Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix this problem: "sometimes you might find yourself with a workbook that has links you can’t find even though Excel tells you they exist. "

Fix this ridiculous problem: "Sometimes you might find yourself with a workbook that has links you can’t find even though Excel tells you they exist."

58 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

8 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add a Reporting Ribbon to Excel to consolidate and highlight the amazing capabilities of Power Query and Power Pivot

Tables, Power Query, Power Pivot and Pivot Tables are amazing tools that will transform the way people build their reports, but only once they know about them!

Let's SHOUT about how good these things are and how well they work together by putting them onto a single new Ribbon called "Reporting" - something like the attached image.

157 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. provide a way to comment on previous suggestions in this suggestion box not just vote :)

This Suggestion Box is a great Idea.

But., we need a way to express our views on Previous Suggestions.

Voting is Nice; But, Clarifying and Justifying are better :)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Automatically Change Range Names' Spaces to Underscores

When pasting or typing a new name into the Defined Name New Name dialog, it is faster and easier to write table names with spaces. However, spaces are not permitted in table names. Therefore, the spaces should be automagically converted to underscore characters.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Turn OFF AutoSave feature permanently

I'm frequently using saved files as templates. With the new AutoSave function my old files get overwritten as soon as I start editing the file. I have to save the new one immediately with another name otherwise I'll loose the old one. This is annoying.
    Pleas allow to deactivate AutoSave function in the Option settings.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Power Query Time Stamp of last updated Data

Hi All,

I import data using Power Query from multiple resources and Lots of time I have seen in Power Query that even though we click on Refresh All still not all tables refreshes the data in Power Query Editor.

So I am looking for feature of option in Power Query that shows last data import date. So that user easily know if all the resources have been updated or not or when it last refreshed ?

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Leave the fucking_numlock on. FUCKING_GODDAMN_YOU MICROSOFT.

Leave the fucking_numlock on. FUCKING_GODDAMN_YOU MICROSOFT.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Evaluate Formula Readability

There needs to be a huge update regarding the Evaluate Formula.
    I'm sure those using this feature are not trying to see simple calculations done.

For me, I might create a report that has a cell calculate multiple IFs within IFs that have embedded functions.

with this in mind, it would be a huge advantage to the user if the Evaluate Formula has the following upgrades:

1. able to expand the window.
    the window currently is too small and only allows to view simple calculations.

2. color code what is being calculated.
    with everything being the same color it is…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Default Note Size and Shortcut Keys for Resizing Note and Note Panel

The note shows up too small. I would like a much larger default note size. I see no way to set a default size.

Along the same lines, I would like to be able to resize the note with the keyboard. Resizing with the mouse is tricky and time consuming.

Somewhat related, I would like the option of not having the user's name at the start of the note. I do no share the workbook and putting my name at the start of each note takes up space or requires delection.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. conditional formatting window

Make the conditional formatting Window re-sizeable. And give us a possibility to select more than one rule to delete them. Thank you

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. leave the ******* NUMlock active

leave the ******* NUMlock active

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow Data Validation List function to use the new "UNIQUE" formula

The new "UNIQUE" feature is fantastic and it would be fantastic if you could use this function to create a dynamic list in a data validation list using indirect, rather than creating a separate dynamic list using the unique function and then creating a dynamic named range for this and then using the indirect function in a data validation list.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Dynamic Arrays, Spill range format

When a Spill range changes (eg due to the source data changing) it would be nice if any Formatting that is applied to the Spill Formula Cell is also applied to the entire Spill Range.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. STOP_JIGGLING_THE_FUCKING_SCREEN_WHEN_SCROLLING. FUCK_YOU_MICROSOFT.

STOP_JIGGLING_THE_FUCKING_SCREEN_WHEN_SCROLLING. FUCK_YOU_MICROSOFT.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Alt+ shortcuts are stuck/hanging in the ribbon and require a mouse click to continue. Have tried endless options to no avail.

All of my ALT+ shortcuts are not working properly. For example ALT+H+H+N to remove fill on a cell does the following: the execution is preformed, the fill is removed, but my selection remains on the home tab of the ribbon and does not allow me to continue navigating the sheet. This is true for all ALT+ shortcuts, and randomly started occurring today. I have tried repairing, reinstalling, restarting, etc. etc.etc.

I rely heavily on ALT shortcuts as Im not one to constantly click the ribbon tools.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Please Please Please Bring Back MDI. SDI simply doesn't support the types of applications I have spent my career developing in Excel

Please bring back MDI for Excel. SDI is really slow, and crashes when I run the apps I've developed over my career that rely on multiple workbooks loaded simultaneously. Or re release 2010 and just call it the version for the folks who rely on MDI and there are a lot of us!!!!!!

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Toggle Relative/Absolute for Structured References

When referencing a table column, it's cumbersome to add the additional square brackets and repeat the column name to make the reference absolute.

It'd be great if the F4 shortcut could also work in this, so toggling
    tablename[ColName] --> tablename[[ColName]:[ColName]] --> tablename[ColName], or, when referencing the same row from within the table,
    @[ColName] --> [@[ColName]:[ColName]] --> @[ColName]

Many thanks,

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Find/Replace fails when multiple worksheets selected in Excel 365 (version 1902)

I selected multiple sheets and I tried to replace the "=" character with "eq=" in all the selected worksheets at one time. Since the 8/2019 version 1902 update, this find replace didn't work. Only some of the "=" characters were replaced.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. upgrade vlookup() (and hlookup()) so that you can provide the column header text instead of column number. i.e. database search - dget()

Excel has the DGET() function that allows a database search. You give the name of the column it should find the match in, and the name of the column where the value should be returned to. If vlookup can be upgraded to be similar, then it will be much more powerful:

Example:
    newVlookup(value, data range, match column, return column, match type)

newVlookup(Sheet1!A1,Sheet2!A:E,"Order Number", "Order Description", false)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Enable Excel to send a Task to Outlook

Some users use Excel for tracking of various tasks or operational reviews. At the end, follow-up minutes and tasks will have to be created. It would be great to have a function like in OneNote to create a Task in Outlook. Information about Due Date and Assignee should be embeddable into the cell with a little popup window.
    When in Outlook, you should be able to click the task and go back to the Excel document (and specific cell) stored on the SharePoint.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base