Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ½. Using fraction symbols in calculations.

When using the auto correct options for a fraction in the format "1/2" to become "½", these symbols are not respected as a value when calculating, resulting in #VALUE!.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. STOP TURNING OFF THE ******* NUMLOCK. ******* YOU MICROSOFT.

STOP TURNING OFF THE ******* NUMLOCK. ******* YOU MICROSOFT.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. When I type a

When I type a date, I would like it to take the format I type in, instead of auto changing to a format that I do not want, and having to go through all the hoops to change it back. If I type 4/15/19, that is what I want, if I type April 15, 2019, that is what I want, yet both default to auto correct to 15-APR-2019

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. A more efficient way to sum column

Hi there guys,

Let's say I have a simple column with numerical values (check figure A attached).

If I look at the right bottom corner of the Excel window, I'll get a quick summary of the data (average, count, sum).

Oftentimes, I'll need to use this sum elsewhere (sometimes beyond Excel). Thus, I've always wondered why there is no shortcut to simply copy the sum to clipboard.

I understand that I can use something like Autosum to calculate it quickly but I feel this would be an even faster and more efficient way. And that's sort of the point of…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Colour-coded Recent files

I have both personal files and work files on my Open > Recent Files list. I would like to be able to colour-code them so that they are easier to distinguish, or even Categorise them with headings so that I can see the difference.

This would be great for all Microsoft Apps (Word, Project, Excel, etc)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Mend a Custom cell format mm:ss Bug

If I choose the cell custom format hh:mm:ss and enter 0:27:31 the cell shows 00:27:31 - As Expected.
    If I choose the Cell custom format hh:mm and enter 16:54 the cell displays 16:54 - As Expected.
    HOWEVER
    If I choose the cell custom format mm:ss and enter 27:31 the cell shows 31:00 - Completely UNEXPECTED
    If I choose the cell custom format mm:ss and enter 27.31 the cell shows 26:24 - Even More unexpected.
    This HAS been replicated by MS Chat who advised I post it here.

I CAN use the hh:mm:ss option and have 00: extra in every field…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Power Query Time Stamp of last updated Data

Hi All,

I import data using Power Query from multiple resources and Lots of time I have seen in Power Query that even though we click on Refresh All still not all tables refreshes the data in Power Query Editor.

So I am looking for feature of option in Power Query that shows last data import date. So that user easily know if all the resources have been updated or not or when it last refreshed ?

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Bring back F3 = Find Next

Even in Windows F3 means "Search". Why in Excel and Word this useful key does not work anymore?

It looks like now it is Shift+F4. My fingers will get arthritis from pressing this combination all day.

Also I suppose to be able to change the hotkey but now the Keyboard Shortcut option in the "Customize Ribbon" has disappeared.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Double Click or F2 Cells in a Protected Workbook - see the cells used in a formula

Please allow users to double click a formula in a protected workbook to see which cells are pulled into the formula. I still want to know how the formula is working even though I can't change it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Setting row height from 0.21" (default) to 0.5" on Page Layout does not give the proper Excel Output

Custom Margin Settings for 2 Excel files were both set this way:

Top: 0.5
    Bottom: 0.5
    Left: 0.7
    Right: 0.7
    Header: 0
    Footer: 0
    *no other settings modified

First Excel File

View > Workbook Views > Page Layout
    Highlighted first 20 Rows > Home > Cells Section > Format > Row Height > Set Row Height from 0.21" to 0.50"
    Which results in row 21 showing up on the first page,

Second Excel File

View > Workbook Views > Page Layout
    Highlighted first 20 Rows > Home > Cells Section > Format > Row Height > Set Row Height from…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Intelligent options for data labels in charts

We need better options for formatting and positioning data labels in charts.

*better positioning options, including above left, below left, above right, below right, etc.

*ability to specify offset (distance from data point), both horizontal and vertical

*ability to nudge data labels with keyboard arrows

*better number formats (see https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/14817276-intelligent-number-formatting-in-chart-axes)

*ability to display label for min or max data point, for first data point, for last data point, for every other data point, etc.

*Tickbox option for all the data labels to match data color or some such (match the font of the data label to the line color,…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. add an easy way of counting unique values, DISTINCT

there is no function currently to Count distinct , there are work around and compounded formulas to write. but that is what they are, work around. add a simple DISTINCT as an option to the COUNT function.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add F4 toggle to "lock" structured refrences

Structured references are awesome. But making them relative/absolute is not! Let us use the F4 shortcut on structured references too.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Freezing Property for Graphs, Shapes, Linked Pictures/Objects

It will be good to have Freezing Option under Properties for Graphs, Shapes, Linked Pictures/Objects etc. where a user can have an option to lock the objects on screen... and the same should be appearing as constant even if the user scrolls to the left-right & up-down.

This will give End-user a dynamic webpage view/feel especially for huge excel dashboards with specific KPI - graphs and charts appearing on top or on either sides

Like: Don't Move or Size or Scroll with the Cells

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Flexible string to date /time conversion functions

It would be nice to have a function that can accept a string value that represents a date and/or time and an Excel date/time format expression to return the date/time value i.e.
    to_date(string_value, format expression)
    to_time(string_value, format expression)

For example, consider the following string values for dates stored in cell A1
    20190913 : to_date(A1, "yyyymmdd")
    19-09-13 : to_date(A1, "yy-mm-dd")
    19-Sep-13 : to_date(A1, "yy-mmm-dd")

for time
    091500 : to_time(A1, "hhmmss")
    9:15 : to_time(A1, "h:mm")

for timestamp
    20190913091500 : to_date(A1, "yyyymmddhhmmss")

The existing datevalue() fucntion only recognize "standard" date formats and can make mistake interpreting the string based on your regional settings…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. XLookup function

I'm office insider but still i don't have new XLookup function

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. restore previous versions

excel or all microsoft applications should store previous saved documents so you can recover an older version thats been saved previously, I had a scenario where I edited a spreadsheet, saved and closed, the following day I found I had made many errors and was unable to undo and did not have any old documents saved, there should be an option to select which saved file you desire with a time and date stamp

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow navigating from sheet to sheet and landing in the same cell.

Move from sheet to sheet in a workbook so that one ends up in the same cell in each sheet. In LOTUS 123 it was [SHIFT}{ALT}{PAGEUP} OR {PAGEDOWN}.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Protect Workbook-scoped names against edits when the workbook is protected

The Protect Workbook button in the Review tab is great for preventing the addition/deletion/renaming of sheets and the modification of Power Query queries. This protection should also apply to names (in the Name Manager) with the "Workbook" scope, similar to how names with a sheet scope cannot be edited when that sheet is protected.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Filling series for a cell containing "m³" leads to strange results

If you have a cell that contains "m³" (without quotes) and you use the fill handle to fill cells below or to the right, you will get "m132", "m133", etc. Similarly, if you fill cells above or to the left, you will get "m130", "m129", etc. "m³" acts as if its value is "m131", which is clearly incorrect behaviour.

There are probably many other examples where filling series acts weird. Please fix this. There are 2 acceptable solutions. One is to simply copy "m³" to the destination cells. The other is to treat the "³" like "3" and assume the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base