Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. expanding more dynamic with grouped items in pivot table.

I have many reports where I would like to group by month, quarter and year. I would like the ability to expand one of the years to months while leaving the other years showing Quarters. Today when I expand a quarter, it expands it for all years. Yuck!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Speaking cells options: allow Excel to speak letters/digits individually

Currently, Excel reads acronyms as words and numbers like 12,345 as 12 thousand, three hundred forty five. Please provide an option that allows the characters to be read individually.
    Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Non-unique names in the Name Manager

Go to the Name Manager and click "New". Fill in the "Comment" and "Refers to" sections. Set the Name and Scope to a combination that already exists. Excel will complain and reload the New Name window, erasing everything that you had typed before. This can be quite punishing for such a simple mistake if your formula is long and complicated or if you optimized your comment to fit within the character limit. Excel should instead just return you to the New Name window that you had before.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add Leap Year support to Autocomplete

I just tried autofilling a row in Excel with fortnightly dates this year and on the crossover from February to March the 29th was ignored and subsequent dates were a day out.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Use system date format in the recently used files list

The recently used files list currently uses USA date format m/d/yyyy instead of the user's system setting. It should use the user's setting. Not everyone lives in the USA!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Crash after moving a column behind a column with conditional formatting (icon set with TODAY() function)

Using Excel 2013 (4787.1002), I still notice a repeatable crash.

The bug in a few sentences:
    Format two columns with some rows as table and create an icon set rule for the second column, e.g. the red, yellow and green circle (traffic lights). Now, modify the rule and define that the green circle appears with the function =TODAY()+3, the yellow with =TODAY()+2 and the red with =TODAY(). You could also use =TODAY() only for all three cases, that does not matter. Save the rule, mark the whole first column and move it to the right end of the second row.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow formulas in a text box beyond a simple cell reference

Text boxes currently only allow simple cell references like "=A32". It would be useful to allow more complex formulas so that one could write "=MAX(A2:A32)" directly in the text box, rather than reference another cell with that formula.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Multitable Excel sheet with freedom in table width setting

I am using excel since over 20 years. I am capable to use it in quite advanced level including pivot tables, dashboards etc.
    But most to the time I am using excel just to prepare some simple reports. And most probably over 90% of the users are using just standard basic functionalities.
    When I do some reports, which consist of several tables then I am always fighting with columns width problem. Whenever I try to set some with, which is suitable for me, then I spoil the with of the columns in another table standing above or below of my…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Clear Formats does not clear formatting on characters

It appears that Clear Formats only works on whole-cell formatting. Formatting on specific characters within the text of a cell is unaffected by Clear Formats, which is probably not what anyone wants.

My suggestion is to either add another clear option where character formatting is not preserved or change Clear Formats to truly clear all formatting. Which one gets implemented depends on how important the preservation is.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Functions & Scoped Calculations

HI there,
    I'd like to suggest a fairly major improvement to Excel around Formulas and Functions which would be built on top of a scoping mechanism.

Often when working with an Excel spreadsheet I build out a set of formulas in a worksheet that I would like to use as a function in other areas of the workbook. A really good example would be a set of tax calculation tables that I then want to use to calculate tax on different wage amounts. The calculation can be quite complex so I can't express it in a single cell easily.

What…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow modifying custom ribbon controls using VBA

It would be very helpful to have the ability to edit custom controls using VBA (such as in Project with method SetCustomUI(CustomUIXML)). Sometimes it is necessary to add or remove controls (nut just show and hide).
    Thanks!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Please make for Crtl-x the same pasteoptions available like Crtl-v

Ctrl-x offers only one paste option
    Ctrl-V enables multiple pasteoptions
    Please also makes for Crtl-x the same Paste Options available.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Move 4 Functions to the Maths & Trig Category

SUM is in the Maths & Trig category

but

AVERAGE, COUNT, MIN and MAX are in the Statistical category

My suggestion is to move these functions to the Maths & Trig category.

Here are some reasons why:
    1 - The AGGREGATE and SUBTOTAL functions are in the Maths & Trig category
    2 - There is a dedicated Maths & Trig drop-down on the FORMULAS tab so they can be found easily

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Editing calculated fields from the PivotTable Fields pane & renaming calculated fields

It has always confused me that I can see my calculated fields in the PivotTable Fields pane but cannot edit them from there. Instead, I have to go "Analyze" tab, "Fields, Items, & Sets", "Calculated Field", and choose the calculated field from the dropdown list. We should be able to add, modify, and delete calculated fields from the PivotTable Fields pane, perhaps through a right-click menu.

We should also be able to rename a calculated field. Currently, if you "rename" a calculated field, the "Modify" button becomes "Add". In other words, to rename a calculated field, you have to add…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. REPL

Add Excel REPL - code and see results in place:

1. modify/create sheets

2. modify/create charts

3. import/export data

4. integration with macros

5. html output window

6. widgets

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Printing control - worksheets single/double page

It would be great if there was some way for preferences to save a setting to specify printing individual worksheets as either single- or double-sided.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Selecting multiple sheets & copying from editing sheet

Selecting All Sheets & Editing/Formatting First Sheet Then All Selected Sheets Copying The Format Which We Are Formatting In First Sheet

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Improve the precision of object placement on charts

Since Excel 10, the precision of placed objects like lines on charts has deteriorated. For example, drawing a 45 degree line on a chart from one corner to the other is very imprecise because it seems the cursor has trouble picking up the correct pixel in the chart axes corner. Sometimes the chart has to be resized to nail the placement down.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. Would you be able to provide a sample file that illustrates the problem or more specific repro steps?

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

19. Make points into objects

Make scatterplot data plot points into objects that can be selected with the mouse in order to remove them from a regression or move them to another series.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback and further details. We’ll consider this in our next planning round for a future release. In the meantime, please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

20. Macros usable to other users

When you create a macro and send the workbook to other users, unless they have their settings such that they can run a macro, you need to give them special instructions so that the macro runs.
    Surely, there must be a way to send a workbook with a macro in it to someone without having to tell them to change their security settings which often causes them to think they're doing something to put them at risk.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base