Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Quicker find tool, more like what web browsers have

The popup "Find" window is so last decade. Can we have a quicker find tool? Word has a "Navigation" sidebar that makes searching so much easier - because of the nature of Excel spreadsheets it might be better to have a horizontal bar rather than a vertical sidebar.

I do a lot of searching within Excel workbooks, and one EXTREMELY annoying thing about the existing Find window is that the Ctrl+A shortcut for "Select All" doesn't work. But let's just get rid of that dialog altogether and replace it with a modern, integrated interface.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Excel 2016: [View Update] leads to misunderstanding

Dear team,

I love Excel, and am using version 2016.

When go to [File] > [Account] > [Update Options] > [View Updates], I can see a "What's new in Office 365" web page.
    I expect update history of my Excel by [View Updates], because [View Updates] says "See the update history for this product".

You should show me update history of my Excel, or change the name of [View Update] or change its explanation with other words.

I strongly hope you will take some actions.

Best regards,

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow The Filter to Search All Lines of a worksheet

Love Excel 2016, but find it limited in the way I work....Delighted that worksheets have so many lines.
    Frustrated that column filter will only filter about 10,000 lines, why have a great worksheet program that falls short when you need to filter and search columns....I for one need to filter search the entire worksheets. No good at Macros to complicated.
    Please Help.

Regards Ian.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Aggregates to continue to display in the status bar of two instances of excel when clicking either instance

If Book A and Book B are shown in two Excel processes, then the aggregates will continue to display in the status bar of Book A (and you can show a different set in the status bar of Book B).

The ways to start two processes is:

• Start > Run > excel /x, open Book A

• Start > Run > excel /x open Book B

I would like to have this feature added to Excel by just opening two instances of excel instead of having to start two excel processes.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Please please please make the "Save As" button which I always put in my Quick Access Toolbar available on Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.

Bring back the Save As button for the Quick Access Toolbar! I used to use it all the time on older versions of Office.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Charts in Excel 2016 is complete nightmare

Note: speaking about line charts and column charts.

1) XLS does not recognise table headline (left/top) as axis description (even if it is formatted as date or the number is a year). Not speaking about the top left cell, where usually you have name of the table. I always must change data source, add lables, etc.

2) if you delete first data point, of a time series, the time series data-points on the chart moves, however, in the source table it stays the same - if I want to do that, I rather change the table

3) if you have…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Put 'Insert' row & column in the Insert menu bar rather than Home.

Currently to use a menu item for Insert Row or Column you need to go to the Home menu tab. Surely the logical place is in the Insert menu tab!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Option to limit font selection to the few we actually use

It would be a great help if you offered an option to limit the font list the few any typical user actually uses. Yes, it's a great luxury to have a choice of 218 different typefaces, but since I only ever use two or three, it would be very convenient if I could limit the drop-down list to only those.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. "Add a Place" needs to allow shortcuts to folders on my computer or be less intrusive

Right now, Add a Place takes up a lot of space on the screen and it's got just 3 options, none of which I use much.

It would be better if I could pin regularly used folders on the Save-As Screen. That would TRULY help keep my files organized.

The alternative would be to make the Add a Place smaller and make room for something else.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Let me pick the color of Office Top Bars

There are colors that don't show up in a field of other colors. For instance in Excel the "Redo" and "Undo" are blue. I can barely see them in the green Quick Access bar of Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Restore formula interpretation when using "Get & Transform" wizard

We work with a system that spits out delimited text-files. These files are imported in an Excel template. Some columns in the delimited text-file contain Excel formulas. The good-old “Text Import Wizard” has a “default” type for columns. When using this type, Excel will nicely interpret the formulas. As far as I can see, this is not possible with the new “Get & Transform” wizard.

I know that the old wizard can be reactivated trough “File” –> “Options” –> “Data” –> “From text (legacy)” but hope Microsoft will restore the old behaviour in the new wizard before removing the old…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. DOUBLE SERIES OF TABS.

Why not have vertical tabs as well? For each sheet on the lower part of the screen, there would be several "sub-sheets" available on the vertical left of the screen.
    This exists already more or less in OneNote and is very useful to locate items and retrieve them.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Please fix the automation error for user defined formulas in tables

I have a simple table(=listobject) with a UDF in it, something like this:

Public Function TestUDF(varTest As Variant, rngZZTest As Range) As String

TestUDF = rngZZTest.Value & varTest

End Function

Now I save the workbook in Excel 2016 and open it in Excel 2013 (32Bit). Excel jumps into the VBA editor, highlightes the UDF and an error occurs: "Compile error: automation error" (without any error number). I can compile the code and save it in Excel 2013, then the error message disappears. But always if I save the workbook in Excel 2016 and open it in Excel 2013, the error…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Conditional formatting option add

So i noticed this really needs to be improved. When i want to highlight cells based on containing text in a list, there is no easy way to do it. WHy not? So i basically have to right out a detailed OR function. That is not good enough. So the solution is to go back to how it used to be. We choose to highlight cells containing 'C1' then click a button to add another underneath it and select 'C2' etc. Instead of having to add each one from scratch. Silly. Or you could create one that is based on…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. i simply want to 1) import data from td ameritrade (stock prices) & 2) delete unneeded cells

i simply want to 1)import data from td ameritrade (stock prices) & 2)delete unneeded cells -- some cells don't delete no matter what, even after I went to the unmerge cells in 'home' feature

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Return to the previous version open options. I have to got through 3 steps to get to the default folder. I am exasperated with the new Excel

When I go to open a file in Excel 2013, it defaults to recent workbooks. This is OK, but not what I normally need. I need it to default to the last directory and show recent directories. Corporate users update multiple files in multiple directories. I have to go through 3 steps to get to "recent places"

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Clearing Formatting in one click

There is a right click, clear contents.. which i rarely use. But i noticed there is no right click, clear all formatting. Why not? i have to clear fill in color, or the borders and the font color,etc. Takes too many steps. Why not have a clear formats? Is there a way to do that in one click??? i need to do this often and takes time.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base