Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make selecting a Font easier by applying the words you have highlighted in the Font dropdown menu instead of the name of each actual font

Instead of the Font dropdown menu consisting of the Name of each font would it be possible to see the words you have highlighted in the font dropdown menu..? The problem with the Font menu only consisting of the Name of each font is that you can only see what each font looks like with that particular word. For example, you can only see what Arial looks like with the word "Arial", or you can only see what Broadway looks like with the word "Broadway", or you can only see what Candara looks like with the word "Candara", etc. So…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add "Favorite Fields" section to pivot table Field List

As an OLAP cube user, I frequently use the same fields for my analysis but have to search through a ton of fields to get to them. The Search functionality is okay but sometimes excludes certain fields I need because of the folder structure.

A list of favorite fields would be super helpful to be able to save your most/recently used fields to make dragging fields into the pivot table much quicker.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. document location

The ability to add the "Document Location" to the quick-access toolbar has been removed from Office 16 - (Excel). It would be really nice to add the ribbon button command back in so I don't have to take an extra step and go back to the file menu just to do the same function!! Extra work that should be unnecessary!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. your excel 2016 cannot download date from web Yahoo finance portfolio

your excel 2016 cannot download date from web Yahoo finance portfolio

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Reduce lookup function confusion (lookup, vlookup, match, etc.)

Basically similar to "Make a simple safer version of VLOOKUP and INDEX MATCH" but:
    1) Include verbiage on other functions to avoid confusion, and relegate vlookup, hlookup, lookup, match, etc. to inferior status by saying something like (at the top of the help popups for these)
    "This function is not needed except for functionality in old spreadsheets. Consider using the more powerful and logical new " " function which ..."
    The problem is there are so many functions that lookup values and they all have limitations. Even though I create or update a dozen spreadsheets each year for the last…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. launch on screen keyboard automatically

New Feature Request for Office 2016: Automatically launch onscreen keyboard when physical keyboard is disconnected. Only Word 2016 does it

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Perfect!! when you hover over a cell it highlights the headings

Perfect!! when you hover over a cell it highlights the headings (col letters and row numbers)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow Manage Measures dialog box to remember size and search within it

When editing a measure, the Manage Measures dialog pops up. It always resizes itself to the default, which is painful when your measures have long and descriptive names longer than 10 chars long.

Also, when you have a LOT of measures, it would be helpful to have a search/filter box so you could just type "sales" for example and all measures with the name Sales are shown and the rest are filtered out.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. edit issues

I am periodically unable to edit. Cannot use keyboard, ribbon or right-click menu. If I click on another worksheet in the workbook, or switch to a different workbook, the issues resolves. This seems to happen randomly, but once it starts it occurs repeatedly until I restart Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Excel 3D map counties - Richmond Virginia

Trying to define our sales reps territory, using an official list of US states, counties and independent cities, there's no way I could plot Richmond City, Virginia as region.

See my original post here:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeexcel-msowin10/excel-maps-problem-drawing-virginia/de86febb-062f-48b8-ba90-0d824a3d03d5

Many thanks!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. provide a way to format numbers to show decimals as an underlined superscripted number(used in construction and surveying)

provide a way to format numbers to show decimals as an underlined superscripted number(used in construction and surveying)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. seriously..when are requested features coming?

So many people are requesting features and its like nothing ever gets added after years. It reminds me of Windows 10 Creators update. Please we want more useless stuff no one asked for and ignore actual useful requests. Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Drop Down List - two columns of datasource

Currently Excel drop down list only works on one column of data as Drop Down list data source (please, correct me If I'm wrong). While sometimes we want to display another column data. For example : I have a customer table with two columns CustomerId and CustomerName, I want to display both CustomerId and CustomerName but use CustomerId as the value of drop-down list. This feature is not currently exist in every version of Excel including the latest Excel 2016. I hope this feature will be included on next Excel version....Many Thanks.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Text- und Excel-Dateien

Text (auch CSV)- und Excel-Dateien sollten wieder in eine Word-Datei importiert werden können und zwar so das der Nutzer Spaltenzeichen, Zeilenumbruch und Tabs wieder definieren bzw. bearbeiten kann.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Fill by Example transpose

Enable fill by example to transpose date.

Often find I want A1, A2, A3 etc to transpose to A1, B1, C1 etc

Yes I can copy transpose the data but I am requesting the ability for this to happen in a formula. Such that dragging across picks up the vertical data or vice versa, data remaining dynamic

Thanks

Paul

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Need just one power pivot measure dialog box

If you right-click on a table in the Power Pivot Field List and select New Measure, you get a slightly different dialog box than if you click New Measure from the Power Pivot ribbon.

It seems that the one from the field list (the one that says "check DAX Formula") is a bit more stable. In any event, just one editor would seem to make the product more stable.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. TWO requests in graphs. Lines with Markers and Bar charts.

1. PLEASE use different markers on each data line when "Line with Markers" option is selected, as in early versions of Excel...such as circles, triangles, squares, etc.

2. When "Bar" chart option is picked, data is shown in REVERSED order and requires the reverse option to be selected to fix it. PLEASE display data in correct order to start.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Enable blank to be treated as zero in arithmetic and calculation functions

Automatically ignore blank cells in math/arithmetic/calculation functions, such that (eg) AVERAGE(a:b) will work on all non-blank numeric values within the a:b limits. Currently it returns a #VALUE error.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Global & Local Filters for Pivot Tables

Apart from the local filters for each individual pivot table, can we have global filters - Which can be used to modify multiple pivot tables on one sheet having a common data source at once?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base