Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Excel customizations-utility to backup all

Utility to backup all user's customizations. I have a batch file to backup all my settings below but I'm not sure if I have them all.
    Custom Lists must be exported from registry and imported. Most users won't know how to export from the registry and they shouldn't attempt it either.
    It would be nice to have a utility that backups all user's customizations/settings.

book.xlsx
    sheet.xlsx
    Charts
    Custom lists
    Toolbars

Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Product Setup and Activation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. formula

Hi! I would like, if possible, to request a direct contact with one of the people of the development team of Microsoft Excel to explain an error that I found in the programming of an Excel formula.
    This error generates results that are not real mathematically, nor logically.
    I await a response and contact.
    Greetings.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Changing a power pivot calculated column using VBA

Dear Excel Team,

When working with millions of data rows power pivot is definitely the right tool.
    However, all my research came up with the same result that changing a calculated column in power pivot using VBA is not possible.
    Here an example where we would like to change a calc. column via VBA. We need to alter many different settings (based on several input columns) in order to find the optimal operating point.
    It would be wonderful if this could be considered.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. email collaborators

From within Office, you can share a doc with someone new, but not email anyone who already has access (for example, if you want to notify them that you updated the doc). I want to be able to email collaborators without having to manually open an email message in Outlook, find the sharing link on SharePoint, and lookup the emails of everyone who has access to the doc.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Stop looping error messages

There should be an option to close out of error messages. When one comes up, there are OK, Cancel, and X buttons. Clicking any of them will open the same message again. The only way to get out of it is to press CTRL+ALT+DEL and close Excel through the task manager.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Protected View

When a spreadsheet is opened from email or the web, it is automatically put into "Protected View" where little can be done with it. I need to use the data, but I want to be safe from malicious macros. It would be nice if there was an option to remove all macros from the spreadsheet allowing me to access it safely.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow Sharepoint to be a "trusted" location and open files in edit mode by default.

Even though I have sharepoint locations set up as a Trusted Locations, Excel will not default to opening those files in Edit mode. I have all of my frequent files pinned, and they all default to read-only mode when I open them. This means many many extra clicks every day as virtually everything I work on is located on sharepoint.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Optimize an quotient with Solver Add-In

The ability to optimization an quotient for example for indicators of profitabilty, economic and so on from companies.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make the ribbon narrower in 2016 version. It takes too much of the workspace

Screen real state has been reduced too much in 2016

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. To improve any Office App is...

Any update to one of the any of the Office Programs must obey to the following simple principles:
    a) Make all the Office package easier to be used;
    b) Make all the Office package more powerful/useful/colaborative;
    c) Make all the Office package more secure.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Paste Special - add Append (&) to the Operation section (there is even space for it!)

This would allow one to easily add text to the end of cells without having to create a new formula.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow users to paste into excel using the format that the cell is assigned, rather than the format of the source.

Allow users to paste into excel using the format that the cell is assigned, rather than the format of the source.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow student, current users to add expired, retired themes for Excel

Allow student, current users of Excel to add expired, expanded, retired themes. I am a student and am being asked to change my theme in Excel to 'Celestial'- of which I cannot-it is not present within the current options. Why can we not do this -just as we easily are able to when we choose to change our desktop themes? Sad face :( ......

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Unwanted "Copy of " profix added to file names

When I am sent a file via email, and I save it to my computer, it always adds "Copy of " to every fine name. It is very annoying to have to delete this every time. Is there a way to turn this feature off? I have searched online but not found solutions that are usable for non-programmers.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. add language independence, AI help, and GUI Web services with Intellisense to macros

The macro recorder & editor can be improved on by giving the user the ability to change the macro's programming language, on the fly, while editing. The macro editor should have a built-in language converter.

Before you say it can’t be done, remember that we are at a point where AI is evolving so fast that the “can’t be done” list is evaporating before our very eyes, every day. Also, if Microsoft is indeed ‘Infusing AI Into Every Product and Service’ It Offers:

https://www.seeker.com/tech/artificial-intelligence/microsoft-is-infusing-ai-into-every-product-and-service-it-offers

then why not programming itself?

So back to the improved macro language converter, I would recommend…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Can you please change the source string for "clear filter" in Excel to "Show All"

When "clear filter" (on the ribbon and on right clicking a table) is translated into other languages it can sometimes be translated as "Delete filter" . Users of localised versions of Office think that something is deleted and seldom use it. Would you please consider using "show all" or "no filter"? Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. The name of the file should appear at the top of page before the file is saved

A file name should appear when clicking Ctl-S and we should be able to edit the file name/directory before it saves it to the default.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Bug in the "=proper" function

The "=proper" function incorrectly capitalizes the possessive s (e.g. Joe'S), and the letter following a number (e.g. 5Th). It's extremely time consuming to fix these errors.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Quit changing my data

Quit changing my data. If I enter 10.00 into a cell that is what needs to stay there. Formatting can change the display of the data but you must stop changing what I enter.

This really matters to those of us in technical fields. I (and my colleagues) know the difference between 10 and 10.00, and it matters to us.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base