Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow us to remove all connections instead of individually

I need to be able to remove all connections not one at a time in the connections box related to 3D Maps.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AjApVpgq6WQ0h5czVah8SBvTv7zklw

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. The function VBA.Format should be part of the Excel object model and not only the VBA language

The Format (or VBA.Format) function is part of the VBA language, not the Excel object model. This means that this function is not available to .NET COM addins (VSTO, AddinExpress, Excel DNA). This can be a problem for the development of new addins using .NET or upgrading existing VBA addins to COM.

Note that .NET has string.Format() and Microsoft.VisualBasic.Strings.Format() but neither of those has the same behavior as the VBA Format function especially with regards to dates.

Note that there is a similar function that is part of the Excel object model: WorksheetFunction.Text(). However, this function still differs from the…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Waterfall

is there a way to add multiple data series along the horizontal axis in a waterfall chart?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We currently don’t support multiple series in a waterfall chart. However, we’ll consider this for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

4. Bring back 2 formatting shortcuts that were in older versions

There are two in particular.
    1. When changing the format of the number on a chart & selecting "number" you have the option to specify the number of digits. There used to be up & down arrows to use the mouse to change the number of digits; you could keep your hand on the mouse & select the desired number of digits. Now you can only do this from the keyboard.
    2. It used to be possible to make a number of formatting changes to a curve, select a new curve, & press F4 to apply all of those formatting…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add a Blank Field to Pivot Tables

How many times have you had to copy and paste pivot tables to get them to look aesthetically pleasing because you need to enter in blank columns? By allowing for a "blank" column field to be added into pivot tables, you can take out the extra steps of making the pivots look pretty and can leave them in their native state.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. file explorer and the "save" and "save as" etc boxes should be larger and have larger default fonts.

Bigger box and bigger fonts when being asked to name, rename, save as file commands

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Adding a hyperlink reverts font size

When adding a hyperlink to a cell with a different font size than the one set during workbook creation (see File->Options->General->When creating new workbooks->Font Size) the font size is reverted to the original size.

This is not desired.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. I would like a simple global search of a spreadsheet. One has to go to options, find a dropdown bar, click within, etc. Too many steps.

Please make a simpler global search of a entire spreadsheet (workbook) instead of the many steps needed to search beyond the worksheet. Why not radio buttons on the search box?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. In Office 365, fix the 'reopen after closing' bug

In Office 365, both Excel and Word always try to reopen after I've closed them. This has been reported by many people, but nothing seems to have been done to fix it, even with the regular updates.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Provide a tool to show, in detail, exactly what Excel thinks a cell contains.

When I import data by copying/pasting tabular data or similar, I often wind up with what looks like valid Excel data, but for one reason or another Excel can't process it. It can be something simple, like a spurious trailing (or leading) blank, or more complicated. I have spent hours in the past trying to figure out why Excel can't use what looks like perfectly fine data, and figuring out how to massage that data to make is usable. Excel sorely needs a way to tell the user exactly what it thinks a cell is, with, perhaps, suggestion(s) of how…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Saving a workspace includes the path of all workbooks.

This is just plain awkward and non-transparent to the user. When I save my workspace Excel thinks it knows best by including the full path in the resulting .xlw file. If I make a copy of the workspace and all files in a new folder the workspace continues to "point" to the original location and opens those instead.
    There must be some means of making this information available and editable by the user.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Create a print suppression character so that if the character is in the first column of a row it surpresses the printing for that row.

Create a print suppression character so that if the character is in the first column of a row it surpresses the printing for that row. This will allow an automatic sorting of data when used with an if statement.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Excel Profiling Capability

Provide tools to help find Excel performance bottlenecks. Basic VBA profiling plus Excel internal profiling to the sheet level is needed.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Confidence Formula for Pivot Table

All the values needed to calculate the confidence are currently available in Pivot Table functions, but the Confidence itself has to be manually written. It would be great to have that natively available.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. easy way to plot a maximum curve for multiple curves at once. upper envelope curve

Right now there isnt a way to plot an envelope curve easily in excel without first finding arguments to find the data that you are looking for. With some data sets this can be really difficult and it would be nice to find the max and minimum y for any given x.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Need more fuctions for save as option

its hard to find suggestion box but its okay,
    i have a little suggestion for MS-Excel, when i want to save a document in excel i see some pre-used location, but most of time i have to save a document on folder which present on desktop, and for this i have to go first on desktop then i have to go for that particular folder. instead of this process, can you add pin which present on present on desktops locations right hand side which opens folders present on desktop immediately, so we can directly access to that folder, it will…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Select a curve and copy the values of the curve

It would be very useful if you can select a curve from a graphic and push a buttom to copy the values of the curve instead of looking for them in order to copy into another sheet.
    Thanks!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add angles to the CONVERT function

The DEGREES and RADIANS functions can be used to convert between degrees and radians. However, there are at least 2 other ways to measure angles: gradians and turns. Please add angle support to the CONVERT function and deprecate DEGREES and RADIANS. Excel is currently worse than a scientific calculator when it comes to angle conversion choices.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Create a PowerQuery Folder function wizard

PowerQuery would be great if it was provided with the capability (current capability fixed) to import bulk XML and excel files. Currently excel is achievable with workarounds of creating a function for the folder function(why?) as in this post http://www.excelguru.ca/blog/2015/02/25/combine-multiple-excel-workbooks-in-power-query/ however it becomes even more obtuse (though) it shouldn't if you have an xml file representing more than 1 table.

Pressing import from Folder should expect that you are doing just that and ask what file type, then load the first file to edit as desired and then execute against all files in folder.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Track real and complex numbers as mathematical expressions for perfect precision

Excel currently tracks numbers as double-precision floating-point numbers, which has several problems:
    1. Numbers are restricted to 15 decimal places. Any more are truncated.
    2. Numbers are stored in binary. This means that common numbers like 0.1 or 1/3 must be approximated by "repeating binary", similar to "repeating decimal".
    3. There is no exact representation for irrational numbers (e.g. π, e, √2).
    4. 1, 2, & 3 together cause rounding/truncation error to accumulate. This must be guarded against in formulas and functions that test for equality. This test can be explicit (i.e. in the format A1=B1) or implicit (e.g. SUMIFS(A:A,B:B,C1),…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base