Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Seperate "Enable fill handle and cell drag-and-drop" & "double-click on cell border" features

Currently, the "Enable fill handle and cell drag-and-drop" feature and the double-click on cell border feature are tethered together.
    I would like to disable one feature, but keep the other feature enabled.

I would like to have to "Fill handle and cell drop-and-drop" feature enabled, but disable the double-click on cell border feature, as this often causes me to unintentionally jump across the spreadsheet which can be quite frustrating.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. "Excel found a problem with one or more formula references" - Please tell me where!

One of my least favorite messages that Excel provides is:

"Excel found a problem with one or more formula references in this worksheet. Check that the cell references, range names, defined names, and links to other workbooks in your formulas are all correct."

But I can never find the bad references. It's usually buried somewhere very deep, in a chart series formula, or in a name definition, or who knows where else.

If Excel finds a problem, please Excel, tell us where it is.

290 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Change the Excel formula bar to the one from Power BI Desktop

Change the formula bar for advanced users as well as for beginners. better reading of functions makes work easier for everyone.
    Indent the code, view the line (s) where there is an error, quickly see the syntax of a function and a bar that adapts depending on the length of the code that is entered.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. The user name should be removed from Office apps title bar for security reasons

Say you work while traveling on a train. Someone wants to know who you are for whatever reasons. If your name is in the title bar of an application or the user name on the logon screen, giving away your credentials that easily... User credentials should not be disclosed in title bar of office applications and there is really NO sensible reason to show them on the title bar. Fancy true, safe nope. Remove it.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Get rid of cross workbook history

If I have two workbooks open but a single workbook focused, don't share the change history between the workbooks. I don't want to undo the workbook I don't have focused. Why would this ever be an expected behavior when change history is usually tied to the desktop window and not to some shared process in the background?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 100% best to unlocking 7z password recovery

100% best to unlocking 7z password with the valuable tool PassFixer 7z Password Recovery software. open 7z file password-protected file from any length or language of the password. The software supports all 7z file versions and Windows OS. User can also go with 30 days money back guaranty when they not satisfied with the software performance. The most outstanding program can work well with smart recovery techniques that can fully be protected from viruses.

Read More:- https://www.passfixer.com/7z-password-recovery.html

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. New version of the VBA Editor

Excel is subject to so many great updates with new features, but it seems, that the VBE remained the same since first introduced. Can you please upgrade the VBE to a state of the art editor similar to Visual Studio or other programming editors? Excel Makros are a great feature, used in so many workbooks, but the editor looks and feels like from the 90ies;)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Create a non-printing line character

Create a character that can be used to identify (in Column A) if Excel should output a line for printing or suppress it. For example in the days of Lotus 123 a double vertical line was used.to suppress a line from printing "||".

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Improve Meiryo UI font

If you are using Excel for Windows 10 version 2004 and try to write in the vertical texts with Meiryo UI, some characters are not becoming vertical writing. For example, “-” should be “|” vertically, but it actually won’t be vertical text.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. STOP AUTOMATIC MOVING DOWN WHEN ENTERING

EVERY TIME THERE IS A NEW VERSION OF EXCEL PUT ON MY COMPUTER - AT HOME AND WORK - THE CURSOR AUTOMATICALLY MOVES DOWN WHEN I HIT ENTER. LET PEOPLE CHOSE THAT IF THEY WANT TO. BUT LEAVE ME OUT OF IT!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add the ability to paste pictures directly into a cell

It would be very helpful to have the ability to paste an image directly into a cell in an Excel file. And then within that cell you can still resize the image so that your row/column isn't a crazy size. That way when rows or columns are grouped together & collapsed then the image would also collapse with the designated cell.

I work for an interior design firm and my company uses Excel for all of our Furniture, lighting, Art & accessory procurement. We need to include images in these documents to send to clients, trades and for installs. When…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Being able to merge rows only or columns only within a selection.

On selecting a set of cells (multiple rows and columns), having the ability to merge all of the cells in each row or each column would be useful.

I have to do this when setting up table headings. Where the headings may have a master and sub heading for some columns, the rest I have to select and merge cells in all of the other columns one column after another to get this affect, so that centering in height or width then looks better,

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Buttons without VBA

I Can't see a reason not to add a button feature. Of course, its applications would be more limited than those VBA allows for, but would still unlock some interesting options for worksheets without the added complexity and safety concerns macros carry around. For this particular application, I don't think about buttons like separate entities, but as interactive cells.

Option A: Add binary data validation with an optional button interface. It would be functionally similar to the drop down menu, but only allowing to change the value from TRUE to FALSE and vice-versa on click. Limited on cell values, but…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Separate Excel windows shall not share an UNDO buffer.

Sorry Microsoft, but you really blew it in the 2016 update. Separate Excel windows used to be separate Excel windows. Now they share the same buffers for Undo, copy/paste, and highlighting. This is really limiting when working comparatively on two spreadsheets.

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Enstella Exchange EDB to PST Recovery Software

Download this Enstella Exchange EDB to PST Recovery Software which is 100% well qualified and talented to do it safely export and convert damaged Exchange EDB file as well as you will proficient to save all recovered Exchange mailbox items into PST Outlook file format with original details. This EDB to PST file conversion utility gives the authority to the user to simply Export EDB items like- emails, contacts, chats, tasks, notes, appointments, and journals to several different file formats such as- PST, EML, MSG, and HTML.

Get freeware to click here-https://www.enstella.com/edb-to-pst-conversion.html

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 7z password recovery software

I advise you to download SysInspire 7z password recovery software that recovers any type of combination password through the help of many recovery options such as- Brute Force Attack, Dictionary Attack, and mask Attack.

Get the details - https://www.sysinspire.com/7z-password-recovery-software/

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. F9 Evaluation key is very important, why it is not in the LET and other functions????

1. F9 Formula Evaluation key is very important, why it is not in the LET and other functions????

2. F9 Formula Evaluation key should also be throughout Excel [all formulas and functions, but also must be available in Power Query, Power BI too], why it hasn't been there???? Any reason???

3. It is one of the important functionality, and I am really surprised why it is not available through Excel, Power Query, Power BI, and DAX functionality must also be evaluated via F9 key, it is also not there???

4. In the NAME MANAGER, there must be a password, so we can able to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Can I open lotus notes emails in outlook

Being a novice in case of operating Lotus Notes, I thought whether I would be able to open Lotus Notes emails in Outlook or not.

Then I decided to use the free demo version of the SysInspire NSF to PST converter to check it.

I was suggested to use the application by my friend and all thanks to him for suggesting such a tremendous application like the free SysInspire NSF to PST converter

Download and install the SysInspire tool in the local machine.
    Run the software to open the NSF files particularly emails into Outlook PST
    Click on the Add…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make "Evaluate Formula" Window resizable.

Now that we are getting more functions that allow for lengthier and more complex formulas (e.g. LET and LAMBA), for the love of God please make the Evaluate Formula window resizable (and remember the size when Excel is closed).

This has always been an issue and with longer formulas it is next to impossible to debug them using the fixed size (i.e. small) evaluate formula window. This didn't use to be as big an issue because you could expand the formula bar and press F9 to kind of step through the components of the formula. But now with LET the…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. About the function to display the edited file for each terminal individually in the "Recently used items" column

■Title(件名):
    端末ごとに編集したファイルを個別で "最近使ったアイテム" 欄に表示させる機能について

About the function to display the edited file for each terminal individually in the "Recently used items" column

■Description(内容):
    Excel クライアント アプリの機能として、端末ごとに編集したファイルを個別で "最近使ったアイテム" 欄に表示させる機能の追加を希望します。

As a function of the Excel client application, I would like to add a function to display the edited file for each device individually in the "Recently used items" column.

(例 : A 端末にて編集したファイルは A 端末の Excel アプリの "最近使ったアイテム" に表示され、B 端末の "最近使ったアイテム" には表示されないように設定したい。)

(Example: I want to set the file edited on A terminal to be displayed in "Recent Items" of the Excel app on A terminal, and not to be displayed…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base