Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Insert data from picture should be implemented on desktop, and it should read PDF's

Surely you must be aware that this is easily in the top five annoying requests that competent excel users receive from.. other excel users. Why would you not implement this feature to read tables from PDF's in excel proper?!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. conditional formats

i am having an issue with conditional formatting now that i have offices 365. As a simple example format cell A1 fill red.
    Now add conditional formatting to cell A1.. =NOT(ISBLANK(B1)) with format fill no color.
    Enter any value into B1 and cell A1 fill turns to no color as expected.
    Now scroll down so A1 is off screen, then scroll back to A1, and A1 has reverted to red fill again for me.
    It remains red until I force a change by re-entering a value into B1.
    Please tell me if this is behaviour that everyone experiences??
    Please tell…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. GODDMAMN YOU MICROSOFT. TODAY YOU CHANGED THE COPY AND PASTE IN EXCEL AGIAN. STILL *********. NOW IT NO LONGER RETAINS WHAT WAS COPIED.

GODDMAMN YOU MICROSOFT. TODAY YOU CHANGED THE COPY AND PASTE IN EXCEL AGIAN. STILL *********. NOW IT NO LONGER RETAINS WHAT WAS COPIED.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Excel processor Bug - 99% usage

There is a bug with the processor usage, which extends up to 99% in some special situations.
    Since the latest version of the semi-annual channel, there is a new bug, which is also in the latest version of monthly channel.
    When you are opening a new excel sheet and copy one or more cells then you can start playing a little "processor-game". On the bottom there is a slide control, when you push it to the verry left (over the table sheets) the processor usage will grow up to 99%, when pushing it back to the right, the usage decreases.…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Excel/Outlook Hyperlink

Is it possible to create a hyperlink in Excel which, when clicked, opens up a new email in Outlook with a default message already typed up? I know you can have a create a hyperlink which opens a new email with just the email address and subject listed, but I was hoping to have an message populate with Outlook when the hyperlink in Excel is clicked. Thanks!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Merge cells optically, but not functionally.

Merging cells has the drawback, that it cuts the functionality of the excel file.
    So why not implementing a functionality, that merges cells ONLY OPTICALLY, so that the cells still keep their value and thus the full functionality, but that excel recognizes, when cells in rows that are directly located under the each other, contain the same values and thus just merges the cells optically, but does not merge the values, so that the user sees the merged cells on his monitor, and is able to print the table with merged cells, but still can e.g. sort the rows in…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. CSV saving from Excel with commas not semicolons

When I save my file using the "CSV UTF-8 comma delimited" my file does not save using commas.
    When I upload it to PowerBI, it is recognized only when I switch the type of input file from commas to semicolons.
    It seems to be happening with my non English version of Excel (I use the French one), but my colleague in Ireland using the English version has no problem with this, and can save the file using commas and it will indeed use commas.
    Would be nice to look into it to fix it :)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Hi Their

I use Microsoft Office 365 and for windows 10 x64 which is lasted update from my company side. so the most of problem when I use Microsoft excel in my laptop is that once I open excel file for edit my information and use touchpad or mouse to score task bar in excel file, the application will be hang state.

the work around from my side must be close the application and re-open it again and then use the cursor arrow key board to move pointer instead.

so on this problem, that is not comfortable to use Microsoft for me

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. SUM COLOR SPECIFIC CELL

SUM COLOR SPECIFIC CELL AT ANY TABLE AND SELECT ANY COLOR DO YOU WANT SUM IT OR COUNT IT MERGE SPECIFIC COLOR I WANT AND MAKE IT WITH ADDINS BUT WE WANT IT FX

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Save as option when right click on the sheet tab

I want to be able to save a single sheet(or just selected sheets) to a new file - if I have many sheets I need to delete the ones I do not need after saving to a new file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Content Pane Remove Size Limit, Add Positioning, Resizing

There is a limitation to the width and height of a Content Pane at 1000 x 1000px. This limit is imposed when resizing via mouse in Excel Desktop and the JavaScript API. This (via mouse) is not true in Excel Online (or in PowerPoint) where the size can be set and saved to any size via mouse.

It would make the Content Pane consistent and open up a huge number of innovation opportunities to remove the current 1000 x 1000px limitation in the JavaScript API and Desktop Content Panes in Excel.

The ability to position and resize the Content Pane…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Better Support for Analysis Services Tabular

It's about time to improve support for SSAS Tabular:
    1. Auto-generate DAX
    2. Avoid splitting a table into a "measure group" and "dimension". See how PBI Desktop handles metadata.
    3. Carry over data types so that users can create reports, such as show me invoices where Due Date is greater than ... Currently, all dimension table fields map to Text.
    4. Many customers have expressed interest to connect Excel tables directly to Tabular, bypassing Pivot Table, so they can use the column dropdowns and other Excel goodness.
    5. Support descriptions as tooltips when the user hovers on a field in…

63 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. I need to open documents that have numbers starting with zeros without Excel dropping the zeros

open documents that have numbers starting with zeros without Excel dropping the zeros

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Like copy down (control+d), I would like to see a copy up (control+u)

Like copy down (control+d) to copy cell immediately above, I would like to see a copy up (control+u) to copy cell immediately below

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. MS Office 365 ProPlus, Excel / Access date recognition bug

MS Office 365 ProPlus, Excel Version 1808, Build 10730.20280

What I did:
    1. Copy column B to C
    2. Replace "2018" with "2019" in column C

What is the result:
    - German month names are recognized
    - English month names only recognized for Apr, Aug, Sep, Nov

What I would expect:
    - English month names are recognized as well

Same result within MS Access

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Name a dynamic array (rather than use "A1#" notation)

The new dynamic array notation is incredibly powerful, but one thing that makes formulas complicated is the "A1#" notation when used in formulas.

It would be great if you could (easily) assign a name to it in the same way that you can name an Excel table.

It would be much easier to see:

=SUMIFS(TABLE1[totals],TABLE1[dept],departments)

than

=SUMIFS(TABLE1[totals],TABLE1[dept],B1#)

I am able to define a named range for these values, but that is a bit clunky. It would be great if the naming was exactly the same as Table naming (e.g. in an ARRAY context menu like the TABLE context menu).

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Find Named Ranges in the Name Box easier.

I have many workbooks, in which I use Named Ranges which do not list alphabetically, which makes finding names ranges in long list difficult to find. Please add an option to Sort, by Sheet and by A-Z

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. STOP TURNING OFF THE ******* NUMLOCK. ******* YOU MICROSOFT.

STOP TURNING OFF THE ******* NUMLOCK. ******* YOU MICROSOFT.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. How about a function to enable data to be swapped from one cell to another, eg if you want to move an item up a list to another cell and hav

A function to allow you to swap data from one to another, eg when constructing a list of priorities, if you have data in a cell that you want to move up a list to a cell that already has data in it then that data should have an option move to the cell that was just vacated. This would help when prioritising cell contents without the need for inserting cells, cutting & pasting and remembering what you have pasted over when cutting cells.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. an option to repeat headings at bottom and right of screen would also be useful for large spreadsheets

an option to repeat headings at bottom and right of screen would also be useful for large spreadsheets

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base