Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Data Validation Drop-down List displays only 8 items.

Data Validation Drop-down List displays only 8 items. It is OK for small list but when we use big list, selecting an item from Drop-down List is very annoying. We want bigger display of Drop-down List.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Power Query should allow Get from Folder from a Ondrive folder URL (not the mapped folder on the local file system)

Power Query allows Get from Folder from a local file system. If we are using Onedrive, we have to first map the folders to that local file system. We cannot directly enter the URL of the Onedrive folder as an https URL.

This would avoid the problem of having queries break when the local file system is different between, say, my work and my home PCs. EG the work folder may be C:\Users(work userid)\Onedrive - (my onedriveID)\folder name. But my home folder is C:\Users(home userid)\Onedrive - (my onedriveID)\folder name.
    I'd be happy to use "try Folder.Files (work*) otherwise Folder.Files (home*)…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add a MONTHDIF function

The formula should work like the YEARFRAC function. It should calculate partial months on either end of the dates. So starting 1/15/20 should calculate as 16/31 days or 0.516.. months, and ending at 6/5/20 should calculate as 25/30 day or 0.8333.. months. Currently, I have to use a ridiculously long formula to achieve this.

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Sorting rules deleted when data is deleted... NOT GOOD!

Not much of an idea but more of a feedback. The sorting rules are being deleted after data is deleted is not an improvement. I would prefer being able to manipulate my data without the worry of my rules being affected. Especially upon removal of all data to input a new set.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Convert Dynamic Arrays into Tables

The new Dynamic Arrays make possible to automatically fill down formulas. Tables can also fill down formulas. Microsoft Excel Team could make both features be compatible so we could convert Dynamic Arrays into Tables making them expand and shrink according to the main formula.

154 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. STOP TRYING TO FUCKING_GUESS WHAT I AM ABOUT TO DO. YOU DO_NOT_FUCKING KNOW.

STOP TRYING TO FUCKINGGUESS WHAT I AM ABOUT TO DO. YOU DONOT_FUCKING KNOW.

DO YOU FUCKINGPIECES OF KNOW HOW ANNOYING IT IS TO HAVE SOME SOFTWARE POPULATE IN A CHART OF DATA THAT YOU FUCKINGBITCHES THINK I WANT BUT REALLY HAS NOTHING TO FUCKING_DO WITH WHAT I WANTED? THEN I HAVE TO DELETE IT AND SET IT UP THE WAY I ORIGINALLY GOING TO DO AFTER UNDOING ALL YOUR BLID IGNORANT GUESS WORK. **** YOU.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add option for "natural sorting"

Add option for "natural sorting" as present in LibreOffice.
    Should sort cells with content D15, D100, D101, D1000 in this order and not as D100, D1000, D101, D15 (text sorting).

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Please provide the feature of tracking the changes made by co-authors in word, excel and powepoint

Please provide the feature of tracking the changes made by co-authors in word, excel and powepoint

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. COUNTIF, SUMIF............etc. based on cell color

If Excel allow us to use cell color as function criteria, it would be wonderful.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Document DAX with enough detail to not have to take a 3rd-party course to learn it

Microsoft has done an OK job documenting the DAX functions, and this is fine for those that already understand DAX. However, there is little documentation to understand DAX in the first place and users must resort to taking SQLBI's Mastering DAX course to learn basic concepts such as context transition, data lineage, expanded tables, and the evaluation of CALCULATE. The current cost and effort required to learn DAX are a deterrent for anyone thinking of using DAX in their work, which hinders the adoption of DAX.

Please lower the barrier to entry by thoroughly documenting DAX in a user-friendly way…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Let me open two copies of a workbook with the same name. PLEASE

Working on various different clients we often have standardised workbooks names. It would be very useful to be able to compare these quickly without having to save one of them locally under a different names.

Cheers microsoft

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add Power BI Dataflows as a data source in "Get & Transform Data"

Please add Power BI Dataflows as a data source so that I can import data from a Dataflow into the local spreadsheet/data model.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-dataflows-create-use

146 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Fix the "problem with clipboard" mess

This clipboard issue is well known to Microsoft and it can and should be fixed immediately. With all the Ph.D. programmers at its disposal, there is no excuse other than "We don't really care if you users have annoying and time wasting problems with our software. We are working on more important things and can't be bothered with trivial issues." Since we pay for Office 360, we users are entitled to product functionality, and this clipboard issue causes us problems we don't need. Please fix this issue ASAP!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. comparing sheets

I want the ability to compare the contents of two worksheets (either the same workbook or in different workbooks) to see it they are identical and, if not, where they differ from one another.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Ability to Disable Dynamic Array Functionality

We would like the ability to disable the recently added Dynamic Array Functionality.
    According to our in-house testing, Office 365 Version 1910 (Build 12130.20272) is the first build to include the Dynamic Array functionality. This new 'feature' basically broke the way our business has managed and shared large spreadsheets made up of calculations consisting of figures from various external links.

For example… In Excel versions prior to the build listed above, when a user with access to the linked data sources opens one of these spreadsheets, the calculations will update including data from the external links. Once said spreadsheet has…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. DONT'T CHANGE MY FORMULA!!!!!!!

How about keeping the formula intact, returning a #REF result and NOT editing the formula with a #REF comment. This stupid idea prevents one from following the formula back and evaluating what the error is, or what cell it's referencing. Who ever thought of doing this should have some training! If one receives a spreadsheet developed by someone else, they may not know how the formulas work/reference, but leaving the formula intact gives the opportunity to understand what the result should be. CHANGING the formula should NEVER be an automatic option by the software!!!!!

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. sub catogories in excel (Money)

Unable to create the sub-categories under Category in Money in excel application.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. continuous scrolling

Continuous horizontal scrolling. Currently, horizontal scrolling automatically snaps to the next column which is incredibly inconvenient when trying to change the column width by dragging as I am unable to click and drag the edge of the column.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. money in excel

Allow for future cashflow view. It would be great to see if I have enough money in a single bank account for the future transactions I have for the month (or further into the future). This allows me to see my future cashflow predictions which are not like having a budget. This is the one single feature that Tiller doesn't have, Money in Excel doesn't have and I have jerry-rigged in YNAB. This would include a view by bank with a balance column. I created this myself by adding a tab and using a combination of the 'unique' and 'filter'…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base