Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Watermark in Excel workbook

Idea of insertion/ removal of Watermark in the excel sheet like in word is likely for some creative work

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Grabbing

How about giving us space at the top of the window, where the title bar is, to grab and move the window without having to do something else or resize and then move! I would think this was a no-brainer, but you keep putting **** up there so there's no real estate to actually grab.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please check your spelling

In Excel 2010 (Design tab for Sparkline, Dropdown Axis, Vertical Axis Maximum Value Options, Custom Value...) "Enter the maximium value for the vertical axis". Please correct the spelling. It's "maximum" not "maximium". Thank you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Data types - Please add an option for hiding/unhiding the icon

Hi there,
    I would like to suggest to have an option, working on a workbook level, to hide/unhide the icons for cells having data types.
    When, for example, printing a report, there may be no need to print out the icons, as only the information is relevant.
    May be it would be possible to have a such option in the page layout tab, like for the gridlines?
    Best,
    Mourad

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Excel is wrong in calculating -x^2

If you type in for example =-6^2, Excel gives you 36. This is incorrect. Excel is assuming you mean =(-6)^2. But -6^2 is different.

You can see this when you factorise. -6^2 = (-6)*(+6) = -36.

Whereas (-6)^2 = (-6)*(-6)=36.

Now if you type in = 0-6^2, only then does it give you the correct answer of -36.

This error goes against millennia of algebraic convention.

Plot the graph y=-x^2-7x-12 and then plot y=-7x-x^2-12. These two expressions are identical, yet Excel gives very different traces (the latter of the two gives the correct graph).

Another way to correct -x^2 would…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. TRIM within IFS throws #VALUE error on strings longer than 255 chars

The use of the TRIM function within an IFS function throws a #VALUE error, if the string within TRIM is longer than 255 characters:
    e.g.:
    =IFS(TRUE;REPT("x";256))
    if you use 255 instead of 256, the function works fine. If you use REPT alone, there's no problem.
    Tested on German Excel version 1910 Build 12130.20390, monthly channel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. shyam

good

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. COLUMNA() returns the letter(s) where as COLUMN() returns a number

column() is great, as usually we want the column NUMBER

BUT when you want the column LETTER(s), something like

COLUMNA()

could return it.

I know you can use
    =SUBSTITUTE(ADDRESS(1,COLUMN(A1),4),"1","")
    but it's pretty long-winded...

to clarify
    =COLUMN(AB1) returns 28
    =COLUMNA(AB1) returns AB

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. STOP JIGGLING THE ******* SCREEN UP AND DOWN WHEN SCROLLING THROUGH YOUR FUCKING_SHIT_ASS _PRODUCT. FUCK_YOU_MICROSOFT.

STOP JIGGLING THE ******* SCREEN UP AND DOWN WHEN SCROLLING THROUGH YOUR FUCKINGSHITASS PRODUCT. FUCKYOU_MICROSOFT.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Power Query: Provide setting to eliminate the space in the name of each step

When Power Query creates a step it uses 2 words separated by a space (e.g. Added Custom). Within the advanced editor this requires a #" " be placed around the name of the step (e.g. #"Added Custom") which is challenging to read when you have so many steps.

Please provide a parameter setting in Power Query for "Create steps with no space". If selected by the user the steps would be created without the space (e.g. AddedCustom) and thus inside the advanced editor there is no need for he #" " wrapping and it becomes much easier to read).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Show Pinned not Recent on excel startup

Upon opening excel it use to show pinned files alphabetically with recent files below by date and time. Now the tabs are separate and when excel opens is displays recent not pinned, I have to click on pinned to get that list. Make a General Option to open to recent or pinned based on user preference.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. ½. Using fraction symbols in calculations.

When using the auto correct options for a fraction in the format "1/2" to become "½", these symbols are not respected as a value when calculating, resulting in #VALUE!.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow Currently Open Files to be Pinned

To pin a file, right clicking on the taskbar icon shows recently opened files. These can moved to the Pinned files section by moving to the recently used file, and selecting the pin icon.

However, a currently opened file cannot be pinned until the file has been closed. Why the extra step.

I would prefer to be able to pin any file that is recent or current. Since all current files will become recent files as soon as they are closed, I believe the category Recently Used Files should actually include Recently Used and Currently Opened Files.

If Currently Opened…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Exchange EDB to PST converter

If you are tired of searching Exchange EDB to PST converter which is best according to performance, then try SysInspire EDB to PST converter software. It allows the user to restore each and every bit of data easily without any doubt. It can convert EDB files into many different file formats such as PST, EML, EMLX, HTML, MBOX, and many others. Also, the PST file can be divided into many small PST files easily. All versions of MS Exchange server and Outlook are supported by this tool.

Explore more here about- https://www.sysinspire.com/edb-to-pst-converter/

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Option to auto wrap pivot table headers

Most of my pivot tables end up having wrap text applied to the header rows to avoid them being too wide. This would be a useful option to set in the default pivot table layout or the table element formatting.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Need to Merge Two Cells

Need to merge 2 Cells

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. STOP TURNING OFF THE ******* NUMLOCK. ******* YOU MICROSOFT.

STOP TURNING OFF THE NUMLOCK. YOU MICROSOFT.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. When I type a

When I type a date, I would like it to take the format I type in, instead of auto changing to a format that I do not want, and having to go through all the hoops to change it back. If I type 4/15/19, that is what I want, if I type April 15, 2019, that is what I want, yet both default to auto correct to 15-APR-2019

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. A more efficient way to sum column

Hi there guys,

Let's say I have a simple column with numerical values (check figure A attached).

If I look at the right bottom corner of the Excel window, I'll get a quick summary of the data (average, count, sum).

Oftentimes, I'll need to use this sum elsewhere (sometimes beyond Excel). Thus, I've always wondered why there is no shortcut to simply copy the sum to clipboard.

I understand that I can use something like Autosum to calculate it quickly but I feel this would be an even faster and more efficient way. And that's sort of the point of…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. start using C# as the macro language instead of visual basic

well, visual basic great language loves it but Microsoft seems to have abandoned the language. C# is clearly the new emphasis so, therefore, start the move to make C# the default language for the office products. plus there is an opportunity to increase the performance and features of the macro language. allowing for the creation of exportable modules and even binary macros that run faster or can be more easily exported to different machine

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base