Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make XIRR function more flexible

The MS Excel 2010 function XIRR requires that cells that are included in the formula must be numbers and dates. But there should be an option that with ADDRESS function you can specify the first and last cell, for values and dates, respectively. When you specify the necessary cells, simply select them in a form of a range and calculate the formula.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Pin newly opened files to visual area (or just the upper left hand corner)

I open my excel to cross over multiple screens, but when i open a file its a crap shoot as to where it appears across the screens. I know the file is open as I can see it in the list of open files but beats me where it is. I have to go to "View/Arrange All" and then vertical to be able to find the file. But doing that moves all my other files that I have placed in my work area for a reason.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Save As Cell Contents, instead of the default "Book1.xlsx"

Often I have typed a heading in a workbook, and then had to re-type the same or nearly the same information when saving the workbook. MS Word has an intelligent guess at the Save As option by using the first words in the document, but Excel just offers Book1.xlsx. What if we could have Save, Save As, and Save As Cell Contents? In other words, select your chosen cell, click on Save As Cell Contents, and you have your desired file name with no duplication of effort.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. I had excel on this machine when I had windows 8 - Microsoft offered to put windows 10 onit free and I accepted - however I now havent got E

I WANT THE EXCEL I PAID FOR WHEN I BOUGHT THE MACHINE AND WHICH HAS DISAPEARED WHEN MICRO SOFT INSTALLED 10 - REPLACING WINDOWS 8 - WHY IS THIS SO - I WANT MY EXCEL WHICH I PAID FOR BACK.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow excel files to be moved to second screen without having to open program twice.

I have two screens but if I want to display and work on two or more excel files on separate files then I need to open the program a number of times and then open the file within that open file. Word allows you to open and move any number of documents to a second screen, I don't understand why you can't do it in excel. Cheers. Matt

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Lets users set exponential smoothing beta and alpha

In some fields, such as supply chain management, it helps for analysts to be able to set their own alpha and beta values when using the new exponential smoothing functions. I don't think it's necessary to build it into the Forecast Sheets.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Excel in Windows 10 requires 2 Alt-tabs to switch away from Excel

In Windows 10, Excel seems to require 2 Alt-tabs in order to switch away from the application whereas all other programs (including office programs like PPT or Word) only require 1. Can you figure out why this is happening?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Power pivot formula editing.

SQL Server 2016 has some improved DAX editing functions, as syntax coloring, multiple lines, indentation and adding comments. I like to have this in Excel Power pivot.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Problem with Excel 2010

I run Excel 2010 on a Windows 7, 64 bit platform. When the software opens, there is a RED line under the “A” (for font color) in the font tab.

This would indicate to any normal person that they would be typing in RED and need to change it. BUT NO, the font color is Automatic Black (as it should be) when I start typing.

When I open the Font Tab and manually select Automatic Black, the color of the line under the “A” in the Tab changes to black. I save the doc. Close Excel. Re-open Excel and the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Fix interface implementation bug on worksheets.

Excel compiles this code:

'
    'Class IView (interface):
    '
    Option Explicit

Public Function SayHello() As String
    End Function

'
    'Microsoft Excel Object Worksheet1 (IView implementation)
    '(Instancing: PublicNotCreatable)
    '
    Option Explicit

Implements IView

Private Function IView_SayHello() As String

IView_SayHello = Worksheet1.Cells(1, 1).Value

End Function

When saved (tested on every possible version of Excel) and opend again application crashes or corrupts workbook.

Can you fix this? That would open many new possibilites for developers, for example implementing MVP pattern.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Sheet list window/dialog is too small at just 289px*249px. Use a task pane instead.

In Excel 2010 the Sheet list window/dialog is just 289px*249px (and in Excel 2016 it is not much different). That's insanely small for today's monitors, and it results in not showing the full list of sheets in most of my workbooks.

I'd like to see this replaced by a task pane navigation that separates worksheets from chartsheets, allows sorting, maybe shows you a thumbnail, lists Headings inside each worksheet (which right now are of little use in Excel as compared to Word)... More in general, improve sheet navigation, which also has become much slower in Excel 2013+ in comparizon with…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Dependable Drop downs (with Removed Blanks)

It can be done by creating named ranges and using different Offset and indirect formulas but It's still a long process.

If you can work around and come up with a much simpler method for creating dependable ranges it would be great fun.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Error with scatter plot (aka data parsing)

Charting as a scatter plot.
    If I have a table exactly like this:
    x y
    1 2
    I expect to plot exactly one point at coordinate 1,2. Instead I get two points even though it's a scatter plot.

To get around this I have to make up additional points, and then erase them. I should not have to do this.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature request which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

18. Allow dynamic selection of data callouts/labels

I'd like to be able to say, for example, "show the label for the 2nd to last item in the series".

Many of the dashboards I see/create pull in data on refresh and this would allow one to create better visuals that require less futzing are refresh.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Interesting idea. Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this in our next round of planning for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

19. Why not have the slider appear at the top of the embeded form so that it's not necessary to scrol it up to start reading.

Why not have the slider appear at the top of the embeded form so that it's not necessary to scroll up to start reading.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Want the Pen (electronic stylus on Surface Pro 4) in Excel to be able to make an "X"

Want to be able to tap the face of the touch screen on the SP4 in any particular cell and to have that tap enter a programmable character, like an X into the tapped cell. This has huge applications for a variety of Excel templates for various inspection situations for inventories, and other applications where Users have developed Excel templates for use on MS tablets for field use where you don't really want to be typing and just want to input an X in a predetermined blank. But this means that both Excel and the electronic pen need to be…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base