Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Include Track Changes in Teams

As a engineering company we need to be able to track changes to a spreadsheet that is inside a teams tab.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Find number values, regardless of formatting

When you try to find values which have been formatted as financial and you try to find a value withouth the ",", it fails. This may also be a bug because in Find options, the 'Look In' selection has an impact as to whether this works propoerly.

When you Look In Values, the "," is needed, but when you Look In Formulas, it succeeds. This appears to be incorrect.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. vlookup case sensitive

very simple,VLOOKUPs are case insensitive, VLOOKUPS should be case sensitive. One use case are Salesforce reports. They produce 15 character Ids that require case sensitivity functionality in order lookup against.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. continuous scrolling

Continuous horizontal scrolling. Currently, horizontal scrolling automatically snaps to the next column which is incredibly inconvenient when trying to change the column width by dragging as I am unable to click and drag the edge of the column.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. When excel opens you should show PINNED files before showing RECENT files; what's the point of having pinned items? Am I missing something

Open excel showing PINNED files first. What's the point of showing RECENT files before showing PINNED files? that's totally inefficient and illogical. Or, am I missing some setting to fix that problem. If so where's the setting?

You have recent files all over the place, like Quick access etc.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. GET YOUR_FUCKING UPDATES AVAILABLE BANNER OUT OF MY FACE. FUCK_YOU_MICROSOFT

GET YOURFUCKING UPDATES AVAILABLE BANNER OUT OF MY FACE. FUCKYOU_MICROSOFT.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow lookup functions to spill in two dimension

Currently Vlookup, Xlookup, Lookup and Index function is able to produce a spilled array only across one dimension (i.e. row or column).

So, if I give a formula like =Vlookup(J4#,Table1,{2,3},0), it spills only across rows and does not spill across column. This limitation exists with every other function in the lookup family.

If these functions can be made to spill across both the dimensions, we can completely avoid copy pasting in MS Excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Disable the "SPILL!" error function completely

Disable the SPILL! error fucntion/code completely, it is garbage and wrongfully tags formulas with SPILL! Having to go in and change formula syntax to satisfy this random error is ridiculous.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Double-clicking the border of an empty column should reset it to default width

As it sounds: If the column is empty, the automatic sizing when you double-click should make it the default width instead of doing nothing.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add a Data Validation Manager GUI

Determining which ranges/cells have data validation rules applied and which disconnected ranges (i.e. sets of ranges that aren't adjacent on a sheet) are managed by the same rule is currently very lacking.

My request is the addition of a 'Data Validation Manager' analogous to the Name Manager or Conditional Formatting Manager.

Like the Name Manager, this would show you a table of all existing sets of data validation in the workbook, what ranges the validation rules apply to, and a summary of the condition. From here you should be able to drill into specific data validation rules to modify them.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow formulas in Worksheet names

Would it be possible that worksheet names are implemented like cells, meaning that you may enter a value (e.g. "Budget" or "Sales 2019") or a formula (e.g. ="Proposal of "&$B$11 displaying "Proposal of May 11 2019", because B11 contains 11-May-2019) ? in VBA, Worksheet.Name would be the value, Worksheet.NameFormula would be the formula.
    Thank you!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Power Query: Name new worksheet from "Load to…"

It should be possible to name the new worksheet from the "load to…" function in Power Query. Any table that is created inherits the name of the query that produced it, but the worksheet always receives a default "Sheet1". For my purposes, inheriting the query name would be sufficient. Others may wish to name it from within PQ.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Extend XLOOKUP and XMATCH to return nth matched item/position

INDEX, MATCH and other variants return the FIRST value that matches the given criterion. Extend the functions (especially the new XLOOKUP/XMATCH functions) so that the formulae return the nth matching item or position

Extend XLOOKUP and XMATCH to return nth matched item/position

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Dynamic Arrays, Spill range format

When a Spill range changes (eg due to the source data changing) it would be nice if any Formatting that is applied to the Spill Formula Cell is also applied to the entire Spill Range.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Immediately color-code cell references upon selection

When we edit a cell by double-clicking it or hitting F2, we get a very helpful color-coding of the cells it references. Why can't we just get this color-coding immediately upon selecting the cell? That way we could easily click or arrow-key through several cells and quickly see what they're referencing, rather than having to squint and find "Column G.... Row 11....., Column K .... Row 15....", etc.

See attached GIF animations demonstrating the current behavior versus what I'm proposing.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Simultaneously freeze column and row

I've seen this request back in 2017, but would like to revive it.

I'd like to be able to freeze or split the screen so a column AND row area are frozen simultaneously.
    Say if you currently freeze rows and columns above and to the left of D4. If you start scrolling down, also the content of Columns A-C will move. If you scroll to the right, the content of rows 1-3 will move.
    I'd like for only everything to the right and below D4 to move.
    Probably somebody will tell me to use pivots, but I think this is…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. "automatic except for data tables"

You should be able to save the Excel Options > Formulas > Calculation Options > Workbook Calculation setting permanently. No matter what workbook was opened first or last.

The problem is when you use data tables often (in my company's case they are in every spreadsheet for a specific department), across many different workbooks, it is annoying to have to constantly turn the setting to "Automatic Except for Data Tables" every time you open a file that didn't have this setting last. It slows the spreadsheet down considerably. I just want to turn it off and keep it off. No…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add a floating totals row to dynamic arrays

When using dynamic arrays, it would be nice to have the option of a floating totals row at the bottom of the dynamic spill range.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. remove empty rows and columns automatically

When importing data from other formats, say a pdf, the data is often formatted badly with lots of empty columns and rows between fields of useful data, these are usually minimised and get in the way of performing useful functions.I would like the ability to automatically remove any column or row within a highlighted data area, where the whole column or row contains no data. the sheet I am looking at currently goes up to column EY, but only has 12 columns of actual data. similarly it is 597 rows high and only should be around 100.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Opening the main Excel window in a default size and position specified by the user

We like to open the main Excel window in the same position on our desktop each time. The only way we can do this is to assure that the last closed window was in the desired location when closed. This is because new windows open in the same size and position as the last closed window.

The problem arises when you open multiple worksheets, which automatically arrange themselves or are moved by the user to other temporary locations. Closing any of these windows last sets a new undesired default for the next session of Excel.

Another problem is that t…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base