Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Search and Replace: differentiate between Ctrl-B and Ctrl-H again

No kidding, as of this week, Ctrl-F (Ctrl-B in swedish) and Ctrl-H do the same thing: the Search and Replace box opens, with the Search tab selected. So it is an extra Alt-R (in my case, swedish Ersätt) to get to the Replace tab. What went wrong?
    Please let the two open different tabs again, just like it was before.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. automatically remove unused ranges when saving (control file size)

Today, if a file becomes bloated due to empty range being tagged as "used", it is possible to go through each worksheet, delete the blank ranges of rows or columns after the real data, and resave to shrink the file.

Would it be possible to improve Excel's algorithm to identify used ranges, and re-scan files during the save process to reduce range sizes automatically, and save users from this file bloat?

It seems like it would be easy to detect cells without contents, so I'm guessing the current algorithm is looking at applied styles or something similar. If that were…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Fix WEBDAV drive map issue starting with release 1705.

The most current versions of the Office 365 software have caused problems opening files over a mapped WebDAV drive. This process worked up until release 1705, then stopped working with that and subsequent releases. Excel files must be copied to a local drive to be opened. This problem only occurs in Excel, not in Word, Powerpoint, or Access. The error message states that Excel 'cannot open the file', no further information. The problem does not occur when drives are mapped directly. Our WebDAV file server is running HTTP Commander, and has not been reconfigured or updated during the time frame…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Clipboard not working properly after latest updates

Windows 10 Pro v1607, OS Build 14393.1715
    Excel 2016 Office 365 ProPlus v1701, Build 8431.2079

Steps to reproduce:
    1. copy/paste a cell selection to another area
    2. copy some other text from another application, such as notepad
    3. attempt to paste newly-copied text into another cell

The result of the above is that the original copy is again pasted into the Excel workbook. The second copy is ignored.

This is not expected behavior.

The only workaround that I have found is if I clear the original "marching ants" copy selection (by pressing ESC key) before copying the second text.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Excel Linking

Since my latest excel update yesterday a multi-file, linked model is not working properly. The link within one reference file are not updating. Even when I manually edited the link to the files they did not update. Additionally, the formulae within the cells show the entire file path despite the fact that the files are open.

Do I need to recreate the formulae?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add Zoom Magnification choices between 75% and 110%

Simply add in 80%, 85%, 90%, 95% zoom option buttons

I almost never use 25%, 50%, 200% and I doubt many users do use these choices much if ever.

The 75% choice always seems a bit too small to be useful, so I regularly have to Custom zoom to something between 75% and 100%.

Adding more choice between 75% and up to 110% would add considerable convenience.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Automatically finish IFERROR() with ""

The second argument of IFERROR() is currently required, but it should be optional and the default would be to replace the error with ""). There are exceptions of course, but I think the majority of users put in IFERROR() to get rid of ugly errors that they're expecting, like in a series that will be completed in the future.

I find myself retroactively adding IFERROR( to the beginning of my formulas to clean up the worksheet, but Excel requires me to also click to the end of the formula and add the second argument plus an ending parentheses. For how…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Range Bar Chart in Excel

A Range Bar Chart is very useful for displaying change between 2 points in time

Please see my web post on this

http://www.excelnaccess.com/range-bar-chart/

I was able to produce this chart in Excel using some tricks. File is attached

I would love to see this Chart in Excel's arsenal. Please could you introduce this Chart in next Excel's version.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Declined vs locked suggestions

The entire point of this site is to collect user feedback. I absolutely support your ability to review suggestions, and in some cases, decline them (at least for the foreseeable future).

However, your site is set up in a way that declined suggestions are also locked and do not allow future votes. I'd like to suggest that you leave the voting open on ideas, even if they are declined. Otherwise you are effectively saying that you want feedback on customer needs, but only if it pleases you.

You might find that a declined idea continues to gain so many votes,…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. We need NEW feedback from Admins on this topic

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/9769824-have-excel-scroll-better-when-there-are-large-cell

The following topic has topped the charts on this forum but has not received input from an admin in 2 years! This needs to be addressed.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Pivot Table sort by values over all if multiple row lable fields

Hi All,

I am looking for option if there is a option in Pivot Table to sort values over all ,if multiple row lable fields. it not needs to be sort with in multiple row lable.

Thanks in advance to vote for this idea.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Working with multiple spreadsheet on 1 page

It would be so beneficial to be able to have 2 or more spreadsheet independent of one another on one sheet. For example, you could be working on "sheet 1", start creating your spreadsheet, create whatever you are working on, set your desired columns height, width and formatting, then open "spreadsheet 2" on same page that would contain independent working columns from "spreadsheet 1". You could then set up different column height and width for this spreadsheet as well. The spreadsheets would work as if working on two different documents and have the exact same options as usual, except when…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Copy from excel and paste in ms access table (in bulk) problem

Respected Sir.
    I have an excel sheet in which there are near about 7000 entries of long text. When I copy and paste into MS Access Database columns (at once) it does not paste all Data in rows. It missed Data after 255 words.

I have also tried to paste only 60/70 rows of long text (300-500 words) but it does paste whole data. Its only paste 255 words in per row

Let me know, how to increase the data size of per row.

Note: I have already selected the rows setting in MS Access as Long Text and also…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Reinstant F9 Shortcut

In older versions of Excel, when in the formula bar you could select part of a formula and press F9 and be shown what it would evaluate to.

This doesn't work in Excel 365.

It was a very valuable shortcut for auditing formulae and seeing where something wasn't working.

Will it be put back in?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Maintain link between two tables using structured names as tables move

When linking the values of two tables of the same dimensions (not that it should matter) using structured references in the form of =Table1[2016], the values are correct as long as the second table containing the formula is aligned horizontally with the source table, rows matching up with rows.

However, as soon as either table is shifted up or down, the references act like absolute, unlinked cell references and one or more of the cells returns a #VALUE! error.

As you can see in the pictures, several methods of referencing do not work:
    a regular structured reference, i.e. Table1[2016]
    locked…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Locating cells with an error in a formula

It would be far more use if the message saying there is an error in a formula were to say where it is instead of just redirecting one to advice on how to put errors right. The latter is useful but if you can't find the error you can't correct it. If the program has detected an error, then it must know where it is so why not say?.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. sharing changes no longer allowing network sharing only one drive

we cannot share files on network drives since your change to only allow sharing on One Drive. Not everyone in our company has One Drive. Additionally, your help articles to unshare files in Legacy mode, does not work. The Legacy share options are all greyed out. This is causing us to completely recreate spreadsheets we depend on between departments.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Revert to Office being on device and NOT "Click to run".

I suffer from variable upload and download speeds depending on traffic volumes. It has been the same for over 10 years and a variety of ISP's. Recent conversion to "Click to run" has resulted in serious problems in opening the service and files on One Drive, causing severe interruption to my work.

Is there anyway to download to my device as was the norm up to the recent versions as an option?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Please make pasting from a webpage to Excel work.

When I copy from a webpage it generally fails. I end up pasting to Word (still a bit slow) then I copy from Word to Excel. If I need to paste to a single cell, a direct paste to the formula bar (not the cell) works fine

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base