Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improve Excel Profile usage options

There are many great ways that Excel likes to be helpful. Often its helpfullness gets in the of a simple task such as entering a number. If there was a method of telling Excel that I am not a mathematician and I don't need my numbers turning into logarithmic formulas when I'm simply importing a datasheet for inventory, invoices, and tracking information. I understand that turning the column into text will prevent that from happening but it also turns other useful features. Maybe what asking for is more granularity options in the way Excel autocompletes information.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow me to change/set new defaults for CSV imports

I have several CSV files each day to import into an excel spreadsheet. I need the formatting to remain the same in the cells into which they are imported. Calculations and other things are done based formulae I have set.

Every import I have to change the default from "Adjust column width" (1st screen shot) to the second screen shot.

I don't want the columns adjusted...that messes up the column label.

Please make it so I can choose "as default" to not adjust columns.

You can see screenshots here.... http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_365hp-excel/import-default-for-csv-files-id-like-to-have/ed89322d-6e6e-41f7-ae67-94c6846d2c40

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Set a cell equal to another and carry over formatting too. For example: =(existing cell, CopyFont, CopyForeColor, CopyBackColor, ... )

It would be nice to be able to set a cell equal to another and have the ability to keep the font, foreground and background colors, underline setting, italic setting, etc. A nice way would be the ability to carry over each and every setting with a separate parameter so that you could pick and choose what to keep.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Create Powershell Cmdlets for getting data from worksheets

Importing Excel data into SQLServer or other platforms that accept csv is a common task. The problem is the tools at hand right now like SSIS, COM, oledb, or parsing the XML, are really bad.

It would be nice to have an officially supported set of Cmdlets for dealing with Excel data that could be used interactively for testing, and then put into automated scripts.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. ClearClipboard API 64 bit Office 2013

Currently, the 64 bit of Excel 2013 does not allow the ClearClipboard function to clear the clipboard. Please add this functionality.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Lock conditionnal formating ranges

If people copy/paste cells with conditionnal formating, the start range for apply formating change.
    You must look for the cells without formating, or re-create the formating range.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. [BUG] Excel 2016 update 16.0.6769.2040

the more you save a file, the less you can open it. it takes a longer time to open until you can't open it anymore. Impossible to work in this conditions. Please make an update because to reinstall doesn't fix the problem.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. RANK.SORT

You currently offer RANK.EQ and RANK.AVG neither does a good job at creating a proper ranking if there are duplicate values. If I had 10 values, five of those 1 and the other five 2, I don't want rank to produce five "1" and five "6" as RANK.EQ would, nor five 3 and five 8 as RANK.AVG would but a "proper" rank where the first 1 gets 1, the second 1 gets 2, the third 1 get 4, etc. etc. This would allow me to create a proper sorting even when there are duplicates present. Right now, if I wanted…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add 'duplicate' or 'repeat' to right-click menu

To insert a copy of selected rows or columns requires: select - copy (ctrl-c) - right click - insert copied cells.

How about: select - right click - insert selection above

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Create unique object names by worksheet

Charts and other drawing objects don't have unique names. To illustrate, we could have a dozen charts on a worksheet, all named "MyChart".

These duplicate names make it difficult for VBA and any other programs to work with drawing objects, including charts.

Excel should enforce unique object names by worksheet.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Correct status bar calculation

Status bar calculates according to formatted numbers in cell. So, if there is a number format :

##0.00;[Red]# ##0

and you enter -2
    the sum in status bar will be : 2

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 7.8 MB Workbook takes 100 secs to open

I'm running:
    HW
    Lenovo T550, 16 GB Mem, 500 GB SSD
    Intel Core i5-5300U CPU @ 2.30-2.90 GHz
    Dual Core + HyperThreading ==> 4 CPUs
    No a numbercruncher but not too bad either...

SW
    Win10 x64 (upgraded from Win8.1)
    Excel 2016 (32-bit) 16.0.6001.1073
    German UI

I got a workbook (100secsToOpenLOyes.xlsx) with ~600 sheets and ~4100 ListObjects.
    It takes ~100 sec in avg to open which I consider to be tooooo long.
    File is stored on SSD.
    While opening 1 CPU is running at 100%

The corresponding file (100secsToOpenLOno.xlsx) with unlisted ListObjects is, of course, a bit smaller (5.4 MB) and…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Multithread MMULT

Calculation time for multiplication of large matrices in Excel can be greatly reduced on multiple thread processors by breaking the array formula into multiple parts as follows:

Array Name & dimensions (Rows x Columns)
    MatrixA = MxN
    MatrixB = NxP
    MatrixC = MxP

Existing method:
    MatrixC = MMULT(MatrixA,MatrixB) = MxP.
    Currently a single array formula will only calculate on one thread.

Proposed:
    Retrieve number of processor threads T from the Advanced Options.

Split MatrixA horizontally by rows into T parts.
    MatrixA1 = (M/T)xN
    MatrixA2 = (M/T)xN
    MatrixAT = (M/T)xN

MatrixB is unchanged.

Split MatrixC horizontally by rows into T…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Hiding a PivotField deletes right PivotChart Axis

Have a PivotChart with 2 series bound to the left AxisGroup and 2 series bound to the right AxisGroup.
    Now hide the PivotField corresponding to one of the series bound to the left AxisGroup.
    ==> Excel deletes the right Axis and binds all series to the left AxisGroup; see Demo macro.
    That is not desired.

Sub Demo()

Dim lcCO As Excel.ChartObject

Dim lcLO As Excel.ListObject
    Dim lcPT As Excel.PivotTable
    Dim lcWS As Excel.Worksheet

Workbooks.Add
    Set lcWS = ActiveSheet
    With lcWS
    .[a1] = "Time": .[b1] = "Left1": .[c1] = "Left2": .[d1] = "Right1": .[e1] = "Right2"
    .[a2] = "0:00:01": .[b2] =…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Right click on cell options in the list - need some more options

I would like to have more options to select after i right click a cell in Excel.
    Always wondered why not more? And the ones in there are not what i would really choose.
    One i would definitely add is the REPLACE. I always have to go up to the right to click replace. Would be so much easier to right click cell and select replace. Also would be nice to have set Print Area there too so i could select it there.
    The current choices are shown below. Need more choices. The 2 i recommend would be great to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. manage pivotcache to reduce file size

to used the same pivotcache for pivottable, to correct the misallocations

Printing or reading allocations like relations in Access

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Problem Activating Worksheets from Modal Form

In Excel 2016 if a modal user form attempts to activate a protected sheet then it will not activate properly.
    This bug was also noted in Excel 2013 and appears to have been fixed in Excel 2016 for unprotected sheets but protected sheets still do not activate properly.
    The symptoms of an improperly activated sheet are that entering values will actually cause the value to be entered on the previously activated sheet. If that cell is protected (on the previous sheet) but not protected on the active sheet it will display that the cell is protected. Scrolling with the mouse…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. saving to onedrive

If I have 2+ excel files open, and I close one, confirm saving, then it uploads to onedrive. While this dialog box window is open, I'm locked out of my other excel sheets until the file finishes saving to onedrive. If the file is large (100+MB), then this can lock me out for several minutes.

I'd like all excel file activity to be contained in that window, and not interrupt or prevent activities in the other excel file windows.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base