Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Find (and Replace) Next or Next-1 toggle

I refer to the "Find // Replace" function within the "Find & Select" option.

It would be much more useful if:

a/ The "Find NEXT" would could be toggled to search backward

&

b/ That one was able to set personalize the DEFAULTS within the Options window

Thank you

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Provide an option for multiple x-axes in xy-charts

Display of multiple data-sets in a single chart does not only require multiple y-axes, but often multiple x-axes as well. It would be of great help to have the option for at least 2 x-axes

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Combo Chart using primary and secondary axes

When i build a combo chart, some items are on primary axes and some on secondary because of different scales.

However, the labels are all mashed up into one giant box. It would be far better if the labels were shown on the same axes as the data series. It would make the chart much more self-explanatory.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you provide an example and steps for the problem that you are describing? Its not clear what you mean by “mashed up into one giant box.”

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

4. Replace the #NUM! output with a useful description

Excel is throwing me a #NUM! error when I try to use the NORM.INV function. This error is pretty much useless. The Excel application knows why it's throwing the error. Either I haven't loaded the function yet (and why would I need to, BTW), or it doesn't like one of the inputs. Rather than showing #NUM!, do something useful and give a detailed error.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Open file

If I have a workbook open and want to open another workbook, I would like an option to open within the same folder and not picking 'Browse', 'Recent Location' etc. If I use the 'Save As' button it does that, but 'Open' no longer does. Maybe an 'Open In' button? Thanks Microsoft for the opportunity to provide feedback!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. More formatting options

These are the existing format options available in excel

General

Number

Currency

Accounting

Date

Time

Percentage

Fraction

Scientific

Text

Special

Custom

in most of my business cases i miss all the below fields

Email

Website url map
    Social Facebook Twitter
    Contact Mobile landline

Pincode Country state

Poll Q1 Q2 Q3
    Apps App URL

it would be great if Office can consider adding more formating options
    in word,excel etc

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. ability to have multiple relationships between tables in power pivot

ability to have multiple relationships between tables in power pivot

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. change data source for all Pivot tables without VBA

you cannot change the data source for 2 or more pivot tables (conneceted to the same data source) that "share" the same slicer.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. In PivotTables with many Value fields it is annoying to change them all from SUM to COUNT. Make this easier.

In PivotTables with many Value fields it is annoying to change them all from SUM to COUNT. Make this easier.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. UNIVERSAL SHEETS AND WORKBOOKS MANAGER

It is necessary to add A UNIVERSAL SHEETS AND WORKBOOKS MANAGER similar to file manager for OS. Plus different small features as toggling, vertical tabs and so on.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 1040 Tax forms in PDF form can be coped to excel as a picture. I need a way to cut holes (boxes) to access various Excel cells to make activ

1040 Tax forms in PDF form can be coped to excel as a picture. I need a way to cut holes (boxes) to access various Excel cells to make active forms (adding subtracting, multiplying and other functions) would then be available.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Directional sumproduct(a1:a10;b10:b1,c1:c10...) allowing one column to proceed downward, other proceed upward

There is a new, super-powerful and easy method of solving systems of differential (and ordinary)-value-problem equations: the Parker-Sochacki solution to the Picard iteration (see Wikipedia, or ARXIV papers/1007/1007.1677.pdf for a how-to). It's easy enough to do by hand. But it requires a sumproduct that allows some columns to go forwards, while other columns go in reverse. It isn't practical to reverse the column with lookups (it's an iterative thing); and it's super-slow using visual basic. However, it should be super-easy to modify sumproduct() to do the job. Call it FRsumproduct(), and either allow a initial prefix string that tells the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. A non-truncated data validation list regardless of the column size

I may have missed something but in Excel 2003, it was possible to create a data validation list that could show the whole (not truncated) label of the list items regardless of the width of the column! If my memory serves me right, the trick was to resize the column before creating the data validation...

Bringing back this feature in the new version of Excel would be great!

Many thanks

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Make linking reference language independent

When linking a part of an Excel worksheet into Powerpoint, the link "reference" is based on the current language. For example in English the link will be file.xls!sheet!R1C1:R5C7 and in German it will be file.xls!sheet!Z1S1:Z5S7

When using multiple languages the link "reference" changes and is even silently truncated when updated (selecting the whole worksheet instead of only a part) which means the Powerpoint presentation is then made incorrectly based on different values without any warning.

This is described here:
    http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ01198-Links-to-Excel-break.htm

Please, could the link references be made language independent ?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Customizing Windows Color and Appearance in Windows 10 (especially for Selected Items and Windows)

I am an avid user of Microsoft Excel. The first thing I have always done when I get a new computer is set up the Windows Color and Appearance settings by customizing the variance options listed under "Item:" (See bottom of my post). For instance, I like to have the Window item a shade of gray and and the Selected Items item a darker shade of gray. This allows me to operate in Excel more quickly. I've been doing this for a long time, but for some reason with either Windows 10 or the latest version of Excel 2016, I…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Activeworkbook.close falsely triggers Userform QueryClose Event with CloseMode=5 (undefined constant!)

I have a Macro along with an Userform attached to an excel sheet. When the macro get executed, it will Open several workbooks and does some manipulations based on the Userform input and closes those (Userform will be hidden throughout the process once the user given data). But when command Activeworkbook.Close is executed for the first workbook, QueryClose Event in the userform section triggers.
    Specially this happens in Excel 2013 (VBA 7.1) and not in Excel 2010 (VBA 7.0) Please debug this issue...
    Reference:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/14edc442-f380-47db-af96-317ca06d37ef/queryclose-event-triggers-when-activeworkbookclose-command-executed-in-excel-2013-vba?forum=exceldev

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Fix for carriage returns breaking csv files.

Cells containing a carriage return break the row when saving as a csv file. Provide a work around, such automatically replacing carriage returns with a space character.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Excel should use Group Policy value for "Century interpretation for Year 2000"

Excel's Two Digit year behavior is only using the locally configured setting. There is a Group Policy called "Century interpretation for Year 2000" that overrides the local configuration, but Excel ignores it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. variance charts

Pls provide standard variance charts.

Bars & Columns as well as "pin"-charts

https://rbranger.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/07_variances.jpg

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release.

Scott [MSFT]

20. Please add NOTERROR() and other NOT*() functions to simplify NOT(ISERROR()) and other NOT(IS*()) functions

A lot of the time, I'm testing for absence of some condition rather than its presence. For example, when processing raw data, I often need to use a construction such as

=NOT(ISERROR(FIND(" ",A1)))

(i.e., are there any spaces in cell A1?)

Having to constantly use two nested functions and ask "is there an error?" then negate it, when what's really wanted is the logical opposite, is cumbersome and makes longer formulae quite a lot more difficult to review. Also needing to test for the "wrong" thing, then NOT() the result, is quite easy to make a mistake.

In longer formulae…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base