Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Better Support for Analysis Services Tabular

It's about time to improve support for SSAS Tabular:
    1. Auto-generate DAX
    2. Avoid splitting a table into a "measure group" and "dimension". See how PBI Desktop handles metadata.
    3. Carry over data types so that users can create reports, such as show me invoices where Due Date is greater than ... Currently, all dimension table fields map to Text.
    4. Many customers have expressed interest to connect Excel tables directly to Tabular, bypassing Pivot Table, so they can use the column dropdowns and other Excel goodness.
    5. Support descriptions as tooltips when the user hovers on a field in…

63 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Name a dynamic array (rather than use "A1#" notation)

The new dynamic array notation is incredibly powerful, but one thing that makes formulas complicated is the "A1#" notation when used in formulas.

It would be great if you could (easily) assign a name to it in the same way that you can name an Excel table.

It would be much easier to see:

=SUMIFS(TABLE1[totals],TABLE1[dept],departments)

than

=SUMIFS(TABLE1[totals],TABLE1[dept],B1#)

I am able to define a named range for these values, but that is a bit clunky. It would be great if the naming was exactly the same as Table naming (e.g. in an ARRAY context menu like the TABLE context menu).

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Option to RE-FREEZE PANEs at Current Cell Location

I'd like to be able to RE-FREEZE PANES at the current cell location instead of having to UNFREEZE PANES and then having to FREEZE PANES again.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Merge cells optically, but not functionally.

Merging cells has the drawback, that it cuts the functionality of the excel file.
    So why not implementing a functionality, that merges cells ONLY OPTICALLY, so that the cells still keep their value and thus the full functionality, but that excel recognizes, when cells in rows that are directly located under the each other, contain the same values and thus just merges the cells optically, but does not merge the values, so that the user sees the merged cells on his monitor, and is able to print the table with merged cells, but still can e.g. sort the rows in…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Correct illogical limit of 255 characters for entering Matrix formulas using VBA

When you use Excel, you have a limit of 8192 for the lenght of a formula.

When you assign a matrix formula using VBA, it is restricted to 255.
    Even using macro recorder, it'll save the correct instruction, but then it'll be useless as VBA won't execute that instruction.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Enable Center Across Selection to be added to the Quick Access Toolbar

Everyone knows merged cells are evil and should only be used as a last resort.
    Center Across Selection is far superior, but you can't add it to the Quick Access Toolbar.
    Please add Center Across Selection to the list of actions that can be added to the Quick Access Toolbar.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Filter Option - for 6 Months

In Filter, there are options for Last Week, Month, Quarter & Year. There could be following 2 options that can help user a lot:
    1) Last 6 Months
    2) First 6 Months (Current Year)

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Stop asking to save changes if nothing has changed

You open and Excel file and look at it for a moment then click Close. Excel pops up a dialog "Want to save your changes?". I didn't change anything! Please stop asking to save changes when nothing has changed. It confuses the user.

This is made worse if I've has that spreadsheet open for a long time and I don't remember if I changed it or not. Or worse, there may be other people working on the same file and if I say "Save", I overwrite their changes.

I heard that this has to do with Excel saving the current…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Sync ribbon settings

I want to sync settings that is ribbon customize in my O365 account.
    Now I need export ribbon and import.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Rounding Error in Excel

You have a serious rounding error issue in excel that I confirmed with your help desk they could recreate.

Go into excel and type -3 in cell B2
    In B3 type the formula =B2+0.1
    Copy the formula down to cell B36
    Cell B32 should read 0 exactly but does not 1.53E-15
    I had this rounding error turn up when creating a more complex spreadsheet and could not understand why there is an error
    if you format the cells to 30 decimal places you will see that when 0.1 is added to -1.1 the answer returned is -0.999999999999998000000000000000
    not -1.0000000000000000000000000000

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Copy multiple selections into Clipboard

I've always wanted the option to copy multiple selections to the clipboard. When you paste, you'd be presented with the option of everything on your clipboard, to be able to pick which selection(s) you want to paste.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Parameters passing to Named Ranges

I'd like a simple passing of parameters to Named Ranges that would work similarly to the way they are passed to functions:

=VLOOKUP(A12,People,2,FALSE)

for example. Similarly, if I had a Named Range (call it "Horse") that implemented the VLOOKUP() function and desired to pass it the first and last parameters needed by VLOOKUP(), I would enter:

=Horse(A12,false)

I CAN do this, with a LOT of work to set it up each time, and not, um, precisely looking the same, but close:

=Horse + N("A12,false")

but again, not only is the work involved onerous, the bulk of it means that a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. More vba events

VBA events are extremely powerful but currently they are seriously lacking! If the Excel team went through and exposed more events VBA would a lot easier to manage for complex applications.

Events to expose:
    * Row and column insertion
    * Table specific events:
    ** Table - Insert_Row
    ** Table - Insert_Column
    ** Table - Cell_Change
    ** Table - On Filter
    ** Table - On Filter button click
    * Chart events!
    ** Chart - On Mouse Down
    ** Chart - On chart object select
    ** Chart - On chart resize
    * Shape events
    ** On shape resize
    ** On shape click …

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Excel Find feature for next consecutive number

I would like the ability for the Find/Replace box to include something like "a next integer" find. For example I search for 55235 and then click either a left arrow to search for 55234 or right arrow and it will search for 55236. Basically the function is read what is in the search box and either subtract 1 or add 1 to that value to locate the next number in a spreadsheet. Seems simple enough to do this without re-sorting an entire spreadsheet. This would still not effect the basic function of the Find Next used for finding the same…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. I need to open documents that have numbers starting with zeros without Excel dropping the zeros

open documents that have numbers starting with zeros without Excel dropping the zeros

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Filtering Needs to Work in Co-Authoring

Say that several people are editing the same workbook. If Tom filters to show only his records, then the other people will only see Tom's records. We need to be able to have each person apply a different filter and see only their records.
    Note that it is fine to require that the workbook can not have SUBTOTAL or AGGREGATE functions in order for independent filtering to work. If you allow these functions, then everyone will have different calculation results which would be problematic.
    It is more important to us to be able to have each person apply a local…

230 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. add simple logical functions

Add functions like XOR, NOR, NAND, etc.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add ppm cell formatting just like % cell formatting

Just like % cell formatting multiply 100 and add "%" at the end,

We need ppm cell formatting that multiply 1,000,000 and add "ppm" at the end

This is a highly required feature on fields such as Quality Control and Production Management.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Eliminate 2 step process to opening files

Eliminate 2 step process to opening files. file open should bring you directly to folder path without having to also press browse.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Do not cancel old possibilities

In any cell of Excel 1995, 2003, 2007:
    = 431+"explanation 1"-1+"explanation 2"
    ENTER
    = 430
    In Office 365 (Excel 2016):
    Pressing ENTER results in #VALUE!
    Althought I sill can use my old spreadsheets I cannot create new ones using this now considered outdate possibility and this is a very serious limitation in my view.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base