Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. If you are in a Named Cell, Display the name somewhere

I am using a spreadsheet that makes rocket science look simple. This workbook has hundreds of named cells, but unless I go look in the Name Manager I have no idea a cell is named.

It would be nice if up at the top you displayed the name 'Name: Calc1' or something.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Have a button under options to save template to XLSTART folder

A default start file can be saved to XLSTART as Book.xltx

There should be a button to allow people to do this more easily

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. I highly recommand excel function to include SUMPRODUCTIFS and SUMPRODUCTIF

Include these functions with same criteria management as SUMIFS and SUMIF

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. It will be extremely useful Tool for Filtering the Excel Data if it is possible to enter the Cell Reference to the Filter Search Bar

I find that it will be highly useful if there are dynamic Filtering facility in Excel. This will help to dynamically change the filtering criteria of a Table by changing the content of a particular Cell (manual change or calculation output). In order to do this, there needs to be a facility in Excel to link the Cell reference to the Filter search bar as shown in the attached screen shot.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Distinguish inputs (hardcodes), cell references (formulas) with a default font color coding option.

It would be incredibly time saving to have the option to automatically format by font color a workbook, worksheet, or selection based on whether the cells are inputs (hardcodes), references within the tab, references to another tab or another workbook. The functionality would be very practical if the option to add/edit the default colors for this auto-formatting action existed.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Pivot Table date grouping should support by day and by "day of year", etc.

Current grouping by day is in fact by "day of year". When dealing with date-time values, it is useful to throw away the time data in a pivot table. The grouping does some of this, but it also throws away the year data as well.

In other words, I want to be able to aggregate "1/1/2017 10:00" and "1/1/2017 11:00" as "1/1/2017" and not "Jan-01"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Divide by Zero

Please create automatic handling of Divide by Zero errors, so that users don't need to create IF functions around the majority of formulas. For example the user could select what result is applied across the entire workbook when a DIV0 errors occurs. Commonly I use an IF function to set the result back to Zero again such as:
    =IF(Denominator=0,0,Calculation)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. The 'Insert' row or columns option in keyboard shortcuts is not working. Till now it was working fine. I need help on this please.

I have purchased Office 2016 Student and Home edition from Microsoft store on 4 Apr 17. The 'Insert' option for row or column with keyboard shortcuts is not working. Till now it was working fine. I need help urgently for this error please.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Include chord diagrams as a chart option

Chord diagrams show the relationship between a group of items/points/people. It would be fantastic to have a default option for this kind of chart instead of messing around with work-arounds.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Revert back to adjusting the number rows or columns of merged cells.

In the prior version of Excel, if you wanted to add or remove a row or column that was part of a merged cell you were able to easily delete the row or column in question without deleting the entire merged cell.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Problem with caret direction in Hebrew

Excel 2013 (15.0.4927.1000), Windows10 Hebrew/English

Regardless of the current chosen language, Hebrew or English, the caret points from right to left.

This is very confusing.

See attached screenshot.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Excel customizations-utility to backup all

Utility to backup all user's customizations. I have a batch file to backup all my settings below but I'm not sure if I have them all.
    Custom Lists must be exported from registry and imported. Most users won't know how to export from the registry and they shouldn't attempt it either.
    It would be nice to have a utility that backups all user's customizations/settings.

book.xlsx
    sheet.xlsx
    Charts
    Custom lists
    Toolbars

Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Product Setup and Activation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. formula

Hi! I would like, if possible, to request a direct contact with one of the people of the development team of Microsoft Excel to explain an error that I found in the programming of an Excel formula.
    This error generates results that are not real mathematically, nor logically.
    I await a response and contact.
    Greetings.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Changing a power pivot calculated column using VBA

Dear Excel Team,

When working with millions of data rows power pivot is definitely the right tool.
    However, all my research came up with the same result that changing a calculated column in power pivot using VBA is not possible.
    Here an example where we would like to change a calc. column via VBA. We need to alter many different settings (based on several input columns) in order to find the optimal operating point.
    It would be wonderful if this could be considered.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. email collaborators

From within Office, you can share a doc with someone new, but not email anyone who already has access (for example, if you want to notify them that you updated the doc). I want to be able to email collaborators without having to manually open an email message in Outlook, find the sharing link on SharePoint, and lookup the emails of everyone who has access to the doc.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Stop looping error messages

There should be an option to close out of error messages. When one comes up, there are OK, Cancel, and X buttons. Clicking any of them will open the same message again. The only way to get out of it is to press CTRL+ALT+DEL and close Excel through the task manager.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Protected View

When a spreadsheet is opened from email or the web, it is automatically put into "Protected View" where little can be done with it. I need to use the data, but I want to be safe from malicious macros. It would be nice if there was an option to remove all macros from the spreadsheet allowing me to access it safely.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow Sharepoint to be a "trusted" location and open files in edit mode by default.

Even though I have sharepoint locations set up as a Trusted Locations, Excel will not default to opening those files in Edit mode. I have all of my frequent files pinned, and they all default to read-only mode when I open them. This means many many extra clicks every day as virtually everything I work on is located on sharepoint.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base