Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Option to hide the "tell me" box

The "tell me" box is quite intrusive, and for someone like me that never uses it, it's quite irritating. Can we have an option to hide it please? (Same goes for the "Share" button, actually, now that I think about it...)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow users to continue to view the worksheet when saving in excel. This version hides the workbook when saving which is not good.

Allow users to continue to view the worksheet when saving in excel. This version hides the workbook when saving which is not a good user experience. When working with multiple workbooks it is making my job significantly harder when I try to save my work and have to stop because I can no longer view which workbook I am in. Terrible change from the previous version.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Scroll wheel click to grab the screen

Make the scroll wheel click enable the cursor to grab the screen. You could then throw the worksheet around, providing more intuitive control when navigating the worksheets. The current functionality has always been, well let's say politely, a bit hit and miss.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Option to deactivate ctrl+↓ type shortcuts.

Option to deactivate ctrl+↓ type shortcuts. There are more times were you are just Ctrl+v, ↓, Ctrl+v, ↓, etc. than the times you need to go to the end of the dataset. And obviously, even if activated, check whether the rest of the column is blank, so it does not take you 1048576 rows down.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow sort warning to be (temporary) disabled

I understand it's there to make sure users know what's happening, but there should be a way to disable the "Sort Warning" error that is shown when a user attempts to sort a single column.

Currently, when having to sort multiple single columns, a user must confirm their choice every time they do it. This is time consuming and pointless after the first couple of times it's shown. It wouldn't be so bad if it remembered your last choice, so a user could just hit enter to continue, but every time the choice has to be selected and then the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Fix protection issue.

Currently stumbled upon a way to unprotect a workbook without the use of the usually required password. I am currently using Excel 2013 for reference.

I had a file that was password protected for which I did not have the password. After a quick google search I found that if you save the file as a 97-2003 version that you can then go and just push the "Unprotect" button and you will not need to use the password.

After this you can resave the file to your desired excel version and it will be unlocked for your use.

While this…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Format Count Function

Count items in a row that have a certain format like bold, italic, what color it is, ect...

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Prompt "Are you sure you want to change cell contents, Yes or No" when clicking on a protected cell.

I want to be able to change protected cells without having to unprotect the whole sheet/workbook, make the change and then protect it again, which is somewhat of a hassle.
    I find often that I accidentally cleared or changed cells in unprotected sheets, thus losing the data.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Make CSV column width match text length by default

I'm thrilled that you've finally fixed some longstanding Excel CSV annoyances lately (the data loss nag and UTF-8 support), but there's one more that still bothers me -- when opening a CSV file in Excel, the columns are always the same fixed ~16 character width, and usually have to be expanded to be viewed. Office should try to size columns to match the width of the data by default.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Conditional Formatting caused a huge delays when undoing a paste (or using CTRL-Z)

With 16 GB of RAM and a super fast processor undoing (or ctrl - z) of a paste takes 2 minutes to undo conditional formatted cells.

If you copy bunch of cells, paste them on a new Excel or same Excel document, and then attempt to undo the paste, it takes 2 to 3 minutes. Pasting it does not take that long.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Chi Sq / Z Test with N and Rates, not ranges

I would love easier stat testing, namely chi sq or z test, but where the input values are simply the population sizes and respective incidence rates in two populations, rather than a range of cells. That is, you can conduct a comparison between the incident rates for a particular variable based on summary data, rather than having to select ranges of all the raw data in a set.

For example, if I know that in Set A, with 524 records, 27% of the records are female and in another set with 2,469, 32% are female, with those four variables, I…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. powerpivot

Our product is delivered as an Excel add-in because most of our users are in finance and Excel is their preferred operating environment.

Our customers end up with large amounts of clean, structured data in their applications and we would like to give them easy access to it using the MS Power BI stack.

In principle users could gain access to this data themselves using the various capabilities that MS has built into Power BI but there really is no reason for the users to do this heavy lifting themselves. Our application contains all of the meta-data about their application…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. MultiCharts

En ocaciones se quiere presenta información en gráficos relacionados, o datos relacionados en un gráfico, pero solo se permiten dos ejes, seria genial poder trabajar con más de dos ejes para darle más poder a la expresión gráfica.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow user to specify how many blank rows to be inserted

It would be great if the dialog box for inserting a new row or coloumn had the option to specify how many rows or columns you wish to insert.

Eg 3, 4 or 10 (just a little text box would do, similar to that when it asks how many copies of a document to print.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Rolling freeze panes

A rolling frozen pane option that allows you to freely scroll up to the top, but keeps at a minimum the chosen header row.

E.g. if row 20 is the headers of the data, you freeze this row. As you scroll down rows 1:19 disappear until only row 20 always remains showing. As you scroll back up, when you get to the top of your data it starts scrolling back into rows 1:19.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Useful to group pivots vertically

It's currently easy to group a series of dates into weeks or months vertically but not so easy horizontally

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base