Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Array Formula - allow us to type the curly braces instead of CSE (and make them persistent when i edit formula!)

currently we have to use Ctrl-Shift-Enter. What an odd concept. Please make array formulas easy to enter just like any other formula. Either let us type in the curly braces, or add something like ARRAYFORMULA(......). At least, PLEASE make the array formula persistent. Currently if I (or any other user) even looks at the formula, they can easily break it just by pressing enter.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. FIX dropdowns across versions

Quite often when you send an Excel file to someone who does not have the same version as the originator, the dropdowns don't work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. find and replace

This is a minor issue, but annoying. When you open the Find and Replace box after using it once, the cursor is in the "Replace with:" box. Can the cursor always start in the "Find what:" box?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Use fonts that are stored on the printer

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/771881
    Excel 2007 Use fonts that are stored on the printer, need this feature in Excel 2016

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Show objects resizing as they are being resized + AutoFit objects

When we are in the middle of resizing an object, we should see what the object will look like at whatever size the current resizing is at. Currently, while you resize, you only see an outline of the space that the object will occupy, so it can be some trial and error to get an object looking just the way you want it. This feature already exists for Shapes, so why not graphs, Slicers, comments, etc.? Either that or allow such objects to be AutoFitted, since that is usually what we are trying to do when resizing.

This would also…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Network functions, like ping() or nslookup()

Handy if you have a column of hostnames or IP addresses.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Interesting idea, thanks for the suggestion. I’d be interested to know if there are other functions in this area that people also want to see. I’ll check back soon to see how many votes this is getting, so if you like the idea be sure to vote for it.

Cheers,
    John [MX XL]

7. Switch to previous tab by clicking currently active one (as an option).

After (temporary) jump to some tab (sheet) in the same workbook, often I would like to return to the previously active sheet. So I need to look for the proper tab and not always it's easy. It would be much easier to activate the previous one just by clicking currently active tab. This feature could be optional.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Dot/coma problem on numeric keyboard if switch English to another language

I use few languages in excel. (Mac office 2016/ MAC)
    All languages regional settings on mac are same: decimal=[.]
    But it works OK only for US language. When i switch to another language in excel and type numbers my numeric keyboard type [,] instead of [.]

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. TODAY volatility reduction

A function like NOW must be volatile because it changes so often. However, even though TODAY can change while the workbook is open, this occurs much less often.

My suggestion is to track any TODAY-containing cells and recalculate them only when the day changes. This saves on the recalculation of possibly many cells that depend on TODAY (e.g. a "days remaining" column) without having to resort to manual entry in a separate cell. Having a workbook that is fast and requires minimal manual entry are key to user-friendliness.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. VLOOKUP with exact match and sorted data

VLOOKUP formulas where you want an exact match are often accused of being slow, especially when the lookup table has a large number of rows and columns. And if you have a lot of VLOOKUP formulas, changing a value in the lookup table can result in an annoying delay while all the VLOOKUP formulas using that table recalculate.

In many cases, the user would be willing to sort the lookup table by the first column--provided that led to a significant improvement in recalc time because of a binary search. The problem is that setting the fourth VLOOKUP parameter to TRUE…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Slicers - override the pick list

Slicers are a great addition! Currently, slicers get their pick list from the Table / Pivot Table, of course. I'd like to be able to override this with a list of my own - from a range of cells.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Automatic rezip to save disk space

There's a somewhat known trick to shrink down an XLSX, XLSM, or XLSB file: change the file extension to ZIP and unzip it to reveal its contents. Then select these contents and rezip them into a ZIP file. Change the extension of this new file back to the original extension of the original file. This new file will take up less space than the original file and still work the same way. However, once you edit the file, the space savings disappear.

My suggestion is for Excel to incorporate these space savings when saving a file without having to rezip…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Formula autocomplete - select with Spacebar

Excel's autocomplete on formulae is nice, except that there doesn't appear to be a shortcut key to actually accept the suggested formula. The only way to select it afaics is to pick up the mouse and click on it, which is annoying when your hands are on the keyboard.

Apologies if a shortcut key for this already exists, though I've never found it and I also checked here:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Use-Formula-AutoComplete-6d13daa5-e003-4431-abab-9edef51fae6b

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Excel (Structured) Tables - Make them automatically contract in size!

It is great that structured tables automatically expand when new data is added, but if the table is part of an Excel application that is regularly refreshed with a new set of data pasted over the existing data (replacing it rather than adding to it), and the new data set happens to be smaller than the previous set, the table does NOT automatically resize down (as would occur if you used an Offset/Count combo based formula to dynamically size a Defined Name)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Field name change hassle & "Generate GetPivotData" robustness

I'm impressed with the way that Excel handles names and references. If a name changes, then all instances of that name are changed. Similarly, if a cell moves, all references to that cell will update. The same can be said about sheet names and table names.

That is not the case with PivotTables. If a field name changes and you refresh the PivotTable, everything can go wrong. "Everything" includes:
    • Auto-generated GETPIVOTDATA formulas break
    • Slicers for that field disappear
    • The field is removed from the PivotTable
    • Calculated fields using that field break

Here is a test file: …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. A feature to find same text (tag) in a target document (without using hyperlinks) based on selected cell in source sheet

Usually in testing and may be in other areas, we map our test cases (in source workbook) to test conditions ( in target workbook). The available options to give reference or hyperlinks is not only cumbersome but is also error prone if changes are made in target workbook. I created a simple macro today that takes the target file location reference in source file and than based on which cell a user has selected in source sheet, by clicking on macro, it will take me to the cell with same tag name in target sheet. What it means is we…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Cortana should learn excel syntax so that I don't have to

Cortana should learn excel syntax so that I don't have to. Pretty simple, for users that don't want to learn functions such as left/right, they should simply be able to say "Cortana, take the last 3digits off that column and put them in the next column" "Make me a pie chart with the colors red white and blue"

(2015-11-05 Dan [MS] - added to Formulas and Functions category)

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Option to allow overlapping window to always be on top

When working with overlapping windows of excel it would advantageous if we had the option to treat them like shapes and layer them so that you could work on a window that sits in the back while watching the effect it has on a smaller window that sits on top/in the front. The current set up always bring forward the most active window.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. More than 15 chars in numbers!

The 15 chars limit is really annoying, since many numbers in the real world exceed those: CreditCard numbers are typical 16 chars, GSRN numbers are normally 18 chars, etc.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base