Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. easy nested formula creation

when you create nested formulas, you need to think very hard how to write the formula correctly with parenthesis but also with the data logic.
    Getting both at first shot is impossible!
    What if you put calculation step in one cell horizontally. When this is done, you have your calculation right and no syntax error.
    Select all cells with simple calculation and use my new nested formula creation. Syntax error free 100% guarranteed! Waiting for MS excel to contact me for further discussion.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Highlite Active row for easier navigation on sheet....

I work with lots of lines and its tireing to try and track which row im on,
    Please try and Highlight the active row.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Tabs on the side

I work with loads of tabs and spend too much time scrolling left / right. Can the tabs go on the side of the spreadsheet with a scrollbar? Should be a nice fix that can be made optional for users!

I can imagine huge cost savings for any company using big spreadsheets

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Excel clears content of clipboard too quickly on copy/paste operation.

Do not clear Excel's clipboard with every interim action during copy/paste operation. For example: 1) If I copy a cell's value and go to a table or pivot-table, clear a filter and then try to paste a value into the filter, the clipboard is empty. 2) If I copy a value from a cell and try to paste it when editing a query, the clipboard is empty. This costs me time and peace of mind up to a hundred times a day.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Tabs Up Top (Optional)

REQUEST

Allow users to place tabs up top, just below the Ribbon. They are getting buried to the lower depth of increasing resolution and screen sizes.

SITUATION

Days gone by, monitor and resolution sizes were smaller and tabs held a relatively larger chuck of desktop real estate within a reasonable peripheral view. This is no longer the case. Monitor and resolution sizes have and will continue grow.

PROBLEM

As the virtual desktop grows in space, the relative size and lower level placement of tabs impedes their recognition and use. I find myself falling into the bad habit of not making…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Make Custom Cell Formats Easier

Make it easier to create custom formats by eliminating the need for users to memorize all the different cryptic formatting characters.
    Perhaps a Help button, or a drop down selector for all the different format characters would be useful here.
    Meanwhile, here are two resources to help with custom formats
    https://exceljet.net/custom-number-formats
    https://customformats.com/

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Custom Format Cells - Add ability to Format Like Sample

In the year 2019 there MUST be a better way to create custom cell formats in Excel.
    Please add the ability to create a custom number format based on cell contents. The Sample shown could be used as the template source.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Single Page Zoom

When in Page Layout mode, have the option to zoom out on one page. Word has a "One Page" option in the zoom settings. Excel is default to "Multiple Pages" when zooming out and scrolling. Would be nice to see how the document will appear printed out.

See attached for what is available in Word.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Expand Pivot Tables without overwriting existing data beneath or to the right of table

With all the queries on the internet, we assume there is no built-in option to prevent pivot tables from overwriting data beneath the table during refresh and expansion. Is that correct?

Given that Excel has options for 'inserting' rows, why in the world would Microsoft NOT provide a pivot table expansion/contraction option for inserting or deleting rows from within the refreshed table without overwriting data beneath or to the right of the table?

It is also interesting that inserting rows into a regular Excel table, using the TAB key in the last row, can add rows by expanding the table…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Create a command line tool for signing Office files with a digital certificate

Besides Office, Excel files can be created using numerous software tools. More often than not, batches of macro-enabled Excel files are processed with scripts for productivity purposes. However, VBA code signing cannot be part of an automated process, as it is a manual task that requires opening & saving the file in Excel.

This request is about creating a command line tool for signing Office files with a digital certificate, similar to MS SignTool.

In addition, the existing macro signing process in Office is not 100% compatible with Open XML specifications. I can clarify this statement in a private discussion…

81 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Make Insert Data From Picture Option Available for Excel Desktop

Insert Data From Picture has been rolled out for Excel Mobile.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/insert-data-from-picture-3c1bb58d-2c59-4bc0-b04a-a671a6868fd7

Please make this available for Excel Desktop. (Or is already available? If so how to access it?)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Retain text formatting after changing formula references inside shapes/textboxes

This has been a bug (in my mind) forever. For some reason, if you have an Excel shape nicely formatted and you go to link it to a cell to make the text dynamic, all the text formatting gets reset. This is really extremely annoying if you are creating a visually stimulating dashboard and want to duplicate a bunch of perfectly formatted shapes. Proceeding to link the shapes to various cells so that they display your data completely resets the formatting.

I created a VBA workaround to make it seem like the text format is retained, but this functionality should…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. select date for open/close stock

You should be able to pick dates when selecting stock info.

E.g set the date as 06/11/2019 to get XNAS:MSFT open price on that day.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Setting proper width when inserting Table Column

When inserting Table Columns adjust the columns to match the width where the data came from. Make it work like it does when inserting column on spreadsheet.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Select Pivot Table by name

I would like to have the possibility to select a PivotTable by name.

In a PivotTable chart, the source tells you what is the PivotTable name but then, you have so select all your PivotTables one by one to find the correct PivotTable.
    So if you can add a tool that is able to select a PivotTable by name, it will save a lot of time.

Thanks

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Use ISO8601 when exporting dates to CSV files

When exporting to a CSV file, it would be best to export dates in ISO8601 format (or a specific date format if the user has set one). CSV is about making things machine readable and this avoids the ambiguity of American vs British date formats. I regularly deal with local councils and they will export a CSV file from Excel and then be very confused as to why the date format has changed when they've explicitly set it. If you can't preserve their chosen format, please default to ISO8601 to reduce headaches.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Gridlines make them visible in a block of filled color cells

Gridlines, when you fill color a block of cells the gridlines are no longer visible to see each cell when working in the sheet. Would be nice to turn this on and off.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Provide a menu item to "Hide all notes"

I inadvertently clicked "Show all notes". I had to hide them all individually - on a multi tabbed workbook with over 100 notes. A "Hide all notes" menu item would really help. I did look at multiple forums but couldn't find a way to do that.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Let people actually enter data (hint: NOT EVERYTHING IS ALWAYS A DATE)

Sometimes I enter text. Sometimes I enter fractions (funny huh, in a data entry application). They ARENT DATES! Thanks for destroying the actual data in the process of converting it. Also no matter how many buttons I mash it "detects" the date every time unless I manually enter every field with a ' before it. Here's an idea. DO WHAT I ACTUALLY ENTERED. Not what you think an idiot might be TRYING TO DO. The actual commands I entered. Do it. For once.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base