Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. add cell functions that can be reused like real formulas or VBA code

A range would be marked as a cell function.
    Cell functions are run when they are called by other cells, not just once an update.
    The inputs to the cell function are copied to the function when it is called by the cellfunction function.
    The output of the cell function is copied to the output cell (the one calling the cellfunction function) when the function is complete.

cell functions can call any function except cellfunction. They can only use data that is passed to them, and they only return data to the cellfunction function.

See mockup.
    Doing this will allow…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. add cell functions that can be reused like real formulas or VBA code

A range would be marked as a cell function.
    Cell functions are run when they are called by other cells, not just once an update.
    The inputs to the cell function are copied to the function when it is called by the cellfunction function.
    The output of the cell function is copied to the output cell (the one calling the cellfunction function) when the function is complete.

cell functions can call any function except cellfunction. They can only use data that is passed to them, and they only return data to the cellfunction function.

See mockup.
    Doing this will allow…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. One suggestion to Excel Group and Ungroup function

Hello! As an active Excel user, I have noted one possible useful addition to the functionality of Excel sheets. When demonstrating presentations and having some lines/columns grouped and hidden on the active sheet it would be useful to have an option to set a password for unhiding lines/columns with secret information (for example salary details). We had some occasions when such information was opened just by unintentionally tapping on (+) sign near the hided grouped raws.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Warning popup or Highlight for column with space in data for few cells

Just like outlook pops up with warning for attachment before sending, we can have a warning pop-up or a simple highlight to columns which have data with spaces where other data in maximum cells in same column is without spaces. This would reduce multiple steps to validate rework trim. In one click we should auto correct and get rid of all such common errors in working

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix issue with not being able to set NumberFormat for DataLabels in Treemap chart

Fix issue with not being able to set NumberFormat for DataLabels in Treemap chart. Cannot set number format for series in Treemap charts but can for all other chart types.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. I wish to rank each number within a group of numbers in a column.

I wish to select a group of numbers, then display the rank of each number in the column next to it. At the moment the RANK.EQ function only allows me to do this one number at a time. You can't even use FILL DOWN without the formula mucking up.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. I wish to rank each number within a group of numbers in a column.

I wish to select a group of numbers, then display the rank of each number in the column next to it. At the moment the RANK.EQ function only allows me to do this one number at a time. You can't even use FILL DOWN without the formula mucking up.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. How to convert number in word in o365

How to convert number in word in o365 excel

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Output file creation

User should input data through excel cell and output should be provided with fixed length as per prescribed by user.Condition is that even if there less entry in the cell by user but output should be provide fixed length as prescribed

example
    input cell - Name (10 characters)
    output cell in fixed length (15 characters)

excel shall automatically fill 5 character and provide output in 15 character fixed length TEXT file(*.txt)

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. OLM to Gmail Migration Tool

If you want to migrate OLM to Gmail then you can try third-party software like OLM to Gmail Migration Tool. The user can make use of OLM to Gmail importer application it can simply make the OLM data imported directly imported into your chosen Gmail account without facing any kind of error. To get more information about the tool you can visit here:- https://www.kdetools.com/olm/gmail/

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. support paper size A0

A0 A1 A2 paper size and custom paper size needed in order to use excel effectively

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow FMT=TabDelimited in ACE.OLEDB Extended Properties

Current FMT only allows Comma Delimited (.csv).
    To specify tab separated values (.tab) files we have to create a schema.ini for each individual import file specifying Format=TabDelimited which is a pain.
    Please allow TabDelimited as an option.
    While you're at it, consider SemiColonDelimited too.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Lotus Notes to Outlook converter tool

Nowadays, it tends to be hectic to discover the adequate Lotus Notes to Outlook converter because lots and lots of software are being inaugurated in the market.
    But SysInspire has proved it's worth in this competitive era.

The SysInspire Lotus Notes to Outlook converter is the guaranteed and worthy to use application that perfectly converts the Lotus Notes to Outlook format keeping all its database intact.

Follow the below-given steps to import Lotus Notes to Outlook:-

● Firstly, install the SysInspire Lotus Notes to Outlook.
    ● Click on add NSF file option.
    ● Choose the NSF file and click on…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. SALUTATIONS / WELCOME NOTE

Excel Vba Code To Analyze The System Time And Show a “MsgBox” With Below Salutations Good Morning, Good Noon, Good Afternoon, Good Evening & Good Night.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Highlight Row OR Column OR Both when i move cursor as a toggle on/off feature

When i move through the sheet, i would like a Highlight Row OR Column OR Both when i move cursor as a toggle on/off feature, to look at data on the same row and same column as my cursor. It will really help when we are studying a sheet

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Excel bussy issue when we not working.

Hello Team, when we stop working for few second it go in bussy or not responding mode. then we need to wait till excel wake up. some times it takes long time to move the arrow or move to next cell. in this case I disconnect network but some times it work some time it won't. Thanks.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Make an adjustable limit for how often users are required to enter a password when editing locked cells on a protected sheet.

The current feature only requires one entry of the password. Then the user can edit the cell freely.
    For the security of complex formulas, it would be helpful to have an option where specified, or all, users are required to enter the password to edit a locked cell every time they leave the cell after editing (i.e. users must enter password to edit locked cells every: "30 seconds", "1 minute", "2 minutes", "Always", "Only Once").
    Sure you can ctrl+z if you mess up the formula while entering data but in high information spreadsheets its easy to accidentally enter data into…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. I think that arrays should be able to pass in expressions

In Excel there has been a bunch of Array work done. I think we should be able to pass expressions into an array...

Something like this:
    ={sum(1,2,3),count(1,2,3),average(1,2,3)}

so that I can dynamically generate a spill out list of expressions or perform a "lookup" function to dynamically select an expression to run within a cell by array position

=lookup(2,{sum(1,2,3),count(1,2,3),average(1,2,3)})
    this expression would evaluate like this:

=lookup(2,{6,count(1,2,3),average(1,2,3)})
    =lookup(2,{6,3,average(1,2,3)})
    =lookup(2,{6,3,2})
    =3

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. excel sheet for network rack

Hi Im working in Datacenter, i used to feed the device mounted in rack in excel sheet. If Network diagram mapping with respective device is available means it would be great for me.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Reduce / Eliminate Fragmentation of Conditional Formatting.

If I copy a cell that has Conditional Formatting and what to copy the CF to the destination then Excel records this as a new Instance of the Rule. If the cell has multiple Conditional Formats and is copied to many non-contiguous cells then very soon there is a mess in the Conditional Format windows.
    If I then want to edit a rule I have multiple instances that I need to edit.

Suggestion - List the ranges of all cells associated with the rule in eth one place. this would Solve Both Problems

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base