of us who actively dislike this sort of thing, could we have an option to remove all this useless clutter from the title bar and return Excel (and all the Office programs) back to looking like ordinary Windows applications, with just the Excel icon, the name of the open document, and the standard minimize / maximize / close buttons?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Row light up

When we are entering maybe 50 independent marks of a student in a row, could we have that row light up while we are working on it..so that we do not accidently stray away from that row?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Shortcut to move cursor to Name Box

I currently avoid using the Name Box because I can only get there by using the mouse. If there was a shortcut to get there it would be a really quick, direct way to name ranges and navigate to ranges.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. online spreadsheet size limit

Dear the limit for one drive online spreadsheets is 5mb per spreadsheet.
    Is there any way to increase this limit?
    I have an 11mb spreadsheet and can't open in shared online edit mode due to microsoft limit

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow temporarily broken formulas

I have a long list of formulas, and want to nest every formula within another if statement. Using find and replace to replace the beginning and end of every formula (the parts that don't differ between each one), this should be very easy. However, excel won't let me change a single one because, when I try to replace the text, "the formula is missing an opening or closing parenthesis."

I can appreciate having error checking for formulas, but there should be SOME way to either bypass this error checking or turn it off! This is frustrating me to no end.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base