Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Find/Replace fails when multiple worksheets selected in Excel 365 (version 1902)

I selected multiple sheets and I tried to replace the "=" character with "eq=" in all the selected worksheets at one time. Since the 8/2019 version 1902 update, this find replace didn't work. Only some of the "=" characters were replaced.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please make it easier for the eye to spot the active cell. The thin green lines are too hard to spot.

Give us the possibility to change the background color, of the active cell, to any color suites the user.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. vlookup case sensitive

very simple,VLOOKUPs are case insensitive, VLOOKUPS should be case sensitive. One use case are Salesforce reports. They produce 15 character Ids that require case sensitivity functionality in order lookup against.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Improve VBA protection

it is not a secret that the VBA protection password is very weak, it is very frustrating that I can't defend properly a sensitive code in the one of the biggest and popular software (Excel) in the world.
    improving VBA protection is a game changer for lots of people.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Please Allow Keyboard Shortcut Customizations In Excel.

Surprisingly Customizations In Keyboard Shortcuts Are Allowed For Excel In Mac And Not Windows Even When Both Excel And Windows Are Microsoft Trademark.
    Please Add Feature To Allow Keyboard Customizations To Excel As In Work For Aiding Ease Of Access To Various Commands As Per User Preferences.
    Thanks.

356 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

42 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Disable the Clipboard Warning when you exit Excel - This is really annoying

This clipboard warning is only rarely relevant and incredibly annoying. Please add a clipboard option to disable the clipboard warning when you close a file.

I have been using Excel every day for decades and never once needed this warning. It is very annoying when you are trying to move through files quickly.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Modificación para función LET(...)

Buen Día.
    Sobre la función LET().
    ¡Por favor les suplico que añadan un primer argumento NombreDeLaFormula!
    LET(NombreDeLaFormula;Variable;Valor;...;Formula)
    De esta forma sería posible hacer referencia a ella en otras fórmulas por su nombre y además da una pista imprescindible para poder entender mejor de que va dicha fórmula sin tener que asignar un nombre a la referencia.
    Con ello quedaría "casi" perfecta.
    =LET(VolumenParalelepipedo;x;VarAncho;y;VarLargo;z;VarAlto;x * y * z)
    =LET(x;VarAncho;y;VarLargo;z;VarAlto;VolumenParalelepipedo;x * y * z)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Standard Date Formats

I would think most people using spreadsheets would want dates in a column to line up evenly whether the month or day has 1 number or 2. Example....in order to have 1/5/2019 line up evenly with 10/15/2020, I have to create a custom format every day. So what I am suggesting is for mm/dd/yyyy to be added to the standard date formats, or at a minimum the custom format I set up should remain permanently in the list of my custom formats. It is exasperating to have to recreate this very simple format multiple times a day, every day.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Could you give people the option of turning off autoformatting of dates when typing ranges such as 1-10 or fractions like 1/2?

When typing a range of numbers such as 1-10, Excel automatically interprets this input as January 10. That's fine for people who type a lot of dates, but can be quite annoying if that's not what a person is trying to type. Could you please implement an option for someone to turn this off if they wish?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Copy multi-line text from Excel and paste without quotes

Currently, when copying multi-line cells in Excel and pasting the text to a browser or Notepad, for example, quotation marks are added around the text. And I have to go and manually remove those quotes every time. With a tool like Excel, which has many cells, this can become very tedious and repetitive. I would really appreciate an option that we can tick or so, which allows us to copy the text, with the line breaks and all, but without the quotation marks around the text. Thank you.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. randarray in tables

RANDARRAY does not work in Excel tables. It results into #SPILL!
    Would be nice if RANDARRAY did work int tables.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. DONT'T CHANGE MY FORMULA!!!!!!!

How about keeping the formula intact, returning a #REF result and NOT editing the formula with a #REF comment. This stupid idea prevents one from following the formula back and evaluating what the error is, or what cell it's referencing. Who ever thought of doing this should have some training! If one receives a spreadsheet developed by someone else, they may not know how the formulas work/reference, but leaving the formula intact gives the opportunity to understand what the result should be. CHANGING the formula should NEVER be an automatic option by the software!!!!!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Open Excel at the pinned list

Make it possible to open Excel at the pinned list rather that the recent files list

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. default margins, default page size, default header, default everything

it would be very good if you could copy and paste everything including: headers and footers, margins, page size, print areas I have set up a template and now want to make many more identical sheets but always have to adjust things

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Find links

It's often VERY difficult to find the links indicated by Edit Links in the Data Tab. Obviously, Excel is aware of the links, but the user is not aware of where they are. Have a feature be able to tell the user precisely where those links are, be they in cells, buttons, hyperlnks, shapes, whatever.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Separate Excel windows shall not share an UNDO buffer.

Sorry Microsoft, but you really blew it in the 2016 update. Separate Excel windows used to be separate Excel windows. Now they share the same buffers for Undo, copy/paste, and highlighting. This is really limiting when working comparatively on two spreadsheets.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow Edit Ranges of Protected sheet not working in online. It cannot recognize permission for user.

Problem in only online document.
    Please make Allow Edit Range function to run/work over on Protect sheet function.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 3 letter months

For date format, have one that uses the 3 letter abbreviation for each month.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Create Array that joins two arrays

Create a function called ArrayJoin() or ArrayConcat(), this would join two or more arrays together to make one array. This could be used on spreadsheet directly or embedded in inputs of other functions eg to dynamically organise inputs for MMULT().

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Fill Color

Sometimes when reconciling spreadsheets i use multiple colors to keep changes, numbers, edits, separated. Every time i need to change the color of my "fill color" it is really frustrating to go to the fill icon, chose the drop down menu, find the exact color i was using just to have to do it all over again the next time i need the "other" color. It would be nice to be able to add multiple "fill color" icons to my tool ribbon that way i can just click the color i need quickly and go back and forth between colors…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base