Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Renaming directly on File Title

When we try to rename the current working file, we have to use "Save As" or Close file and change name in the file list. How about change name from the File Title directly?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make sure that data labels are not overlapping

Hi!

I often use some combination of vba, pitvottables and the Offset function to get automatically updating charts. The only problem that I continously have and cannot solve is that data labels for new data Points are overalapping so that they are impossible to read. Of course I know that I can adjust this manually with drag and drop. But I would definetely like a function that automatically separates the data labels for the last data Point so that they can be read. Googled it and many people are looking for the same function and no one seem to have…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. There should be a preference to make a date only future.

When entering a date, it automatically defaults to the current year. Generally I enter dates for the future, which means I need to enter the year at least half of the time. The default should be future for one year, so from June 20, 2017 on, entering 6/19 should result in 6/19/2018 instead of 6/19/2017 as it does currently. At the minimum, there should be a preference for that.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. I have a suggestion! I'd like the objects Slicer and Timeline could be protect in the sheet, but without lose his functionality.

I have a suggestion! I'd like the objects Slicer and Timeline could be protect in the sheet, but without lose his functionality.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Restore "alt+enter" to create line break in cell because it's not working any longer in Excel 2016.

Restore "alt+enter" to create line break in cell because it's not working any longer in Excel 2016.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. paste to entire column

Please allow us to disable the ability to paste to an entire column. Or better yet, display a pop-up asking if that's what we'd like to do. I've caused Excel to crash numerous times because I have unintentionally "chosen" to paste data to an ENTIRE column(A:A). That would be extremely rare if ever. Excel will lock up as it attempts to paste the data into every single cell in that row to infinity. Depending on what was copied, the program may just crash instead and then I've lost data. Most other errors that users make in which we copy/paste incorrectly…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Aiuto! "Errore generale della posta elettronica chiudere excel, riavviare il sistema di posta elettronica e riprovare" Utilizzando Excel 2

Aiuto! "Errore generale della posta elettronica chiudere excel, riavviare il sistema di posta elettronica e riprovare"

Utilizzando Excel 2010 ed anche Word 2010 e scegliendo da file -->salva e invia --->invia come allegato, ottengo come errore

"Errore generale della posta elettronica chiudere excel, riavviare il sistema di posta elettronica e riprovare".

Stessa identico messaggio se provo ad inviare l'allegato tramite le altre opzioni disponibili.

Faccio presente che questo errore è nato da un giorno all’altro dopo che ieri Windows 10 ha fatto l’aggiornamento (2017-12 Aggiornamento Cumulativo per Windows10 versione 1709 per sistemi basati su x64 KB4054517).

Fino a martedì funzionava…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Provide detailed definitions/instructions for Ribbon Customization Commands in Excel 2016

Currently there is an alphabetical listing for Excel functions, however the 'Customize Ribbon' option does not provide any details of the commands on the 'Excel Options' list. You can hover over each option, and get an alternative access route, which doesn't help.

Is it possible to provide a 'how-to' or 'under which circumstances' a command may be valuable?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. improve convert function

Allow user to insert custom conversions. Example: I work in the oil industry and use the volume unit of barrels frequently (42 us gal /barrel). It would be nice to be able to customize.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. please allow more than 8 items on a dropdown menu

please allow more than 8 items on a dropdown menu

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add another fill option.

There could be two paint bucket icons so you could choose 2 different fill colors. That way when you are color coding data, you can easily use 2 colors instead of having to drop down and select a new color each time.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Grouped Dates in multi day buckets should sort oldest to newest

While Grouping Dates by Multi-Day Buckets, the system sorts by smallest to largest number in the month portion of a mm/dd/yyyy format... for example 9/1/2017 comes before 1/1/2017 because nine is larger...
    Excel should see the bucket as a date and order them appropriately.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Rename Columns

There have been times when I have wanted to rename columns in Microsoft Excel 2016. (For example: rename columns "A" & "B" to "Item" & "Cost"). Is that possible?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Tab arrangements

Would like the option to arrange worksheets vertically too (maybe up to 3 rows of tabs). Makes it easier when files have many worksheets.

Also, in older versions there were arrows that would let you scroll through worksheets and another set of arrows that would go to the beginning or end. The latter set of arrows is gone in the new version. I do not like that feature having been removed.

Thanks

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. There needs to be a way to prevent Google Sheets or other applications from bypassing the security features in Excel. For example, if the w

There needs to be a way to prevent Google Sheets or other applications from bypassing the security features in Excel. For example, if the workbook has hidden sheets which require a password to unlock OR if the workbook has protection within a sheet, those passwords can be completely bypassed by SIMPLY opening the excel file in Google Sheets.

I am an advanced excel user and have locked down my pricing workbooks so customers cannot see the details behind the pricing only to find out that by simply opening this well protected workbook in Google Sheets, they are now able to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Changes to colors in Format as Table

The recent update to 1705 removed several of the prior colors that I've been using for YEARS in the Format as Table. Please bring back the original colors & expand on that instead of getting rid of the colors.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Inserting elbows and not being able to keep the shape drives me crazy!

When inserting an elbow, one could hold the Ctrl key down and drag one end of the elbow to keep it from switching to the opposite shape. This is different from holding the Shift key down because it automatically switches to the opposite shape when you hold it down and drag one end of the elbow.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Salesforce permissions in power query for multiple organizations/environments

When using Power Query to access objects in Salesforce, the only login choices that are saved are for Production or Sandbox.
    Salesforce uses the user ID to determine which Production Organization or Sandbox we're accessing. Because we do work for multiple organizations, it would be useful to have the connection information stored with the workbook instead of centrally with Excel. Having to clear the permissions every time I switch a spreadsheet I'm working with is frustrating.
    Thanks! (Couldn't live without Power Query!)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Paste special borders only

When pasting formats it messes the other formats such as dates, percetage etc.
    I just want to paste borders and/or cell fill wothout it affect the data.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base