Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Equally colored semi-colon as parentheses when editing nested functions

If the semi-colons are equally colored as the parentheses when editing nested functions it become more readable during editing or debugging.

Other suggestions would be highlighting the function you are editing in the nest or show it in bold.

Please feel free to share your thoughts below if you have other suggestions regarding more readability of nested functions.

Cheers!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Linking Cells/worksheet/workbooks

If you input =A1 in Cell B1 excel returns the data only.

Id like to have the option to link the formatting too. Cell Colour, text colour, borders, comments...... chose one, some or all formats

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Sort Pivot Tables based on multiple columns

I want to be able to sort various values I have selected in my Pivot table in addition to the rows and columns.

For example, in a pivot table representing code coverage, I have class and function as my rows, for my values I have lines of code and the percentage of code touched. In order to see where I should best focus my efforts, I want to see the functions with the most lines of code and the least code coverage, so I want to sort first by LoC (descending) and then by coverage percentage (ascending).

This doesn't appear…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Option to RE-FREEZE PANEs at Current Cell Location

I'd like to be able to RE-FREEZE PANES at the current cell location instead of having to UNFREEZE PANES and then having to FREEZE PANES again.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. COUNTIFS / SUMIFS with OR - COUNTOR, SUMOR

Countifs or Sumifs function use all criteria as AND. Instead 2 more formula can be added such that all criteria are treated as OR. Suggested Names of Formula are
    COUNTOR, SUMOR

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. LEAVE THE F_UCKING NUMLOCK ACTIVE.

LEAVE THE F_UCKING NUMLOCK ACTIVE.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. leave the ******* NUMlock active

leave the ******* NUMlock active

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. make "recent files" screen an option when starting Excel, instead of start screen

have no use for the start screen. operate via recent files all the time. I can disable the start screen upon excel opening, but then i always end up with an unneeded blank document which stays open after i've opened the doc i need.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Want to be able to activate the office license to guest user

Want to be able to activate the office license to guest user. Like Azure AD member.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. "Ctrl+A" shortcut in the excel formula bar

Hi there!
    It would be a great help for my work if "Ctrl+A" shortcut was working in the excel formula bar.
    Thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. enable editing

When opening a file that's been downloaded editing is disabled, right so. However when hitting the enable editing button the entire window resizes slightly and also changes position. Can this be fixed so that behavior doesn't happen?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Shortcut for paste as values

90% of the time I want to past as values, so as to keep the formatting consistent in the location I am pasting. Rather than having to right click then select "paste as values" it would be good to have a shortcut to be able to do this instead.

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Excel processor Bug - 99% usage

There is a bug with the processor usage, which extends up to 99% in some special situations.
    Since the latest version of the semi-annual channel, there is a new bug, which is also in the latest version of monthly channel.
    When you are opening a new excel sheet and copy one or more cells then you can start playing a little "processor-game". On the bottom there is a slide control, when you push it to the verry left (over the table sheets) the processor usage will grow up to 99%, when pushing it back to the right, the usage decreases.…

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Python Script connector as Power BI

Using a Python script as data source (like power BI) so then the data analyst can connect directly to a data frame.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 'Automatic" IF before other functions

In order to produce the best-looking spread sheets, almost all my formulas start off with "=IF(Controlcell="","",do whatever).. This ensures that if there is no data in the Controlcell, then the target cell remains blank. Is it possible that a cell/column/row setting such as "cell(s) with numeric zero contents are left blank"? It won't make much difference to performance either way, but it sure will increase the convenience factor.

The attached file, which I created specially simply as an example for this submission, shows what I have to do: the top half is plain and the bottom half with all the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. HEY FUCKFACES- WHY DOES FIND NOT WORK TODAY? YOU GET A BUG UP YOUR *** AND DECIDE THAT YOUR USERS DON'T NEED TO FIND DATA?

HEY FUCKFACES- WHY DOES FIND NOT WORK TODAY? YOU GET A BUG UP YOUR *** AND DECIDE THAT YOUR USERS DON'T NEED TO FIND DATA?

******** MICROSOFT.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. HEY MICROSOFT YOU ******* PIECES OF ****-stop shifting the screen up and down when scrolling

HEY MICROSOFT YOU ******* PIECES OF ****-stop shifting the screen up and down when scrolling

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow brackets in filename or path

When a person's display name contains a bracket character (such as a departmental suffix) this bracket is included in the folder name of a OneDrive shared folder. When a recipient of that OneDrive shared folder attempts to modify an Excel spreadsheet and save it back to the shared folder, they will see an error that the file could not be saved due to invalid characters in the filename or path. If Excel could support the bracket character in the filename or path this would no longer be an issue. (An alternative solution would be to allow admins an option to…

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Create new table without any formatting

When you create new table by default some formating and table stiles are applied. You have option to click "clear" in design tab. That command clears all formatting; color, background color, etc. But it does not change column width back. New column width stays.

I would like "clear" option to change column with back to the width before table formatting was applied. New column with, when create table is applied, can mess up your file when you import data from outer sources or when you need column with to be persistent.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base