Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow pasting of criteria in auto filter

Currently, the ability to paste into auto filter with keystrokes is possible, but it would be a great time saver to be able to paste with a right click of the mouse.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Remove folder depth limitation when saving

Excel can open files from anywhere, but has an arbitrary limit on the folder depth/number of characters in path, forcing you to save to an intermediate temporary location.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Mirroring Worksheets

Sometimes I want to present some information to a client, but not all. Linking doesn't always work due to the possibility of inserting new columns or rows into the data. I would like to clone a worksheet and designate the original as the master worksheet. In the clone, I'd like to change formatting, hide cells, or add information, while mirroring the master data so I can keep my master data and still generate reports for others from the clone.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. When altering a graph have an option to see the updated graph only after the settings window you had open is closed.

For example when adding multiple data series to a scatter plot the graph is updated after each series is added. It can take a long time to add a new series after a few have been added, when using large amounts of data points. I suggest something like what photoshop does which allows you to disable updates until the current settings window is closed.

I have found a work around. If you place the graph in excel so you can't see it and click "Format-select data" you can plot as many series as you like without lag since it is…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature request which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

5. Bulk selection from file directory to classify the document (excel , word,ppt , etc)

We have so many excel files to create and use every day but do not want to classify the file in bulk at directory. How can we do that ? Hence, we have our own Add-In icon to classify the file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Convert freeform shape to plot via x,y points

I would like to draw a freeform shape using the drawing tools, and then apply a tool or function that allows me to replicate the shape in an x-y plot. I found some VBA code online that lets me find the vertices of said shape, and I can plot those vertices in an x-y plot, but it comes out as some sort of weird approximation. It reminds me of when you use Google translate for a phrase into one language, and then you translate it back.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Cool idea. We will definitely consider it while planning our next round of features. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

7. Name Manager comment character limit & "Refers To" height

2 suggestions here for the Name Manager:

1. Allow the "Refers To" box to be expandable like the formula bar. The Name Manager is a great place to hide long formulas from the sheet. Formulas are made longer still because every reference is absolute and specifies the sheet name.

2. Increase the character limit for comments. It is usually not enough room to explain large formulas.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Touch Gestures

Introduce more touch/gesture functionality to desktop Excel. For example the rolling list selection (dropdown) like on phones and tablets.
    Example, drag and drop a selection of cells using fingers rather than the multi step thing.
    When touching the screen make user's finger transparent:) IOW show what's under you finger in a hover box.
    Regards
    Brian

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Draggable fields directly on PivotTables

There is no doubt that PivotTables are powerful summary tools. However, the people that need the summaries are often those with little Excel skill.

I will also note that PivotTables suffer from combinatorial explosion for possible arrangements of fields. Each field can be placed in 1 of 4 areas (row, column, filter, nowhere), and order matters within the first 2.

Even though he have filters for each dimension of a PivotTable, we have Slicers to increase user-friendliness.

In the same light, I suggest adding handles next to each of the fields actually in the PivotTable. Then you drag the field…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Give the ability to connect to Social media and get the data for data analytics

Imagine just having data connectors to connect to Social media sites like Facebook/Twitter and configure it.Bang you have the data you want about your business account or client's account to do all the analytics.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Paste Special / Multiply, Divide, Add should NOT remove formatting (bug?)

This I'd describe as a bug. When you use Paste Special / Multiply (or the other math operations), the formatting in the selected range is lost. There's no reason for that behaviour, the target range's formatting shouldn't change.

Also, the feature could use an improvement. Maybe take it out of the paste menu. Allow us to either select a range or input a number with an inputbox. Some more operations.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Include changes to Conditional Formatting in Undo

If a user edits or deletes an existing conditional formatting rule, and then wishes to reverse that change (for whatever reason), clicking the Undo button will NOT help as such changes are not logged. Go figure?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add floating button

with VBA it can be done, but if you can use floating buttons of different shape in your sheets it would look great.

Regards
    Sarvesh Prasad

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Combo box dropdown should mouse scroll

Currently the combo box for Form and Active X do not allow the mouse scroll feature after selecting the drop down. If you try to use the mouse scroll, it does not scroll through the list items and may even scroll the sheet instead (if mouse hovers out of the list area).

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. replace algorithm

I often work with the hyphen separated double serial numbers, that some of which Excel interprets like date by default. I use text cell type for this values.
    Then I tried to replace this values by means of search and replace function, selected input and output type as text, my value after replacement became the date first, then changed to the numeric equivalent.
    It would be much better if the result of the replacement operation immediately interpreted in a user-specified type.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Custom sort with UDF as Comparer

When using the standard Sort dialog, it would be extremely useful for the 'Sort on' column to accept custom UDFs to implement the comparison of the values in the selected column.

So the 'Sort on' values would be:
    * Values
    * Cell Color
    * Font Color
    * Cell Icon
    * UDF...

Clicking 'UDF...' will bring up a dialog displaying all UDFs implementing the IComparer interface. The user can select which one they want to use.

This will enable many scenarios such as sorting by IP addresses, MAC address etc. where standard alpha-numeric sorts don't work - they give incorrect sort…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add Conditional Formatting for enumerated values

When a Column or Row contains enumerated string values like ("Large", "Small", "Medium"), or ("Bob", "John", "Anna") it would be useful to automatically assign a color based on the cell contents.
    Currently, this requires to add one rule for every possible value of the type 'equals to "..."'.
    It suggest to add a Conditional Formatting rule that assigns a unique color per unique value (based on some color set)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Fix Cntl + Up Arrow when Top Row Frozen

When I freeze the top row in a worksheet and am working further down in the file but want to jump to the top using the Ctrl + Up arrow keyboard shortcut, I am only move to the top of the viewable screen instead of the top of the worksheet (so I have to scroll or drag the scroll bar up). Please adjust so ctrl + up arrow goes to top of worksheet instead of top of screen.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow double byte languages in dialogs

Many dialog boxes display gibberish when double-byte languages (kanji/chinese/etc) should be displayed. Some dialog boxes allow these, while others do not. Please enable all programming objects to use/store/display double byte.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Dave,

Can you list the dialogs where you see a problem (and the version of Excel that you’re using)?

Thanks,
    Dan [MS]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base