Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Mend a Custom cell format mm:ss Bug

If I choose the cell custom format hh:mm:ss and enter 0:27:31 the cell shows 00:27:31 - As Expected.
    If I choose the Cell custom format hh:mm and enter 16:54 the cell displays 16:54 - As Expected.
    HOWEVER
    If I choose the cell custom format mm:ss and enter 27:31 the cell shows 31:00 - Completely UNEXPECTED
    If I choose the cell custom format mm:ss and enter 27.31 the cell shows 26:24 - Even More unexpected.
    This HAS been replicated by MS Chat who advised I post it here.

I CAN use the hh:mm:ss option and have 00: extra in every field…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create a "Table" sheet type

Can we have a "Table" sheet type, similar to a chart sheet? It can only contain a single table with no cells outside the table, but could grow/shrink as required, and should have improved navigation / deletion / insertion capabilities

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Power Query Time Stamp of last updated Data

Hi All,

I import data using Power Query from multiple resources and Lots of time I have seen in Power Query that even though we click on Refresh All still not all tables refreshes the data in Power Query Editor.

So I am looking for feature of option in Power Query that shows last data import date. So that user easily know if all the resources have been updated or not or when it last refreshed ?

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Fill Color

Sometimes when reconciling spreadsheets i use multiple colors to keep changes, numbers, edits, separated. Every time i need to change the color of my "fill color" it is really frustrating to go to the fill icon, chose the drop down menu, find the exact color i was using just to have to do it all over again the next time i need the "other" color. It would be nice to be able to add multiple "fill color" icons to my tool ribbon that way i can just click the color i need quickly and go back and forth between colors…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Use menus like before

Please bring back menus. The new UI where all of the buttons are just plopped down is an absolute mess. The idea of Windows is that everything is nested in folders so that everything isn't just plopped. We don't need cutesy pictures and icons in lieu of methodical filing systems. Alternatively, maybe give us the option to choose power user mode or beginner / old person modes (I'm old so I can say that.) One place this horrible new UI suffers is with older tutorials: I literally can not go to Tools > Options. There is no Tools menu in…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow insert copied cells for whole rows in tables

Allow user to use the "Insert copied cells" in a table when they have selected an entire row. This is needed to quickly replicate rows in a table. The limitation seems inconsistent with the following:
    * Users can already "Insert cut cells", just not copied cells.
    * Users can insert a blank row, then copy another row over the blank row, which is functionally equivalent but two steps.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Numbering for tabs

Sometimes users need to create a workbook with multiple tas (i.e. 20 tabs). Most times users will simply rename the tabs. However, when discussing the workbook with others, it is not intuitive to direct a usersatotab X<YZ.>
    ILet's take an example of a sales workbook.
    f I have multiple tabs, I will label the tabs as:
    "1. National Sales"
    "2. Nast marketing summary"
    "3. West marketing summary"
    "4. Tales Offices RRevenue ankings"
    "5. PThree Year lanned Project Launches"

etc, etc,.....
    By adding a number to the tab label, I can tell users to just simply go to tab #3 wfor…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. HEY FUCKFACES- WHY CAN FILTERS NOT IDENTIFY NUMBERS THIS MORNING? ********.

HEY FUCKFACES- WHY CAN FILTERS NOT IDENTIFY NUMBERS THIS MORNING? ********.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Use ISO8601 when exporting dates to CSV files

When exporting to a CSV file, it would be best to export dates in ISO8601 format (or a specific date format if the user has set one). CSV is about making things machine readable and this avoids the ambiguity of American vs British date formats. I regularly deal with local councils and they will export a CSV file from Excel and then be very confused as to why the date format has changed when they've explicitly set it. If you can't preserve their chosen format, please default to ISO8601 to reduce headaches.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Bring back F3 = Find Next

Even in Windows F3 means "Search". Why in Excel and Word this useful key does not work anymore?

It looks like now it is Shift+F4. My fingers will get arthritis from pressing this combination all day.

Also I suppose to be able to change the hotkey but now the Keyboard Shortcut option in the "Customize Ribbon" has disappeared.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Double Click or F2 Cells in a Protected Workbook - see the cells used in a formula

Please allow users to double click a formula in a protected workbook to see which cells are pulled into the formula. I still want to know how the formula is working even though I can't change it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Setting row height from 0.21" (default) to 0.5" on Page Layout does not give the proper Excel Output

Custom Margin Settings for 2 Excel files were both set this way:

Top: 0.5
    Bottom: 0.5
    Left: 0.7
    Right: 0.7
    Header: 0
    Footer: 0
    *no other settings modified

First Excel File

View > Workbook Views > Page Layout
    Highlighted first 20 Rows > Home > Cells Section > Format > Row Height > Set Row Height from 0.21" to 0.50"
    Which results in row 21 showing up on the first page,

Second Excel File

View > Workbook Views > Page Layout
    Highlighted first 20 Rows > Home > Cells Section > Format > Row Height > Set Row Height from…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Text to columns more than one "other" delimiter

When using the Text to Columns feature, I would like the ability to add more than one "Other" delimiter. For example, if I have data formatted like this: [1.1, 3.4, 5.5], I would like to be able to specify the delimiters as '[', ']', ',' so that it would convert to three columns: 1.1 3.4 5.5. The current implementation only allows for one "Other" delimiter.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Convert DBX to PST via ZOOK DBX to PST Converter

User can easily convert DBX to PST file format using ZOOK DBX to PST Converter. This tool allows users to convert the multiple DBX formats with their respective attachments to an MS Outlook. It can maintain the all email properties of DBX file into PST after the conversion of files too. The email structure of file contains To, Cc, Bcc, From, sender, receiver, etc. all will remains same. It provides an accurate 100% result of conversion of DBX files into a PST.This application allows user to preview the valuable email data items and users are able to verify the content…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. add an easy way of counting unique values, DISTINCT

there is no function currently to Count distinct , there are work around and compounded formulas to write. but that is what they are, work around. add a simple DISTINCT as an option to the COUNT function.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add F4 toggle to "lock" structured refrences

Structured references are awesome. But making them relative/absolute is not! Let us use the F4 shortcut on structured references too.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Freezing Property for Graphs, Shapes, Linked Pictures/Objects

It will be good to have Freezing Option under Properties for Graphs, Shapes, Linked Pictures/Objects etc. where a user can have an option to lock the objects on screen... and the same should be appearing as constant even if the user scrolls to the left-right & up-down.

This will give End-user a dynamic webpage view/feel especially for huge excel dashboards with specific KPI - graphs and charts appearing on top or on either sides

Like: Don't Move or Size or Scroll with the Cells

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add Ctrl + [ shortcut to Danish excel.

This is a shortcut availible in excel in the US and it is very helpful. I would like it to be added to Danish excel.

Suppose you have a formula =Sheet2!A1+5 in A1 on Sheet1. If you press Ctrl + [ in Sheet1!A1, it will take you to Sheet2!A1.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Flexible string to date /time conversion functions

It would be nice to have a function that can accept a string value that represents a date and/or time and an Excel date/time format expression to return the date/time value i.e.
    todate(stringvalue, format expression)
    totime(stringvalue, format expression)

For example, consider the following string values for dates stored in cell A1
    20190913 : todate(A1, "yyyymmdd")
    19-09-13 : to
    date(A1, "yy-mm-dd")
    19-Sep-13 : to_date(A1, "yy-mmm-dd")

for time
    091500 : totime(A1, "hhmmss")
    9:15 : to
    time(A1, "h:mm")

for timestamp
    20190913091500 : to_date(A1, "yyyymmddhhmmss")

The existing datevalue() fucntion only recognize "standard" date formats and can make mistake…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Cell locking

In Excel it would be incredibly more convenient and helpful if we had the ability to lock individual cells, instead of being stuck locking nothing or the whole page. It makes it difficult to have vital information on a document that needs to be sent out, but that can be deleted or edited by others.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base