Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Date-Time Format

Would like a simple method to format cells to display both Date & Time.
    Currently a date format and time format, but no date-time format, such as yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.
    I waste so much time with custom formats since I more often that not am interested in date and time.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. when calculating the amount of days difference between specific dates, give the user an option to decide what it shows if it is a negative i

Using Today and another date, in my case a fee renewal date, to get the number of days between the dates, if it is a negative, allow the user the option of what to show instead of #NUM!, in my case I would use either Current or Renew not yet due.

My spreadsheet, using the If then function, shows Current if less then 30 days but if -ve shows #NUM!. It also shows Arrears - 30 days, arrears 60 days arrears 90 days and if a year past then it is Lapsed. This all works great except for when they…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Worksheet Folders for Consolidation

A folder option to consolidate worksheets into individual folders across the bottom. This would allow daily/weekly/monthly tracking to be consolidated into one location without having to constantly go back and forth between worksheets. For instance, if you finish out your daily spreadsheets for August, you consolidate all of those into one folder instead of having to hide or scroll.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Afficher nom de fichier, d'onglet, nombre et numéro de page tels qu'édités dans les hauts et bas de page

Afficher et imprimer noms de fichier, d'onglet, date, nombre et numéro de page tels qu'édités sur versions Windows/Mac dans les hauts et bas de page

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. PowerQuery should recognise international (Unicode) web addresses

This website uses an accented character:
    https://www.kalóriaguru.hu
    I can use the old Get Data from Web Legacy Wizard providing I add the Magyar language pack to Windows . Powerquery returns "Bad request" unless I translate the address to Punycode
    xn--kalriaguru-ibb.hu
    Allow the end-user to enter their web site address as they know it without having to translate it into American. Sure, doing it in code is no problem, and I'd use VBA, but this is for users who don't know code.
    Technet link:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0d3e2608-0f2f-4735-95a4-b03d60e16e35/excel-365-powerquery-error-400-bad-request

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. your new search bar needs to be able to find functions as I type. I type in "vloo" it doesn't add vlookup to the list of items listed

The new search box at the top is really great; however, it doesn't anticipate what I want as I type very well. When I type "vloo" I would think vlookup would be an option below, but I have to type the whole function "vlookup" before it shows up.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Introduce a feature which enables recovery of deleted content even after saving, so that deleted content can be recovered

it will help recovering deleted content as sometimes we delete some content temporarily but we don't get it back, so to resolve it you must introduce this feature

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add Center Across Selection to the Merge & Center Drop-down

Do you hate Merged Cells? Do you believe Merged Cells are evil? Do you curse every time your selection rectangle goes from one column to five columns just because you touched a merged cell? Do you constantly get workbooks from co-workers who continue to merge cells? Tired of not being able to Sort or Paste because someone merged a cell?

Excel encourages people to use Merge & Center by offering it front-and-center on the Home tab. Thus, few people discover the (superior) Center Across Selection option on the Alignment tab of the Format Cells dialog.

Currently, the Merge & Center…

490 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

76 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. stop trying to guess what ******* formula I am using in new cells. You don't know what formula I want next. STAY THE **** OUT OF MY WAY.

stop trying to guess what ******* formula I am using in new cells. You don't know what formula I want next. STAY THE **** OUT OF MY WAY.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Without Question, the #1 Problem in Excel is deleting unused rows at the bottom

Just allow us to bring up a window and select the row number to start deleting all the way to the bottom. When you copy to columns, 1.04 million rows get created. And it literally takes HOURS at the fastest scrolling (25% view) to get rid of these. Look in the searches lots and lots of people complain about this.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add Continent/Region Fields To Geography Data Type

I would like to see two additional properties that would be very useful in grouping a large list of countries while using the Geography Data Type: Continent and Region (EMEA, APAC, AMER)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Zoom tool for graphs

Excel is great for quickly plotting and looking at data. But it falls short when the user wants to view a specific region in a graph or chart. The only way I know how to do this is to change the axes to 'force' zoom-in on a region, which is very clunky and slow. It would greatly improve the users ability to look at specific regions of the data quickly if there was a zoom in/out tool (similar to MATLAB's implementation) in the side toolbar that appears when hovering over the chart. Additionally, having a hand tool that, when zoomed…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow grouping of tabs in Excel

Have an option in Excel to allow for grouping of tabs into sub-groups, and have them stack behind the main tab. clicking on the main would allow you to expand or collapse it's sub tabs. You could also promote a sub tab to main.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Have excel highlight a column that has an active filter. Just turn the heading yellow or something that you can easily find

At least make it optional. There is nothing more aggravating than losing what column you have a filter on in a huge sheet and searching for it. Highlight it yellow, or allow the user to select a color.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Evaluate Formula Readability

There needs to be a huge update regarding the Evaluate Formula.
    I'm sure those using this feature are not trying to see simple calculations done.

For me, I might create a report that has a cell calculate multiple IFs within IFs that have embedded functions.

with this in mind, it would be a huge advantage to the user if the Evaluate Formula has the following upgrades:

1. able to expand the window.
    the window currently is too small and only allows to view simple calculations.

2. color code what is being calculated.
    with everything being the same color it is…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Ordinal Position Function

A function which returns ordinal position of one specific element in an array as a number. Alternative name occurrence.

So for example if the array was like this
    A1 Dave
    A2 Fred
    A3 Jim
    A4 Dave

Then Ordinal(A1:A4,A1) would return 1 eg the 1st Occurence of Dave
    Ordinal(A1:A4,A2) would return 1 eg the 1st Occurrence of Fred
    Ordinal(A1:A4,A3) would return 1 eg the 1st Occurence of Jim
    Ordinal(A1:A4,A4) would return 2 eg the 2nd Occurrence of Dave

Function Format something like
    Ordinal(lookup array, lookup cell, optional reverse)
    Lookup array could be vertical with a width of 1 column or horizontal…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow the use Structured References in Textbox

Enable Excel to link Text Boxes (Textboxes) to table values using Structured Table References.
    Currently, linking the textbox to a defined name that contains a structured table reference results in a "Reference isn't valid" message.

Attempting to link the textbox directly to a structured reference results in an error stating "This formula is missing a range reference or a defined name"

To reproduce this behavior:
    Set up RangeName: PC01_ID
    RangeName Formula: =Table_Progress_Chart_01[[#Totals],[Slice 2]]

Try linking a text box to: =PC01_ID

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Make it possible to insert pictures behind cells.

Make it possible to insert pictures behind cells.
    Currntly its only possible if you set a background. But this implicates to have the background behind the complete sheet.
    Many Users want to have the feature to paste a picture in a sheet, format the size a.s.o. and have the ability to set it to the background.

Currently if you set such a picture to the background its just related to other pictures but not behind cells. It would be great to have the ability to set it behind cells so that content within the cells is shown above the picture.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Sort Pivot Tables based on multiple columns

I want to be able to sort various values I have selected in my Pivot table in addition to the rows and columns.

For example, in a pivot table representing code coverage, I have class and function as my rows, for my values I have lines of code and the percentage of code touched. In order to see where I should best focus my efforts, I want to see the functions with the most lines of code and the least code coverage, so I want to sort first by LoC (descending) and then by coverage percentage (ascending).

This doesn't appear…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Find invalid data

There is an option to Circle Invalid Data in Data Validation, but no easy way to find the invalid data if, say, you have thousands of data entries, possibly in multiple columns, but only a handful of invalid entries.

You can find all cells with data validation, but not just those cells with invalid data. (It can be done with VBA but it would be better if Excel had this functionality.)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base