Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow multiple interest rates with Future Value formula

if you have a different interest rate in future years you should be able to input the different interest rates in the Future Value formula

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. County Mapping Major Improvements Needed Listed!

Mapping for counties need some major improvements. Listed below are my suggestions that will hopefully get some consideration:

1. Keep the counties from graphically running together filling in prominent bodies of water such a the Great Lakes, Long Island Sound, Chesapeake Bay and Delaware Bay.

2.Don't limit the Key Listing to 20 names.

1. Give options to separately show and control outlines to the states, and the whole U.S. itself.

2. To have state abbreviations as an option with controls also.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Pivot layout spacer column

I would like to be able to insert a spacer column for purely layout purposes.
    It would be nice to be able to do this without fiddling around with "dummy" columns and such.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Diverging Bar Charts

Hi @Office, it has become common to describe Likert scale survey data as a diverging bar chart as it better visualizes the central tendencies of the data. Myself and some other researchers have been "hacking" it using these guides as references: http://stephanieevergreen.com/diverging-stacked-bars/ and http://peltiertech.com/diverging-stacked-bar-charts/ … . It would be amazing not to have to rely upon such time-consuming / expensive techniques though (more so if there is a neutral category) :)

Attached is an example of what I have made through the convoluted processes described above.

Thanks!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Excel - VLookUp

1 - The online help file regarding Vlookup does not specify that the matching values in the range must be sorted in ascending order. All of the examples show the data sorted in ascending order, but the directions do not specify that.

2 - Do you have normal users try to follow the published directions for the use of MS Programs, formulas, etc? This would be an excellent way to determine if your examples and directions are good. Normally, I find solutions outside of MS help files because they quite often are too confusing. I have an MBA and have…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Open source via right click menu

Please make it possible to open the excel source file via the right click menu in cells with external links.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Fill justify removes text formatting like subscript

Formatting of text (like subscript or underline) is removed when it moves down to other rows when using Fill Justify. It would be better if the formatting was maintained.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Excel 2016 / 365 crashes on Exit when using a ActiveX control in the sheet

Under certain conditions Excel 2016 crashes on exit when an ActiveX control was used. Excel tries to recover data and restarts.

This problem seems to affect only Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016.
    Repairing office does not help. It also occurs on a new system with only Office installed.
    BTW Using Windows 10 Insider and/or newer Office versions (Current channel 1611 or even the insider version) have the same issue.

It's easy to recreate the problem:

Launch Excel
    Go directly to the Developer tab (if the delevoper tab is not activated yet, please activate, close Excel and start again, Opening…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Annoyance: Entire spreadsheet is selected after a search fails.

1) Search for a non-existent string in a spreadsheet.
    2) Hit Escape twice (why twice?) to close dialogs (or use pointing device)
    3) Entire spreadsheet is selected.
    Why does this happen? It never happened with previous versions of Excel and is distracting.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Constants/Parameter Side Bar

I think it would be a good idea to have a constants side bar. This side bar would have 2 columns, one to name a value and one for the value. It would be static and would not scroll with the sheet. It would also be consistent across different sheets. I often need the use constants / parameters in my sheets and it can be annoying to change them if I want to see new results. Having a pervasive sidebar would allow me to update and view the results on the fly. The name of the constant /parameter could also…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Option to hide the "tell me" box

The "tell me" box is quite intrusive, and for someone like me that never uses it, it's quite irritating. Can we have an option to hide it please? (Same goes for the "Share" button, actually, now that I think about it...)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow users to continue to view the worksheet when saving in excel. This version hides the workbook when saving which is not good.

Allow users to continue to view the worksheet when saving in excel. This version hides the workbook when saving which is not a good user experience. When working with multiple workbooks it is making my job significantly harder when I try to save my work and have to stop because I can no longer view which workbook I am in. Terrible change from the previous version.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Scroll wheel click to grab the screen

Make the scroll wheel click enable the cursor to grab the screen. You could then throw the worksheet around, providing more intuitive control when navigating the worksheets. The current functionality has always been, well let's say politely, a bit hit and miss.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Option to deactivate ctrl+↓ type shortcuts.

Option to deactivate ctrl+↓ type shortcuts. There are more times were you are just Ctrl+v, ↓, Ctrl+v, ↓, etc. than the times you need to go to the end of the dataset. And obviously, even if activated, check whether the rest of the column is blank, so it does not take you 1048576 rows down.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow sort warning to be (temporary) disabled

I understand it's there to make sure users know what's happening, but there should be a way to disable the "Sort Warning" error that is shown when a user attempts to sort a single column.

Currently, when having to sort multiple single columns, a user must confirm their choice every time they do it. This is time consuming and pointless after the first couple of times it's shown. It wouldn't be so bad if it remembered your last choice, so a user could just hit enter to continue, but every time the choice has to be selected and then the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Fix protection issue.

Currently stumbled upon a way to unprotect a workbook without the use of the usually required password. I am currently using Excel 2013 for reference.

I had a file that was password protected for which I did not have the password. After a quick google search I found that if you save the file as a 97-2003 version that you can then go and just push the "Unprotect" button and you will not need to use the password.

After this you can resave the file to your desired excel version and it will be unlocked for your use.

While this…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Format Count Function

Count items in a row that have a certain format like bold, italic, what color it is, ect...

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Prompt "Are you sure you want to change cell contents, Yes or No" when clicking on a protected cell.

I want to be able to change protected cells without having to unprotect the whole sheet/workbook, make the change and then protect it again, which is somewhat of a hassle.
    I find often that I accidentally cleared or changed cells in unprotected sheets, thus losing the data.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base