Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Persistent Highlighting of Rows (or Columns) When Not The Active Window/App

Like most professionals these days, I have a multi-monitor configuration for my computer which allows me to have two apps open and visible at the same time. This is handy when getting data from one source via an Excel spreadsheet while updating data in another Excel spreadsheet.

It allows me to keep both spreadsheets open, one on each monitor, as I walk the one to update the other.

The issue is: When I select a row in the source spreadsheet, it is highlighted. When I make the other spreadsheet the active window, the highlight disappears from the source spreadsheet.

It…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. XLOOKUP AND $

When selecting the data ranges that have the information you want, enter the $ on the range: XLOOKUP(A5,$D$1:$D$80,$G$1:$G$80)
    I'm working 30 years with spreadsheets and I've probably use VLOOKUP without the $ 5 times. People with less skills forget to include the $ and the formulas don't work properly and they have to call me for help.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add single use functions

I’ve thought of a couple of functions that would be helpful.

1. A GetSingleDate function. If you put this in an empty cell, it returns the current date and won’t update again. In a Table it would have the effect of being a date created value for that row.

2. AutoNumber. Like MS Access, it returns the next number in sequence. After it gets a number the first time, it won’t increment again. In a table it would be just like autonumber in Access. Parameters could be starting number and increment.

I have implemented both of these with VBA and they have…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add a persistent unique "eternal" ID for each sheet as an alternative to name and index.

It would be extremely useful to me, and perhaps other developers, to have a unique read-only ID for each sheet that would never change. It would be assigned internally by Excel at the time the sheet was created. The idea would be for it to function as an auto-incrementing identity column does for a row in a database.

Why would this be useful? If you store sheet names anywhere in the workbook--such as in range or table--for use in VBA code and you allow the user to rename worksheets, your code will break as soon as the user renames a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. You ***** at microsoft know what would be a great ******* idea? How about if everytime you copied something you would have to press escape?

You at microsoft know what would be a great ** idea? How about if everytime you copied something you would have to press escape?

Which one of you * pieces of thought this was a good idea? Go ** yourselves. FUCKINGGODDAMNYOUYOUFUCKs.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. VBA Developer should highlight paired parentheses

While editing VBA code within the Developer window, there should be some basic syntax highlighting such as paired parentheses. This would help while coding complex nested conditions.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Extend XLOOKUP and XMATCH to return nth matched item/position

INDEX, MATCH and other variants return the FIRST value that matches the given criterion. Extend the functions (especially the new XLOOKUP/XMATCH functions) so that the formulae return the nth matching item or position

Extend XLOOKUP and XMATCH to return nth matched item/position

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. WHAT THE **** DID YOU FUCKFACES DO WITH THE AXIS RANGE, FUCKINGGODDMAN YOU YOU PIECES OF ****.

WHAT THE DID YOU FUCKFACES DO WITH THE AXIS RANGE, FUCKINGGODDMAN YOU YOU PIECES OF .

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Select visible cells by default

Give the ability to the user to select only visible cells by default. Having to select the range, click on Go to Special and selecting Visible Cells only adds unecessary extra steps in certain types of work.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. I found a mistake of EXCEL function 'QUARTILE'. How can I feedback this mistake to your development team?

Hello,

I found a mistake of EXCEL function 'QUARTILE'.
    I use the example data via https://support.office.com/en-us/article/quartile-function-93cf8f62-60cd-4fdb-8a92-8451041e1a2a?omkt=en-US&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US to explain the details.
    I believe the formula of function 'QUARTILE' is wrong according to statistics. This serious mistake may mislead people.
    Please feedback this mistake to your EXCEL development team and fix it ASAP.

Please find attached excel for details.

You can contact with me via fang.lin@te.com

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. LEAVE THE **** NUMLOCK ON

LEAVE THE **** NUMLOCK ON

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Override default data type classifications

I work with long numeric IDs in excel every day. Opening a .csv with these long numbers, Excel's default behavior is to convert the values to scientific notation, in the process rounding the value so when you redefine the cell to eg, a number, the value it returns is no longer accurate. This is catastrophic in the context of a large number serving as an ID.

The way to work around this is opening every .csv by using the Data -> Get Data -> From File flow correcting data type of the long number columns before opening the file, which…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. restore previous versions

excel or all microsoft applications should store previous saved documents so you can recover an older version thats been saved previously, I had a scenario where I edited a spreadsheet, saved and closed, the following day I found I had made many errors and was unable to undo and did not have any old documents saved, there should be an option to select which saved file you desire with a time and date stamp

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Enable to sort separate range columns in latest desktop version of Excel

Trying to sort out multiple columns in Excel but received an error!! This is possible on earlier versions of Excel desktop. Need to sort multiple columns at once.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Have multiple "recent" colors for cell fill and text in the ribbon at all times

In a given workbook, I frequently use several different colors over and over again for both fill and text. Wouldn't it be great to have those few colors constantly in the ribbon rather than simply the last? Even having just one extra color (last used and second to last used) would be a significant improvement since it is most often that I go back and forth between two colors, whether for cell or text color. If not that, then perhaps a hover/drop down feature that goes to the recent colors when you point at the last.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow time format >24 h in Power Pivot and Power BI

In order to calculate monthly call times, one has to create an overly complicated DAX formula in order to show the times above 24 h correctly. As a result, it doesn't function as TIME, but as TEXT, and one cannot use it in charts.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. An active sheet bar.

I work with 10s of sheets in my workbook and switching between them is difficult and it breaks the flow of your work.

When I scroll on the sheet bar. Instead of the current sheet the sheet bar should move (left/right) so switching between a lot of sheets becomes easy.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Enable Pivot tables to automatically refresh after a query table or list object has updated - this is how Excel used to function until 2016

Until Excel 2016 (I believe), Pivot Tables automatically updated after a query table had refreshed. With the removal of this functionality many of our workbooks have been affected after our move from Office 2010 to office 365.

Can we please get this functionality back - not only did we use to rely on it, but in terms of a calculation chain, it makes perfect sense.

See also:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeexcel-msoother-mso_o365b/excel-pivot-table-automatic-update/57ccd7dc-9ff7-4e5c-b892-ab18084b2738?messageId=7aafcff3-32c4-4883-a3e8-92b39831ad0f

Thank you

Richard

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Extend Edit Links window

Can the Edit Links window be extendable so the Location 'full file path' of a linked workbook can be visible

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add hanging indentation

In wrapped text, need to be able to indent all but the first line

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)