Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Conditional formatting performance improvement

Conditional Formatting;s performance needs to be improved on when being used with filters over 20k rows. We opened a Microsoft premier case and this was noted as an issue. Thank you for any improvements you can make to the tool as it's very useful.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Individual Standard Deviations for each bar in a Bar Graph

Please add the option to set a custom standard deviation for each bar, rather than "series". It can be implemented using formulas like 530±79 or as part of the chart design UI.

I need to make bar graphs for scientific articles that include standard deviation (and p-value), where each bar has its own unique standard deviation.

For example: http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/92/12/3381/tab-figures-data
    This figure shows 535±32 to 445±31 for LQT3, and 530±79 to 503±60 for LQT2 patients.

I called the tech support and they just sent me in circles between their departments for 2 hours until they told me that feature is not…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. statusbar updates

At times, when Excel loses focus, messages sent to the statusbar no longer update (like a percent complete that increments from a macro). It would be great if Excel could somehow raise the priority of the statusbar so that any changes to the statusbar text would trigger updating that part of the screen.

Heck, maybe even when Excel isn't the active window- to be able to see percent complete in the background while working in a foreground window...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Wrong error message for locked file

We had an issue with Excel 2016, where it shoved the wrong error message when trying to open a file. A user had downloaded a Gartner report online. When he tried to open the file, he got the message (in danish - i've translated for you here): "excel cannot open or save any more documents because there is not enough available memory." Would it be possible to change this error message? We used a lot of time searching for a solution for this, and eventually found that it wasnt because of memory, but because the file was locked to the…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. AutoSave uses US date and time format in Header

The new autosave functionality ignores regional settings in Windows, and seems to be using Windows UI display language to determine format of "Last Saved" in the header.

It should use whatever the user has set up in regional settings like the rest of Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Don't update the date saved when you've merely viewed a file

Don't update the date saved when you've merely viewed a file and closed it rather than saved it: leave the original saved date.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. A "DO" button

This comes from all the Paste|Special ideas and someone who'd like a Trim button.

How about a "DO" button, or some similar name. Always visible, one clicks on it and it opens for input. Any formula that has a single input could be typed in and telling the input box to DO it would perform the formula on anything highlighted.

The result would be as if one added a sister column to a data column, entered the formula down the column, copy-and-pasted (Paste|Special) the results into the original data column, then deleted the sister column. (Failures included...) But more than…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Expanded utility for TEXT()

Expand the application of TEXT() past numbers only. Where the number code currently goes one could instead enter a "mask" that could apply to alphanumeric characters, not just numbers.

For instance, one might have a data cell with contents "1313mockingbirdlane" and in another cell enter =TEXT(A1,"####[ ]Aaaaaaaax") and the output would be "1313 Mockingb". ( posit inserted items going inside [ ], the capital "A" meaning uppercase for that position, the lowercase "a" being lowercase for those positions, and the "x" meaning drop that position combining with the "" to mean truncate at this position. One could do…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. UI for userforms- implement PowerPoint-type options to move controls with shift-arrow

Moving and aligning controls on userforms is highly manual, and is a pain. Often, the developer is stuck manually editing the left, top properties to ensure alignment. Small changes to position are not possible with mouse drag.

It would be great if we could nudge controls with shift-arrow while selected, or select multiple shapes and have the options of 'align left/top/right/etc.' and distribute evenly vertically/horizontally

There is also something weird about how controls are multi-selected with the mouse (overlapping controls selected even if they are not under the mouse) that might be addressed at the same time?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Fix the various read-only use cases

There are a number of complaints already posted about opening Excel files stored in SharePoint. Excel 2016 has two issues that are extremely annoying and confusing to end users who don't give a s*** about collaboration or the various other reasons that Microsoft seems to feel make it necessary to opening workbooks a pain. From a user's perspective:

1) having to click a button to edit workbooks they open daily is a productivity impediment. The number of help desk tickets we get about this is also an IT issue that.
    2. If a user is able to open a file…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Collapse all lower level fields by default when adding or removing field at a higher level

Ppowerpivot update is slow when adding or removing fields to pivot rows. This is probably because of too many calculations are performed when a field is added or removed at a higher level. For example, I have 5 fields on row area (say 10 Department, 100 Subgroups, 1000 Cost centers, 20 GL Account and 200 unique comments on variance). If I remove top field (department field in this example), all lower level fields are fully expended and calculated. It takes a lot of time to update.

However, If I remove/add a field from bottom with higher level fields fully collapsed,…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Quicker find tool, more like what web browsers have

The popup "Find" window is so last decade. Can we have a quicker find tool? Word has a "Navigation" sidebar that makes searching so much easier - because of the nature of Excel spreadsheets it might be better to have a horizontal bar rather than a vertical sidebar.

I do a lot of searching within Excel workbooks, and one EXTREMELY annoying thing about the existing Find window is that the Ctrl+A shortcut for "Select All" doesn't work. But let's just get rid of that dialog altogether and replace it with a modern, integrated interface.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Excel 2016: [View Update] leads to misunderstanding

Dear team,

I love Excel, and am using version 2016.

When go to [File] > [Account] > [Update Options] > [View Updates], I can see a "What's new in Office 365" web page.
    I expect update history of my Excel by [View Updates], because [View Updates] says "See the update history for this product".

You should show me update history of my Excel, or change the name of [View Update] or change its explanation with other words.

I strongly hope you will take some actions.

Best regards,

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow The Filter to Search All Lines of a worksheet

Love Excel 2016, but find it limited in the way I work....Delighted that worksheets have so many lines.
    Frustrated that column filter will only filter about 10,000 lines, why have a great worksheet program that falls short when you need to filter and search columns....I for one need to filter search the entire worksheets. No good at Macros to complicated.
    Please Help.

Regards Ian.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Aggregates to continue to display in the status bar of two instances of excel when clicking either instance

If Book A and Book B are shown in two Excel processes, then the aggregates will continue to display in the status bar of Book A (and you can show a different set in the status bar of Book B).

The ways to start two processes is:

• Start > Run > excel /x, open Book A

• Start > Run > excel /x open Book B

I would like to have this feature added to Excel by just opening two instances of excel instead of having to start two excel processes.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Please please please make the "Save As" button which I always put in my Quick Access Toolbar available on Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.

Bring back the Save As button for the Quick Access Toolbar! I used to use it all the time on older versions of Office.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Charts in Excel 2016 is complete nightmare

Note: speaking about line charts and column charts.

1) XLS does not recognise table headline (left/top) as axis description (even if it is formatted as date or the number is a year). Not speaking about the top left cell, where usually you have name of the table. I always must change data source, add lables, etc.

2) if you delete first data point, of a time series, the time series data-points on the chart moves, however, in the source table it stays the same - if I want to do that, I rather change the table

3) if you have…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Put 'Insert' row & column in the Insert menu bar rather than Home.

Currently to use a menu item for Insert Row or Column you need to go to the Home menu tab. Surely the logical place is in the Insert menu tab!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base