Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Find Named Ranges in the Name Box easier.

I have many workbooks, in which I use Named Ranges which do not list alphabetically, which makes finding names ranges in long list difficult to find. Please add an option to Sort, by Sheet and by A-Z

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. STOP TURNING OFF THE ******* NUMLOCK. ******* YOU MICROSOFT.

STOP TURNING OFF THE ******* NUMLOCK. ******* YOU MICROSOFT.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. How about a function to enable data to be swapped from one cell to another, eg if you want to move an item up a list to another cell and hav

A function to allow you to swap data from one to another, eg when constructing a list of priorities, if you have data in a cell that you want to move up a list to a cell that already has data in it then that data should have an option move to the cell that was just vacated. This would help when prioritising cell contents without the need for inserting cells, cutting & pasting and remembering what you have pasted over when cutting cells.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. an option to repeat headings at bottom and right of screen would also be useful for large spreadsheets

an option to repeat headings at bottom and right of screen would also be useful for large spreadsheets

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Unhide can be grayed out when there are no hidden columns / rows in selection

When there no columns are rows to unhide, the option can be grayed out?

Also, if possible, status bar can have an icon to indicate if there are hidden rows &/or columns.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Correct illogical limit of 255 characters for entering Matrix formulas using VBA

When you use Excel, you have a limit of 8192 for the lenght of a formula.

When you assign a matrix formula using VBA, it is restricted to 255.
    Even using macro recorder, it'll save the correct instruction, but then it'll be useless as VBA won't execute that instruction.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. When using a filter, a double click inverts the selection (deselects all except the one clicked on)

When using a filer and wanting to select a single value you need to first in-tick "(Select All)", then you select the item you want.

An improvement would be that with all values still ticked that a double click on the item you want de-selects all the other entries apart from that one.

Really simply, but how many times have you scrolled down the list looking for the item you want, then realized you need to scroll back up to untick "Select All" first and then scroll back down again.

Come on Microsoft, this sort of stuff is basics! :)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. New Template, Investment Tracker, Use in UK

This is a great idea. But I am in UK and entering my shares does not work.
    (XLON:RDSB) produces a field error.
    (XLON:AV.) produces a US$ price which is about 10 times the actual £ price.
    The template is just what I need; but as with many others I have looked at it is not easily adapted for UK use. This severely limits the value of their subscription for UK users of Office 365.

Can UK versions be supplied, please?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Need the ability to open multiple Excel files in a single instance (window) of Excel. It provides a much better experience when linking.

Allow multiple files to be open at one time again. This provides a better experience when linking among multiple files, as well as when you have to open, and look at, many files and would like them to be viewed one after the other, without having to configure each window every time, such as size, ribbon hidden, etc...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. A tool is needed for auditing Conditional Formatting formulae

Conditional formatting allows a formula as part of a rule, and that formula may refer to another cell in the workbook. If that other cell is deleted, then a #REF error creeps into the conditional formatting formula.
    Of course a properly constructed formula would allow for such circumstances, but there is no simple method to check the conditional formatting rules to validate them.
    It would be helpful to have a way to download the conditional formatting rules to allow the programmer to audit those rules.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Can we have a VLK license that works with click-to-run Office.

I ask that you look into having a VLK license that works with click-to-run Office. I am sure I am not the only organization that has a mix of computers that have Office 365 licensed users and some that require VLK licensed users.It is a lot of work to have two different copies of office, one installed on your user machines and one installed on your kiosk machines.There is no reason that the click-to-run product should not respond to a VLK key and then act as a VLK product. We have the click-to-run on our Golden image because most of…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Product Setup and Activation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow formulas to be formatted and editted like code in the formula dialog box

When writing complex formulas, it is very difficult to troubleshoot errors with in-line formats and although I can 'simulate' writing the formula like code in the formula dialog box, it is very cumbersome as it doesn't treat 'enter' as a next line and 'tab' as a tab. Also, when using this format in the current version, selecting a formula part and clicking on the fx doesn't show the values, only blanks. A sample is attached showing the format. Would it be possible to setup the formula dialog box to support a more coding IDE model?

=IFERROR(
    SUMIFS(
    tblBS[Avg],
    tblBS[Month],
    [@Month] …

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Filter Option - for 6 Months

In Filter, there are options for Last Week, Month, Quarter & Year. There could be following 2 options that can help user a lot:
    1) Last 6 Months
    2) First 6 Months (Current Year)

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. undo by cell

Have a way to undo the last thing that was done to a specific cell, without having to undo everything that has been done since that. I have a workaround, but it is a bit involved.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. add to the ribbon a nummeric up-down control

Not only to excel but to all of office
    implement getmin, getmax, getvalue

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Sync ribbon settings

I want to sync settings that is ribbon customize in my O365 account.
    Now I need export ribbon and import.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. bring back the bar on the right and bottom of spreadsheet to move thru out.

I use all ways to move thru my spreadsheets, but for accuracy I like the bar and using my curser up and down to the cell I need. STEPPING UP ON MY SOAPBOX NOW: I really tired of MS is trying to be Apple. You are MS and your programs created accuracy and easy for customer. Cool are for non-working people who have the time to hope it will work.....

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. A formula to calculate the direction of a vector from 0 to 360 degrees.

The formula is working for any value of x and y, is not using any trigonometric function and give the result with an accuracy of one billionth of the degree.

f(x , y)=180/pi()*(pi()/8*sign(x*y)*sign(y^2-x^2)+pi()/4*(4-2*sign(y)-sign

(x*y))-pi()/2*(1-sign(y^2))*(sign(x^2)+sign(x))-
    n=0
    sign(x*y)*Σ(-1)^n*((abs(x)*(sqrt(2)-1)^(x^2-y^2)-abs(y)/
    n=17
    (abs(x)+abs(y)*(sqrt(2)-1)^(x^2-y^2)))^(2n+1)/(2n+1))

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Bring dividend data for the Stocks data type

In addition to stock price data, bring dividend data for the stocks

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Filtering Needs to Work in Co-Authoring

Say that several people are editing the same workbook. If Tom filters to show only his records, then the other people will only see Tom's records. We need to be able to have each person apply a different filter and see only their records.
    Note that it is fine to require that the workbook can not have SUBTOTAL or AGGREGATE functions in order for independent filtering to work. If you allow these functions, then everyone will have different calculation results which would be problematic.
    It is more important to us to be able to have each person apply a local…

243 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base