Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. MODE function work for text

Could you make the MODE function work for text?
    Currently you have to do a crazy index and lookup thing, which could all be made so much easier if mode worked for text. i.e., if you have MODE("a", "b", "c", "a") you would get "a".

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Suggest formula simplifications to the user

For those without a strong Excel, math, and/or computer science background, formulas can be much more complicated than they need to be. To help them along, Excel could suggest simplifications to commonly used simplifiable expressions. It would be like a spell checker, but for logic.

Here are some simplifications that I've done over the years:
    IF(A1=1,"",IF(A1<>1,"s","error")) has an unreachable part "error" and becomes IF(A1=1,"","s").
    NOT(A1<B1) becomes A1>=B1.
    IF(A1<0,0,A1) becomes MAX(A1,0).
    DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+1,1) becomes EDATE(A1,1).
    SUMIFS(,,"="&A1) becomes SUMIFS(,,A1).
    (A1*B1)+C1 becomes A1*B1+C1.
    and so on.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow sorting order to be based on a list in the current worksheet

Sorting based on the order of entries in a Custom List works OK, but if you send the file to others, they need to set up the Custom List as well.
    Make the entire process more flexible and faster by allowing the order of sorting to be based on worksheet cells just to the right (or anywhere else) of the list you're about to sort rather than requiring a reference to a Custom List?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Copy filter criteria to a range

If a table has one or some more filter criterias you got a list of results. But when you copy this list or have a look at the result, you cannot see, which criterias had been set.

It would be great, if you could copy the list of criterias to a range or have a look to all criterias in an overview like the Name Manager.

Thanks for this opportunity to give feedback to you.
    Cheers
    Andreas (London)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. vlookup should treat the lookup value as it APPEARS

If you VLOOKUP (or HLOOKUP) 123 (or a range containing 123) into a range which clearly has 123 in it, but the latter is formatted as text, it doesn't find it. If it LOOKS right, it should find it!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Freeze Panes

Remove lines when Freeze Panes is on. Put a small indicator top right of Ribbon or similar.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. IntelliSense for functions used in calculated fields and the Name Manager

Currently, when we go to use functions in the Name Manager or to define a calculated field, absolutely nothing pops up. We just have to know what we are typing. This is very unlike cells, which not only have IntelliSense, but there is also an option to construct formulas using the Function Arguments window.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Form control scroll bar bug

With large Excel models, when a variable is linked to Form controls such as a sliders (e.g. for a dashboard), the slider can start moving of its own accord even if the user has only clicked once. Please can you fix this bug.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Expose more related charting objects in VBA (a points' values, range, series, etc)

It is not possible to access a point's values or range from VBA. We have to parse the point's name (S3P14), the go to the third series' 14th cell in the x values range to access the points' value or range.

It is also not possible to access a series' legend entry as a property from VBA.

There are many examples of this kind of "incompleteness" of the VBA charting object model. It would be great if these related objects could be exposed, to simplify code.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature request which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

Could you further comment on the other areas which you feel are incomplete?

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

10. Tables with rows as the headers

Tables are really great for managing data. Sometime It would be useful if the table could have the rows as the header rather than the columns. e.g. a regular excel table but transposed.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Cell tag

It would be good to have Cell Tags, invisible tags which are assigned a colour so that when you click on a cell it fires an event and you can perform a function like drill down to a page, view a subset etc any event really.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Really badly need "Total Editing Time" as a property.

It would be very helpful if Excel could record the total editing time spent working on a spreadsheet. Or if Excel could better still, automatically log each time period spent editing a spreadsheet. Helps when billing customers and giving volunteer hours as I do a lot with Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. When making a copy of a tab let me choose how many copies I want

When I right click on a tab and choose the "Move or Copy..." option, then check the box to "Create a copy" it would be nice if the was an area underneath the check box to enter the number of copies that I want. Then I wouldn't have to do this ten times if I want ten copies of a sheet.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Track affected cells

Have a tool that allows you to see what cells (or ranges) are changed when a given cell is altered - i.e., the entire dependency tree rooted at that cell. It is much easier than trying to manually do trace precedents etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Fix filter annoyances

1) Bug: when panes are frozen, in the moment when filter is applied the sheet is being violently scrolled horizontally in a random direction, hiding the active column.
    Please do not scroll on filter application.

2) Missing functionality: The filter popup list can be re-sized to show more or wider items. Unfortunately the size of the popup is not remembered on the next pop.

Many thanks!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Let Smart Lookup query against Sharepoint or other data sources

Right now it is limited to Bing, but I'd like to be able to have it query other data sources.

This was an idea that came out of the Excel User Group Meetup.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Support natural language as a way to interact with workbooks

It could be something like "show me the highest grossing month last year" and maybe have Excel filter a table.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Go to Pivot table name

If I give an Excel-table a name, then I can use the Go-To function to find it. Why can’t I find named Pivot tables in the same list?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Pivot Table Calculated Item

It is observed that the pivot "calculated item" feature has two serious drawbacks:
    (1) The calculation takes a long, long time compared to "calculated field" feature.
    (2) The calculated numbers generated via "calculated item" on the pivot table can be altered or defaced which does not happen when "calculated field" feature is used.
    The above drawbacks render the use of "calculated item" in pivots unusable. Can we address these?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Fix scrollbars in Excel 2013 for large files

Enabling filtering on two columns of a worksheet with around 15 columns and about 450,000 rows causes the scroll bar to break. The scroll bar reduces in size to the filtered range but it cannot be used to scroll to the bottom of the worksheet. The only way to get to the bottom is to click in a cell and arrow down or use page down. This makes it very difficult to select the desired range since page down moves the currently selected cell preventing a shift-click from adding cells off-screen to the selection. If I can open a csv…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base