Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. lookup/hlookup

Can you add a new vlookup that allows the lookup variable to lookup against a specified column in a range (versus column 1) and to return the value in relative column (X) where X can be both negative and positive values? Why should the lookup column need to be the left-most? Also, it would be very helpful if the lookup column could be multiple columns. I have oil well data that is specific to the well and the day and is text data.I would like to look up text in a column that matches both the well and the day…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Money in Excel: budget template

Create a budget template to make sure you aren't spending more than a certain amount per month in a budget (e.g. shopping, dining out)

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. co-authoring track changes history

I love that using co-authoring you can manage how you share the excel file with your team wherein you can set a user as view only and the others will have the capability to edit. I however extremely need this TRACK CHANGES features 1.) alert notification real-time whenever there is change. This should have an on/off settings so you can turn this on if you want to monitor the progress real-time, 2.) you can check changes history who edit what and you can set the date so that you can select from the start and end date of the project.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Power Query Ranking

Add the ability to add a custom column that ranks data. Needs to offer the standard different ranking methods: ordinal, standard, modified, dense and fractional as explained here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranking

Also needs to be able to rank within groups and nested groups.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Outliers Function for Office 365 Excel Desktop App

I do not understand why Excel - Desktop or Web - does not have a function to identify and flag Outliers (statistical unusually high or low data values) in a column of data? Outliers in data skew any data analysis results whether we are talking about simple data visualization or more advanced regression and other modeling. For example, it could be a spreadsheet function where you enter "=Outlier" in a cell and then select range of data. Or, it could show up in the list of Excel Functions under the Formulas toolbar tab at the top of Excel. Or, it…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Include Track Changes in Teams

As a engineering company we need to be able to track changes to a spreadsheet that is inside a teams tab.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Edit history with username on every cell

when you share a file with multiple users and they edit multiple cells with different values. It would be great to have a "Cell history" which will show us the edit history of a particular cell by any users. Information like what they changed and when they changed it (with username). This feature is available in Google sheets and its amazing to keep a track of whos changing what.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Preserve Pivot Table layout if field was renamed in source table

Hello,

Background

1. Create table:

|Date|Number|
    |01.01.2020|10|
    |02.01.2020|20|

1. Create pivot table based on table from p.1.

2. Drag field "Date" to rows of pivot table.

3. Drag field "Number" to columns.

Problem

1. Rename field "Date" to "Date 1".

2. Update Pivot Table.

Field "Data" has been removed from Pivot Table because it's been renamed to "Data 1". Now you need to manually add this "Date 1" back to Pivot Table.

Proposal

Based on example from "Background" and "Problem" sections:

1. Don't remove field from Pivot Table if it's been renamed.

2. Rename field in Pivot Table according to a new name in source table and don't…
    2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. A number format for telephone numbers

Telephone numbers are not numbers, but Excel treats them as if they are (e.g. deleted leading 0). Excel isn't a database, but we all do it. Give us a specific 'number' format for telephone numbers so that Excel knows to leave the 'number' alone.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Fusionar Células

Uma outra função que o Excel deveria ter é o fusionar células (não é mesclar). Se tiver algum valor duplicado, mas em alguma coluna ter algum valor diferente, uma função poderia unir as duas e mantendo apenas valores únicos.

Ex: A1 - japão A2 japão

B1  em branco   B2  é bonito  

a função fusionar deveria ficar assim:

C1 japão C2 é bonito

poderia ter uma função = fusion (a1:a2)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Apply Conditional Formatting to New rows added to the bottom of Tables

Fill down the conditional formatting to rows added to tables at the bottom - i.e. when the table auto-expands having pasted or typed new values in the next row beneath a table (with/without a totals column)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Active Cell auto-highlights cell row and column

I believe it would be useful to automatically highlight (in a colour chosen by the user but a default lightly-noticeable colour e.g. lightgrey would be good) the row and column associated with the active cell(s)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. When choosing the New Taiwan Dollar, you can round the decimal point automatically to an integer

When you choose the New Taiwan Dollar, you can round automatically the decimal point directly to an integer, because the New Taiwan Dollar does not have the number after the decimal point, otherwise it is easy to forget to round it when using excel. It is important because most of the time we use Currency sign, we use it for formal documents.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Uppercase/Lowercase Cell Formatting

It would be awesome if you could format a cell to only return uppercase or lowercase or proper content. It was also be great if this was a conditional formatting option as well.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Set margins for alternate pages

I am trying to print (duplex) a lot of A4 landscape pages to go into a binder. I will need a bigger margin on the top of the first page, but when flipped over in the binder I need a small margin on the top of the second page and the larger margin on the bottom. I cannot find anyway of doing this in Excel. There must be lots of occasions when this is needed.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Save font style and size for new documents

Once a user has created a Font and Size they want, Excel will have a button to save that font and size for further new documents.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add functionality to Money in Excel to allow data to be downloaded from a Bank Account back further than 30-60 days

Add functionality to Money in Excel to allow data to be downloaded from a Bank Account back further than 30-60 days; for at least two years. Or for the time period to be selected by the user.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Clear All Filters for a table

These days most worksheets have a lot of columns and are used collaboratively. As a result various users can put filters on columns of their choice, and when I see the worksheet I need to go clear all the filters to be able to see the full data. Instead of having to go to each column to clear its filter, I would rather have a single button or context/menu option to clear all filters.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add "Header" Argument to FILTER and UNIQUE Dynamic Array Functions

I'm proposing that header argument be added to the FILTER and UNIQUE Dynamic Array Functions just like we have seen in the STOCKHISTORY function

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. A preset borders button that's thin interior lines with thick outer border

I'm constantly using thin inner borders and thick outer borders to create easy-to-read tables that delineates details from totals, etc., but there's no present button for it in the borders formatting menu. I know it would save me personally a TON of time to have a single button for that, similar to the existing presets of "top and thick bottom border," and I can't be the only one!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base