Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. New idea for newest version of Excel (3D version)

Each Workbook will have a few sections, and each section will has a few WorkSheets.and finaly each Worksheet has many data like old versions. Summary it means : data devided in sections and sheets (3D version). I Create 3 Pictures for this idea , in this link : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qiqk0lk6hg681q8/AADxueKciHMyWJwBbPiV1yuba?dl=0
    E-mail address:
    shariflotfi@yahoo.com

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Synchronized attributes in Pivot Table's report filters

I would like to drag attribute from a hierarchy into pivot table's report filters, as it can be done through Slicer.
    In such way I will have synchronized attribute (e.g If I have Year and Quarter into report filters and I filter Year=2016 I will see into Quarter's report filter only quarters belonging to 2016).

Thanks!!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Can't align or distribute text boxes on charts in Excel 2016

I have spreadsheets that I have been using since August 2000. Now I can no longer align or distribute the text boxes on my charts that reference cells in my spreadsheet. The options are grayed out. This is a pain.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add 1 button for drawing "all borders" and "thick box border (outside)" of the table at the same time

There are a lot of kind of buttons for drawing borders of the Excel table. But as long as I know the most used ones are "all borders" and "thick box border".
    I have to click both of them most of the time for each table. can you add 1 button for drawing "all borders" and "thick box border (outside)" of the table at the same time ?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Change GetPivotData to read the pivot cache

A recent survey of the most evil Excel functions showed an unexpected (to me) result. Getpivotdata topped the list.
    One of the major reasons for this is that it only works off whatever Field names are visible, so that when the user changes the visible row or column fields getpivotdata stops working.
    if it read the pivotcache directly then this problem would be solved and Getpivotdata would be a lot more robust.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Setting Print Area - cant do it with right click? why not?

I noticed that when i select an area of cells, and right click , the option to 'Set Print Area' is not there. Why not? It should be there. Instead, i have to go up to the ribbon to find Page Layout, Print Area, then set print area. Can Page Layout be added to the right click menu or at least just the Set Print Area command? Not sure why it isnt there. i would have it there for sure to save the mouse move to top and 3 more clicks.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Increase the number of items in clipboard with paste special feature

Increase the number of items that can be placed in clipboard. And also we should have option for paste special for any item in the clipboard.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Top and bottom row freezing should be possible so one can see both headings and the outcome at bottom while editing sheets

Top and bottom row freezing should be possible so one can see both headings and the outcome at bottom while editing sheets

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add "most used" along of "recent"

The open -> recent pane takes up the whole screen, and, past a point, gives irrelevant choices.

What about sharing this pane with "n most used ever" (able to manually delete files from this list).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Excel should have that right arrow button on right side of tabs, not left.

Please move that right arrow button (the triangle that points right) to the rightmost side of tabs. It is in the wrong place. Dont like it there. I dont like the 3 dots much because when i click it , it jumps to tabs to the right and moves the tab i am in. I just want to scroll right and show more tabs. I dont want to jump into a diff tab. So plz move that right arrow to the rightmost side of tabs. Then i can do that without going all the way to the left side. Put…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Bring back Save Workspace in Windows 10. This was a great function that is now missing.

Save workspace was available in W 2003 which I use at one of my clients to get me back on track after working on other projects. It immediately re-initialized every workbook exactly as it was left the day before or at any time past. This saves time and avoids bringing in the wrong version of one of the workbooks you want to get back into.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make 3D reference work with more functions.

My favorites would be sumif(), countif(), sumifs(), countifs(), sumproduct(), match(), and index(), and offset().

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Separate the Paste radio buttons in the Paste Special menu into check boxes

Most of the options in the Paste group of the Paste Special menu are not mutually exclusive, and so should be represented by check boxes rather than radio buttons. This saves having to Paste Special multiple times to choose multiple options.

For example, Formats, Comments, Validation, and Column Width can intuitively all be checked simultaneously. Formulas and Values are mutually exclusive with each other but not with the other options, so there would be radio buttons to choose between these 2, and these in turn would be grouped under a common check box. Formats might need 2 radio buttons as…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Adjust line height with cell grouping

Cell Groups Help to hide lines and columns for several reasons. It is possible that a line takes lots of space due to line breaks in one or more cells. Even with automatic adjustments, the height of the line doesn't Change, when I hide the cells that a responsible for the height of the line.
    E.g. a line with lots of single line items contains a comment column that contains lots of multi-line items forcing the line to have an appropriate height. With grouping, I can hide the comment column, but the height of the line remains the same even…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Better user guide documentation

Current user documentation is not bad but could be improved with more examples.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. In excel for large data use seperate database in excel & save as database file attach to same excel file for save time & space of proecssing

above suggestion is given because i always face & can not handle this error "excel cannot complete this task with available resources" for large database while processing & saving

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Semi Average Regression Line

Hey
    I have to create a semi average regression line my school project . I have no idea how to create one on my own. Could you please put this line as one of the trendlines on excel?
    Much appreciated

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Ask before performing massive operation on Ctrl+Shft+arrow

We all use Ctrl+Shft+arrow when building out spreadsheets. We all, sometimes, make mistakes and Ctrl+Shft+down to row 1,048,576 and then execute, after which you usually need to force a shutdown.

Excel doesn't ask before performing this very large operation. I'm thinking of something like the dialog box that opens up saying "This operation will affect a large number of cells." That would save us all the once-a-month pain of a finger slip.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Better productivity-oriented interface (allow dialogs to be modeless, make everything dockable panes)

As a production tool, drop the ribbon and go to proven high-productivity paradigms with tool palettes, such as exist with Adobe products as Photoshop and InDesign. Being able to arrange direct access to tools on a second monitor provides for far better ease of use and understanding of options.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base