Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Have a grater variety of controls to include on forms

I use forms a lot, however, there are not as much controls on the control palette like on the past. For example the date picker control...

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Respect Columns when Copying and pasting a table from a table or web site

When copying tables from a web site or other table, and pasting into an Excel Spreadsheet, the data is all put in one column. It should be pasted into separate columns. The workaround is to copy and paste one column at a time is quite cumbersome and sometimes does not work if there are blank cells.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Fix object model implementation of Top10 Auto Filters

The current implementation of the Top10 auto-filters in Excel is horrible.

There are four 'Top 10' filters: xlTop10Items, xlTop10Percent, xlBottom10Items, xlBottom10Percent

Problem 1) The names are deceiving. They are not always 10 items or 10 percent. Better names would be Top X Items or Top N Items.

Problem 2) The Excel object model does not allow the original criteria to be retrieved. If you create a Top 10 Items filter with the value 15, then the Filter.Criteria1 property will be changed to a >= criteria depending on the data in the column and the original value of 15 has no…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. I have trouble with the program crashing pretty much daily

Excel frequently stops working can't seems to see a pattern to it right now. It is extremely frustrating

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. State programming

I am missing a current-state programming feature. e.g.
    If my application is in state X (state cell A2=X) at the time I key in a value (in cell B5), then cell B7 must be set to Y, and stay unchanged when the application enters another state, until I enters a new value in cell B5.
    i.e. it is the state value that - only at key-in time - controls the setting of another cell.

=STATE A2, B7 {currrent cell:= entered value}{If A2=X;B7=Y;none}

Lars W.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Having to click the 'Enable content' button every time I open a worksheet is driving me bonkers! How do we turn it OFF?

This just seems to be a big waste of time and I don't need this feature. I want to be able to disable it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Built-in function version of Histogram. I made my own with formulas, but would prefer not to have to.

I constructed a histogram-calculator, so that it automatically updates, but it's curious such a function is not built-in.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. allow for does not equal for auto-filter, when inserting into VBA

Hello.
    Over the years, I've found that I needed a filter, which I could modify, using VBA, that would allow me to filter more than a single component when I'd activate it. Last year, I posted on the MSDN-Excel for Developers forum, and one member gave me a sample which I modified, and got to work for my purposes.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2e738c1e-ca46-4511-8d93-4ba870468aea/multifilter?forum=exceldev

I took his sample, made the changes, and now have an excellent filter tool (I posted my final solution, and have made several using different numbers of components), and thanks to VBA, I can add, remove, increase, reduce, etc... my…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Range.Value and Range.Value2 should work for non-contiguous ranges

Range.Value and Range.Value2 will return the values of only the first area in a range if the range has multiple areas.

If you are using, for example, SpecialCells to get the visible cells in a range, the range can have multiple areas and we should be able to use Range.Value and Range.Value2 to get all the visible cells values as an array instead of just getting them for the first area in the range.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Selection border is too hard to grab to move.

On my desktop the active area is one pixel wide-extremely painful to hit when dragging a lot of data! Ended up moving workflow back to ctr+c/ctr+v. Same problem as: https://www.syncfusion.com/forums/25134/thicker-excel-selection-border

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

What type of deeper integration for charting are you looking for? Currently, most of the UI is shared and they use the same charting engine.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

14. Wishing cell live update & easy checklist

I've been longing for feature like google sheet's cloud-based multiuser live update by instant sheet shareability. And easy setup for checklist with checkboxes alongside e.g. a numbered list. With this 2 features, group work can be enhanced with up-to-date status reports.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. DropBox missing from "Add a Place in Office 2016

In Office 2013 users had the ability to add non-Microsoft cloud storage providers (DropBox Google) to "Add a Place". This interoperability was a valuable asset to the user trying to use Office applications. In Office 2016 the ability to add DropBox is no longer available in the UI. The only options are Microsoft cloud stores.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Excel 2016 Bug with Cursor - Right to Left Languages

I have several computers. two of them is with Windows 10 and Office 2013/2016.
    I noticed a bug with the typing cursor.
    I use both English, a left-to-right language, and Hebrew, a right-to-left language, and each has a different typing cursor, a straight line ( | ) for left-to-right and a "hyphenated" line ( `| ) for right to left.
    The problem is that in Excel 2016, the moment I switch my language to Hebrew and type something, it locks the cursor in the right-to-left configuration, even when I switch back to English, which gets very confusing, since the appearance…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Create forms (same as Smartsheet webforms) that are easy and don't require Macros

I am wondering if you can create a Form that doesn't need VBA to enable easy data entry into a table. The Smartsheet webforms are ideal for data entry, being simple and straightforward. I know that this is possible using macros, but the problem is that not everyone knows how to use Macros.

Forms are very suitable for the Access application. However my thought was to create an easy to use form that common Excel users can create, modify, etc. This would make Excel a much more useful databasing application.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Before Copy, Before Paste, After Copy and After Paste events

Excel needs these events - before copy, before paste, after copy and after paste events to be added to the standard worksheet events. It is possible to do this with custom events and using the windows API to query the clipboard, but it is unreliable. They are necessary to be able to control how users interact with a spreadsheet that is locked down

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Provide functions that work better with dates.

For example, have a function that actually gives the day of the week spelled out instead of a number.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base