Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. How to lock shapes that surround a pivot slicer but don't disable slicer

I have a dashboard where I have shapes that surround my slicers to make it more visually appealing. I don't want the end user to move or edit the shapes and the slicers. I've also grouped the shapes and slicers together.

When I select the area that surrounds the shapes and slicers I use the 'review' tab and then select protect worksheet. Inside the protect worksheet dialog box I have selected the following:

Select locked cells
    select unlocked cells
    Use Pivot Table & PivotChart

I've also gone into the 'Format Slicer' options and under Position & Layout I've selected 'disable…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Be able to select template for a new workbook with the keyboard or at least have them displayed as a list rather than as thumbnails

I have dozens of templates and I know their names, but because the templates are only displayed as thumbnails arranged alphabetically, to use the ones that start with letters like "U" takes multiple mouse clicks. Like it was in previous versions, I would like to be able to start typing the name and get a very limited list of templates (eventually down to one) to select.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add number formats for just hours for calculating time elapsed

When calculating time elapsed, I would like a format option for the answer to show up in just hours instead of hours and minutes. Right now, 7:00 am to 3:30 pm will result in a time elapsed of 8:30. (hours and minutes) I would like an option for it to show up as 8.5 (hours only). This will help in calculating payroll.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow for editing fractional seconds (hh:mm:ss.000)

If we enter time with fractional seconds, e.g. 12:34:56.789, we are unable to edit the fractional seconds later. Worse: any attempt to edit the cell changes the cell value to time rounded to the second (12:34:57), unless we are careful to press ESC instead of Enter. The problem is: the Formula Bar and Edit Directly In Cell only present time rounded to the second, regardless of the cell format.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Create a new orientation in data bar (up to down, down to up)

The current model Data bars in the conditioning format allow just you decide to change the orientation left to right or right to left. Is it possible to get this data bars orientation up to down or down to up. Thank you.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add an IFERROR to VBA

An easier "IFERROR" function. If there's an error, then do something, otherwise use the original formula; shouldn't have to enter the same formula twice.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Dedicated Tickmark Ribbon Financial Analysis/Auditing

Make a dedicated Ribbon that contains tick-marks used by every financial analyst as well as auditors. This Ribbon would also have the ability to document what each tick-mark represents in a "legend" of sorts. We use Excel everyday all day and I find myself searching through fonts and conditional formatting icons for the right level of them. For example, I wanted to have a conditional formatting rule that had 6 icons but i am limited to this and had to create a work around for this and ultimately we moved over to another tool that was able to customize icons.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add "LeftOf" and "RightOf" text functions

Would love to see one function that returns all text from the left (or right) of a specified character. As it is now, you must know the number of chars you want to return.

LeftOf(text,string,num)
    text is the text or cell you are manipulating
    string is the char or chars you are looking for
    num is the occurrence of string from the left (1st, 2nd, etc)

A2 = "Excel is a great utility"
    LeftOf(A2," ",3) = "Excel is a"
    RightOf(A2,"a",1) = "t utility"

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Fix the ease to cancel password protection of individual sheets and adding MAC verification

It is so easy to cancel password protection of excel sheets. There are several methods you can find through Google search. I emphasize I'm talking about password protecting individual sheets and not the whole file...
    I use password protection to protect my software, which is implemented in an excel xlsx file, from being hacked and copied.
    Maybe you can fix this by better hiding the password tag or by adding an external tool that prevents deleting the password protection from the xlsx file?
    You can then charge people who forgot their password and need your help to recover access to…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Have a grater variety of controls to include on forms

I use forms a lot, however, there are not as much controls on the control palette like on the past. For example the date picker control...

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Respect Columns when Copying and pasting a table from a table or web site

When copying tables from a web site or other table, and pasting into an Excel Spreadsheet, the data is all put in one column. It should be pasted into separate columns. The workaround is to copy and paste one column at a time is quite cumbersome and sometimes does not work if there are blank cells.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. I have trouble with the program crashing pretty much daily

Excel frequently stops working can't seems to see a pattern to it right now. It is extremely frustrating

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Having to click the 'Enable content' button every time I open a worksheet is driving me bonkers! How do we turn it OFF?

This just seems to be a big waste of time and I don't need this feature. I want to be able to disable it.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Built-in function version of Histogram. I made my own with formulas, but would prefer not to have to.

I constructed a histogram-calculator, so that it automatically updates, but it's curious such a function is not built-in.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. allow for does not equal for auto-filter, when inserting into VBA

Hello.
    Over the years, I've found that I needed a filter, which I could modify, using VBA, that would allow me to filter more than a single component when I'd activate it. Last year, I posted on the MSDN-Excel for Developers forum, and one member gave me a sample which I modified, and got to work for my purposes.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2e738c1e-ca46-4511-8d93-4ba870468aea/multifilter?forum=exceldev

I took his sample, made the changes, and now have an excellent filter tool (I posted my final solution, and have made several using different numbers of components), and thanks to VBA, I can add, remove, increase, reduce, etc... my…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Range.Value and Range.Value2 should work for non-contiguous ranges

Range.Value and Range.Value2 will return the values of only the first area in a range if the range has multiple areas.

If you are using, for example, SpecialCells to get the visible cells in a range, the range can have multiple areas and we should be able to use Range.Value and Range.Value2 to get all the visible cells values as an array instead of just getting them for the first area in the range.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Selection border is too hard to grab to move.

On my desktop the active area is one pixel wide-extremely painful to hit when dragging a lot of data! Ended up moving workflow back to ctr+c/ctr+v. Same problem as: https://www.syncfusion.com/forums/25134/thicker-excel-selection-border

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

What type of deeper integration for charting are you looking for? Currently, most of the UI is shared and they use the same charting engine.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base