Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SORT function with sort_order argument 0 as random

Hi. You could create a new option 0 as the sort_order argument of the SORT function. Today we have 1 for Ascending, -1 for Descending and then we would have 0 representing shuffle, random order.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. STOCKHISTORY Function properties fields to accept the string values

The new STOCKHISTORY function is great and accepts only the numeric values in the property why not to add the support of accepting the string values and make it more flexible for the users. attached is the sample.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Implement Quasi MDI Windows using Windows 10 Sets Feature

In Windows 10 there seems to be a feature, still under development called Windows Sets. https://www.howtogeek.com/352109/how-to-use-sets-in-windows-10-to-organize-apps-into-tabs/
    While MS pulled this feature from the latest public builds of Windows 10, it looks like it’s not dead, but sleeping, due to make a comeback once issues have been ironed out. https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3081852/windows-10-sets-coming-back-rumour

If this is the case then it would be the perfect way to bring make MDI like functionality to Excel for those users who miss it. Certainly from a Excel custom Application perspective MDI windows worked very well.

It would be great to have a setting in a future version of…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Moving average function for dynamic arrays

With increasing use of dynamic arrays for time series data such as stock prices we need a way of doing moving averages with dynamic arrays.
    I suggest something like

MOVAVG (RangeArray, N, MAMethod [, Down] [,StartExp])

where N is the number of periods in the moving average and MA-Method controls the MA calculation method method (Simple, Central, Cumulative, Weighted, Exponential, Double Exponential etc)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. DIFF function for Dynamic Arrays

In addition to an ACCUMULATE function to enable cumulative sums and corkscrew calculations we also nee a DIFF function to calculate differences between values in a dynamic array.
    Something like
    DIFF (Range_Array [,StartValue] [,Lag] [,Order] [,Align] [,Down] )

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. I would like to see the return of the use of they keys page up and page down in the print preview screen. It was so much easier to use

I would like to see the return of the use of they keys page up and page down in the print preview screen. It was so much easier to use

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow conditional formatting for spilled array formulas

I use an array formula (e.g. RANDARRAY) to insert some numbers. The size of this array may vary, as the array formula is based on cells with values, which may vary.
    In the spilled array I want to highlight some values using conditional formatting. It would be useful, if the conditional formatting could be based on the size of the array, so that the area the conditional formatting applies to shrinks and grows with the size of the array.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Show cells in relation to other data in a better way

Hi

See screenshot. I'm in a cell with the value 26 112. I want to know if this is casual wages or PAYE and it's not obvious, I have to strain my eye a bit and make sure I follow the cells correctly. Same thing if I want to see other numbers in the same column as the 26 112. If I want to see a number that's15 rows up on the same column, if there's a lot of data, it's really difficult to follow.

So, it would be great if you had a view that highlights all info in…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. For the money in excel feature, allow manual input of accounts because some of the security features don't work well with the current import

Allow manual import of accounts for money in excel because some institutions don't work well with the current import method (e.g., wealthfront with 2 factor authentication that uses an authenticator app)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Money in Excel should be available in Microsoft 365 business

It looks like Money in Excel is only available for Personal and Family Microsoft 365 accounts.
    We have several Microsoft 365 Business accounts that we use for both personal and family business activities, but we cannot access this feature.
    We end up paying more at least for some accounts, but we do it for simplicity of management.
    Microsoft should make Money for Excel to business accounts as well - at least small business accounts.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. co-authoring track changes history

I love that using co-authoring you can manage how you share the excel file with your team wherein you can set a user as view only and the others will have the capability to edit. I however extremely need this TRACK CHANGES features 1.) alert notification real-time whenever there is change. This should have an on/off settings so you can turn this on if you want to monitor the progress real-time, 2.) you can check changes history who edit what and you can set the date so that you can select from the start and end date of the project.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Include Track Changes in Teams

As a engineering company we need to be able to track changes to a spreadsheet that is inside a teams tab.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. "Money in Excel" - ability to split a transaction so it can be assigned to multiple categories

Allow users to split an entry into multiple transactions (e.g. a venmo transfer can be split and categorized into rent, restaurants/dining out, shopping, etc.)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Money for Excel...

My husband and I each have our own account at the same institution (2 different account #'s but 1 institution). It would be nice If I could set them both up.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Money in excel I need to be able to add account category beyond the default. Adding house in NW and need account category

Money in excel should be able to add account categories for net worth. there appear to only be 4 choices currently, which assets I own fall into none of these.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Keep workbooks independent - because they are from a user perspective

If you really want workbooks to all live in one process the user shouldn't know about it. They shouldn't share anything - undo buffers etc. should all be independent. Easiest would just be to bring back the option to have every workbook in a separate process - it made sense to everyone and was easy to understand the behaviour.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Make the Conditional Formatting Rules Manager window adjustable

Can the window on the Conditional Formatting Rules Manager be able to be adjusted so I can see more of my rules?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Build formula from string with reference to other cell/s with operator

I would like to be able to have a formula where in a formula can be build with operators in another cell. As an example where =formula(a1&b1&c1) where the cells would have 1 + 1. in other words b1 would have a + in it. This will make it possible to change operator in a large amount of formulas with only changing input in one cell.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base