Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Option to allow overlapping window to always be on top

When working with overlapping windows of excel it would advantageous if we had the option to treat them like shapes and layer them so that you could work on a window that sits in the back while watching the effect it has on a smaller window that sits on top/in the front. The current set up always bring forward the most active window.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix all the non informative error messsages

"The picture is too large and will be truncated",
    "Too many styles",
    There is a large selection in the clipboard..."
    "Save as csv"...
    "save failed"
    modal error boxes in the VBA editor when a line of code is not completed.
    and VBA error messages with error codes and no further explanations.

I don't think any of these error messages is helpful, they slow our workflow, and modern applications have a more graceful way of dealing with these problems.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Currency format scroll menu (or any scroll menus): a better way to find the one you need

Searching for currencies in the format menu is a pain, probably because of the sheer amount of options.

For example, try finding "R$ Portuguese (Brazil)" on that menu. It's really small, so I can only look a small number of entries at a given time. I mean, I generally remember vaguely the name of the format. For instance, with Brazilian Reais I know that there's an R and a $ at the beginning, and also that Brazil and Portuguese appear somewhere in the name. However, if I type R the menu goes to "ROL", and if I type $ it…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Filtering - Why does it snap back to A1?

When turning on filtering in a worksheet, you are automatically snapped back to A1. Typically, I turn on filtering near the column I want to filter. It's more time consuming to be at the column I want to filter and then be snapped back to the beginning, only to be left looking for that column again. Can we have the ability to turn on filtering without the snap back to A1? Thanks!

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. In EXCEL 2010 with all updates available installed, the polynomial curve fit otion only works for second power equations no matter the input

in EXCEL 2010 (with all updates installed) the polynomial curve fit option only works for second power equations even if you tell it to fit with higher power polynomials. This used to work perfectly but one of the recent updates must have affected this

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Slicers - Events

Add Events to Slicers - like ActiveXControls

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Anti-aliasing on diagonal borders

Diagonal borders are common to X out a cell. The problem is that you can see the jaggedness as the borders' edges step through each row and column of pixels. Most other visuals in Excel are smoothed out.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Grouping in Power Pivot reports

To be able to use Grouping in Power Pivot reports as is works in Pivottabels.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Suggest formula simplifications to the user

For those without a strong Excel, math, and/or computer science background, formulas can be much more complicated than they need to be. To help them along, Excel could suggest simplifications to commonly used simplifiable expressions. It would be like a spell checker, but for logic.

Here are some simplifications that I've done over the years:
    IF(A1=1,"",IF(A1<>1,"s","error")) has an unreachable part "error" and becomes IF(A1=1,"","s").
    NOT(A1<B1) becomes A1>=B1.
    IF(A1<0,0,A1) becomes MAX(A1,0).
    DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+1,1) becomes EDATE(A1,1).
    SUMIFS(,,"="&A1) becomes SUMIFS(,,A1).
    (A1B1)+C1 becomes A1B1+C1.
    and so on.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. vlookup should treat the lookup value as it APPEARS

If you VLOOKUP (or HLOOKUP) 123 (or a range containing 123) into a range which clearly has 123 in it, but the latter is formatted as text, it doesn't find it. If it LOOKS right, it should find it!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Really badly need "Total Editing Time" as a property.

It would be very helpful if Excel could record the total editing time spent working on a spreadsheet. Or if Excel could better still, automatically log each time period spent editing a spreadsheet. Helps when billing customers and giving volunteer hours as I do a lot with Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Fix filter annoyances

1) Bug: when panes are frozen, in the moment when filter is applied the sheet is being violently scrolled horizontally in a random direction, hiding the active column.
    Please do not scroll on filter application.

2) Missing functionality: The filter popup list can be re-sized to show more or wider items. Unfortunately the size of the popup is not remembered on the next pop.

Many thanks!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Go to Pivot table name

If I give an Excel-table a name, then I can use the Go-To function to find it. Why can’t I find named Pivot tables in the same list?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Pivot Table Calculated Item

It is observed that the pivot "calculated item" feature has two serious drawbacks:
    (1) The calculation takes a long, long time compared to "calculated field" feature.
    (2) The calculated numbers generated via "calculated item" on the pivot table can be altered or defaced which does not happen when "calculated field" feature is used.
    The above drawbacks render the use of "calculated item" in pivots unusable. Can we address these?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow Edit of the Macro Button

Allow users to edit the Macro Button (like we could in an older version of Excel) for custom macros in the Quick Access Toolbar. Currently, we can select from ~180 images but it was so much nicer when you could go in and 'draw' your own button.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Excel: Achsenbeschriftung bei logarithmischer Skalierung (German)

Excel: Achsenbeschriftung bei logarithmischer Skalierung

Logarithmische Aachen lassen sich im X-Y-Diagramm von Excel 2010 und 2013 durch die Eingabe eines festen Minimum und Maximumwertes unter den Achsenoptionen frei skalieren. Die Festlegung eines Haupt- oder Hilfsintervalls bleibt ohne Wirkung, da Ziffern an logarithmisch skalierten Aachen (zur Basis 10) nur an den Hauptgitternetzlinien in Dekaden (1; 10; 100; …) angezeigt werden (Bild 1).

Die Darstellung von Ziffern an den Achsen innerhalb einer Dekade (z.B. X = 200; 300; 400; 500; 600) gelingt nicht. Liegen z.B. Messwerte bei X = 200; 300; 400; 500; 600 vor und wird die Skalierung der X-Achse entsprechend…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Microsoft keyboard shortcuts for in-cell alignment.

Other Microsoft products allow keyboard shortcuts to align text. Please add these to Excel: Ctrl-E to center a cell's contents, Ctrl-R for right alignment, Ctrl-L for left alignment.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Do we need 15 decimal places?

Who needs 15 decimal places? The IEEE round off error were users get, say, 12.3 × E-15 when they expect zero just confuses then and undermines their confidence in Excel and in themselves.

I cannot see any one in the finance world needing 15 decimal places.

Few, if any, engineers/scientist work with that sort of precision. Look up physical constants and you will find they are generally known to only 9 significant figures: Planck constant h = 6.626 070 040(81) × 10−34, were (81) is the std dev in the last two decimal places. Albeit some work with atomic masses…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Change default calculation for pivot table items

When I drag new items into the values section of a pivot table, they always default to the 'Count' calculation. In my work, it's almost always 'Average' that I want though, and I'm left dragging a bunch of items in and changing them one by one in the dropdown. Annoying.

So, I'd ask you to consider adding one or both of the following options:
    1. Change the default calculation for newly added items
    2. Allow changing of calculation for multiple items at once (this would be particularly good if it let me change all the options for multiple items together)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Function to only use every xth-row or column in another function

Function to only use every xth-row or column in another function

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base