Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add the Center of disease control week function

You have the Iso week function, however most health departments in the US and Canada use the cdc week function for tracking disease incidence by week number.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Find, but from left

Find, inside of text, but from right side a count instead of from the left side count.

=findright("withintext", "x", FromRightside)
    Answer would be 2, 2nd character from the right side. Under regular Find the answer would be 9 from the left side.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Word Processor sheet in a workbook

I often have to include extensive notes, or an introduction to explain the use or purpose of a spreadsheet.
    It would be good if there was a type of worksheet that could be inserted that was basically just a Word document.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow option to change gridline spacing for charts

Allow an option called "spacing" in "Major Gridline Options" in charts.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this in our next round of planning for a future release. In the mean time, please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

5. CTRL+SHIFT+T not working to view Find window in the Italian Excel version

CTRL+SHIFT+T has always been the default shortcut to view the Find window in the Italian Excel and doesn't work any longer in Excel 2016. I hope it will be fixed before the new version. Please also add a way of customizing keyboard shortcuts like in MS Word.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Suggestion for improving an Excel template

I can't find anywhere else to make this suggestion. Please don't come down too hard on me for doing it here.

Microsoft Excel has a fabulous Retirement Financial Planner template in Excel but one thing that is sorely missing is a field where I can enter an annual dollar amount that I wish to withdraw from my savings. Just a suggestion that I think would really improve an already great tool.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. slicer and time axis should effect each other

I use a PivotTable with a slicer for years and a time axis with months, quarters and years. Slicer and time axis have no effect in filtering each other. If I choose a range in time axis, the slicer should be filtered, too. And also using the slicer should effect the Settings in the time scale / axis.
    Thanks ;-)
    Andreas

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Discriminator values to color cells

Allow values to be used as color discriminators for scatterplots. Identify a column of values and specify a number of bins to base the colour discrimination. Change the colour for each bin and allow each bin to be a seperate series so that regression lines can be drawn.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Comparison chaining (0 < x <= 1) or BETWEEN function

One of the early but forgotten disappointments of any Excel user is that you can't do this:

0 < A1 <= 1

You have to break it up like this:

AND(A1>0,A1<=1)

otherwise Excel will evaluate 0 < A1 and check if that is <= 1.

Since we rarely want this case, why not interpret 0 < A1 <= 1 as the user intended? It would make formulas more readable and avoid repetition. Of course, this can be extended to all comparison operators (<, >, <>, <=, >=, =) and for an arbitrary number of them in a row (e.g. 1…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. pivot table formatting

Using "grouping" of numerical data - there are no controls available for formatting the numerical ranges on the left side of the PT. I want to be able to add thousands separation (at a minimum). I would like to be able to change 0 -9999 to 0.0..k - 9.9..k, etc. Data should be pleasantly readable. Maybe some Displayed units similar to Axis formatting on charts.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. data>consolidate

The feature still only works across files and not across sheets (Unless you use the Sheet_Title rangename. Feature would be much stronger if it displayed the sheet name as well as the file name in the summary tables that it creates

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Default Data>Subtotal to Sort by Selected subtotal criteria

Current most users stuff up applying subtotals because they do not sort the table beforehand. A check box called "Sort by this Field" would solve that problem

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. New Window Maintain Zoom Level

Duplicate the Zoom Level from the active window when I click on New Window. Currently jumps to 100%.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Save to current folder instead of "Document Library"

In a corporate environment you often have 1000+ people on the same server, with 10+ levels of subfolder defining your little part of it. So, it's a REAL PAIN when every time you want to save a copy of a workbook to your folder (or maybe a new subfolder of the current folder's parent) that you are always thrown out to the "Document Library" so that you have to navigate back through all the subfolders to where you just were. The "Document Library" is a fixed location, so it should be accessible via a button on the Save As dialog,…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Improve shortcuts so every Excel instaled machine has the same shortcut

Depend on the machine I have been working, shortcuts are different. Please, could you providing this improvement?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you give me more details? Are all of the machines PCs? Mac/PC mix? What keyboard shortcuts are different (and how)?

Thanks,
    Dan [MS]

16. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Expand the MATCH function - allow range being searched to be 2-dimensional.

Expand the the MATCH function capability to allow the second argument to refer to a two-dimensional range, instead of restricting it to data in a single column or data in a single row.
    Microsoft's documentation of the MATCH function (via Excel Help) does not mention this restriction but simply refers to the "range of cells being searched" as if it could be any range.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. The ability to make macros that use functions like Solver

The ability to make macros that use functions like Solver

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. vlookup for 2nd, 3rd, etc occurrance

How about something like =VLOOKUP(lookupvalue,tablearray,colindexnum,range_lookup,occurrance) like =VLOOKUP(123,A1:B100,2,FALSE,3) where the 3 means to return the 3rd occurrance of the lookup value. Of course, #N/A if there isn't one.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Array Formula - allow us to type the curly braces instead of CSE (and make them persistent when i edit formula!)

currently we have to use Ctrl-Shift-Enter. What an odd concept. Please make array formulas easy to enter just like any other formula. Either let us type in the curly braces, or add something like ARRAYFORMULA(......). At least, PLEASE make the array formula persistent. Currently if I (or any other user) even looks at the formula, they can easily break it just by pressing enter.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base