Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. vlookup for 2nd, 3rd, etc occurrance

How about something like =VLOOKUP(lookupvalue,tablearray,colindexnum,range_lookup,occurrance) like =VLOOKUP(123,A1:B100,2,FALSE,3) where the 3 means to return the 3rd occurrance of the lookup value. Of course, #N/A if there isn't one.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Array Formula - allow us to type the curly braces instead of CSE (and make them persistent when i edit formula!)

currently we have to use Ctrl-Shift-Enter. What an odd concept. Please make array formulas easy to enter just like any other formula. Either let us type in the curly braces, or add something like ARRAYFORMULA(......). At least, PLEASE make the array formula persistent. Currently if I (or any other user) even looks at the formula, they can easily break it just by pressing enter.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. FIX dropdowns across versions

Quite often when you send an Excel file to someone who does not have the same version as the originator, the dropdowns don't work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. find and replace

This is a minor issue, but annoying. When you open the Find and Replace box after using it once, the cursor is in the "Replace with:" box. Can the cursor always start in the "Find what:" box?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Dot/coma problem on numeric keyboard if switch English to another language

I use few languages in excel. (Mac office 2016/ MAC)
    All languages regional settings on mac are same: decimal=[.]
    But it works OK only for US language. When i switch to another language in excel and type numbers my numeric keyboard type [,] instead of [.]

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. VLOOKUP with exact match and sorted data

VLOOKUP formulas where you want an exact match are often accused of being slow, especially when the lookup table has a large number of rows and columns. And if you have a lot of VLOOKUP formulas, changing a value in the lookup table can result in an annoying delay while all the VLOOKUP formulas using that table recalculate.

In many cases, the user would be willing to sort the lookup table by the first column--provided that led to a significant improvement in recalc time because of a binary search. The problem is that setting the fourth VLOOKUP parameter to TRUE…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Slicers - override the pick list

Slicers are a great addition! Currently, slicers get their pick list from the Table / Pivot Table, of course. I'd like to be able to override this with a list of my own - from a range of cells.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Automatic rezip to save disk space

There's a somewhat known trick to shrink down an XLSX, XLSM, or XLSB file: change the file extension to ZIP and unzip it to reveal its contents. Then select these contents and rezip them into a ZIP file. Change the extension of this new file back to the original extension of the original file. This new file will take up less space than the original file and still work the same way. However, once you edit the file, the space savings disappear.

My suggestion is for Excel to incorporate these space savings when saving a file without having to rezip…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Formula autocomplete - select with Spacebar

Excel's autocomplete on formulae is nice, except that there doesn't appear to be a shortcut key to actually accept the suggested formula. The only way to select it afaics is to pick up the mouse and click on it, which is annoying when your hands are on the keyboard.

Apologies if a shortcut key for this already exists, though I've never found it and I also checked here:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Use-Formula-AutoComplete-6d13daa5-e003-4431-abab-9edef51fae6b

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Cortana should learn excel syntax so that I don't have to

Cortana should learn excel syntax so that I don't have to. Pretty simple, for users that don't want to learn functions such as left/right, they should simply be able to say "Cortana, take the last 3digits off that column and put them in the next column" "Make me a pie chart with the colors red white and blue"

(2015-11-05 Dan [MS] - added to Formulas and Functions category)

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Option to allow overlapping window to always be on top

When working with overlapping windows of excel it would advantageous if we had the option to treat them like shapes and layer them so that you could work on a window that sits in the back while watching the effect it has on a smaller window that sits on top/in the front. The current set up always bring forward the most active window.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Pre-formatted templates for data visualisation (e.g. tables, charts)

I see this as a modernisation, ease of use of good old excel for people who are not advanced users, or people who don't have time or many people who only need basic features - e.g. tables and (related) charts.

I love the idea I could just dump data and instantly have a nice outcome/visualisation, potentially in a box, so I could see the template coming alive as I dump/amend data.

To wrap up, all the user would need to do is to copy/paste data to populate the fields for the templates. No further action required from users, no need…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the idea. I just want make sure I understand it. Are you suggesting that we automatically create a chart when data is put in the grid? If not, is there an example you could provide?

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

14. Fix all the non informative error messsages

"The picture is too large and will be truncated",
    "Too many styles",
    There is a large selection in the clipboard..."
    "Save as csv"...
    "save failed"
    modal error boxes in the VBA editor when a line of code is not completed.
    and VBA error messages with error codes and no further explanations.

I don't think any of these error messages is helpful, they slow our workflow, and modern applications have a more graceful way of dealing with these problems.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Currency format scroll menu (or any scroll menus): a better way to find the one you need

Searching for currencies in the format menu is a pain, probably because of the sheer amount of options.

For example, try finding "R$ Portuguese (Brazil)" on that menu. It's really small, so I can only look a small number of entries at a given time. I mean, I generally remember vaguely the name of the format. For instance, with Brazilian Reais I know that there's an R and a $ at the beginning, and also that Brazil and Portuguese appear somewhere in the name. However, if I type R the menu goes to "ROL", and if I type $ it…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Filtering - Why does it snap back to A1?

When turning on filtering in a worksheet, you are automatically snapped back to A1. Typically, I turn on filtering near the column I want to filter. It's more time consuming to be at the column I want to filter and then be snapped back to the beginning, only to be left looking for that column again. Can we have the ability to turn on filtering without the snap back to A1? Thanks!

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. In EXCEL 2010 with all updates available installed, the polynomial curve fit otion only works for second power equations no matter the input

in EXCEL 2010 (with all updates installed) the polynomial curve fit option only works for second power equations even if you tell it to fit with higher power polynomials. This used to work perfectly but one of the recent updates must have affected this

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Slicers - Events

Add Events to Slicers - like ActiveXControls

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Anti-aliasing on diagonal borders

Diagonal borders are common to X out a cell. The problem is that you can see the jaggedness as the borders' edges step through each row and column of pixels. Most other visuals in Excel are smoothed out.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Grouping in Power Pivot reports

To be able to use Grouping in Power Pivot reports as is works in Pivottabels.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base