Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add cell reference to Data Validation Messages (Input Message, Error Alert)

Please add the ability to use cell references or formulas in the Data Validation Messages (Input Message, Error Alert).
    This would make possible to use variable contents.

Thanks,
    Fernando Fernandes

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Insert data from picture should be implemented on desktop, and it should read PDF's

Surely you must be aware that this is easily in the top five annoying requests that competent excel users receive from.. other excel users. Why would you not implement this feature to read tables from PDF's in excel proper?!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Power Query Active Directory Feature

Hi All,

I tried to use Active directory feature of Power Query but still not able to find any solution in any forum to speed up the downloading data.

I have more than ~300,000 records to import (i.e. Distribution list contains each member list) from Active directory but it takes 12-~14 hrs to import using Power Query.

Can we look into this feature why there is so much time taken by Power Query and How we optimize the same ?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Please answer

I post yesterday. but i want to know more(why this gave wrong answer) .Please check attached excel file (in sheets("result") column "H"--> why this formula give different result ( it is not array)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Zoom tool for graphs

Excel is great for quickly plotting and looking at data. But it falls short when the user wants to view a specific region in a graph or chart. The only way I know how to do this is to change the axes to 'force' zoom-in on a region, which is very clunky and slow. It would greatly improve the users ability to look at specific regions of the data quickly if there was a zoom in/out tool (similar to MATLAB's implementation) in the side toolbar that appears when hovering over the chart. Additionally, having a hand tool that, when zoomed…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow for a transparent Manual vs. Automatic Calculation setting by workbook vs. a global setting.

When you have one calculation-heavy workbook and distribute it to other people, it would be best if you could turn off calculation for only that workbook, without affecting the other workbooks these users are working on. It is confusing and outright dangerous in potential consequences that suddenly their workbooks do not calculate anymore. On the other hand, if the calculation is on, their whole excel freezes for a considerable amount of time every few keystrokes.

Suggestion: Allow for a transparent Manual vs. Automatic Calculation setting by workbook vs. a global setting.
    There should be a popup when you open the…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Bring back multiple sheets in one excel instance. 2016 is brutal without it.

Bring back multiple sheets in one excel instance. 2016 is brutal without it.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bug: wrong data from OLAP source

Incorrect values of dimension in pivot table sourced on OLAP cube (Microsoft SSAS 11.0.5569.0). The latest version without that bug is 16.0.6001.1068. Obviously we don’t know exact source of this bug, but most of the issues we discovered were on complex pivot tables with many attributes, partially displayed dimension’s hierarchy and without subtotals. Example of this bug occurring is in attached file ExcelBug. There are 2 exactly the same pivot tables (the table on the right hand side is basically copy of the table on the left hand side). After removing “Grand Total” on the table on the right hand…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. date picker

we can use date picker control to select the dates

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. other languges then english

I use hebrew as a second language. and when i try to auto fill, excel doesn't understand to auto fill hebrew alphabet, months, days of week etc. i guess that the same problem applies to users of other second languages.
    it would be a great idea for excel to improve that. especially for right to left languages where its very important
    thanks
    i hope you will improve it the fastest possible

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add Dividend Data to Stock Data Type

It would be helpful to include the dividend amount per share and ex-dividend date with the stock data type.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Formula that lets you replicate the formatting of a reference cell

Excel should create a formula that would allow the user to specify a reference cell whose format you want to copy.

For example, I should be able to create a formula in cell A1 of Sheet 1 that refers to A1 of Sheet 2 such that Cell A1 of Sheet 1 will replicate the formatting of A1 on Sheet 2 [e.g. =Formatcopy(Sheet2!A1) or =Formatcopy(Sheet2!A1)*Shee2!A1] .

Alternatively, if you have a formula with multiple reference cells, it would be helpful to be able to specify a single reference cell whose formatting you would like to use. For example, if I have…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. How about a searchable dropdown list on data validation?

How about a searchable dropdown list on data validation?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. HEY FUCKFACES AT FUCK_MICROSOFT- STOP ASKING TO SAVE EXCEL DOCUMENTS WHEN NO CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE.

HEY FUCKFACES AT FUCK_MICROSOFT- STOP ASKING TO SAVE EXCEL DOCUMENTS WHEN NO CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Show recently used fonts in the Fonts Dropdown

Applying a font from the dropdown list of fonts would be much easier if the most recently used fonts are shown at the top.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add eyedropper to excel

Add eyedropper functionality in Excel.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add ppm cell formatting just like % cell formatting

Just like % cell formatting multiply 100 and add "%" at the end,

We need ppm cell formatting that multiply 1,000,000 and add "ppm" at the end

This is a highly required feature on fields such as Quality Control and Production Management.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Enable Named Range Re-Naming In Named Range Dropdown

When I mistakenly enter a new range name in the Range Name drop down, I cannot edit this range name until going into the Name Manager. Provide ability to overwrite the existing range name, in the same maner as when entering a new range name.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. STOP ADDING FORMULAS WHEN YOU THINK I WANT ONE. FUCK_YOU. YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT I AM DOING.

STOP ADDING FORMULAS WHEN YOU THINK I WANT ONE. FUCK_YOU. YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT I AM DOING.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base