Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. LEAVE THE FUCKING_NUMLOCK ON. FUCK_YOU_MICROSOFT.

LEAVE THE FUCKINGNUMLOCK ON. FUCKYOU_MICROSOFT.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Multilevel Add/Remove blank row after each item in Pivot Tables

I have a tabular form Pivot Table with four Row fields. I would like a blank row after the end of the first and second fields, but not afterwards. With the 'Add a blank row after each item' command, I get a blank row between every line of data, rather than having the lesser fields grouped together with no blank line. I would like to be able to select a field entry and have the command add a blank line at the level of the selected field.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. LET function should better return #NAME? whenever undefined variable was used inside the formula

If you write the formula

=LET(
    target,A1,
    list,B1:B5,
    IFERROR(VLOOKUP(targt,list,1,FALSE),"not found"))

The current insider version of the Excel in my computer outputs "not found" even if the value in the A1 actually exists in the range B1:B5.
    This is because of the typo "targt".

I would like Excel to warn me that I made a typo.

One idea is to make whole formula return #NAME?, whenever the undefined name is used somewhere inside the formula.
    Another idea is to highlight the undefined names when editing the formula.

This issue is not only about the LET function, but the LET function make…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Easy dynamic charts using dynamic arrays

Dynamic arrays are great! Please let us use them (in chart series) for dynamic charting.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Enable multiple workbooks in a single Excel instance.

Please update Excel so that it can open multiple workbooks in a single instance, like it used to. Having multiple instances open hinders my efficiency: I can't ctrl-Tab between workbooks and I can't Paste-Special from different Excel instances the same way I can within the same instance.

Thanks

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. This is for all Excel versions. What if you could use block-based programming instead of writing unreadable one-liners?

This is for all Excel versions. What if you could use block-based programming instead of writing unreadable one-liners?

Consider, for example, the programming learning tool Scratch, released by MIT. If you built a tool akin to this, Excel's formula features would be significantly improved in accessibility and interpretability for the average knowledgeable user as well as for those who find formulas difficult to understand or write today. To prevent an increase in Excel file size, this feature should be program side only, Excel would create a formula editor, the editor would output the one-liner, and interpret existing one-liners as visual…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Fix =Z1 when Z1 = "" should return "" not 0, No work around w/ Dynamic Arrays

There has been a longstanding issue as follows. When referencing a cell (e.g. formula in cell A1 is "=Z1") and Z1 is blank/"" then the value returned in A1 is 0 (not blank/"" as expected). The work around for this has always been to change the formula to =Z1&"".

The problem is now with Dynamic arrays this is not possible. Create a table with 3 columns, first 2 columns are a text values and 3rd column is a date or numeric. The write a dynamic array function =FILTER(Table1,Column2<>"Y"). The spilled array will return a 0 in column 1 or 2…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Pre-release new versions of VBA

I have been having a lot of trouble with changes that are being made in Visual Basic by people who are obviously not VBA users themselves.

I am a developer and keep historical versions of the programs I am working on, and I'm tripping all over changes that are being made. And it's particularly irksome that I have go back and figure out why something isn’t working and then re-debug code that's that has been working for years..

Another thing I have a problem with is recent changes in the way VBA itself works. It use to be than when…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. vlookup based on multi column match

VLOOKUP with categories e.g. match column 1, then match on 2nd (or further) column(s).

I use the following logic

If x = cell(row,a) and y = cell(row,b) then
    'got a match
    end if

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Opening the main Excel window in a default size and position specified by the user

We like to open the main Excel window in the same position on our desktop each time. The only way we can do this is to assure that the last closed window was in the desired location when closed. This is because new windows open in the same size and position as the last closed window.

The problem arises when you open multiple worksheets, which automatically arrange themselves or are moved by the user to other temporary locations. Closing any of these windows last sets a new undesired default for the next session of Excel.

Another problem is that t…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add PDF Connector to Excel PowerQuery

Connectors available for PowerBI POwerQuery might be available for Excel PowerQuery too

One example with missing support is PDF Connector

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow us to sort Ideas on this site by number of votes

On this site, when I search for my idea, I want the most-voted-for ideas to come at the top of the results list. At the moment, the first 10 pages could be all between 1-10 votes, then first result on page 11 could have 500 votes!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. STILL HAVE TO HIT ESCAPE WHEN COPYING IN EXCEL. FUCK_YOU_MICROSOFT. UNFUCK_YOUR_CRAPWARE

STILL HAVE TO HIT ESCAPE WHEN COPYING IN EXCEL. FUCKYOUMICROSOFT. UNFUCKYOURCRAPWARE

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Excel Open file in multi instance by default

Hi We need to open a new instance of Excel by deflaut each time we open an excel file. The following solution are not suitable.

you can start a new Excel instance (process) by doing the following:
    run “Excel /x” (without quotes)
    or the DisableMergeInstance regkey because it works only when you open excel first and then open the file. It does not works double clicking on an excel file. Don't give one of those solution (https://excelgorilla.com/excel/general/open-multiple-instances-excel/) as we need it to be by default as Excel 2010 behavior.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Leave the fucking_numlock on. FUCKING_GODDAMN_YOU MICROSOFT.

Leave the fuckingnumlock on. FUCKINGGODDAMN_YOU MICROSOFT.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Have a date function that is shows the date of when a data point was entered

We'd like to have a function in which we could see the date of when a data point was entered into the system. Like that we wouldn't have to enter the date manually every time we entered a data point into the spreadsheet. it would be like an if statment, example( =IF(B3<>" ",DateOfEntry()," ")) the function itself would be the "DateOfEntry()" the issue we have with Today() is that it updates every day and therefore every time we enter the spreadsheet the date information is updated to the current date and we arent able to have proper tracking of the…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Tables should default to "My table has headers" being ticked

It's taken me 10 years to realise this but I've never "unchecked" My Table has headers, it's ALWAYS the other way round, forgetting to remember to tick it because Excel hasn't recognised the header row.

Let's default the tick to always on ?

130 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. excel macros

When the user uses the remote desk of the laptop(the system of the laptop is windows 10 1903 rdp) to connect to another computer, the excel document with Macros cannot open or save(the version of the office365 is latest).

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Extend XLOOKUP and XMATCH to return nth matched item/position

INDEX, MATCH and other variants return the FIRST value that matches the given criterion. Extend the functions (especially the new XLOOKUP/XMATCH functions) so that the formulae return the nth matching item or position

Extend XLOOKUP and XMATCH to return nth matched item/position

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base