Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Smart quotes

Excel should copy Word's behaviour for AutoCorrecting straight quotes (' ' and " ") into curly quotes (‘ ’ and “ ”). The benefit of this is the same as in Word: the quotation marks look the way that the writer intended.

Exception 1: If a cell value begins with an apostrophe, do not AutoCorrect it, since this is used to force Excel to treat the value as text.

Exception 2: If the cell value begins with "=", do not AutoCorrect quotes, since "=" indicates a formula and would make matching start and end quotes harder.

Alternative to exception 2:…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. For the IFS function, give an option to give an ELSE condition

The IFS function is great, but it could be even better by adding an option to put an ELSE in the mix. Currently it's possible to throw a catchall condition such as LEN(cell)>0,"foo". Or putting the IFS inside of a IFNA and handling it that way. All that said, it would be cleaner/easier to just have an ELSE option.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Scroll to object from Selection Pane

From the Selection Pane, there should be some way to scroll to a chosen object, regardless of the object's visibility. This would be much like what the Go To window (shortcut: Ctrl + G) is for references. Simply having an object be visible does little help to locate it in a large sheet.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Create an =WHATIF function

This would be an alternative way of preforming the what if analysis. Basically it would be something like this: =WHATIF(cell that you want to change, amount you want to change it to, cell that you want to see the effect on). This would allow users to create their own what-if analysis' that spans across various sheets in a workbook without needing to create a data table or scenario.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Find the smallest value other than zero

Sometimes my question is the search for the smallest value, except for zero

The function min or small

But fail to it because it will come in short, a smallest value of zero

And we are forced to do the work of an array formula, such as in the
    {min(if(A2:A10<>0)*(A2:A10<>""),A2:A10,"")}

And the following suggestion

Argument optional functions

max min av

small large

To neglected zero.

It will be a very, very useful

Greetings to you

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Issues with structured references in single-row tables

Often, I will set up formulas for a table before the raw data is available. During this time, the table has a single, initially empty non-heading row. If I want the year of the Date column, I type =YEAR( and click on the Date cell in the same row as my formula. I end up with =YEAR([Date]) instead of =YEAR([@Date]).

Excel recognized that I selected what happens to be the entire column, and so gave me the whole-column reference [Date]. Excel should look at how the selection was made rather than what was selected.

Excel should instead behave like this:…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. I would like to be able to change the color of the highlighted cell so it is easier to see,

When I have different colors in my spreadsheet it is sometimes difficult to see which cell I am in if I have to switch to monitor 2 and then go back to monitor one. It would be nice to have a function to change the colors of the cell that I am working in so it is easier to find.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. increase character limit on choice options in Excel Survey

When providing the options for an Choice question in an Excel Survey I found out that there is a character limit to the input box where you provide the options. Seems like this limit is around 1000 characters, which is far too little for providing full overviews of countries, products, models and many more categories that many companies have in their datasets and would like to incorporate in surveys.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Surveys  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. When using pivots based on data models, create "combined" drill through sheets by double clicking on pivot grand totals

Based on all existing Relationships in the data model, The "combined" drill through sheet should show all columns from all sources where a relationship exists.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Better default format for a time from a csv file

This is relating to opening CSV files with fields formatted like 12:34:56.789

My Excel sets them to custom format mm:ss.0, which is rarely a useful form to work with the value. I'd prefer if they stayed as text or were a time in HH:MM:SS.000 format.

Sorry for duplicate suggestion of https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/15958735-i-think-the-default-way-to-format-a-time-should-be; I wasn't sure if my comment was seen.
    Currently my system short time format is h:mm tt and long time format h:mm:ss tt.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Data Graphics that will Display Excel Data

It would be super great to have the ability to insert a shape that will display data from the spreadsheet. I find myself using labels in charts and adding formulas to the labels, but I would like to be able to add any shape and add a formula to it to display data. I suppose this is somewhat like Visio, but after being in development with a major spreadsheet for several weeks I would really have appreciated having more flexibility.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Adding a few more options to histogram charts

I really like the new histogram chats, but I am missing a few options. One of them is adding an indicator for the mean, for example as a vertical dotted line. I am also hoping for a way to change how the horizontal axes is formatted.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Hi/Low bar and column charts

Add an additional chart type that would allow the lower limit of the bar and column to be specified instead of assuming they start at the axis (i.e. zero).

Excel already has a chart along similar lines in the stock "Open, high, Low, Close" chart - and the 2nd and 3rd data fields can be blanked to give what is effectively a high/low chart - however these charts cannot be plotted horizontally as bars.

A high/low bar chart would allow easy creation of Gant charts and would also allow easy comparison between data sets that exhibit a range of data.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this in a future release.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

14. Enable user to choose what Workbook Structure options they want protected

When you protect the workbook structure, it prevents anyone from inserting, deleting, hiding, unhiding, moving or copying the sheets and even stops them from changing the tab colour. It would be nice if we could choose WHAT to protect (eg only deleting and unhiding sheets).

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Enable excel online spreadsheet as data source

I would like to be able to use an online excel spreadsheet as a linked data source. Simply paste the excel file url and it likes (similar to sharepoint list, but way easier)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Improve cryptic number formatting (##,#) with preview...

Current number formatting using ##.#, ? , semi colons and commas is too cryptic and has no preview and is just doesn't fit the Excel style. Instead, provide a dialog box similar to font selection with instant preview along with conditional formatting, number format separation, color. Also an option to select for positive, negative, zero and text.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Count number of the data in one column which is bigger than the value of a cell in another tab

Currently, we can only make criteria in formula 'countif' or 'countifs' as a number, a comparison with a predefined value, a cell, or a word.
    It will also be helpful if we can also make the criteria as a comparison with a cell.
    For example:
    tab 1 contains a lot of dates in one column
    tab 2 contains any other dates in one column
    We can count the number of the dates which is bigger than each date in tab 2 through this function.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Duplicate the "Scroll to the last/next sheet" on the right hand side of the status bar

When we want to view/select worksheets to the right, it is intuitive to have the "Scroll to the last/next sheet" on the right hand side of the status bar. This could be achieved either as a duplicate of those options or moving those actions to the right.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. IRM enabled SharePoint library with required metadata

With IRM enabled SharePoint document library, the user cannot create document directly from library where are some required fields.
    User tries to create document in SharePoint document library which ends with error. He has to close Excel and reopen it again, fill required metadata and save it one more time.
    It doesn't work in any version of Word (DVD-installed or Click to Run).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. PowerCrud

There are at least 99 ways to read data from a database into excel. 99% of the analysis as a result has to live in local excel files, since there's no ability for data to be stored back to a database - without vba tricks, or a BI stack using SSAS. Please, for Pete's sake, spend some time authoring a write- back facility at minimum, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, Oracle and MySQL.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base