Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Anchor period during formula entry.

Upon upgrading to Excel version l 365 16.0.11328, I lost the ability to anchor formula ranges with the period key instead of the colon. Prior to this version, hitting the period would insert a colon so that I could complete a cell range. Could this functionality be added back to the "Transition Navigation Keys" option?

Having started with Lotus 123 back in the 1980's, I still use "Transition Navigation Keys." Using the period during formula entry has become second nature and is embedded in my muscle memory. Please kindly consider this for your more "seasoned" Excel users.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Link workbook to an Access database to use Excel as front-end GUI.

Let's be up front...
    MS Excel's database functionality is lacking. MS Access' reporting/GUI functionality is severely lacking. Why not create the ability to unite the two?

Excel's worksheet grid UI rocks for data presentation, especially for ease of use. The closest thing in Access to Excel's grid is the data sheet. Well... the data sheet stinks, like a dead carcus. Let's not even get into Access' poor and sorry reporting features - or lack thereof. Because we can create awesome user forms in Excel, how about the ability to create a table in an excel worksheet and link that table…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Increase the series limit or develop a new chart

I feel like I am talking to a machine which is giving me answers to questions I have not asked, and then I get another sales pitch before you have done anything, and then other terms and conditions which were not provided before my payment and which I do NOT accept. I am not impressed. Also, there is no information about your process until I pay more.

I am attaching the files for you to have a look at and then give me a recommendation: there is an Excel example and short description of the problem.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add a Reporting Ribbon to Excel to consolidate and highlight the amazing capabilities of Power Query and Power Pivot

Tables, Power Query, Power Pivot and Pivot Tables are amazing tools that will transform the way people build their reports, but only once they know about them!

Let's SHOUT about how good these things are and how well they work together by putting them onto a single new Ribbon called "Reporting" - something like the attached image.

247 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Option to highlight the row or cell where your cursor is located.

Currently there is only a line around the row number or the cell.

E.g., you are on row 12 or on row 12, column L, the entire row or a cell will highlight in a pale color different than the worksheet. This would work well for those who have 10 or more columns going across. The end-user could choose a color and it could be a toggle for those who do not opt to have the row/cell highlighted.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Asterisk in title bar next to filename to denote changes have been made without saving

Asterisk in title bar next to filename to denote changes have been made without saving

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. LEAVE THE **** NUMLOCK ON

LEAVE THE **** NUMLOCK ON

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Ticket #12395436 - Excel arabic

Hi, we experience an issue with MS Excel and the arabic language pack: User does right click on desktop and selects new Excel Workbook. New Workbook opens and first column A is on the right of the sheet and title of the sheet is arabic. If user just starts excel and creates a new workbook within excel all is working as expected, only if user selects new workbook from right click to desktop this happens. We installed the arabic language pack and this seems to affect the default template of excel.

The same issue is already reported for Office2007 and…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Be able to use user-defined Power Query functions in Excel formulas

Power Query has a few advantages over VBA for creating user-defined functions for use in Excel formulas:

• Power Query produces shorter code that is faster and easier to write. This is largely thanks to Power Query native supporting tables, lists, and records; having many built-in functions to work with these data types; and supporting first-class functions and higher-order functions, which eliminates repetitive code and grants the programmer more expressive power than VBA.

• The Power Query GUI produces code that is closer to ideal than the VBA code that the Macro Recorder produces. Power Query also shows your recorded…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Not everything has to be a video in help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Improve Help. Go back to the old way!!!!!!!
    Not everything has to be a video!!!!!!!!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Microsoft Query - Some functions are not translated correctly

There are two functions in Microsoft Query:

"Cancel and Return to Microsoft Excel" and
    "Return Data to Microsoft Excel"

It would be nice if these two functions were translated into the respective language.

For example: In the German language package, these functions are in English.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Toggle Relative/Absolute for Structured References

When referencing a table column, it's cumbersome to add the additional square brackets and repeat the column name to make the reference absolute.

It'd be great if the F4 shortcut could also work in this, so toggling
    tablename[ColName] --> tablename[[ColName]:[ColName]] --> tablename[ColName], or, when referencing the same row from within the table,
    @[ColName] --> [@[ColName]:[ColName]] --> @[ColName]

Many thanks,

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Protecting Sheets / Workbooks with Password - can't see password

When protecting sheets / worksheets with a password, there is no "eye" icon to display the password so you can verify that you've typed it in correctly. It would be great to have this function to help reduce errors and reduce the risk of locking yourself out of a file.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Named conditional formatting rules

Named conditional formatting rules - If you could name your rules they would be easier to identify. Also, it would be nice if you could right click a cell and have a choice to add it to a named conditional formatting rule. Excel would need to be intelligent enough to be able to add the cell or group of cells to the rule correctly.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Directions from 0 to 2pi 1)atan(x,y) 2)atan(E,N) and from -pi to +pi 3)atan2(x,y)

1)atan(x,y)=pi-pi/2*(1+sgn(x))*(1-sgn(y^2))-pi/4*(2+sgn(x))*sgn(y)

-sign(x*y)*atan((abs(x)-abs(y))/(abs(x)+abs(y))) when x=x2-x1 ,y=y2-y1

2)atan(E,N)=pi-pi/2*(1+sgn(N))*(1-sgn(E^2))-pi/4*(2+sgn(N))*sgn(E)

-sgn(N*E)*atan((abs(N)-abs(E))/(abs(N)+abs(E))) when N=N2-N1 ,E=E2-E1

3)atan2(x,y)=pi/2*(1-sgn(x))*(1-sgn(y^2))+pi/4*(2-sgn(x))*sgn(y)

-sgn(x*y)*atan((abs(x)-abs(y))/(abs(x)+abs(y))) when x=x2-x1 ,y=y2-y1

The above fuctions give the directions in the 4 quadrans for all the pairs of dx and dy.

For dx=dy=0 the result is indefinite .

87 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Watermark in Excel workbook

Idea of insertion/ removal of Watermark in the excel sheet like in word is likely for some creative work

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Data types - Please add an option for hiding/unhiding the icon

Hi there,
    I would like to suggest to have an option, working on a workbook level, to hide/unhide the icons for cells having data types.
    When, for example, printing a report, there may be no need to print out the icons, as only the information is relevant.
    May be it would be possible to have a such option in the page layout tab, like for the gridlines?
    Best,
    Mourad

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Excel is wrong in calculating -x^2

If you type in for example =-6^2, Excel gives you 36. This is incorrect. Excel is assuming you mean =(-6)^2. But -6^2 is different.

You can see this when you factorise. -6^2 = (-6)*(+6) = -36.

Whereas (-6)^2 = (-6)*(-6)=36.

Now if you type in = 0-6^2, only then does it give you the correct answer of -36.

This error goes against millennia of algebraic convention.

Plot the graph y=-x^2-7x-12 and then plot y=-7x-x^2-12. These two expressions are identical, yet Excel gives very different traces (the latter of the two gives the correct graph).

Another way to correct -x^2 would…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. COLUMNA() returns the letter(s) where as COLUMN() returns a number

column() is great, as usually we want the column NUMBER

BUT when you want the column LETTER(s), something like

COLUMNA()

could return it.

I know you can use
    =SUBSTITUTE(ADDRESS(1,COLUMN(A1),4),"1","")
    but it's pretty long-winded...

to clarify
    =COLUMN(AB1) returns 28
    =COLUMNA(AB1) returns AB

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base