Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Power pivot formula editing.

SQL Server 2016 has some improved DAX editing functions, as syntax coloring, multiple lines, indentation and adding comments. I like to have this in Excel Power pivot.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Include changes to Conditional Formatting in Undo

If a user edits or deletes an existing conditional formatting rule, and then wishes to reverse that change (for whatever reason), clicking the Undo button will NOT help as such changes are not logged. Go figure?

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Tables with rows as the headers

Tables are really great for managing data. Sometime It would be useful if the table could have the rows as the header rather than the columns. e.g. a regular excel table but transposed.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Switch to previous tab by clicking currently active one (as an option).

After (temporary) jump to some tab (sheet) in the same workbook, often I would like to return to the previously active sheet. So I need to look for the proper tab and not always it's easy. It would be much easier to activate the previous one just by clicking currently active tab. This feature could be optional.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Improve the Match Function

Make the Binary Options of Match to work on Unsorted Data
    Provide an Optional Parameter for Search Instance
    =MATCH(What to Search,Where to Search,[Match Type],[Match Instance])

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Improve graph creation and customization

When graphing it's a nightmare to make something with error bars or to create a good legend ... etc. Please make it possible to insert a group as a single value for a bar chart. Select the group, ask the chart to display the mean (or median or whatever statistic), and from there ask it to display error bars and so on.

Speaking of error bars, I think it's necessary to add the option of changing the width of the flat caps. Having larger charts is excruciating.

Another problem with the charts is that I can't specify the range easily.…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature request which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

For your last item, could you provide a sample workbook showing your problem?

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

7. Add a hotkey for the format painter

For something that is used so much, I can't understand why there isn't a hotkey for it yet.
    Yes I could make my own with a customisable ribbon, but I would really like to not have to do that every time I sit at a new computer

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Non-unique names in the Name Manager

Go to the Name Manager and click "New". Fill in the "Comment" and "Refers to" sections. Set the Name and Scope to a combination that already exists. Excel will complain and reload the New Name window, erasing everything that you had typed before. This can be quite punishing for such a simple mistake if your formula is long and complicated or if you optimized your comment to fit within the character limit. Excel should instead just return you to the New Name window that you had before.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Editing calculated fields from the PivotTable Fields pane & renaming calculated fields

It has always confused me that I can see my calculated fields in the PivotTable Fields pane but cannot edit them from there. Instead, I have to go "Analyze" tab, "Fields, Items, & Sets", "Calculated Field", and choose the calculated field from the dropdown list. We should be able to add, modify, and delete calculated fields from the PivotTable Fields pane, perhaps through a right-click menu.

We should also be able to rename a calculated field. Currently, if you "rename" a calculated field, the "Modify" button becomes "Add". In other words, to rename a calculated field, you have to add…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow multiple attempts when entering a password

When opening a password protected file, if you type it incorrectly, you have to open the file again and type it in. Similarly, if you click to open the file twice, and type the password correctly, the second file will then open, forcing you to type the password again. If you hit cancel on the second file, the first (correctly authenticated) workbook will close.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add support for Epoch time in Date & Time cell formatting options

I frequently work with data where date and time are represented in the Epoch time-stamp format, or where it is preferable to use this format for scripting purposes. Please add support for Epoch time-stamps so that intermediate processing of time-stamps is not required when importing the data to excel.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Alternative number systems as formatting (in particular, binary, octal, and hexadecimal)

The main problem with DEC2BIN, DEC2OCT, and DEC2HEX is that they return text. If you want to do an operation on the "numbers" returned by those functions, you have to operate on the original decimal numbers and use the same conversion function on that. It is impossible to work directly in that alternative number system.

Instead, we should just be able to change the appearance of a decimal number through formatting and do our math on that. There can of course be an indicator of the number system as part of the formatting, probably a subscript.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add a method to create two-directional cell links. Typing in any one of the cells updates the other linked cell. Currently the only way I kn

Add a method to create two-directional cell links. Typing in any one of the cells updates the other linked cell. Currently the only way I know this can be done is through VB scripts in "thisworkbook".

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. ellipsis abbreviation for cells with lots of text

My spreadsheets have come cells with a small amount of text in, and some with a large amount. I want to be able to show each row as the same row height regardless of how much text is in a cell, but let the reader know that a particular cell has more text in that what they can see with a single row height. On some web pages there is an ellipsis button (sometimes a 'read more' button) where you can click to expand. It would be great if i could add this so that a cell with lots of…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Sum quarters more easily.

A formula function that sums quarters from a year's data series. It is easy to sum the entire year (all 12 columns) for example. But to sum each quarter, its a manual process.

For example, =quarter(full year series,1) result equals sum of 1st 3 columns. Or =quarter(full year series,3) result equals sum of 7th, 8th, 9th column)

Thanks!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Slicers for fields in PivotTables and PivotCharts

I've had to duplicate so many PivotTables due to not being able to swap out fields in PivotTables.

Suppose that I have a fuel table like this:

Month....Volume (L)....Cost
    `````````````````````````````````````````
    Jan.........5...................$60
    Feb........4...................$70

If I want to be able to specify whether a PivotTable or PivotChart shows volume or cost or both, then I have to flatten the table further:

Month....Value....Value Type
    ````````````````````````````````````
    Jan.........5..........Volume (L)
    Jan.........$60......Cost
    Feb.........4..........Volume (L)
    Feb.........$70......Cost

This is fine for manually entered data (sort of). Even though the fields are selectable via Slicer, the PivotTable will only make sense if only only one of volume or cost is…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Cannot open files saved after assigning graph series values names that use structured references

Since graphs series cannot contain formulas, if you want to make a graph dynamic, you must use a name (in the Name Manager sense) that contains a formula that determines the dynamic range.

However, if that name uses structured references, then when you save and reopen the file, Excel will crash and the workbook will be unusable to Excel.

To see what I mean, download this workbook:
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/a2681miflhdjxep/Graph_Crash.xlsb
    Right-click on the graph and go Select Data. Edit Series1 and change its series values to read "=s!y" (without quotes). Save, close, reopen, crash.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Group/ungroup columns and/or rows in multiple sheets at the same time

If we have multiple sheets that have the same amount of rows/columns and we need to group/ungroup certain rows/columns, we should be able to do this in one easy step. Currently we have to group/ungroup information on one sheet at a time and it's very time consuming.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Insert an image directly from a scanner

In order to insert an image from hardcopy material it is necessary to scan the material to a graphic file and then insert the graphic. It would save time and effort to insert an image directly from a scanner. For example, I scan invoices and cash register receipts from individuals to insert into a voucher for authorization to cut a check for reimbursement to the individual.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is an interesting idea. We will definitely consider it while planning our next round of features. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

20. Allow date literals in functions

Many functions like VLOOKUP, SUMPRODUCT, and IF allow dates as inputs, but you need to know the tricks for doing so. The result is a never-ending series of questions in help forums from newbies who just don't understand why their formula isn't working.

If you enter 1/15/2015 in a formula, it is treated as the small number resulting from two successive divisions instead of a date. If you enter Jan 15, 2015 in a formula, it results in an error--and if you encapsulate it in double quotes "Jan 15, 2015" if is treated as a text literal. My current workaround…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base