Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Implement the Stock Data feature from Excel 365 into Excel 2019 for Desktops

Basic stock information retrieval is a badly needed feature that should have been added to Excel years ago. A built-in feature would be preferable to hand-crafted solutions created by users or developers with varying skill levels.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Freezing Property for Graphs, Shapes, Linked Pictures/Objects

It will be good to have Freezing Option under Properties for Graphs, Shapes, Linked Pictures/Objects etc. where a user can have an option to lock the objects on screen... and the same should be appearing as constant even if the user scrolls to the left-right & up-down.

This will give End-user a dynamic webpage view/feel especially for huge excel dashboards with specific KPI - graphs and charts appearing on top or on either sides

Like: Don't Move or Size or Scroll with the Cells

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. VBA: color of current module

I can hardly see on which module I'm working at any given time. The selected module uses a light gray color. A night green or yellow will help a lot.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Give users the ability to put the color back in all the Toolbar icons. The October 2018 white/blue icons are impossible to decipher.

Give users the ability to put the color back in all the Toolbar icons. The October 2018 white/blue icons are impossible to decipher. Huge step backwards.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Let people actually enter data (hint: NOT EVERYTHING IS ALWAYS A DATE)

Sometimes I enter text. Sometimes I enter fractions (funny huh, in a data entry application). They ARENT DATES! Thanks for destroying the actual data in the process of converting it. Also no matter how many buttons I mash it "detects" the date every time unless I manually enter every field with a ' before it. Here's an idea. DO WHAT I ACTUALLY ENTERED. Not what you think an idiot might be TRYING TO DO. The actual commands I entered. Do it. For once.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. peek at a tab

Show a preview of the last area viewed on a tab when you hover a the cursor over a tab. It would make it really easy to peek at other tabs and read / view relevant information when working on another tab,

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. A tick function instead of having to change to symbols or wingdings

A tick function instead of having to change to symbols or wingdings

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Power Query Active Directory Feature

Hi All,

I tried to use Active directory feature of Power Query but still not able to find any solution in any forum to speed up the downloading data.

I have more than ~300,000 records to import (i.e. Distribution list contains each member list) from Active directory but it takes 12-~14 hrs to import using Power Query.

Can we look into this feature why there is so much time taken by Power Query and How we optimize the same ?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add 'Open as read-only' back to the context menu of Excel files

Old versions of Excel had this option and I liked it. If I need to look at a file without modifying it, I want to be able to directly open it as read-only.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Spell out Number with Currency

Can excel have an add-in that spell-out number from figure and selection of currency name like sample
    123 - One Hundred Twenty Three
    $123 - One Hundred Twenty Three Dollar
    $123.01 - One Hundred Twenty Three Dollar and 1/100
    P32.09 - Thrirty Two Pesos and 9/100

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Make the Evaluate Formula dialog box re-sizable

The evaluate formula box is unusable with large and/or CSE formulas. Please just make it re-sizeable. Thank you.

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Like copy down (control+d), I would like to see a copy up (control+u)

Like copy down (control+d) to copy cell immediately above, I would like to see a copy up (control+u) to copy cell immediately below

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add a "literal" format

Many times excel interprets a value in a way I don't want it too. But using "Text" does not prevent it from being converted to, say, scientific notation. What we need is a format that will keep the value exactly as it is internally, with no interpretation whatsoever.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Formula for checking validation compliance

It'd be great to have a formula (no vba) to check that the value in a cell complies with that cell's validation rules.

Since validation can be bypassed with things like paste-to-value, it'd be useful to have a formulaic way to check on entries after they're entered.

This is also useful for validation with conditional lists. (For example when the validation list switches depending on the value of another cell.) What can happen here is that the validation list can change but there's no way to alert the user that the value in the cell, while compliant with the previous…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. KEEP UNFOCUSED WORKBOOK ACTIVE CELLS HIGHLIGHTED

OPTION TO KEEP ACTIVE CELLS HIGHLIGHTED WHEN UNFOCUSED AND IN ANOTHER APPLICATION

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Date-Time Format

Would like a simple method to format cells to display both Date & Time.
    Currently a date format and time format, but no date-time format, such as yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.
    I waste so much time with custom formats since I more often that not am interested in date and time.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. when calculating the amount of days difference between specific dates, give the user an option to decide what it shows if it is a negative i

Using Today and another date, in my case a fee renewal date, to get the number of days between the dates, if it is a negative, allow the user the option of what to show instead of #NUM!, in my case I would use either Current or Renew not yet due.

My spreadsheet, using the If then function, shows Current if less then 30 days but if -ve shows #NUM!. It also shows Arrears - 30 days, arrears 60 days arrears 90 days and if a year past then it is Lapsed. This all works great except for when they…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Afficher nom de fichier, d'onglet, nombre et numéro de page tels qu'édités dans les hauts et bas de page

Afficher et imprimer noms de fichier, d'onglet, date, nombre et numéro de page tels qu'édités sur versions Windows/Mac dans les hauts et bas de page

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. PowerQuery should recognise international (Unicode) web addresses

This website uses an accented character:
    https://www.kalóriaguru.hu
    I can use the old Get Data from Web Legacy Wizard providing I add the Magyar language pack to Windows . Powerquery returns "Bad request" unless I translate the address to Punycode
    xn--kalriaguru-ibb.hu
    Allow the end-user to enter their web site address as they know it without having to translate it into American. Sure, doing it in code is no problem, and I'd use VBA, but this is for users who don't know code.
    Technet link:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0d3e2608-0f2f-4735-95a4-b03d60e16e35/excel-365-powerquery-error-400-bad-request

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Introduce a feature which enables recovery of deleted content even after saving, so that deleted content can be recovered

it will help recovering deleted content as sometimes we delete some content temporarily but we don't get it back, so to resolve it you must introduce this feature

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base