Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. web page

Make it easy to convert Excel to a back end web page so web site users enter information into fields on the web page, calculations are performed on the back end excel sheet and the results are displayed. Then make it possible to save those results intro a database so it can be used in programs like dynamics CRM.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Change cell relations in another file even if this file is closed

Problem:
    I have 2 Excel files, let’s call them A.xlsx and B.xlsx.
    Some of the cells are connected: in file A there might be cell C3 for example like “=[B.xlsm]example!D4” and otherwise round.

If I close file A and add a row in file B that changes the cell names of all following cells, the former cell D4 is now e.g. E4.

Now I open again file A, and the reference in cell C3 still reads “=[B.xlsm]example!D4” … but it should be E4 because the correlated data is now in cell E4!

Result: Cell C3 in file A shows the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Public roadmap for Excel

Could you please publish the product roadmap for Excel. Other groups in MS have done so with their products, although I appreciate they are open source. It's really very helpful for the partner community and user community to know what's in the pipeline and in what time frame. Thanks a lot, Mark

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Paste unlinked to workbook

To copy a formula from one book to another identical book you need to copy the formula to the notepad and then copy and paste it to the new workbook. Need to have a choice to paste it linked to the old workbook or not. Paste the formula with an error if sheet in pasted formula doesn't exist

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Align decimal easier

It's currently possible to align by decimals but it's very hard to use. The report to a manager could look much better if 10.01 and 1.01 were centered and aligned correctly. Make this easier to implement. I have to do a web search when I need to find how to do this.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Special format save

Low priority. You make it possible to save a special format but it only saves in that workbook. Make it possible so I can use it in any workbook once saved.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. One version of Excel across all platforms

Why do we have 'Excel for Android', 'Excel for Mac', 'Excel for ...', etc.? The user experience of Excel should be the same across all platforms.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Cell becomes text when linked to text

In 2010 if I put a formula linked to a sheet that's correctly formatted as text then the cell I'm working on becomes text and all I see is a formula. Two steps to fix. One is to change number format to general and two to press F2-enter.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Dealing with spaces in cells consistantly

A small thing but:
    Ensure cells with spaces in them are treated consistantly. For example if B4 contains a space and B5 contain 0 then =sum(B4:B5) gives 0 but gives a #VALUE error if the range referred to is on a linked workbook

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. If cell formatted as text, then excel has trouble with strings having between 255 and 1024 characters.

For eg, it cannot search for text string within the cell. Also contents of cell are shown as ##### in spreadsheet.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Have a toggle in the Go To dialogue box to navigate by area instead of by cell

The Go To dialogue box commonly lists many cells when tracing precedents / dependents on another sheet. It would be more helpful if we had an option to view these in sets.
    I suspect that the easiest to implement would be to use the [range].Areas collection that already exists in VBA. That would be great.
    Even better would be to break the range into groups (groups for each R1C1 formulas, more groups for each identical constant, another group for blanks, and there's probably others that I missed). Then break each group up using [range].Areas. This more detailed approach is more…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Enhance styles

It would help spreadsheet design if specific conditional formatting rules and data validation rules could be set within styles.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Support color fonts in Office & Windows 10

Add support for color fonts in Office & Windows 10 (Win 8.1 onwards?)
    Support OTF font embedding in Office apps
    Support TTF font embedding in Excel (none currently supported)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Bring back Data Analysis Toolpak

I used Data Analysis Toolpak in my previous Excel 2010 version extensively. I was gobsmacked to find that it is not an option in Office 365 Excel. Please bring it back.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Give us a QR Code font

Please give us an add in with the ability to create text into QR codes. We have a system that loves QR codes and a lot of part number we need to print in QR code and now we have a lot of work to do to make it work in excel.

Thanks

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. TOO ******* STUPID

********, YOU ARE DEAD WRONG ABOUT PAGE BREAKS ON MAC. NOTHING WORKS AT ALL AS FAR AS PAGE BREAKS ARE CONCERNED. THEY CAN NOT BE MANAGED AT ALL YOU IDIOTS

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base