Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add number format for thousandth (K$) or millions (M$)

Could you please add the number format K for thousandth and M for millions (like 5.8 K instead of 5812)
    It would be very helpful.
    Thanks

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to program images showing in a cell based on the text in another cell

I would love to see a formula to input an image in a cell based on the text in another cell. For instance, if cell A1 has the number 10 then I could input a picture of a 10 in cell b1. This would be very useful in doing dashboarding and reporting in excel when executives want to see things like colored arrows based on how things are trending instead of just text saying the project is green and trending upward.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add a BETWEEN function & operator

The BETWEEN function is in Microsoft Access, it should also be in Excel. And one could use the operator >< to represent it. So you would have:

=15>A1<25 or =BETWEEN(A1,15,25)
    ="A">A1<"C" or BETWEEN(A1,"D","L")
    =DATE(2020,1,1)>A1<DATE(2020,4,5) or BETWEEN(A1,DATE(2020,1,1)DATE(2020,4,5))

wildcard (*, ?, and ~) could be applied:

="D">A1<"L??" or BETWEEN(A1,"D","L??")

Use the same definition of BETWEEN as MS Access.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Insert data from picture should be implemented on desktop, and it should read PDF's

Surely you must be aware that this is easily in the top five annoying requests that competent excel users receive from.. other excel users. Why would you not implement this feature to read tables from PDF's in excel proper?!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Please, please, PLEASE add double strikethrough to Excel!!!

Please add double strikethrough to Excel. I've often wished that it was available in Excel as it is in Word. It seems if it's available in Word, it'd be easy enough to add it to Excel.

Please consider this addition.

Thanks!!!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add a formula formatter (similar to PowerApps)

PowerApps has a great feature that allows you to format (and un-format) a formula with the press of a button to help make it more readable.

Excel need the same.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Ability to paste to filtered (visible) cells

PROBLEM: Excel's PASTE (ctrl-V) operation does not distinguish between filtered and unfiltered cells, even though its COPY (ctrl-C) operation copies filtered (visible) cells.

SOLUTIONS:
    * Enhance PASTE SPECIAL (ctrl-alt-V) to support the ability to paste into only filtered (visible) cells.
    * Add a user option to support this default PASTE action.

BENEFITS:
    * Eliminates the danger of pasting into a filtered area without realizing the problem. This is a very common problem with users new to Excel. Even experienced users must be constantly aware of this problem.
    * Addresses a problem for which there is no good workaround. All VBA…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Formula Colors

There is a red opening parenthesis and a red closing parenthesis.

Can we do some stronger highlighting instead of text color?

Maybe space out the parenthesis?

Maybe give a background color?

Maybe invert the entire formula bar to a black color, so the formula colors stand out more?

Maybe have collapsible formulas?

Maybe have a live preview?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Improve the EDATE function to allow for other time periods.

Currently the EDATE function only accepts a number of months to advance from the start date. Obviously adding days can be done with a simple addition, but may require additional logic to accommodate leap years. Similarly, years can be done by using a multiple of 12 months, however this leads to use of constants in formulae which is not best practice.

In order to maintain backwards compatibility, suggest either adding EDAY, EWEEK, EFORTNIGHT, EMONTH, EYEAR; or EDATE.DAY, EDATE.YEAR and so on; or add a third optional argument to EDATE where month is the default, but can be changed to other…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Pivot Table Management

It would be nice to have a way to manage multiple pivot tables similar to the way the name manager works, with a possible error log, in the case of overlapping or missing source data

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Show Tables in Power Query when opening an xlsb file

When using Power Query / Get Data to open .xlsx files and .xlsm files, the Tables present in those files are shown in a list.
    When opening a .xlsb file only Sheets are shown and not any of the Tables present within the file.

If there is only one table on a sheet, AND it starts in cell A1, then it is relatively easy to still load the data, but where there are multiple tables per sheet, OR the tables don't start in A1, then there is a lot of unnecessary work deleting Rows and or Columns to obtain your…

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add Dividend Data to Stock Data Type

It would be helpful to include the dividend amount per share and ex-dividend date with the stock data type.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Scroll by pixel, not by cell.

If you have large cells, scrolling becomes impossible. The page always snaps to the top of a cell. Even if my cells are small enough for me to read them fully, scrolling through them leaves me disoriented and I keep loosing track where I am on the sheet. I see no reason not to scroll by pixel instead of by cell.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Generate QR-code in the worksheet

I would love to see a way to generate QR-codes based on data in the workbook.

Could be by a formula or something else.
    =qr(b1)
    =qr('www.microsoft.com')
    etc.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add Reference R1C1 in the list of commands for the QAT

Sometimes it's interesting to display number as column header instead of the letter.
    The only way to do that now is to change the options Formula to R1C1
    I would like to toogle the reference of my workbook by adding an option in the Quick Access Toolbar. But this option doesn't exist yet.

So please vote for this idea is you want to toogle quickly the reference A1 to R1C1

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Stop formatting all numbers as dates, as users have been requesting since the 1990s

Automatic date formatting is not useful except for data entry, and it makes use of Excel for anything but the simplest processes a royal pain. Users have been requesting a way to switch this off for DECADES, but all they get in response is some unpaid "MVP" telling them how to use apostrophes.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Cross positional orientation in Excel.

Please create a pointer position (the cross position in the entire row and column) for orientation in Excel. - see picture
    Position history with the ability to go back to the previous position in table. Inserting the sum from the status bar into the clipboard.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. I need to add cell 1a and cell 2A minus 3A minus 4a minus 5a minus 6a minus 7a minus 8a minus equil 9a

I need to add cells and then delete cells to come up with a balance of zero. 1+2-3-4-5=0. I am using windows 10 excell.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Date formating

Don't have it change the ******* date format to anything other than what I have typed into the block.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base